KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Apocalypse/Kurse vs. Doomsday/Superman

Apocalypse/Kurse vs. Doomsday/Superman
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Silent Master

I asked the the exact details, not the headline.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 05:54 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

That is the exact details of the feat.

It's a headline.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 05:55 AM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Question, how did the reporter even know that Supes shifted the plates? Did he see Superman perform the "feat"? Is that even possible? Did Superman brag about it? Is that even in his character to do so?

Newspapers can be wrong/lie/embelish the truth you know. To grab headlines and sell papers.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 06:24 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Stop.

Flat out.

These are laughable conspiracy theories and you'd have to do a helluva lot of proving to show that they are anything but such; to prove that the writer's intention was to create some ambiguous false headline off to the side of the screen to cause random debate on a Vs. forum.

Again, we defer to good ol' Occam's Razor here. Superman moved the tectonic plate because that is the simplest explanation.

And its probably an easter egg reference to the Christoper Reeve Supes doing the same exact thing in the 1978 movie.

As to the plausibility of the feat. We don't know the hard limits of Cavill Supes yet. Jor-El even told him to continually test them. He may have gotten exponentially stronger in 18 months.

But seeing as a highly weakened Superman busted through the World Engine, which was durable enough to fall at hypersonic speeds from space, down to the Earth and plow through a mountain completely unscathed, it's readily believable to me.

Said World Engine was also terraforming the entire planet and it would have gotten the job done in seemingly a few hours at most. Superman flew up through that same terraforming beam, again while heavily weakened.

Keeping in mind the scale of destruction he was dealing with, it becomes entirely plausible that he shifted a tectonic plate by himself.

Last edited by CosmicComet on Aug 14th, 2016 at 06:47 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 06:44 AM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Stop.

Flat out.

These are laughable conspiracy theories and you'd have to do a helluva lot of proving to show that they are anything but such; to prove that the writer's intention was to create some ambiguous false headline off to the side of the screen to cause random debate on a Vs. forum.

Again, we defer to good ol' Occam's Razor here. Superman moved the tectonic plate because that is the simplest explanation.

And its probably an easter egg reference to the Christoper Reeve Supes doing the same exact thing in the 1978 movie.

As to the plausibility of the feat. We don't know the hard limits of Cavill Supes yet. Jor-El even told him to continually test them. He may have gotten exponentially stronger in 18 months.

But seeing as a highly weakened Superman busted through the World Engine, which was durable enough to fall at hypersonic speeds from space, down to the Earth and plow through a mountain completely unscathed, it's readily believable to me.

Said World Engine was also terraforming the entire planet and it would have gotten the job done in seemingly a few hours at most. Superman flew up through that same terraforming beam, again while heavily weakened.

Keeping in mind the scale of destruction he was dealing with, it becomes entirely plausible that he shifted a tectonic plate by himself.

Excellent post...

thumb up

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 07:07 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Supes doesn't even need tectonic plate feat in this.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 09:48 AM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Question, how did the reporter even know that Supes shifted the plates? Did he see Superman perform the "feat"? Is that even possible? Did Superman brag about it? Is that even in his character to do so?

Newspapers can be wrong/lie/embelish the truth you know. To grab headlines and sell papers.

Exactly, it does say a lot that people are relying on a headline rather than feats that we actually see Superman perform.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 12:06 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean I'm iffy. I'd agree yes he most likely didn't use Kryptonian technology to shift those plates. So unless he somehow used heat vision to accomplish this(which wouldn't make any sense obviously) yeah it was most likely due to strength.

Even if the reporter exaggerated it..well, the feat is pretty far above anything we've seen(I'd forgotten the headline until someone mentioned it).

With all that being said...for me when it has come to statements and using them as evidence I just ask myself if there are other feats we have seen that would support this level of strength. Or any feats that even come close to it. If there were, yes I'd accept the statement.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 03:05 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by CosmicComet
Stop.

Flat out.

