KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » the new hst

the new hst
Started by: chasedown

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Markness

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AuraAngel

Well Ippo isn't Shonen so never gonna be a HST member. Ippo is a series that is likely meant to be strictly read by volume. The pacing is oh so very slow at the moment but I still love it.

Eh? Ippo is indeed a shounen manga since it's target audience is teen males.

Originally posted by Q99

Seven Deadly Sins and Magi are likely to continue to pick up steam. Finger's crossed on UQ. Fairy Tail's going to continue to sell well.

Some NnT volumes have out sold some One Piece volumes which is pretty impressive. I am surprised UQ Holder! doesn't have an anime yet. It has enough material for a season.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 03:58 PM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

Originally posted by AuraAngel
I'm not sure how Naruto passes on a throne it never had. One Piece was kinda always the big one of the big 3 and will remain the best selling manga of all time for quite a bit I'd imagine. Though it did suffer overseas sadly.

Right now the manga I'm most interested in are Ippo and Magi. The former exists in it's only little sub-genre of sports manga but it was so engrossing that I didn't care about reading a thousand chapters. And the latter is just churning out some of the best story telling in a long time. One Piece and Bleach are both dull with some interesting bits here or there but Magi is gripping me by doing things I would never had expected.

Um... Altogether, Naruto was DEFINITELY the biggest of the big three. Taking into account that One Piece never even made the boards oversea's. thumb up

Why do you think it was cancelled so early, on every network it was aired on? Not to mention that the manga did TERRIBLY, compared to Naruto. Bleach's manga didn't do much better, but it's anime was waaaay more popular than One Piece.

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2015 12:43 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yungz22
In shrouded judgement

One piece sold more worldwide than naruto did although i did like it much better. I'm only one person.

We are True Avengers

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2015 04:11 AM
yungz22 is currently offline Click here to Send yungz22 a Private Message Find more posts by yungz22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
Um... Altogether, Naruto was DEFINITELY the biggest of the big three. Taking into account that One Piece never even made the boards oversea's. thumb up

Why do you think it was cancelled so early, on every network it was aired on? Not to mention that the manga did TERRIBLY, compared to Naruto. Bleach's manga didn't do much better, but it's anime was waaaay more popular than One Piece.

Naruto's states domination doesn't really compare to OP's domination over Japan.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2015 04:20 AM
Based is currently offline Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

In the States maybe, One Piece is pretty big in Europe.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2015 05:50 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Guess what? The US isn't the only other nation besides Japan. Italy, France, Spain, and Germany's anime and manga fanbases make ours look tiny. A lot of that has to do with the fact Europeans have a more cultural appreciation for art than Americans do. We tend to care about movies that feature stuff blowing up more than anything else. Not to mention, One Piece still outsells Naruto AND Bleach in Japan. Hong Kong and South Korea have anime and manga related stuff that we don't get at all, period. Besides a handful of franchises, Americans are way behind compared to some other nations.

4Kids butchered One Piece and made it look like a silly kid's show. Americans, for the most part, treat anime and manga as just exotic products rather than art forms so they expect series to fit what they define as being "tr00" or they want nothing to do with it. I tried to watch Ah! My Goddess! with someone I used to hang out with but he was upset that it wasn't like Dragon Ball because his perception is that all anime is violence and coarse language. I also regularly encounter idiots who think JJBA isn't a manga because Hirohiko Araki's art style doesn't fit their perception of what manga should be. One Piece's art style is a difficult pill for a lot of Americans to swallow.

Last edited by Markness on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 02:44 PM

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2015 02:38 PM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

Originally posted by Esomark
Guess what? The US isn't the only other nation besides Japan. Italy, France, Spain, and Germany's anime and manga fanbases make ours look tiny. A lot of that has to do with the fact Europeans have a more cultural appreciation for art than Americans do. We tend to care about movies that feature stuff blowing up more than anything else. Not to mention, One Piece still outsells Naruto AND Bleach in Japan. Hong Kong and South Korea have anime and manga related stuff that we don't get at all, period. Besides a handful of franchises, Americans are way behind compared to some other nations.

4Kids butchered One Piece and made it look like a silly kid's show. Americans, for the most part, treat anime and manga as just exotic products rather than art forms so they expect series to fit what they define as being "tr00" or they want nothing to do with it. I tried to watch Ah! My Goddess! with someone I used to hang out with but he was upset that it wasn't like Dragon Ball because his perception is that all anime is violence and coarse language. I also regularly encounter idiots who think JJBA isn't a manga because Hirohiko Araki's art style doesn't fit their perception of what manga should be. One Piece's art style is a difficult pill for a lot of Americans to swallow.

