KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » US Supreme Pizza Part II: Bake a Cake

US Supreme Pizza Part II: Bake a Cake
Started by: Emperordmb

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (44): « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
The man doesn't design cakes that go against his beliefs. A straight couple could not get the same kind of cake. Nobody could.
Wedding cakes are his job, they don’t go against his beliefs. What went against his beliefs were the people buying the cakes, and that’s discrimination.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:12 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Firefly218
Wedding cakes are his job, they don’t go against his beliefs. What went against his beliefs were the people buying the cakes, and that’s discrimination.

Wedding cakes with certain themes do go against his beliefs. I believe he has said he wouldn't do a cake with Anti LGBT stuff either.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:14 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

No, he didn't have a problem with them being gay, he didn't want to participate in their WEDDING.......do you see the difference (probably not.)

That quote I gave you about wedding cakes shows that to serve 300 people a cake would cost anywhere from 450$ to 3,600$. That is not a basic cake you throw together in a pan and ice.

quote:
Wedding cakes with certain themes do go against his beliefs. I believe he has said he wouldn't do a cake with Anti LGBT stuff either.

Correct, he wouldn't participate in hateful things or things that go against families (divorces) or halloween cakes etc.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:15 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Accidental post lol.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:15 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was not a gay themed cake they were asking for, it was a standard wedding cake

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:16 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

quote:
That is simply not true. The strike was supported by over 5000 of the town’s population, unionists or not. There’s no proof of intimidation. It’s also not historically agreed upon who fired first. The Pinkertons wanted to maintain their good reputation, yes, but they also wanted to maintain their reputation as a company that gets things done. Either way, the Pinkertons got their asses kicked and the state militia was called in to deal with the situation, which they did quite well.

I never denied worker support, in fact, I even said workers supported the unionists. The reason that Frick/Carnage assumed there was intimidation was due to the majority of workers agreeing to the initial contract. LeFeber's writings make it pretty clear who shot first. Considering the state militia failed numerous times before the Pinkerton's were brought in, they do not have a positive track record. Regardless the point of my debunk was to show that the Homestead strike is not a good example of private police oppression.

quote:
People would support companies that use force because they would have no choice, alternatives, or more likely out of sheer convenience and not giving a crap. People buy products made in sweatshops even today, and the vast majority don’t care; in the past, people had no problems dealing with the East Indian Company which was known for its brutal practices. Eliminating or suppressing competition would actually be worthwhile in the mid and the long-term as having a monopoly = massive profits. Most people wouldn’t and probably couldn’t do anything about it for much the same reasons why the people of places like North Korea, Somalia or those under the mercy of the Mexican drug cartels can’t or won’t do anything about it: they’d be too oppressed and intimidated.

The idea that people do not change their buying habits based on company behavior is certainly not congruent with modern economic theory or empirical examples. Why did McDonald's take the option supersize off their menu directly after supersize me? Why has Starbucks switched to fair trade? Why did Verizon immediately stop blocking pro-choice traffic after backlash from their viewer base? Hell, why do companies do any kind deeds at all? Why does Google donate money to tragedies and small businesses? Why is Exon Mobile switching away from C02? The answer is straightforward and economically accepted: REPUTATION! Funny you mention the East India Trading Company as that actually helps my point. There was myriad public outrage surrounding the company. As a result, people were fearful that they would use GOVERNMENT to continue their behavior. They are not a fair example as their existence is propped up by governments. Despite the corruption, many of their members were put on trial for their egregious actions. You also talked about people buying from sweatshops. Fairtrade has grown gigantically as an industry in the past few years. A great example of this would be Nestle. When it was found that Nestle was using child labor in 2012, they immediately changed their ways, and their stock dropped. Also an important note about sweatshops and child labor. The reason child labor exists in third world countries is that their society is so physically unproductive that if the kids don't work the family starves. A great example would be Bangladesh. The British Charity Oxfam pointed out when Bangladesh banned child labor the children either went into prostitution, or they starved. By the time child labor laws were implemented, the practice had mostly died in the states. Ah, the misplaced fear of monopolies. I am sure you would point to Industrial Revolution as a prime example of tyrannous mergers.

Before I delve into the Industrial Revolution, I want to clear up a few things about monopolies. Monopolies are nigh impossible in a purely capitalist society. Competition, consumer choice, and free trade each work in tandem to prevent any serious monopoly. As Milton Friedman puts it, the only monopoly that has survived under pure capitalism is the Debris Diamond Company. If we assume that there really were monopolies in the Industrial Revolution, they would assumedly. control the market and raise prices. This did not happen. Steel rails fell from $68 to $32 per ton during the 1880s; we might also note the amount of zinc, which fell from $5.51 to $4.40 per pound (a 20 percent decline) and refined sugar, which fell from 9¢ to 7¢ per pound (22 percent). In fact, this pattern held true for all 17 supposedly monopolized industries, with the trivial exceptions of castor oil and matches. Kerosine was a dollar a gallon, and it became 10 cents a gallon. There are many many more examples of falling prices throughout the industrial revolution. In the case of North Korea, they have a monopolistic government which makes it nigh impossible to use competitors. Despite this, the black market is steadily growing inside of the country. In regards to Somalia, it's not fair to compare a third world country to a first world country in any economic context. So the relevant comparison is not Somalia and the United States but rather Somalia and its peer group. Somalia's conditions by almost all discernable metrics were worse with the state than without. So I am not sure that is a valid comparison either. With drug cartels actions being legalized they would be dependent upon their shareholders, and they would be competing against non-violent industries. If the drug cartels had a reputation for murder and thieves, very few individuals would buy their product as opposed their peaceful competitor. Pretty basic free-market economics.

quote:
As for arbitration: it would only be a thing between billionaires and mega-corps, who would deal with each other as relative equals. Joe Average would have little choice but to use private courts owned by the corporations and the ultra-rich, which of course would rule any way their owners told them to.

