KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Daredevil

Daredevil
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « First ... « 30 31 [32] 33 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Outside of The Punisher stuff, Season 2 was pretty mediocre.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2018 11:07 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Season 2 is definitely the weakest season, but still better than a lot of seasons of a lot of other superhero shows.

I'm still extremely annoyed though. It's one thing to axe a show if the quality or viewership is down. But when the show is as strong as it's ever been, to have it cut seemingly because of a pissing contest between two companies leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2018 04:56 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Agreed, the black sky stuff is dumb. Still a good season, but all Elektra was, is an evil kung fu fighter on par with Daredevil.

One bad point, amid a lot of good.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2018 06:14 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

That's a pretty big point though. It was the main point of the entire season. It also killed Defenders (though that had problems outside of ninja mumbo jumbo). Everything with Punisher (episodes 1-4 and episode 9) was top notch, but everything else was meh and the ending was fumbled.

PWNT

Old Post Dec 8th, 2018 10:12 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Dec 12th, 2018 11:41 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Welp, then these shows in their current form are very much dead. No way are they going to resurrect these shows, with the same actors, tone and narrative style, after a 2 year absence, onto a streaming service catering to a PG-13 demographic.

At best, we might get a kid-friendly reboot 2-3 years down the line, with maybe some of the main actors from the current shows (but probably not, due to Netflix still keeping the original seasons with those actors) and a completely different tone.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2018 03:25 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Great season. Up there with season 1 and the punisher episodes from season 2.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2019 08:27 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rick Deckard

I'm posting my review of DD S03 - this is something I wrote after I saw the series last Fall, and is SPOILER-filled. So, if you haven't seen the season yet & want to genuinely be surprised, don't read any further:

Just finished watching the excellent DD S03. Incredible. This is not only my favorite season of DD, but also my favorite season of any Netflix Marvel super-hero show, period. Truly sublime.

As a huge fan of Frank Miller’s DD comics in the ‘80’s (both his work as artist/writer & just as writer on the later “Born Again” series), I really liked how they brought in various elements from both “Born Again” and FM’s other DD comics (Kingpin finding out Matt's secret identity; Kingpin's goons locking Matt in a car - running it into the water - and Matt escaping; Bullseye getting his back broken; Matt’s long-lost mother being a Nun that helps take care of him as he’s recovering from injuries; a physical confrontation between Matt & Fisk; etc.) – but at the same time changed everything around to a great extent so that you were kept guessing until the very end.

-The casting in this Netflix DD show is excellent; all of these roles were spot-on. Initially I felt that they should have gotten an actor with red hair for the Matt Murdock role – but, Charlie Cox personifies the character so well that it doesn’t matter. I.e., for the most part, he definitely looks like Matt from the comic – especially in a suit w/the dark glasses, etc. Foggy & Karen are great casting as well. However, Vincent D. as Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin truly nails this role completely – superb.

-Very impressed with the long, extended fight scene between Matt & the criminals in the prison; this was obviously one continuous shot from beginning to end – well-done.

-In the comics, Bullseye was an almost nameless assassin that was part of DD’s “Rouge Gallery”. Miller didn’t create the character, but definitely made him more ruthless than he had been previously. You never found out much about the character's background whatsoever. However, in this Netflix series, the character of Poindexter (who was never referred to as Bullseye – yet) was humanized to a great extent re: his terrible childhood/absence of parents, etc. That being said, the character was obviously a psychopath from Day 1, as evidenced by his flash-backs and the taped interviews (as a child) to the psychiatrist. And, Matt also grew up without parental guidance (his Mother left him, and his father was killed while Matt was a kid) – but ended up fighting for good, instead of evil. So, as in the comics, Bullseye & Daredevil are almost two sides of the same coin.

I also liked how they kept Bullseye's ability to determine the trajectory/balance/weight of the items he threw so they would hit their targets, either directly or indirectly because of ricochet, etc.; and, also his ability to use every-day, seemingly harmless objects as weapons. This was spot-on re: the way the character's skills were depicted in the comics - well-done!

-The scene when Ray Nadeem’s female boss suddenly & viciously killed that other agent (at her kitchen table) was shocking & not something I saw coming; seeing Fisk’s “spokesman” Felix Manning come out from nowhere & explain how they were going to frame Nadeem (if he didn’t do what they wanted/asked) showed how far-reaching Fisk’s influence went – very disturbing.

-Nice to see Annabelle Sciorra as mob boss Rosalie Carbone. She's a great NY-based?! actress, and has been in a lot of movies/TV shows over the year; my favorite previous role of hers was in The Sopranos.

-Interesting & tragic to see Karen’s tragic past as a drug addict in New England, who was still trying to keep everything together re: working in the family business. The sequence when her brother died tragically in an accident (while she was driving under the influence) was quite hard to watch. This was turned around & modified from the “Born Again” series – in there, Page ended up in a downward spiral (and ended up becoming an addict, and worse) after she quit working for/with Foggy & Matt @ the law offices.

-I liked how Fisk was eventually referred to as The Kingpin (for the first time on the series) by all of the agents he had control over. Also dug the scene when he had rows of identical & numerous white suits in his closet; this kept in line with the character in the comics – who was almost always wearing the same white suit.