That wasn't a "conspiracy theory". That was a legit question. How exactly did the reporter witness said tectonic moving?

/shrug

And Occum's Razor is a logical guide (to help point the person to discover a possible right answer), it is not a logical constant as even its phrasing states that it can be wrong.

It was obviously an easter egg. I think we can all agree on this. A witty homage to previous movie incarnations of Superman. In your own wirds, the writer obviously did not put it there to spark some random debate in some obscure battleboard. So who is in the wrong here? The one using it as some sort of indisputable evidence or those that believe the little easter egg might well not be all that good as evidence?

You HAVE to agree, that at its best, it is as flimsy and weak an evidence as evidence can get. And if you ever tried to use a headline in a court of law and fail to have corroborating evidence to prove its authenticity, then opposing council would likely tear you a new one.

Best to use actual "feats" we can see on screen and let those do the talking.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 03:48 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

I think Wonder Woman was probably helping him but the reporter did not see her due to her being on the other side of the plate.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 04:28 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wallman77
Dark Side

Not strong enough to hold as an actual feat in this battle

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 05:44 PM
wallman77 is currently offline Click here to Send wallman77 a Private Message Find more posts by wallman77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Doomsday as much as i loathe him in that movie could simply just evolve and wins this fight by himself.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 05:58 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by carver9
I think Wonder Woman was probably helping him but the reporter did not see her due to her being on the other side of the plate.

laughing out loud

Wonder Woman only arrived after that scene.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 06:56 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Nibedicus
That wasn't a "conspiracy theory". That was a legit question. How exactly did the reporter witness said tectonic moving?

/shrug

And Occum's Razor is a logical guide (to help point the person to discover a possible right answer), it is not a logical constant as even its phrasing states that it can be wrong.

It was obviously an easter egg. I think we can all agree on this. A witty homage to previous movie incarnations of Superman. In your own wirds, the writer obviously did not put it there to spark some random debate in some obscure battleboard. So who is in the wrong here? The one using it as some sort of indisputable evidence or those that believe the little easter egg might well not be all that good as evidence?

You HAVE to agree, that at its best, it is as flimsy and weak an evidence as evidence can get. And if you ever tried to use a headline in a court of law and fail to have corroborating evidence to prove its authenticity, then opposing council would likely tear you a new one.

Best to use actual "feats" we can see on screen and let those do the talking.

It's not flimsy at all. It's a reference to a feat Superman does off panel.

There is nothing to suggest that the report was wrong.

You need to prove that its wrong. Not the other way around.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 06:58 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you want to use a statement as a feat you would need to provide other feats to show why it should be taken as valid.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 07:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by abhilegend
It's not flimsy at all. It's a reference to a feat Superman does off panel.

There is nothing to suggest that the report was wrong.

You need to prove that its wrong. Not the other way around.

Off panel "feats" are flimsy enough. But an off panel "feat" using a medium w/c even in the real world has been proven to be less than dependable where even the "how" on the method used to observe said "feat" is pretty sketchy sure sounds pretty damned flimsy to me.

I'm not trying to prove it wrong, I'm demonstrating how weak the nature of the evidence is.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 07:28 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Let us put it another way: if we removed that headline from the movie and then someone asked you if, based on everything else, you think Superman could shift around tectonic plates, what would be the answer?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 07:59 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Off panel feats and/or implied power level can be an indication of how a character should be perceived, but nothing more imho. E.g. Odin from the MCU.

Also, Superman does not need that specific feat in here.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 07:59 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by Surtur
Let us put it another way: if we removed that headline from the movie and then someone asked you if, based on everything else, you think Superman could shift around tectonic plates, what would be the answer?

The answer would obviously be "no".

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 09:02 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly, though on the other hand I'm struggling to see how either Apoc or Kurse could inflict any lasting damage to Doomsday. A nuke didn't take him out, so I'm not sure how they would be able to. Not unless you're giving Kurse one of those black hole grenades.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2016 10:50 PM