KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Net Neutrality might end.

Net Neutrality might end.
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): « First ... « 23 24 [25] 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Seeing as the only source is former ISP lawyer and current ISP shill Ajit Pai, it probably is a lie to try and make his repeal of NN seem more consumer-friendly than it actually is.

Bingo

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 11:13 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

Seeing as the only source is former ISP lawyer and current ISP shill Ajit Pai, it probably is a lie to try and make his repeal of NN seem more consumer-friendly than it actually is.

Well of course it's more consumer friendly to role back regulations.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 11:40 PM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by dadudemon
I stated the writer is a moron and then directly gave evidence as to why he's a moron. It does not get any more clear than that. No amount of "witch accusations" (read: ad hominems) are going to make your point function as a rebuttal. Seriously, go back and look at my post. I state he's a moron and then explain why. It's quite clear. What's the matter, are facts hurting your feelings so you're trying character assassination like the butthurt democrats have been doing since Trump won?

But what about my actual point about "reasonable"? Care to provide a rebuttal to that?

No, it's too late for that, now. You've already proven you're a dumbass. Now it's time for you to redeem your dumbassery by being reasonable and admitting you're parroting bullshit arguments that you had little understanding of.

Strawman...

Strawman...

Factually incorrect.

Strawman.

Okay, so would you actually like to try to calm down and make legitimate points?

I'll give you one more chance. But you have to do a few things for me, first:

Calm down, stop bouncing up and down on GOP cock, take Ajit Pai's dick out of your mouth, wipe his semen off your face (don't forget the layers...your eyes may be crusting up which is why it's probably so difficult for you to read), realize "bandwidth" is a terrible argument for the two reasons I outlined, abandon the fear-mongering about corrupt governments, and come back with an actual cogent argument.
You eviscerated him. Well done.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2018 11:45 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just looking it up right now, unless the author of the article is citing some other decision, it seems, if I'm understanding it correctly, that it's not as cut and dry as he implies, but merely AT&T's interpretation of a rather small segment of the ruling.

Can read more about it here - http://www.govtech.com/policy/ATT-N...-All-Cases.html

Lot of fancy lawyer speak involved. But since the rules are now gone, it's all academic anyways.

It disturbs me if it'd block it in any case. There should be no exceptions.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2018 12:01 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

It's been 244 days since the repeal of Net Neutrality was announced and about 65 days since the repeal took effect. Anyone wanna guess the result? We've gone from 12th fastest in the world to the 6th. Only Singapore, Hong Kong, Iceland, Romania, and South Korea beat the USA in terms of broadband download speed.

Boy. Ending Net Neutrality was such a terrible thing. Guess all this new speed was what everyone was worried about. Or as an article from Twitchy says, "US internet speeds increase since end of net neutrality, possibly because everyone's dead."

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 03:59 PM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Playmaker
It's been 244 days since the repeal of Net Neutrality was announced and about 65 days since the repeal took effect. Anyone wanna guess the result? We've gone from 12th fastest in the world to the 6th. Only Singapore, Hong Kong, Iceland, Romania, and South Korea beat the USA in terms of broadband download speed.

Boy. Ending Net Neutrality was such a terrible thing. Guess all this new speed was what everyone was worried about. Or as an article from Twitchy says, "US internet speeds increase since end of net neutrality, possibly because everyone's dead."
It's not gonna happen overnight.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 04:58 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Don't fall for playmaker's distraction.

Though I will say that in the last 2months or so, the number of spam calls I'm receiving has quadrupled or more. Selling me everything from auto loans, home loans to air duct cleaning. Just yesterday I blocked two more numbers. On Saturday it was four. They're also getting smarter, before it would be out-of-state numbers; now they're mostly local numbers. It's like someone is selling my number/personal info to solicitors... hmmm....

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 16th, 2018 at 05:16 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 05:11 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Robtard
Don't fall for playmaker's distraction.