- I thought it was clever how Matt “used” Bullseye to help him fight the Kingpin in the last sequence. I.e., he told Bullseye the truth about the Kingpin killing the woman he liked, so Bullseye would turn against Fisk. Though he still had to fight both Fisk & Bullseye in the final showdown (in Fisk’s luxurious hotel room), obviously Matt couldn’t have brought down Fisk without Bullseye’s “help”.

-The last scene of Poindexter/Bullseye's back being operated on was very telling; obviously it was intended (before the series got cancelled) that the character will come back in a future season with a new skeletal structure - almost certainly new & improved. That’s what happens in the comics, so I suspect they planned to do something similar in the series.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 04:26 PM
Rick Deckard is currently offline Click here to Send Rick Deckard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Deckard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is Daredevil cancelled really.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 06:08 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yep. And I suspect it won't be long until the cancellation for Punisher comes through. Though there are currently fan attempts to try and save Daredevil, with petitions and such. But I doubt anything will come of it.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 06:24 PM
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

just now getting good into the season 3 arc for SMH probs my fave thus far

Old Post Jan 29th, 2019 04:27 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I wonder how much truth there is to this, because this isn't actually the first time I have seen this rumour floating about. Saw it a few months ago on a couple other sites as well, but there's been nothing concrete.

Another interesting thing I learned is that Disney already owns all the Marvel Netflix stuff (or at least ABC does, which falls under them), and apparently always did, and Netflix had actually been paying them for the airing rights.

If this is legit though, it does kind of break canon a bit, unless it's the same actor but a rebooted Matt, separate from the events from the Netflix show. Because, at this point, explicitly linking the Netflix shows as they are to the wider MCU would cause inconsistencies and contradictions. Unless we are supposed to believe that Cottonmouth and Blade are long lost twin brothers.

Of course, Feige also said the MCU is branching into the multiverse with the next phase, so I suppose they could, if they really wanted to, reintegrate the Netflix shows and just say it was an alternate timeline.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Mar 21st, 2020 at 06:46 AM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 06:39 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

The writing for the show will never even come close to the Netflix show. It just wont be the same at all in terms of quality

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 08:01 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, the rumour that's been floating around, off and on, is that it'd be a relatively small role, just as Spider-Man's lawyer, in light of what happened at the end of Far From Home.

I personally think it's somewhat wishful thinking. But, at the same time, I never thought I'd see J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson again, so who really knows? Because that 2-year window of not being able to use Daredevil should be up by the end of this year, IIRC, seeing as the show was officially cancelled end of 2018.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 10:05 AM
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
1)Unless we are supposed to believe that Cottonmouth and Blade are long lost twin brothers.

2)Of course, Feige also said the MCU is branching into the multiverse with the next phase, so I suppose they could, if they really wanted to, reintegrate the Netflix shows and just say it was an alternate timeline.

1) I think they would expect us just to ignore that. Much like we ignore the Bruce Banner and Rhodey cast changes.

2) I doubt they would go into those complications just to meld the Netflix Universe in. And honestly most the Netflix stuff wasnt that good so there wont be any desire to cross it all over. However Daredevil was so great, they have to at least be open to the possibility of using Cox and DOnofrio again.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 08:57 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 08:55 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I wouldn't say it's all that complicated. One interview where Feige says, "Yeah, we decided to incorporate them back in, so that we have more of our characters back into the same overall fold, but let them stand as a separate timeline so as not to mess with what we already have too much," would probably be enough explanation for the general audience. Because, as I mentioned, Disney technically owns it all already. They're basically just waiting for Netflix's airing rights to run out on all of them, which should be done by end 2020/beginning 2021. Because they don't need to really do anything beyond that with the other shows. If they want to reboot them fully down the line, they can back into the main timeline. And if they don't, well, they have the Netflix shows as a background filler/extra content.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 01:38 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 01:34 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Though, full disclosure, the only one I personally really do want to see back is Charlie Cox Daredevil. I would have included Punisher in here as well, but the 2nd season of that show was one of the biggest disappointments out of all the Netflix stuff for me and really left a bad taste in my mouth. IMO, it was lazy and boring writing. IMO, Punisher S2 stands with JJ S2 as some of the worst Netflix stuff. Hell, even Iron Fist S1 was a lot more enjoyable if you watched it somewhat ironically.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 01:55 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Though, full disclosure, the only one I personally really do want to see back is Charlie Cox Daredevil.

And of course DOnofrio as Kingpin.

Would love some more Bullseye too tbh. Or h1a8 could replace him.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 10:05 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I still need to watch season 3 lol

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 10:46 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Darth Thor
And of course DOnofrio as Kingpin.

Would love some more Bullseye too tbh. Or h1a8 could replace him.

Oh, I meant in the sense of Charlie Cox's Daredevil show as a whole. Should have been more specific. Because that show has a very good cast overall IMO. Hell, S2 of DD was where Punisher was depicted at hist best IMO. Even Foggy and Karen grew on me over the seasons. Of course, as I said, I don't actually put much stock in this at the moment. But, at the same time, I am not writing it off completely. Because either this rumour which has persisted off an on for a while has done so because it is legit. Or the rumours are all BS but the fact that they keep surfacing among fans shows it's something the audience really wants, which could also make the Marvel execs take notice.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 01:58 AM