KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Shazam! (2019)

Shazam! (2019)
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (109): « First ... « 96 97 [98] 99 100 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

My point is, the rock gets higher budget films in general. I see an overall higher budget with SHAZAM, if Black Adam doesn't tank.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2019 08:05 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Yeah true.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2019 09:07 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Man, this film exceeded my expectation for sure. A really good superhero film with a great family theme.

+ The casting was on-point in this movie, and one of its two biggest strengths. Asher Angel and Jack Dylan Grazer have an excellent rapport on-screen, it's hard to imagine anyone else but Levi as Shazam, and Mark Strong does brooding psychopath villain just as good as anyone in show business.
+ The comedy is the other high mark of this film: I was laughing throughout, and the trailer didn't have all the funny moments.
- This completes a trifecta of superhero films that take place at Christmas, and all of them are fantastic: Batman Returns, Iron Man Three, and now Shazam! Christmas setting = good superhero movie.
+ I like how the action was filmed to compensate for the lower-ish budget (is $100 million dollars low these days?). The CGI works when it is used, with[SPOILER - highlight to read]: only one moment of Billy flying in the mall trying to escape Sivana that I saw the effects standing out from the rest of the shot.
+ Pacing and editing was very solid. Never felt like the film was rushed nor dragging along, something that has dogged every DCEU film to date except WW and Aquaman. For realz though: regardless of my overall opinions on the DC films, from MoS all the way to Justice League the editing choices stood out as anywhere from questionable to outright trash.
+ [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Marvel family coming together at the film's climax! Yes! I LOVED that finale.
+ [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Seeing the Man of Steel show up to the cafeteria at the end, it honestly both delighted my inner fanboy and frustrated me at the same time. Something as simple as Superman going to help out a fellow superhero's friend at school - lunch tray with milk carton and all - shows how upstanding and considerate a superhero Superman is, even in modern times. It just shows how much doubling-down on broody Superman was a mistake. And dangit producers and Henry Cavill, why couldn't you guys work this out to where Cavill suited up for one day of shooting?!

8-9 out of 10 my friends.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2019 03:00 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Saw it. Enjoyed it.

I agree with BruceSkywalker's score. 6 or 7 out of 10. I was entertained. But was not blown away.

The youngest kid in that family was super adorable - she knocked her role out of the park. And the brother, Freddy, was a good actor, too. Feels like they could have done more with that character. Felt a bit forced at times.

Also, the movie felt more like a Nickelodeon special. Similar to Spy Kids. Like a made-for-TV movie but with a much better budget.

I'd say watch it if you like super hero movies and want to be entertained.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2019 06:52 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

$340mill. Doesnt look like this will break out from The break even zone.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2019 07:18 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Yea they are going to lose money on this one.

LOL.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2019 08:21 PM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
$340mill. Doesnt look like this will break out from The break even zone.

I'm too stupid or out of the loop to get your joke.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movie...tledmovieiv.htm

Looks like it made it's budget and a bit more than $100 million to spare.

They say to double the production budget to get true total costs to make a movie. That extra money is for marketing, merchandising, etc. So $200 million movie made about $146 million and rising. That's a good paycheck for WB.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2019 10:37 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

No you have to add budget plus marketing and then double it to make up for theatre costs.

So even with 50mill on marketing, the break even cost would be around $300mill. But its likely closer to $350mill.

So no joke. And pretty unlikely they give this a decent budget for the sequel.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2019 10:41 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

No you have to add budget plus marketing and then double it to make up for theatre costs.

So even with 50mill on marketing, the break even cost would be around $300mill. But its likely closer to $350mill.

So using your sound math how much did say Man of Steel profit on a 225 million budget? That got a higher budget for the sequel.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2019 11:25 PM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I don't know where your numbers come from. What I do know is double the production costs is where a movie breaks even as a general rule. That's $200 million for Shazam. It's made $146 million in profit.

According to this site:

quote:
According to Gizmodo, who spoke with a BoxOffice.com editor, marketing costs can equal half or more of a movie’s production budget. They say the children’s flick “Megamind” cost between $130 million and $145 million to make, but had a promotional cost of $65 million.

Movies that a studio thinks are going to flop receive less advertising in an attempt to curb their losses. As a general rule of thumb, if a movie makes twice its production budget, it will be profitable.

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/anat...92c4a614ef144ed

Movie theater costs are built into those figures. And the money made on tickets sold, when you review box office mojo figures, is the money made by the studio, not the theaters. Which is why those figures are not reported as "tickets sold."

https://theweek.com/articles/647394...does-that-money

quote:
In case you are curious, this differential in ticket percentage going to the studios is a major reason why box office totals are reported in terms of money and not in terms of tickets. Besides, the studio could care less if 20 million people pay $10 each or 10 people pay $20 million each to see the film.

Which is why they (box office mojo) estimates ticket sales at 14.5 million, domestic and can't even attempt a reasonable foreign estimate.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movie...yr=1&p=.htm

In some countries, your movie theater ticket costs $2. Some have shady distro deals, at best. Some have solid deals (like that one major theater in Hong Kong that I can't remember) and have very accurate numbers.

I hope that helps understanding the box office crap. Shazam made some nice cheddar.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 12:05 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by juggernaut74
So using your sound math how much did say Man of Steel profit on a 225 million budget? That got a higher budget for the sequel.

According to the sites I just cited, Man of Steel probably saw a break even around 450.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movie...uperman2012.htm

Their total estimated take home is $668,045,518.

So profit seems to be abou ~$218,045,000.

However, with a production cost that high, likely, the advertising and distribution costs were not $225, as well. So the profits were probably anywhere from a little to a lot higher than the estimate.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 12:08 AM
Senor Cage

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 01:23 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by juggernaut74

MOS received a lot of promotions from companies like Gillette that made up most of their marketing costs. So was probably around 550mill to break even. It grosses around 670mill so was profitable.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 05:44 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't know where your numbers come from. What I do know is double the production costs is where a movie breaks even as a general rule. That's $200 million for Shazam. It's made $146 million in profit.

Urm no it's not made anything close to that kind of profit.

You actually hit the nail on the head here:

According to this site:

According to Gizmodo, who spoke with a BoxOffice.com editor, marketing costs can equal half or more of a movie’s production budget. They say the children’s flick “Megamind” cost between $130 million and $145 million to make, but had a promotional cost of $65 million.

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/anat...92c4a614ef144ed

So marketing usually at least half of a films budget (assuming WB wasn't thinking this will be flopping).

So it had a budget of $100mill as per boxofficemojo. Half is $50mill. Total cost there is $150mill.

Double that to make up for the cut taken by theatres (which is included in total gross, which is why your $146mill profit was ways off), and you are looking at a minimum of $300mill to break even.

If however the marketing costs was closer to $100mill, then the break even point would be $400mill. I personally doubt the marketing was that high, but it is quite normal for superhero movies to spend as much on marketing as they did on the budget.

All that said the break even point for this film could range anywhere from the $300mill-$400mill marks.

Although personally I feel it would be well in the profit range if it got to the $400mill mark, as I doubt they spent $100mill marketing this.

I hope that helps understanding the box office crap. Shazam made some nice cheddar.

Oh I understand it fairly well. Things like theatre cuts vary from country to country, so it's hard to gauge an exact break even point, but doubling the total cost (budget + marketing) is usually a good estimate.

That said this might have made a tiny profit, and add that to the good reviews, may have justified a sequel. That said, it's only justified another small budget sequel. There was no breakout box office here like Venom or Deadpool.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 09:53 AM
Darth Thor

As a general reference for marketing costs in Hollywood, and in particular superhero tentpoles, Inhuman already gave this link:

https://variety.com/2017/biz/news/h...mma-1202530305/

Plus he showed Shazam wasn't massively holding back on marketing costs:

Originally posted by Inhuman

(please log in to view the image)

So yeah a breaking even point of anywhere from around $300mill-$350mill sounds pretty legit.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 10:12 AM
Senor Cage

Why do you keep bringing that up? I already provided a link of what was breaking even. Either way, it's not losing money, so...

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 06:53 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Senor Cage
Why do you keep bringing that up? I already provided a link of what was breaking even. Either way, it's not losing money, so...

Thats not the debate.

But You know very well the breaking even point isnt $200million. So why address me instead of Dadudemon?

Oh right, because you have to defend DC. Duh!

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 07:11 PM
Senor Cage

Thats not the debate.

But You know very well the breaking even point isnt $200million. So why address me instead of Dadudemon?

Oh right, because you have to defend DC. Duh!

I never said it was 200. The link (Forbes analyst) I gave said 286 or something.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 07:17 PM
Darth Thor

^ So what you are koi arguing about? My estimate is in the $300-$359mil range. Might be less than that, but my estimate is hardly unreasonable. And this is hardly a break out hit.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 07:57 PM
Senor Cage

^ So what you are koi arguing about? My estimate is in the $300-$359mil range. Might be less than that, but my estimate is hardly unreasonable. And this is hardly a break out hit.

359 is too high. Multiple websites I've read said below 300. 50 million plus is a huge difference.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 09:00 PM