KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 2017 Hurricane Season thread (Updated)

2017 Hurricane Season thread (Updated)
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Afro: take comfort in knowing you triggered Bash across multiple threads.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
both sides really, amirite?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 08:36 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
im not saying im helping but im totally helping *uses cherry picked twitter trolls to generalize people* *cries about e-cliques*

get over yourself.
I'll try. Why don't you get over me calling out your childish behavior for what it is?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 08:49 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Surtur
Afro: take comfort in knowing you triggered Bash across multiple threads.
So I inspired him to keep doing the same old same old? I take no comfort in that.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 08:52 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

TIL: It's only okay to blame natural disasters on homosexuals and transgender people

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 08:53 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yes. Much better to blame it on made up science and political hysteria.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 08:56 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
So I inspired him to keep doing the same old same old? I take no comfort in that.

Touche.

Originally posted by Robtard
TIL: It's only okay to blame natural disasters on homosexuals and transgender people

More like it's not okay to blame it on anything other than what actually caused the hurricane. No, it wasn't because of gay people or transgender people. No, it wasn't karma because some people don't believe in climate change.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 08:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

@ Robtard Who said that was ok? It's stupid when anyone politicizes any natural disaster, and it's downright disgusting when people say that so and so deserves it because of their politics/race/orientation/etc.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 08:58 PM
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Yes. Much better to blame it on made up science and political hysteria.
It doesn't seem like hurricanes are getting worse to you?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:00 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Dude, get that shit out of here. Why muddy the waters any more than they already are?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:04 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

What do you think about this article?

Bill Nye blames powerful hurricanes on climate change — then a real scientist shuts him down

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:05 PM
Flyattractor

No. That part falls under the "Political Hysteria" part.

Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Dude, get that shit out of here. Why muddy the waters any more than they already are?

Lol...I didn't see this post when I just posted.

IMO it is valid to discuss.

Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Surtur
What do you think about this article?

And you had to post it again. It's an inane blurb attempting confuse people further on the issue.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:07 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Afro, you're fighting a losing battle. Taking a mixed/more centrist stance here doesn't work, because tribe mentality has set in too strong (as you've said, it's incredibly prevalent in real life, too). You're either a Nazi or a Libtard, apparently. Any attempts at pointing out hypocrisy on both sides will only elicit both of those previous insults at once, or (seen above) attempts to poke holes in your character due to you being 'arrogant' or 'sanctimonious'.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:09 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

And you had to post it again. It's an inane blurb attempting confuse people further on the issue.

I'm not attempting to confuse anyone, why is it not legitimate to discuss if these have not been caused by climate change and some act like they were?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:09 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
Afro, you're fighting a losing battle. Taking a mixed/more centrist stance here doesn't work, because tribe mentality has set in too strong (as you've said, it's incredibly prevalent in real life, too). You're either a Nazi or a Libtard, apparently. Any attempts at pointing out hypocrisy on both sides will only elicit both of those previous insults at once, or (seen above) attempts to poke holes in your character due to you being 'arrogant' or 'sanctimonious'.

You're a sanctimonious nazi-tard.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:11 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Who cares what Fly thinks? LOL

What matters is the data. The data has been confirming man-caused climate change for a long, long time. It's people who have been deceived by disinformation that keep spreading doubt.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:11 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

What matters is the data. The data has been confirming man-caused climate change for a long, long time. It's people who have been deceived by disinformation that keep spreading doubt.

IMO it is valid to be concerned about disinformation, but these scientists coming forward aren't even weighing in on climate change as a whole, just whether or not these hurricanes were caused by it.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:16 PM
Flyattractor

Well you mentioned my comment also so...

That falls under the "Made Up Science" part.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:16 PM
Afro Cheese

@ Surtur/Bill Nye article

Interesting... I don't know that much about climate science tbh so I can't say that these specific storms are linked to climate change.

But I saw this article saying that there is some scientific evidence that warming the climate does make some hurricanes more intense/stronger.

quote:
Global satellite data since 1981 can be used to extend analysis of hurricane intensity to each ocean, looking for any trend in wind speed (Elsner 2008). Figure 3 plots the long term trend in maximum wind speed (eg - whether hurricanes are getting stronger or weaker) against different strength hurricanes. This tells us not only whether hurricanes are overall getting stronger but also how different strength hurricanes are being affected. Overall, there is a statistically significant upward trend (the horizontal red line). But more significantly, Elsner found weaker hurricanes showed little to no trend while stronger hurricanes showed a greater upward trend. In other words, stronger hurricanes are getting stronger. This means that as sea temperatures continue to rise, the number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes hitting land will inevitably increase.
https://www.skepticalscience.com/hurricanes-global-warming-intermediate.htm

Old Post Sep 11th, 2017 09:18 PM