Though I will say that in the last 2months or so, the number of spam calls I'm receiving has quadrupled or more. Selling me everything from auto loans, home loans to air duct cleaning. Just yesterday I blocked two more numbers. On Saturday it was four. They're also getting smarter, before it would be out-of-state numbers; now they're mostly local numbers. It's like someone is selling my number/personal info to solicitors... hmmm....

This is why I'm going to turn off my phone number, eventually. The only thing I need is a smartphone with an internet connection of some sort. I don't need the phone function. I prefer the voice calling on things like Messenger, Skype, Hangouts, etc.

Even at work when I used Slack, you can make and take video/audio calls.

At this point, the only reason I keep a phone number is because too many people still think we need to use them. The hardware+software combo is already there. We do not need phone numbers and "Plain Old Telephone Service" anymore.

But here's why we don't see massive cutovers to VOIP and all-digital communications: money. People still sell a shitload of things over the old lines.

But, yeah, I can't wait to get rid of my phone number. I'll be doing that after buttoning up a couple of things on my end.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 06:23 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Playmaker

Why aren't you mentioning multiple facts that directly contradict the point you're making? Brace yourself, I'm about to destroy you again:

1. There is no statistical significance for the increase in fixed broadband speeds. since the loss of net neutrality, June. I want back to Jul '16, 25 one datapoints/months (and my p-value was .05).

FYI, the t-value that comes out is -0.001628 and P is less than .05. It has to be greater than .05 to reject the null hypothesis.

If you don't believe me, you can use an online calculator.

Here's the entire data set so you can just copy and paste:

48.83,50.22,50.81,53.65,55.31,56.70,59.26,61.52,62.78,64.23,68.35,69.47,70.75,72.71,74.68,74.99,75.94,76.36,82.21,84.66,88.19,91.46,92.66,93.98,96.91

And here is a calculator you can use to get your mean, standard deviation, etc.:
http://www.alcula.com/calculators/s...ics/dispersion/

And here is the t-value calculator (used one-tailed):

https://www.socscistatistics.com/te...e/Default2.aspx

I had to use the wayback machine to go back to Jul '16:

https://web.archive.org/web/2017081...x/united-states

This next part is very important: This point alone makes you wrong.

2. Large speed increases occurred when net neutrality was explicitly enforced. Both as raw MBps and as a percentage against the world average.

3. Mobile speeds have significantly dropped after net neutrality was lost.

4. Networking infrastructure projects, which would have contributed to the increase in broadband speeds, would have been funded, started, and nearly completed during the net neutrality days. The increases in broadband speeds seen in the last two months would have been from the net neutrality era, not after it was repealed. So you're celebrating net neutrality-era wins by pointing out fixed broadband speed jumps.

Now, look, I've shown my work, hidden nothing about how I did the math, and pointed out the direct and overt problems with your point. You cannot be any more wrong than this. There's no guess work. No opinions. The math clearly shows you as wrong.

Last edited by dadudemon on Aug 16th, 2018 at 07:11 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 07:01 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Look at you with your facts and maths and logic, do you seriously think that can counter someone like Playmaker's feelings?

ps 11:20am, got two robo-calls thus far. One I just blocked without picking up because it was obvious, another one calling about my "credit card account". Cos I only have one and it doesn't have a name or something.

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 20th, 2018 at 06:23 PM

Old Post Aug 20th, 2018 06:20 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Dadudemon has decimated playmakers nonsense.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2018 07:27 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ifornia-lawsuit

laughing out loud

These guys are like Captain Planet supervillains. As I learn more about the social culture that inevitably develops in capitalistic corporations, and the type of Dark Triad personality needed to succeed at the very top, the more I realize that heavy regulation is NEEDED.