Yes, One Piece is outselling Naruto right now, but that's only because of the fact that Naruto is over. Most people that had subscriptions don't buy it anymore. Since they already have the series. One Piece will stay at the top for a while longer, but Bleach's sales just spiked dramatically, as of the new chapter. Won't spoil anything, but CRAZY shit happens.

I do agree with you here though. I hated the OP anime, because whoever made it treated it like a show for 5 year olds. VERY disappointing, since I never got into the manga, but still respected it for what it was. I was hoping the anime would fix that, but... I got a japanese version of Dora the Explorer. thumb down

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2015 10:14 PM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure One Piece outsells the next 5 biggest manga combined, lol.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2015 11:14 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yungz22
In shrouded judgement

I dont even like one piece like that but its definitely a legendary series.

We are True Avengers

Old Post Apr 25th, 2015 11:44 PM
yungz22 is currently offline Click here to Send yungz22 a Private Message Find more posts by yungz22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Yes, One Piece is outselling Naruto right now, but that's only because of the fact that Naruto is over. Most people that had subscriptions don't buy it anymore. Since they already have the series. One Piece will stay at the top for a while longer, but Bleach's sales just spiked dramatically, as of the new chapter. Won't spoil anything, but CRAZY shit happens.

I do agree with you here though. I hated the OP anime, because whoever made it treated it like a show for 5 year olds. VERY disappointing, since I never got into the manga, but still respected it for what it was. I was hoping the anime would fix that, but... I got a japanese version of Dora the Explorer. thumb down

Even when Naruto was going, One Piece was still outselling it. Naruto and Bleach also had some competition with Toriko. There were even crossovers with Dragon Ball with both One Piece and Toriko.

It wasn't 4Kids who made the anime; Toei created it but 4Kids edited it and that ruined it's reputation in the US. Funimation helped in fixing the problem but the damage was already done.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2015 02:47 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I agree about OP's English-dubbed anime ruining it's rep in the US.

I also agree about OP being the largest selling manga franchise currently, and will continue to be in the next 10 years or so.

Unfortunately, the reign of the HST is over.
When Naruto ended, it brought the concept with it.

The only franchises that I think will be on the top of the shounen mangas will be AoT (It's reception in the West is very favorable, and doing pretty decent in Japan), Toriko (It always came close to challenging the HST), and probably OPM (when the anime gets released.)

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Apr 26th, 2015 05:46 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

I also agree about OP being the largest selling manga franchise currently, and will continue to be in the next 10 years or so.

Yea, it'll likely stay on top til it ends... and retire at a place of dominance unlike any other.

One Piece is, by a wide margin, the best selling manga of all time. The only manga to cross 400 million, when none other have crossed 300, and only three others have crossed 200 mil (Naruto, Dragonball, and Golgo 13).

Though it's per-volume sales are sliding a bit... down to 'only' 3.8 million for the initial print run as-of 77 (from 4 million). Which is still more than anything else.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 02:57 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

^
I think it's because Luffy embodies your typical Japanese guy.
Besides that, most of the characters are unique and funny.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 04:49 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
^
I think it's because Luffy embodies your typical Japanese guy.
Besides that, most of the characters are unique and funny.

That, and pirates have that 'foreign stuff is cool' factor to them in Japan while ninja and shinigami are already familiar to them. It's the reverse as far as the US is concerned. Pirates are considered goofy and comedic in our culture while ninja and shinigami have the 'foreign stuff is cool' to them. Also, just look at forums dedicated to Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail and a huge amount of threads will be polls about which female character having the best breasts or butt and posts of yuri hentai images.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 07:10 AM
Q99

The fact that it appeals to a younger age range, then doesn't lose them as they grow up likely helps.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 03:27 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yungz22
In shrouded judgement

Originally posted by Esomark
That, and pirates have that 'foreign stuff is cool' factor to them in Japan while ninja and shinigami are already familiar to them. It's the reverse as far as the US is concerned. Pirates are considered goofy and comedic in our culture while ninja and shinigami have the 'foreign stuff is cool' to them. Also, just look at forums dedicated to Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail and a huge amount of threads will be polls about which female character having the best breasts or butt and posts of yuri hentai images.

hey pirates are cool too lol

We are True Avengers

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 07:50 PM
Markness

Don't get me wrong. I definitely think pirates are cool. I was just saying our culture tends to think of Captain Hook and Jack Sparrow when the image of pirates comes to mind.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2015 09:08 PM