KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (35): « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
What series of considered the best generally? Is TNG considered the best ST series? I've heard a lot of people saying DS9 is really good.

DS9 for me. Although it's a struggle to get through the first 2 seasons. S3 starts to improve. But S4 onwards (when Worf joins) are pure gold.

That said I wouldn't advise completely skipping the first 2 seasons as you get some important background to the show which comes into play later.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 05:00 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yeah both DS9 and TNG really boils down to Seasons over all.
The Entire series are def NOT ALL GOOD.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 06:02 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

What series of considered the best generally? Is TNG considered the best ST series? I've heard a lot of people saying DS9 is really good.

TNG is generally considered the best. DS9 would be my pick, as I feel like it has better writing, but both shows, once they get going (about halfway through season two onwards) are excellent in their own way. TNG has a very "anomaly of the week" structure around it, while DS9, even though it has those episodes, still has a a large arc that runs from the end of season 2 all the way to season 7 with the Dominion.

If you don't feel like slogging through the entire series' though, there are sites where people have narrowed down only the most necessary episodes from each series so you get the best experience for time spent.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 02:42 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Franchise peaked with ds9 imo. LeVar Burton episodes especially were excellent.

It's been all downhill from there.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 03:41 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by cdtm
Franchise peaked with ds9 imo. LeVar Burton episodes especially were excellent.

It's been all downhill from there.

This is true. For the TV side of things mostly.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 04:53 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think TNG at its best is well...better than DS9 at its best.

DS9 does have the funniest exchange ever between any trek character when Worf kills Weyoun:

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 28th, 2017 at 05:47 PM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 05:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

"What are the charges?"

"That is not necessary for you to know. All you need to know is that you will be found guilty and executed".

laughing

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 05:44 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I started watching TNG last night. Watched 4 eps. Enjoying it so far.

So Pr you say TNG has a lot of anomaly of the week episodes, does the show have any kind of larger permanent story arc that it follows throughout the series? Or is it exclusively random monster of the week type episodes?

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 07:37 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

So Pr you say TNG has a lot of anomaly of the week episodes, does the show have any kind of larger permanent story arc that it follows throughout the series? Or is it exclusively random monster of the week type episodes?

It has a ton of ongoing storylines.

After the first few seasons. At first, Q is the only real ongoing plot thread. Once you get around to The Borg, the Neutral Zone episodes and such, it all starts coming together in various ways.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 08:06 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Sounds good. I prefer a good mixture.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 08:16 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by cdtm
It has a ton of ongoing storylines.

After the first few seasons. At first, Q is the only real ongoing plot thread. Once you get around to The Borg, the Neutral Zone episodes and such, it all starts coming together in various ways.

It does, but those are more like threads that they come back to in later seasons.

I was trying to illustrate the difference between that and how heavy DS9 is with it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 08:26 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by -Pr-

If you don't feel like slogging through the entire series' though, there are sites where people have narrowed down only the most necessary episodes from each series so you get the best experience for time spent.

Think that might be necessary when trying to get someone through the first 2 seasons of DS9.

Fact is in today's TV that show likely wouldn't have got a second season.

After that though I'd just watch them all personally.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 11:30 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Oh, once you hit season 3 of tng and ds9, you should watch every episode.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 12:16 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Absolutely.

DS9 in particular transforms into a drama where you'll get lost completely if you skip episodes. But each season is such an improvement on the last, you wouldn't really want to skip many.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 01:12 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Speaking of good shows with rough starts: Is that Farscape? Are the super fans right about the shows quality being worth the wait?

I thought so about Babylon 5, when I tackled that several years back (Dailymotion is like Youtube before the hair trigger takedown mechanism's..)

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 01:15 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

there are a ton of ongoing stories...

worf has several good episodes as does data.. there is a great episode entitled "Lower Decks"...

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 01:44 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

This is depressing to read. I had low expectations but yeah... Not good.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 09:54 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I dunno, people on this board are pretty critical, but I've read some pretty positive reviews in other places. Seems people in general are pretty split over this show.

Anyways, watched a few more eps of TNG last night. On episode 6 now. I really liked the episode where they encountered the weird alien race that were hyper-capitalists and then met another ancient alien race.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 08:15 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

ds9 is frikin excellent but really fizzles out at the last season. still my favorite.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 08:20 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

chief obrien is way more useful in ds9 as well

(please log in to view the image)

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 08:31 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote