KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Revan (DarthAnt66) vs Darth Traya and the Jedi Exile (ShootingNova)

Revan (DarthAnt66) vs Darth Traya and the Jedi Exile (ShootingNova)
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthbane77

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ursumeles
I am criticizing that you use Author quotes, which are just opinions, but ignore the canonical blurbs erm
That would be a relevant argument if blurbs were canon. smile

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:48 PM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

They are. smile
quote:
"...continuity "C" canon which is pretty much everything else." By everything else I mean EVERYthing else. Novels, comics, junior novels, videogames, trading card games, roleplaying games, toys, websites, television. As I've mentioned earlier, any contradictions that arise are dealt on a case-by-case.

This has been our general approach to continuity since we began using the Holocron database to track it.

-Leeland Chee

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:48 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by Solar Power
Ok, can you give an example? The most notable examples I've seen of author quotes being used to substantiate positions are hypothetical battle questions posed to authors, like Revan vs the Exile and Traya for Avellone, or Plaguies vs Sidous for Luceno. The only instance that I can remember an author quote was used to clarify a work was Veitch saying that Sidious couldn't control his force storms, which people immediately denied as it contradicted other canon sources. Drew's clarification provided in the quote Selenial provided was interesting to me.

Those clarifications you mentioned are relevant unless the author takes them back later, yes.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:50 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by Solar Power
I guess Lucas clarifying things in his commentaries is an example now that I think about it. But Lucas was the owner and creator of Star Wars, so his input on things like the Prequel Trilogy being the "Golden Age" and all that seems credible because he invented the universe to begin? Does that seem hypocritical?

As long as you take the other examples of the author clarifying their works.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:51 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

They are. smile

-Leeland Chee
No specification for blurbs. Novel applies to content inside the novel. Blurbs are advertisement, nothing more, and therefore aren't canon. This is one of the topics my mind can't be changed about. Then there's the fact the blurb is contradicted by feats.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:55 PM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

quote:
By everything else I mean EVERYthing else.

To contradicted by feats:
Originally posted by Azronger
A quote applies absolutely always unless it's contradicted by feats. And no, having inferior feats to someone isn't a contradiction in itself, unless both characters' limits have been clearly defined and the one with a quote backing him up is still inferior.

For example: Valkorion has planetary feats, yet Plagueis does not. Plagueis, however, has a quote declaring him the strongest Sith ever and he has never been pushed to his limits, or even close to it, really. Dismissing the quote because of a lack of feats on Plagueis' part is a fallacy and results in automatic concession.

This does not apply to opinions of course, be they from a KMC user or from an author.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:58 PM
Solar Power

Oh I didn't consider the Filoni stuff either. It is an interesting question on where to draw the line I guess, a case-by-case basis based on the person who said the quote's position in the hierarchy of canon makes sense to me then. People like Lucas and Filoni strike me as more significant than authors, video game designers, and actors/stunt coordinators. This will be something I think about once exams are done.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 11:01 PM
Click here to Send Solar Power a Private Message Find more posts by Solar Power Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

To contradicted by feats:
He then specifies what "everything"means, no mention of blurbs.

That's a nice opinion he has there, fortunately for me his opinion isn't canon, just like those blurbs.

Who's to say Plagueis was never truly tested? Sounds like a BS argument to lend credence to non-canonical sources.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 11:06 PM
Solar Power

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Those clarifications you mentioned are relevant unless the author takes them back later, yes.

As long as you take the other examples of the author clarifying their works.

Ok, thanks for your input, it's a curious topic.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 11:08 PM
Click here to Send Solar Power a Private Message Find more posts by Solar Power Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Definitely. thumb up

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 11:09 PM
quanchi112
Disney

thumb up

Sunrazer's double standards are LEGENDary.
He is a troll.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 11:21 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

I have to side with Razer, because many blurbs are no different than Spider-Man villain of the week-esque claims. There's one suggesting the return of Thrawn would be a greater threat than Sidious, Kun or the Sun Crusher. Which is obviously not true.

In regards to author quotes, literally every single author I've ever asked has said their opinions are just opinions and have no legitimate authority.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:24 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Originally posted by AncientPower
I have to side with Razer, because many blurbs are no different than Spider-Man villain of the week-esque claims. There's one suggesting the return of Thrawn would be a greater threat than Sidious, Kun or the Sun Crusher. Which is obviously not true.

In regards to author quotes, literally every single author I've ever asked has said their opinions are just opinions and have no legitimate authority.
Authors dismissing their opinions as simply opinions is, well, their opinion. It doesn't mean they can't be used in debates.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:29 AM
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by AncientPower

Oh of course not. I mean, it's Kun. Lmao.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:32 AM
AncientPower
The Chosen One

That makes no sense at all, they are clarifying that this is nothing more than a personal opinion and bares none of the authority they had when actually writing their works.

Chris Avellone literally only ever talks about what they had planned going forward from Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. His versions of the 'True Sith' were never canon, neither is anything else he envisioned. His version of Darth Revan and the actual Darth Revan, are two entirely different beasts.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:37 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by darthbane77
I take a mixed approach when dealing with author quotes and most accolades.

I use the ones I like and ignore the ones I don't like.
ooooooh ok

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:37 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

thumb up

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:38 AM
Zenwolf

He also thought that the basilisk war droids were stupid.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:39 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Originally posted by ILS
ooooooh ok
Uhm...no. lol

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 12:43 AM