KMC Forums

 
  REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!
 
 
Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Sidious Choking Dooku


Did Dooku resist Sidious's Force choke or not?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
He resisted it. 5 29.41%
He didn't. 12 70.59%
Total: 17 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sidious Choking Dooku
Started by: UCanShootMyNova

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Registered: Dec 2016
Location:


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
]Even more so, a significantly superior Force user can't even break free from a grip of a significantly inferior one.

Oh? That's interesting. Elaborate please
quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Again, take Vader and Sidious or Ventress and Anakin and Obi-Wan.

1. I'd say Vader was enraged tbh. Not something he can consistently replicate.

When did Anakin choke Kenobi?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

Syndicate was just mad I had a different opinion than his, although, like I said before, it doesn't really matter.
Aight

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 02:47 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Registered: Jan 2013
Location: USA


 

He meant Ventress choking Anakin and Obi-Wan simultaneously. That deleted scene with Maul/Sidious is another example of the same thing, btw.


__________________

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 02:51 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Registered: Dec 2016
Location:


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
He meant Ventress choking Anakin and Obi-Wan simultaneously. That deleted scene with Maul/Sidious is another example of the same thing, btw.

Ah, I misread, my bad.

So is Ant saying keeping someone choked doesn't mean sh!t in canon?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 02:53 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthAnt66
Last of the Jedi

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Oh? That's interesting. Elaborate please


We have many examples of weaker Force users choking stronger Force users without the latter being capable of breaking through.

Off the top of my head:

> Asajj suspends Anakin, Obi-Wan in a Force choke.
> Savage suspends Dooku, Asajj in a Force choke.
> Maul suspends Sidious in a Force choke.
> Vader suspends Sidious in a Force choke.

Sure, they were "enraged," but I very much doubt such "rage" is the main reason for this. At best, the "rage" makes them attack the enemy quicker.

It very much seems that, if someone is caught off-guard with a Force choke, the prospect of freeing themselves is... unlikely, even if they are more powerful.

Same applies for the Force push. If you're "off-guard," a significantly less powerful Force-user is still capable of pushing a significantly more powerful Force-user.


__________________

Last edited by DarthAnt66 on Sep 18th, 2017 at 03:01 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 02:57 AM
Click here to Send DarthAnt66 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthAnt66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthAnt66
Last of the Jedi

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

Actually, the best example I have for this is Kirak Infil'a.

When Vader first tries to choke him, Kirak is prepared for battle and, with strain, resists.

When Kirak is distracted, Vader is able to choke him and Kirak is unable to break free.

Clearly, then, choke has more to do with state of being than state of power.


__________________

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 03:04 AM
Click here to Send DarthAnt66 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthAnt66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Registered: Dec 2016
Location:


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Actually, the best example I have for this is Kirak Infil'a.

When Vader first tries to choke him, Kirak is looking right at him and, with strain, resists.

When Kirak is distracted, Vader is able to choke him and Kirak is unable to break free.

So force use doesn't mean sh!t unless it's used directly in a fight? For canon at least

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 03:05 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthAnt66
Last of the Jedi

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

I'd say so, generally speaking.

For Legends, we're dealing with Lesser Force Shields, Greater Force Shields, instinctual defenses, etc., so that's a whole different game.


__________________

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 03:09 AM
Click here to Send DarthAnt66 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthAnt66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthAnt66
Last of the Jedi

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
For Legends, we're dealing with Lesser Force Shields, Greater Force Shields, instinctual defenses, etc., so that's a whole different game.


Now remembering, I happened to make a post explaining this, in-detail, here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f6/t636160.html


__________________

Last edited by DarthAnt66 on Sep 18th, 2017 at 03:15 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 03:11 AM
Click here to Send DarthAnt66 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthAnt66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova
Senior Member

Registered: Aug 2016
Location:


UCanShootMyNova is online now!

@Ant: Since you essentially ignored the rest of my post in your last response, I'll respond in kind and address the only section that brings up anything new.

I never said it wasn't possible for Dooku to have instinctually resisted Sidious's Force choke. I simply said he wouldn't have ACTIVELY resisted it. As you yourself note in the thread you linked, instinctual barriers are unlikely to have the same potency as active barriers which is pretty relevant when it's already nearly impossible to break out of the Force grip of a superior Force user, even when actively struggling to do so, to begin with.


__________________
"I like big sweaty testicles." - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Last edited by UCanShootMyNova on Sep 18th, 2017 at 03:36 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 03:32 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthAnt66
Last of the Jedi

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
I never said it wasn't possible for Dooku to have instinctually resisted Sidious's Force choke. I simply said he wouldn't have ACTIVELY resisted it. As you yourself note in the thread you liked, instinctual barriers are unlikely to have the same potency as active barriers which is pretty relevant when it's already nearly impossible to break out of the Force grip of a superior Force user to begin with.



