KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What is a a "Sock"?

What is a a "Sock"?
Started by: Flyattractor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Flyattractor

The Perfect scent for Socks!

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 02:08 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
A sock is a banned user who creates a new account to get past his ban.

I think the way these people are viewed tends to vary a bit from mod to mod. For myself, I'm generally open to the idea of a sock coming back if they make attempts to engage other members in a reasonable way and try to take part in relatively respectful conversations. They will be on thin ice, though. If they come back merely to make trouble, that isn't acceptable and is a way to find yourself banned very quickly if you are a sock.

There's also the fact that the sock checker for this site is ancient and inefficient, and so it can be difficult to really "prove" if someone is a sock. Generally, the mods have been around long enough to be able to tell if someone is a sock simply by posting habits and personality, but we may not be able to prove it with the sock checker.

I think there's more leniency towards socks than there used to be. The site doesn't have a very large or healthy user base anymore, so I think we're pretty open to the idea of giving people second chances.

Lol look I don't want him banned, but what you just said here is pretty much a lie lol. A certain sock has come back just to talk shit about me, made more than one topic dedicated to that, etc.

I do not want him banned, but the whole "well as long as they try to engage members in a reasonable way" is nonsense. The most recently banned sock was no less reasonable than the one I am referring to lol.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 12:28 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

A piece of clothing used to keep feet warm, usually coming in pairs... This is common knowledge.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 01:20 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Surtur
Lol look I don't want him banned, but what you just said here is pretty much a lie lol. A certain sock has come back just to talk shit about me, made more than one topic dedicated to that, etc.

I do not want him banned, but the whole "well as long as they try to engage members in a reasonable way" is nonsense. The most recently banned sock was no less reasonable than the one I am referring to lol.

Thorne did that,or are you talking about someone else?

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 06:45 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by MythLord
A piece of clothing used to keep feet warm, usually coming in pairs... This is common knowledge.

No. That is the answer to "What Are Socks?" The plural as opposed to the singular.

I would explain the difference but well that is Math and Leftists don't do math.

cool

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 06:49 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Thorne did that,or are you talking about someone else?

Steve Zodiac is stop the hate lol. Who had 3 different verisons of that named, trolled constantly. Was banned for continually posting trolling topics. Has also posted topics dedicated to writing poems about me lol.

He can do what he wants, but we're going to call a spade a spade here. That isn't "reasonable" behavior lol.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 09:17 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

I honestly have no idea and have never met one sorry

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 09:17 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
I honestly have no idea and have never met one sorry

Oh you have Scribby, you have.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 09:18 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Steve Zodiac has been on our radar for a while and we are keeping an eye on him, thing is while he may go after you from time to time, he does also engage in discussions as well. There is another member here who is a sock who has gone after other members but is also not yet banned. Also you go after him as well. It seems to be a mutual thing with you two so I've just sorta let it slide thus far.

Also keep in mind that I did not ban Thorne myself. Like I said, all mods will approach things a little differently. Another mod may not hold my views when it comes to socks and may be less lenient when it comes to letting them stay.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 09:37 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gehenna
Sorgo

To add to what Backfire said, I posted this in the welcome thread recently:

Originally posted by The Lost
I think it depends on the recency of the permaban now. For example, I was permabanned in '05 but they let me stick around now, as well as a few others. That person was either banned a long time ago but is still totally intolerable or was banned recently.

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 09:57 PM
Gehenna is currently offline Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

For me, honestly I don't really care. I'll let more or less anyone back as long as they don't just troll non stop. Even then, if they amuse me I may let them stay.

It feels like a wasted effort to really moderate this place these days.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:05 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Steve Zodiac has been on our radar for a while and we are keeping an eye on him, thing is while he may go after you from time to time, he does also engage in discussions as well. There is another member here who is a sock who has gone after other members but is also not yet banned. Also you go after him as well. It seems to be a mutual thing with you two so I've just sorta let it slide thus far.

Also keep in mind that I did not ban Thorne myself. Like I said, all mods will approach things a little differently. Another mod may not hold my views when it comes to socks and may be less lenient when it comes to letting them stay.

Lol, three separate "stop the hate things" were banned. Now he goes after Sable for thread counts, posting pics of it.

Sorry, it's just not really reasonable. Not every sock here engages in that.

I don't want him banned he is entertaining, but he is a troll lol. Through and through,

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 25th, 2017 at 10:12 PM

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:09 PM
Squirrel Fart

For me, honestly I don't really care. I'll let more or less anyone back as long as they don't just troll non stop. Even then, if they amuse me I may let them stay.

It feels like a wasted effort to really moderate this place these days.

thumb up

you shouldn't have to care, it's just a forum thumb up

raz and ush stopped caring about this place a long time ago so why should you or any mod? some members care way too much about this forum. i am here out of habit, it's kinda like smoking...

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on Sep 25th, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:14 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The Nuul
thumb up

you shouldn't have to care anymore, it's just a forum thumb up

raz and ush stopped caring about this place a long time ago so why should you or any mod? some members care way too much about this forum. i am here out of habit, it's kinda like smoking...

Yeah but it's like....people who threaten murder exist here longer than people who did nothing close to that.

That is super weird having that drastic a difference in modding practices, but meh.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:16 PM
BackFire

Lol, three separate "stop the hate things" were banned. Now he goes after Sable for thread counts, posting pics of it.

Sorry, it's just not really reasonable. Not every sock here engages in that.

I don't want him banned he is entertaining, but he is a troll lol. Through and through,

I don't believe I banned those people.

I will ban people for posting various slurs. May have done that at some point over the last month or two. Don't remember.

I'm not familiar with the sable/steve zodiac thing you're going on about. I don't really pay much attention to Steve Zodiac. Really, unless something gets reported I probably won't see it or know about it/care.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:21 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't believe I banned those people.

I will ban people for posting various slurs. May have done that at some point over the last month or two. Don't remember.

I'm not familiar with the sable/steve zodiac thing you're going on about. I don't really pay much attention to Steve Zodiac. Really, unless something gets reported I probably won't see it or know about it/care.

Okay well this just makes it even weirder lol. Some other mod noticed the shit STH pulled, but suddenly with Steve didn't.

Meh, an interesting mystery I guess.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:26 PM
Silent Master

Just stop responding to him. that way if he continues it'll be viewed as him harassing a member, rather than a back and forth.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:28 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Mods can and so miss some things. We do this in our spare time and for free, remember. We generally don't spend much time here these days. Unless something gets reported we probably aren't going to see it.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:28 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Silent Master
Just stop responding to him. that way if he continues it'll be viewed as him harassing a member, rather than a back and forth.

The usual suspects here will thumb up anything he does like sheep, but yeah ignoring is the best solution.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:29 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mods can and so miss some things. We do this in our spare time and for free, remember. We generally don't spend much time here these days. Unless something gets reported we probably aren't going to see it.

I pretty much expect you to be omnipresent.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2017 10:29 PM