KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Grant Morrison VERSUS KMC

Grant Morrison VERSUS KMC
Started by: LordofBrooklyn

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SquallX

quote: (post)
Originally posted by krisblaze
Really?

Because the writer for berserk basically did a year of nothing but double page splashes and no content.

Its a different beast for sure but its been nearly 10 years since Berserk was good.

Berserk has always been good. Slow, super ****ing slow moving, but each chapter still good.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 04:37 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

quote:
i haven't followed this thread but along those lines kirby cannot possibly be left out of any list of the greatest writers. his best could stand up with anyone and the list of his achievements is lonngggg... and gardner fox. hard to measure the impact his ideas had on dc cosmology. the implications of his original flash stories were basically setting the stage for....all the crises that followed.

stupid bottom of the page.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 04:42 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by leonidas
stupid bottom of the page.

Don't know enough about Fox specifically to comment. But historical significance and "great writer" are surely different things. Often it's hard to separate one from the other - as with Kirby and Lee - though of course they both have enough great work to be discussed in a thread like this. It's just hard to judge them on merit alone. At least imo.

Anyway, no arguments on the Kirby inclusion, and I like the nod to the past. But I'd put the question to you: was Fox also a great writer? Or more a significant one?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:29 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Gardner Fox is an underrated legend. His JLA rivals Stan and Kirby in terms of creativity.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:30 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

Originally posted by Digi
Stan Lee

Do I really need to list books? In unrelated news, he's apparently battling pneumonia atm, and at his age...let's hope this doesn't turn into a tribute thread in the next 48 hours or so.

Lee AND Kirby.

Lee AND Ditko.

What are the PURELY solo Lee efforts you can cite?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:31 PM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
Lee AND Kirby.

Lee AND Ditko.

What are the PURELY solo Lee efforts you can cite?

No real argument on that point. Just throwing him into the mix. My truer entries were Ellis and Moore, and cosigning others like Gaiman and Shooter.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by SquallX
Berserk has always been good. Slow, super ****ing slow moving, but each chapter still good.

The work is still great as a whole.

The last five years have been pretty mediocre.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:46 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by abhilegend
Gardner Fox is an underrated legend. His JLA rivals Stan and Kirby in terms of creativity.

thumb up

his flash stuff was visionary at the time too. as to digi's question: there is certainly a distinction to be made between significant and great, but i'm not sure the degree of separation is that great in most/many cases. i think any GREAT writer, obviously carries, or has contributed work that would be considered SIGNIFICANT.

the obverse isn't necessarily true--someone can have a significant piece of work but not BE great, in terms of consistency. f scott fitzgerald, harper lee and jd salinger come to mind as novelists, but there are several more, and more current examples.

in fox's case though i would say he could be considered great. not only for his vision and impact, but for having written some truly great stories. problem is people reading them today--kids, young adults--may not see them as great NOW. does that mean they shouldn't be considered great? subjectivity is a beeatch.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:59 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

thumb up

his flash stuff was visionary at the time too. as to digi's question: there is certainly a distinction to be made between significant and great, but i'm not sure the degree of separation is that great in most/many cases. i think any GREAT writer, obviously carries, or has contributed work that would be considered SIGNIFICANT.

the obverse isn't necessarily true--someone can have a significant piece of work but not BE great, in terms of consistency. f scott fitzgerald, harper lee and jd salinger come to mind as novelists, but there are several more, and more current examples.

in fox's case though i would say he could be considered great. not only for his vision and impact, but for having written some truly great stories. problem is people reading them today--kids, young adults--may not see them as great NOW. does that mean they shouldn't be considered great? subjectivity is a beeatch.

thumb up

Good post, not much to add. I had some really old JSA stuff at one point (reprints, not originals, but from the Silver Age) that would fall into that subjective sinkhole as well. I always enjoyed them, at least.

Frank Miller might be a good candidate for the "significant, not great" category. His best work is excellent but I'm not sure it's aged as well as some? I may be wrong.

Or Loeb. The Long Halloween is one of my favorite comics ever (and heavily influenced the Nolan movies), and he has other important works as well. But he's also been a pin cushion for criticism.

Last edited by Digi on Feb 28th, 2018 at 06:07 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:03 PM
SquallX

Originally posted by krisblaze
The work is still great as a whole.

The last five years have been pretty mediocre.

With the slow pacing, yeah.

But on a good news, Casca’s back. Only had to wait 20 years.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:19 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

thumb up

Good post, not much to add. I had some really old JSA stuff at one point (reprints, not originals, but from the Silver Age) that would fall into that subjective sinkhole as well. I always enjoyed them, at least.

Frank Miller might be a good candidate for the "significant, not great" category. His best work is excellent but I'm not sure it's aged as well as some? I may be wrong.

Or Loeb. The Long Halloween is one of my favorite comics ever (and heavily influenced the Nolan movies), and he has other important works as well. But he's also been a pin cushion for criticism.
Loeb at his peak is great. The problem is he can also be bottom of the barrel stuff ever since his son went on a vacation to Valhalla.
Bendis used to be pretty good too. Nowadays he is more often than not complete trash. Which is why I was interested in someone making his best and worst lists. I don't know what happened to him though. His brain died?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:29 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by One Big Mob
Loeb at his peak is great. The problem is he can also be bottom of the barrel stuff ever since his son went on a vacation to Valhalla.

He wrote Hush too, yeah? He gets Batman. Even if his "average" was far below those, I'd be cool having him on Batman indefinitely if we got work on that (or Long Halloween's) level every handful of years.

I was never terribly into Bendis, so I'm less interested there. Johns is another interesting case study, since he earned his "golden child" status at DC on things like JSA, GL and Infinite Crisis. Then he cooled considerably.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:50 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

thumb up

miller is an interesting one. his best is truly great. dk is one of the greatest comics ever written, for certain. i think some of his dd stuff was truly great as well. batman year 1 was one of my fave batman stories ever and i loved wolverine. many loved ronin too. i dunno man, hard to leave him off a list of greatest comic writers of all time imo. his best matches up with almost anyone's....

bendis had some good stuff but i certainly wouldn't put him on a GREAT list yet. i'd place hickman above him, and probably johns too in terms of 'recent greats'.

not sure if anyone mentioned starlin, but as terrible as he has been (and i think his recent work has taken him OUT of any all time great list, he had some seminal works in the past and certainly deserves mention as significant, if not great.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 07:53 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Re: Grant Morrison VERSUS KMC

Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn

(please log in to view the image)

Quintillion times better than Whedon's Astonishing thumb up

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 08:27 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Warren Ellis /thread

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 08:33 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Ellis' work is good, but Morrison is on a different level.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 08:35 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Disagree, crooked little vein, gun machine are prose and tropes of quality. Even Ellis's use of a Jesus Buttplug is worth a giggle.

Warren Ellis /end thread

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 08:39 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Warren Ellis

Garth Ennis

Mike Carey

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:19 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Dark Saint

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:20 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

miller is an interesting one. his best is truly great. dk is one of the greatest comics ever written, for certain. i think some of his dd stuff was truly great as well. batman year 1 was one of my fave batman stories ever and i loved wolverine. many loved ronin too. i dunno man, hard to leave him off a list of greatest comic writers of all time imo. his best matches up with almost anyone's....

bendis had some good stuff but i certainly wouldn't put him on a GREAT list yet. i'd place hickman above him, and probably johns too in terms of 'recent greats'.

not sure if anyone mentioned starlin, but as terrible as he has been (and i think his recent work has taken him OUT of any all time great list, he had some seminal works in the past and certainly deserves mention as significant, if not great.

You convinced me on Miller. I forgot he did "Year One" and I guess I haven't read as much of his stuff as I thought. I thought of Starlin briefly too, but yeah, agreed.

Bendis does very little for me. Hickman's fine. Johns was on fire for a period of time, but has cooled imo.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

This is all subjective, but it's worth having the discussion just to remind us of certain writers and books. Ellis is my #1 as well, but I won't argue too hard if someone else is repping most of those mentioned in this thread, bc it's splitting hairs after a while.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:26 PM