Force choke, in Legends, seems to directly bypass Greater Force Shields (or instinctual shields, a weaker variant of such). There is a specific technique on how to defend against Force choke, so when applied, in conjecture with the already-defending Lesser Force Shield, one presumably breaks free. This, obviously, isn't the case for Canon. The only instance where we have someone defend against a Force choke is ambiguous to the point I have no clue what he's actually doing to resist it. I imagine Dooku's instinctual defense against a Force choke would be the same as his in-play defense, so no, I don't think it would be weaker. Although, like I said, I'm not sure how said defense works, so that's speculation on my behalf. One would assume it's by using the Force to allow air-flow, but that suggests directly pitting your energies against the energies constraining it, which is inconsistent with lesser Force-users doing it to greater ones.

EDIT: Whatever the defense technique is, it's clearly generally ineffective and / or requires to be in a state of readiness when choked.


__________________

Last edited by DarthAnt66 on Sep 18th, 2017 at 03:57 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 03:50 AM
Click here to Send DarthAnt66 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthAnt66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95
Senior Member

Registered: Mar 2008
Location:


 

Whether or not he resisted doesn't matter, imo. The fact of the matter is this isn't applicable to a combat scenario because Dooku wasn't prepared for it. It's not like Sidious could just choke him out in the middle of a fight...But who knows, it's Sidious

Last edited by Rebel95 on Sep 18th, 2017 at 04:26 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 04:22 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95
Senior Member

Registered: Mar 2008
Location:


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

It very much seems that, if someone is caught off-guard with a Force choke, the prospect of freeing themselves is... unlikely, even if they are more powerful.

Same applies for the Force push. If you're "off-guard," a significantly less powerful Force-user is still capable of pushing a significantly more powerful Force-user.

thumb up

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 04:23 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova
Senior Member

Registered: Aug 2016
Location:


UCanShootMyNova is online now!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Force choke, in Legends, seems to directly bypass Greater Force Shields (or instinctual shields, a weaker variant of such). There is a specific technique on how to defend against Force choke, so when applied, in conjecture with the already-defending Lesser Force Shield, one presumably breaks free. This, obviously, isn't the case for Canon. The only instance where we have someone defend against a Force choke is ambiguous to the point I have no clue what he's actually doing to resist it. I imagine Dooku's instinctual defense against a Force choke would be the same as his in-play defense, so no, I don't think it would be weaker. Although, like I said, I'm not sure how said defense works, so that's speculation on my behalf. One would assume it's by using the Force to allow air-flow, but that suggests directly pitting your energies against the energies constraining it, which is inconsistent with lesser Force-users doing it to greater ones.

EDIT: Whatever the defense technique is, it's clearly generally ineffective and / or requires to be in a state of readiness when choked.


K? :/


__________________
"I like big sweaty testicles." - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 04:44 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Registered: Aug 2014
Location: Your Moms house


relentless1 is online now!

I'm sure Dooku resisted somewhat; yeah he didn't put his full effort into it but like somebody in real life grabbing you by the throat, you aren't just gonna let it happen but if the guys got good grip strength you'll have a bit of trouble getting his hand off

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 06:46 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Sith Lord

Registered: Oct 2014
Location:


 

You used to be a nice guy, Beezlebub.


__________________
“There are aspects of who we are that can only be revealed to us in the deepest pit of intolerable suffering, in those moments when all else is torn away—when we stand at the very brink of eternity itself and stare death in the face.”
—Darth Sidious

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 07:56 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


Darth Thor is online now!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rebel95
Whether or not he resisted doesn't matter, imo. The fact of the matter is this isn't applicable to a combat scenario because Dooku wasn't prepared for it. It's not like Sidious could just choke him out in the middle of a fight...But who knows, it's Sidious



Combatants get caught off guard with Force chokes during battle as well.

It's more about whose faster IMO. If you're too fast for your opponent then you're more likely to catch them off guard.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 01:29 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
An heroed

Registered: Jul 2015
Location: Mom's basement


 

I think Thor has it on par. There isn't much resisting you can do after you've been caught off-guard other than maybe stop it from getting worse. That would explain why Ventress couldn't just snap Kenobi's and Skywalker's necks or Savage do the same to Dooku.

What explanation do we have on that in canon?

Whether or not Sidious can just over-ride a prepared Dooku we don't know from this showing.


__________________

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 01:46 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthAnt66
Last of the Jedi

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

Kirak has been choked by Vader but broke free, but he was presumbly ready for the attack.

We can reasonably assume that, if you are choked when taken off-guard, escaping is virtually impossible.


__________________

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 02:35 PM
Click here to Send DarthAnt66 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthAnt66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor
Senior Member

Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Asgard


Darth Thor is online now!

Yep, another example is Kanan pinning the GI catching him off guard in "Rise of the Old Masters", even though we know GI was the more powerful Force user at the time.


quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk

Whether or not Sidious can just over-ride a prepared Dooku we don't know from this showing.



Well even against Maul and Opress, Sidious kept catching them off guard every time he TK'd them. But again, I think that just means Sidious is faster than they are.

On the other hand he presumably couldn't catch Windu off guard, because they were duelling each other as equals.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Sep 18th, 2017 at 03:38 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 03:35 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova
Senior Member

Registered: Aug 2016
Location:


UCanShootMyNova is online now!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ILS
You used to be a nice guy, Beezlebub.


Did I? smile


__________________
"I like big sweaty testicles." - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2017 04:06 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 01:25 AM.
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< Contact Us - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Forum powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.