KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

decent ending to a pretty good show

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2016 10:41 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

My biggest disappointment from the finale was that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: we didn't get to see Dracula fight Ethan in his wolfman form.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2016 03:47 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
My biggest disappointment from the finale was that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: we didn't get to see Dracula fight Ethan in his wolfman form.
Felt like everything was rushed.

Could have definitely used another episode.

Dorian Gray storyline went absolutely nowhere this season, that was a huge disappointment.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2016 04:36 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm just so sick of hearing Lily whine about her previous shitty life. We get it: men treated you bad, but you were also kind of a skeevy diseased hooker.

Dorian Gray should of slapped the utter shit out of that one chick who dared to put a blade to his throat and talk back to him.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2016 05:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Felt the last half or so and especially the ending ep were lacking. Gray's arch was all but pointless, introducing Jekyll was kind of worthless. As Mindset said, really felt rushed.

Almost like they expected another season and mid-way through filming they were told, 'no, wrap it up as is'.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 24th, 2016 08:05 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not a fan of how it ended. It indeed did feel like halfway through the season they found out there would be no 4th season. They also for some reason chose to air the final 2 episodes on the same day, when for the other seasons they never did that. Almost like the network was really eager to just get this show over with. Maybe it was the ratings? Though it did average at least half a million viewers each episode. I don't know how successful those numbers are considered by the network. On a normal network they would be bad ratings, but Showtime is a network not a lot of people have.

The plot with Caliban and his family was just awful and boring to me. The plot with Ethan really felt like it didn't go anywhere. The plot with Frankenstein and Jekyll felt the same way. You could say the same about the plot with Lily and Dorian Gray. Every other scene with Lily has the person who plays her really overacting.

I also expected sooner or later for Ethan to find out Brona(Lily) was still alive, but it never happened.

Last edited by Surtur on Jun 25th, 2016 at 06:38 PM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2016 06:30 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

They should have just ended it at season 2

Old Post Jun 26th, 2016 01:41 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Mindset
Felt like everything was rushed.

Could have definitely used another episode.

Dorian Gray storyline went absolutely nowhere this season, that was a huge disappointment.

Yeah, one more episode would have been perfect.

Pisses me off that Ethan's wolfman powers ended up not being necessary to save the day (all he really needed was a gun and a distraction) after two seasons of being told that only the "Wolf of God" could save the world. Seems to me like anyone could have just killed Vanessa if they had the chance.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2016 01:45 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Mindset
They should have just ended it at season 2

Either that or ended it at season 3 but added about 4-5 episodes onto the season.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2016 05:31 PM
Arachnid1

Finally finished this show. Shit ending. So many leftover plotlines.

No Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde transformation? No Ethan finding out about Frankenstein's happenings with the corpse of his love? In fact, the entire team never found out about Dr. Frankenstein's other life. The monster also stayed completely separate from the team the entire time, when he would have made a great addition. Lily just walks off and disappears (which I guess I'm actually kind of thankful for, annoying character). Dracula just flying off and leaving the team was also pretty wtf worthy. He should have murdered them all in a fit of rage. He spent thousands of years waiting for Vanessa (way more actually), but we get no closure to him or his storyline. They could have at least had him killed by Sir Malcolm to give their story lines an ending. Vanessa randomly playing and making it into heaven at the end was also strange. She read from the book of the devil, cursing her soul right there. She burned her Jesus cross. She willingly made a choice that she knew would lead to the death of likely millions (though "only" ended up killing a few thousand). Still, she somehow makes it into heaven after one prayer.

Also, Dr. Frankenstein remained a pointless and incapable part of the team. They might as well have given a child a gun and welcomed it in. After he became Van Helsings protege in season 1, I always figured he'd become more capable when it came to the occult (or at least specialize in vampires). This would have been more fun than his arc with Lily and Jekyll, both of which went nowhere, and would have made him a respectable part of the team. I also didn't like his arc becoming completely separate from Calibans. They should have been tied together for the duration of the show, for better or worse.

Speaking of never joining the team, I'm actually glad they kept Dorian separate from the rest of them. He, and Frankenstein's original novels are the only ones I've read. Him joining the team really wouldn't fit his character. He's not a savior. If anything, the new world would be a breath of fresh air for him, so I actually liked where his story went. We finally got to see the character I've been waiting for since season 1 in him. I was getting real tired of the respectful nice boy the show was playing up. In the end, they actually did his character justice, though I predicted basically everything he ended up doing (only because I know the character well).

I'm also still salty about Van Helsing being absolutely wasted back in season 1. Instead, we get a random psychologist and a poverty Selene (Underworld) randomly joining this late into the game? Terrible characters.

They handled the ending poorly. That said, everything that happened in the West was gold. Brian Cox was the best part of this season. I wouldn't have minded an entire season centering around him as the villain. Amazing character.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Jul 18th, 2016 at 06:43 AM

Old Post Jul 18th, 2016 06:40 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Just finished this too and I agree with most of your post.

The end was rushed and plots were left unresolved . I think it was because the series was canceled out of nowhere. Im sure they were planing more seasons but for whatever reasons they had to end it asap.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2016 07:01 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yep Showtime gets rid of this but hey we need "The Affair" around to continue.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2016 12:18 PM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Finally finished this show. Shit ending. So many leftover plotlines.

No Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde transformation? No Ethan finding out about Frankenstein's happenings with the corpse of his love? In fact, the entire team never found out about Dr. Frankenstein's other life. The monster also stayed completely separate from the team the entire time, when he would have made a great addition. Lily just walks off and disappears (which I guess I'm actually kind of thankful for, annoying character). Dracula just flying off and leaving the team was also pretty wtf worthy. He should have murdered them all in a fit of rage. He spent thousands of years waiting for Vanessa (way more actually), but we get no closure to him or his storyline. They could have at least had him killed by Sir Malcolm to give their story lines an ending. Vanessa randomly playing and making it into heaven at the end was also strange. She read from the book of the devil, cursing her soul right there. She burned her Jesus cross. She willingly made a choice that she knew would lead to the death of likely millions (though "only" ended up killing a few thousand). Still, she somehow makes it into heaven after one prayer.

Also, Dr. Frankenstein remained a pointless and incapable part of the team. They might as well have given a child a gun and welcomed it in. After he became Van Helsings protege in season 1, I always figured he'd become more capable when it came to the occult (or at least specialize in vampires). This would have been more fun than his arc with Lily and Jekyll, both of which went nowhere, and would have made him a respectable part of the team. I also didn't like his arc becoming completely separate from Calibans. They should have been tied together for the duration of the show, for better or worse.

Speaking of never joining the team, I'm actually glad they kept Dorian separate from the rest of them. He, and Frankenstein's original novels are the only ones I've read. Him joining the team really wouldn't fit his character. He's not a savior. If anything, the new world would be a breath of fresh air for him, so I actually liked where his story went. We finally got to see the character I've been waiting for since season 1 in him. I was getting real tired of the respectful nice boy the show was playing up. In the end, they actually did his character justice, though I predicted basically everything he ended up doing (only because I know the character well).

I'm also still salty about Van Helsing being absolutely wasted back in season 1. Instead, we get a random psychologist and a poverty Selene (Underworld) randomly joining this late into the game? Terrible characters.

They handled the ending poorly. That said, everything that happened in the West was gold. Brian Cox was the best part of this season. I wouldn't have minded an entire season centering around him as the villain. Amazing character.

I agree with most of what you've said here, the one thing I'd want to point out though is that this wasn't Dracula's last chance to get with the mother of evil and bring about the apocalypse. The Mother of Evil curse seems to pass on like a mantle from tragic woman to tragic woman--Vanessa wasn't the first and she won't be the last. Dracula probably figured it was time to cut his losses. To add to that, he might have been genuinely too distraught to do anything but flee since he seemed to legitimately care for Vanessa in his own way.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2016 04:50 PM
Ascendancy

Well, there's really nothing for me to say that hasn't been said. Seasons 1 and 2 were amazing. 3 just felt rushed and there were so many things that went nowhere. Mr. Hyde never coming into play and Dorian's weaksauce exit--though I'm guessing both were due to them calling a sudden halt to the ending--were garbage. Much of what went on in America was over the top and rushed as well. Ethan not even having to use his wolf form to break the curse. They literally could have had John Claire show up and talk Vanessa into taking a bullet if that was all it took, and he honestly understood her better than Ethan, even if he didn't fully know why.

Season 2 was so, for lack of a better word, dreadful, and some things like the psych angle and what went on during the fugue state were great and gave me hope for season 3, but for the most part it was just poo.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2016 02:05 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I dunno... I thought season two was a bit too much at times. Too much into the bizarre occultness, too 'dreadful' as you put it, too much suffering that is healed too soon and then starts again... I mean, how much suffering can Ms Ives take... that's what I was wondering all the time... And mostly: why? What is it with her that all these occult creatures want her, make her suffer and why does she go on?

Season three felt, to me at least, more profound, refined and balanced.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2016 01:44 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

S2 was the best season of the show.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2016 09:09 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well, I disagree. wink

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2016 01:11 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Personally I loved season 1 above all.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2016 06:19 PM
Mindset

S2 had the best story and character development.

But to each their own.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2016 09:15 PM
queeq
Chaos

But Season 2 also had most of the boring Frankenstein Monster story. ;-)

Old Post Sep 4th, 2016 08:12 AM