Why does that not happen in the arbitration industry today? The answer is very simple for the private law to be used it has to have a viable reputation.

quote:
The thing about drug cartels is that in an Ancap society, they would be a legitimate business and would not have to work in secrecy. And the only competitors they would face would be other drug cartels.

This is also untrue. The cartles would face legal peaceful enterprize trying to steal their customers due to their poor buisness practices. Alright sorry for the long walls of text we can continue this on Google Hangouts if you want.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:16 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was not a gay themed cake they were asking for, it was a standard wedding cake

But that isn't the information coming from him. He is saying he will not design a cake against his beliefs. As opposed to some random cake just being there and him going "no, you can't have this because you are gay".

Do you think if you and another man went in there kissing all over each other and then ordered any random item...he would have refused to serve you?

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

So would you force a jew to make a multihundred dollar super fancy cake for a neonazi rally?

I mean... it's just a cake amirite? As long as there's nothing nazi-like in the design that jew should be forced to make the neonazi's a super pimped out cake.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:20 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
So would you force a jew to make a multihundred dollar super fancy cake for a neonazi rally?

I mean... it's just a cake amirite? As long as there's nothing nazi-like in the design that jew should be forced to make the neonazi's a super pimped out cake.

They will say political party is not a protected class.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:23 PM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

But that isn't the information coming from him. He is saying he will not design a cake against his beliefs. As opposed to some random cake just being there and him going "no, you can't have this because you are gay".
He said he will not make a cake for a gay wedding. So it doesn’t matter which type of cake is being asked for, he simply won’t make a cake for a gay wedding.

Hypothetically if the gay couple’s favorite superhero is Spider-Man and they ask for a Spider-Man themed wedding cake, the cake maker would refuse because it is for a gay wedding.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:23 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

This entire debate is based on a faulty premise. Regardless of legal context, no individual here has the right the product which Jack makes. This in some sensem is equivalent to forcing a gay man to have sex with a girl so he doesn't have to be discriminatory.

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:28 PM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is a common argument coming from your side. Discrimination based on sexuality and discrimination based on political beliefs are 2 different animals. A gay marriage is a celebration of love while a Nazi rally is a celebration of hatred. Also I don’t remember gay people killing millions of Christian, meanwhile I DO remember Nazis killing millions of Jews.

But yes, in your given scenario I would like to think that the Jew would make the cake. If it’s a standard celebration cake, that’s the jew’s job so...

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:29 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

He said he will not make a cake for a gay wedding. So it doesn’t matter which type of cake is being asked for, he simply won’t make a cake for a gay wedding.

Hypothetically if the gay couple’s favorite superhero is Spider-Man and they ask for a Spider-Man themed wedding cake, the cake maker would refuse because it is for a gay wedding.

But before you were saying standard cake and now you are talking about custom themed cakes. He does not want to do a custom cake for a gay wedding. That is what it seems like to me.

So you are saying he said he would refuse to sell them any wedding cake regardless? Because again there is conflicting information.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:30 PM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

They will say political party is not a protected class.
Very good Surt, I’m proud of you

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:30 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
This entire debate is based on a faulty premise. Regardless of legal context, no individual here has the right the product which Jack makes. This in some sensem is equivalent to forcing a gay man to have sex with a girl so he doesn't have to be discriminatory.

I agree, but I also want to get the details correct. Some have said he wasn't unwilling to sell them a standard wedding cake. Others have said no he was completely opposed to selling them any wedding cake at all.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:31 PM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

But before you were saying standard cake and now you are talking about custom themed cakes. He does not want to do a custom cake for a gay wedding. That is what it seems like to me.

So you are saying he said he would refuse to sell them any wedding cake regardless? Because again there is conflicting information.
Yes, any wedding cake regardless. All wedding cakes are custom made because they need to be huge enough for s hundred people. Those kinds of cakes aren’t just kept on the shelves.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:32 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is a common argument coming from your side. Discrimination based on sexuality and discrimination based on political beliefs are 2 different animals. A gay marriage is a celebration of love while a Nazi rally is a celebration of hatred. Also I don’t remember gay people killing millions of Christian, meanwhile I DO remember Nazis killing millions of Jews.

But yes, in your given scenario I would like to think that the Jew would make the cake. If it’s a standard celebration cake, that’s the jew’s job so...

But to me discrimination is unjust treatment, that is what it boils down to. Isn't religion also protected? So we treat one protected class unjustly in order to make sure they treat another protected class justly?

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:33 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, any wedding cake regardless. All wedding cakes are custom made because they need to be huge enough for s hundred people. Those kinds of cakes aren’t just kept on the shelves.

Well like I said there just seems to be conflicting information, when is the next date for this trial?

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:35 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Wait, was the issue that the dude didn't want to make a specific kind of cake or that he wouldn't sell them a cake at all?

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:35 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Hypothetically they could have bought a cake that was already made on the counter and called it a wedding cake, he didn't deny them service of goods in the shop. He said he wouldn't make a cake for their wedding from the wedding cake selection.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 05:39 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote