KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Hamill to Johnson: "I fundamentally disagree with virtually everything..."

Hamill to Johnson: "I fundamentally disagree with virtually everything..."
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Azronger
Yeah, the OT is being raped. Even the entire title of Return of the Jedi is rendered void.
It's referring to Anakin leaving the Sith; not Luke bringing back the order.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 03:25 AM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
*Gives Beni a comforting shoulder squeeze*
Don't touch me.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 11:18 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Legends raped the OT far more than the ST has.

I guess, but at least Luke actually built a functioning Jedi Order that was around for a hundred years.

The North Remembers

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 02:12 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Luminous
kusemono

Originally posted by Geistalt
It's referring to Anakin leaving the Sith; not Luke bringing back the order.

It reads both ways. It was assumed that Luke was bringing back the order, which is why the now-Legends EU ran with the notion.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2017 01:09 AM
Click here to Send Darth Luminous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Luminous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

I like the way this trilogy seems to be headed for one major reason and that is that we are getting something new; we have seen the Jedi vs Sith game for 6 films now and neither side seem to be getting anywhere in universe so its time for a change and I'm cool with that if only for the reason that it wont be predictable

Old Post Apr 17th, 2017 05:43 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I dunno, Jedi are so part and parcel to the franchise. It's gonna be weird without them. But at least Disney are showing some guts for once. Let's see if they have the guts to replace stormtroopers.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2017 10:34 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Anyway. The issue I see here is primarily an overabundance of reverence and, especially, an inflexibility when it comes to things different to what we've come to expect. It was the same bug bear that was had for the Prequels, which were in part hated for everything about the OT they were not (and when TFA responded by serving up a retro movie, it suffered because of it) - the idea that fundamentally there exist these oh so precious concepts that are in constant danger of being ruined.

Fundamentally, there should be nothing off-limits where it comes to the character of Luke, and I can't help but find the idea that Luke cannot inhabit certain emotions - however dramatic - to be absurd. So far as it makes sense, makes for an interesting plot, and ties in with saga thematically, this shouldn't be an issue, at all. While personally I find the idea of Luke inhabiting a space so estranged from what we're are familiar with, an idealistic, quintessential truest of true heroes, to be an intensely exciting prospect, and not something to be shied away from. It offers up a new, original dynamic and take on the character, as well as an opportunity to explore Luke's character itself in greater depth.

The fact that the transition itself occurs "off-panel" as it's been said shouldn't really matter, so far as we are able to understand the character's motivations and situation so the viewer is not left confused. A movie is concerned with the meat of the issue, and just as we don't need to know the events that made Anakin Vader to understand and empathise with his arc in OT, it shouldn't be necessary here either.

As for this tired mantra of "it undermines the OT", I really question whether people believe it, that, in fact, when they go and rewatch Return of the Jedi, the experience will be somehow now be diminished. For starters it's not as if any of Luke's accomplishments in that movie have been undone, the Empire lost, the Emperor kicked the bucket, his father was redeemed and Luke became in a position to reestablish the Jedi. The fact that several decades later sh*t hit the fan shouldn't detract from any that, because there was nothing implicit in the ending of RotJ that everything was going to work out, or that everything would remain the same. Certainly it's not as if this critique has ever been raised for say, the KOTOR series, where in despite saving the galaxy in the first game, it's in a worst state than ever in the next. I'd be interested to here if anything seriously believes this to be problematic, and would advocate the driving conflict of KOTOR II be expunged because "it undermines da Revan's achievements!!111!"

On the other hand the idea that things just worked out for Luke is 1. predictable and 2. offers little room for conflict and growth. Instead things must go wrong to create new obstacles to Luke for overcome. Bigger being better in this respect, the greater the obstacle, the greater the stakes and the greater the growth in defeating it. Indeed I think it's also true that people are being incredibly short sighted here. Chances are everything is going to work out for Luke in the end, in the sense that he's going to reach some sort of resolution, and achieve some level of closure. So asserting that turns out poor old Lukey is just a depressed old failure is to entirely jump the gun, at present this is merely a bump in the road, an additional stage in and indeed spring board for his story arc.

What I most like about this plot point though is that it's addressing a theme that, in both Legends and Canon, has gone largely unaddressed. That the Jedi kinda suck. In the OT they are represented by a pair of old geezers who though clearly possessing good intentions and ignored by Luke on two critical accounts, and much to his benefit. Whereas in the PT they are slated as almost a universally terrible and failed order who in part brought about their own demise. And in both cases they are very very bad at handling those who are in danger of falling or have fallen to the dark side. Or rather the idea of Luke simply setting up a new Order and getting back to business would pretend as if thematically, these realities didn't exist, in which case its no surprise that when he did attempt this things went pear shaped. Whereas confronting the idea head on that maybe the Jedi do need to end, or at the very least, need to be reformed, to stop this endless cycle of boom and inevitable bust, fits in well with a character whom I have at least always seen, as someone different from the Jedi of the past, and who would do things differently, and themes of Star Wars as a whole. Nor a subject that should be shied away from at the risk of pissing off some fans.

Anyway, I wrote this out because I'm not interesting in bickering about until December. These are my thoughts, take them or leave them.
I am very wise, yeah.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 03:20 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Beni how was the plot point of the Jedi sucking not addressed in both continuities? I thought it was, it just wasn't shoved in our faces, but it was there to an extent.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Dec 27th, 2017 at 03:32 PM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 03:25 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I said largely unaddressed, until TLJ I don't think its really been confronted in a big way, which it needed to be.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 03:31 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

AFAIK the Jedi sucking has existed pretty much unsaid except by people arguing that the prequels are actually great because everyone is unlikable on purpose.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 03:39 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I said largely unaddressed, until TLJ I don't think its really been confronted in a big way, which it needed to be.

Hm...I guess in a big way sure, though I feel more subtle works just as well imo.

Anyway guess I'll give my thoughts now that the dust has settled. Even though TLJ seemed to have just rewrote what TFA had set up with Luke...

I'm more indifferent to the character, him dying is a 0 issue for me, I guess we all expected him to die at some point....although I kinda do wish he had least lived to Episode 9 at the least.

His characterization...again indifferent, some parts I liked, some I didn't. I suppose there I had some expectation which was kinda met at 50/50 range.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 03:40 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Hm...I guess in a big way sure, though I feel more subtle works just as well imo.
Sure, it's not necessarily a criticism, but the way in which [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Luke out-and-out attacked the Jedi for allowing the rise of Sidious, and questioned the idea of whether it was right for them to try and exert control over the Force in the first place broke new ground imo.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 04:08 PM
Zenwolf

Sure, it's not necessarily a criticism, but the way in which [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Luke out-and-out attacked the Jedi for allowing the rise of Sidious, and questioned the idea of whether it was right for them to try and exert control over the Force in the first place broke new ground imo.

That's fair and it is one of the parts I did like about the character.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 04:13 PM
Darth Thor

Except Yoda and Obi-Wan already reflected on those issues post ROTS.

Yoda realised the mistake of the Jedi in the final Clone Wars episodes. And as a result they are more pacifist in their ways post ROTS, and presumably taught their new insights to Luke.

It's cool and all for Luke to bring those issues to the audiences attention on the big screen, but he should already have thought those things through. Especially given how he overthrew the Sith through Love for his Father, and not via his Lightsaber.

I agree with Hamill that Skywalker should have been wiser than that by this point in time. Instead of needing Rey and another lesson from Yoda to put his mind straight again.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 05:41 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Darth Thor

I agree with Hamill that Skywalker should have been wiser than that by this point in time. Instead of needing Rey and another lesson from Yoda to put his mind straight again.

And there comes to one of the points I didn't like about his character.

His appearance was pretty great though.

Still overall I prefer his Legends incarnation.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 05:43 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Zenwolf
And there comes to one of the points I didn't like about his character.

His appearance was pretty great though.

Yeah didn't like how they portrayed him in the first 2/3rds of the movie, but Loved him in the Final Act, "And I will not be The Last Jedi" being my favorite line.

So Hamill's right, and I see why he flip flops about his feelings on how the character was portrayed.

Btw does anyone know how much Hamill was paid? I hope it was a good $10mill at least.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 05:51 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Except Yoda and Obi-Wan already reflected on those issues post ROTS.

Yoda realised the mistake of the Jedi in the final Clone Wars episodes. And as a result they are more pacifist in their ways post ROTS, and presumably taught their new insights to Luke.

It's cool and all for Luke to bring those issues to the audiences attention on the big screen, but he should already have thought those things through. Especially given how he overthrew the Sith through Love for his Father, and not via his Lightsaber.

Its more to do with the hubris of the Jedi rather than their use of violence, he is questioning whether they should exist at all.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 06:39 PM
Darth Thor

Its more to do with the hubris of the Jedi rather than their use of violence, he is questioning whether they should exist at all.

I get that, but he clearly changed his mind after meeting Rey and Yoda putting him in his place. Which would be fine if Kylo just turned end of the last film. But he turned years ago and Luke shouldn't have been all miserable about it for 10+ years, which is where I agree with Hamill.

Also not sure who Luke was expecting to stop Snoke and Kylo. Perhaps he figured Kylo would kill Snoke or vice versa, but then that still leaves 1 BIG problem in the Galaxy. So a bit premature for him to decide the Jedi should be no more IMO.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 06:46 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I get that, but he clearly changed his mind after meeting Rey and Yoda putting him in his place. Which would be fine if Kylo just turned end of the last film. But he turned years ago and Luke shouldn't have been all miserable about it for 10+ years, which is where I agree with Hamill.

Also not sure who Luke was expecting to stop Snoke and Kylo. Perhaps he figured Kylo would kill Snoke or vice versa, but then that still leaves 1 BIG problem in the Galaxy. So a bit premature for him to decide the Jedi should be no more IMO.
He lost faith in the Jedi and himself yeah, only an external influence could have restored some of that faith, which he'd cut himself off from.

Although I feel it's implied that Luke spent a lot of those years not in hiding but searching for answers.

And that only feeds back into the idea of pacisifism. The first thing Luke does when he meets Rey is ridicule the idea of him coming out of hiding lightsaber swinging to put down the First Order, it's that idea of the Jedi as intergalactic problem solvers that he's lost faith in.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 07:02 PM
Darth Thor

He lost faith in the Jedi and himself yeah, only an external influence could have restored some of that faith, which he'd cut himself off from.

That's Mark's point. He's the Jedi Master and should be capable of counseling himself. Like Mark said, if this was a few weeks or months, then fair enough, but not for years.

And that only feeds back into the idea of pacisifism. The first thing Luke does when he meets Rey is ridicule the idea of him coming out of hiding lightsaber swinging to put down the First Order,

Now That I liked!

it's that idea of the Jedi as intergalactic problem solvers that he's lost faith in.

Then he should have said that, instead of saying "The Jedi Must End!"

Problem is he wasn't reforming the Jedi, which he could have done being the only one. But instead He was advocating their extinction. And this before he's helped in sorting out the Snoke and Kylo problem.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2017 07:10 PM