Otherwise anyone not playing the game, will be screwed, figuratively, and sometimes literally. Sociopaths only pretend to play by the rules, they have completely lost faith in all social constructs, perceiving them as social illusions to masque the cold bleakness of reality. They believe in nothing, and so they can do anything. And they hide behind the incompetence of the clueless. In our society, consequences are measured my INTENT less so than harm, and so if they can minimize the harmful intent through the incompetence buffer of clueless stooges, the losers of society at the bottom of the pyramid do not lynch them.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 06:57 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

California legislators just passed the "strongest net neutrality law in the nation."

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/01/6439...neutrality-bill

Expect lawsuits against the state from ISP's desperate to be allowed to hose as many customers as possible.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2018 05:12 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ifornia-lawsuit

laughing out loud

These guys are like Captain Planet supervillains. As I learn more about the social culture that inevitably develops in capitalistic corporations, and the type of Dark Triad personality needed to succeed at the very top, the more I realize that heavy regulation is NEEDED.

Otherwise anyone not playing the game, will be screwed, figuratively, and sometimes literally. Sociopaths only pretend to play by the rules, they have completely lost faith in all social constructs, perceiving them as social illusions to masque the cold bleakness of reality. They believe in nothing, and so they can do anything. And they hide behind the incompetence of the clueless. In our society, consequences are measured my INTENT less so than harm, and so if they can minimize the harmful intent through the incompetence buffer of clueless stooges, the losers of society at the bottom of the pyramid do not lynch them.
Dude what the **** are you talking about?...

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2018 05:37 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

so repealing net neutrality is looking to be a mistake. who da thunk it

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2018 12:13 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is why I'm going to turn off my phone number, eventually. The only thing I need is a smartphone with an internet connection of some sort. I don't need the phone function. I prefer the voice calling on things like Messenger, Skype, Hangouts, etc.

Even at work when I used Slack, you can make and take video/audio calls.

At this point, the only reason I keep a phone number is because too many people still think we need to use them. The hardware+software combo is already there. We do not need phone numbers and "Plain Old Telephone Service" anymore.

But here's why we don't see massive cutovers to VOIP and all-digital communications: money. People still sell a shitload of things over the old lines.

But, yeah, I can't wait to get rid of my phone number. I'll be doing that after buttoning up a couple of things on my end.
I wish I could do this but some of the places I am in have shit internet as countries, so the phone is a lifeline for me. Literally and figuratively. I actually have a Skype to phone number coming out in the UK although people struggle calling it I can call them. Any ideas DDDM?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2018 01:37 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Putinbot1
I wish I could do this but some of the places I am in have shit internet as countries, so the phone is a lifeline for me. Literally and figuratively. I actually have a Skype to phone number coming out in the UK although people struggle calling it I can call them. Any ideas DDDM?

I've visited many places, none in Africa or the Middle East.

If there's internet, you have the ability to make calls. But almost never the ability to make phone calls.

Dual-band, quad-band? Yeah, doesn't always work everywhere. Best bet is internet. Connect to WiFi or have a local create a hotspot.

For Skype, Messenger, or Hangouts. You just need the ability to "have internet."

I don't want to visit a place without internet so I avoid them if I can.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2018 05:07 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've visited many places, none in Africa or the Middle East.

If there's internet, you have the ability to make calls. But almost never the ability to make phone calls.

Dual-band, quad-band? Yeah, doesn't always work everywhere. Best bet is internet. Connect to WiFi or have a local create a hotspot.

For Skype, Messenger, or Hangouts. You just need the ability to "have internet."

I don't want to visit a place without internet so I avoid them if I can.
It has everything, it's just erratic, I was up in Chad recently and everything kept going. It was shitty.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2018 05:14 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

yep.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 11:16 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

California legislators just passed the "strongest net neutrality law in the nation."

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/01/6439...neutrality-bill

Expect lawsuits against the state from ISP's desperate to be allowed to hose as many customers as possible.

Hopefully it's signed into law and I would expect corporations like Comcast and AT&T to sue over it.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 11:22 PM