KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Schumer the Clown "I wont vote for this judge because he's white."

Schumer the Clown "I wont vote for this judge because he's white."
Started by: Blindside12

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

quote: (post)
Originally posted by aalyasecura95
@nibedicus: not in broader society no. he still lacks power in society. however he is clearly prejudiced for singling out a white woman to attack. but this does not change the privilege of white people in society at large, who actually have the power to oppress and discriminate minorities and deny them opportunities.

Yup. Cuz the “privilege” sure helped her here. Tell me, at what time did that woman have the power to oppress that black guy in that scenario? At what time could she deny him any opportunity?

Methinks you have a very specific, very skewed and very biased view on what qualifies as racism.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 09:23 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

@nibedicus: not in broader society no. he still lacks power in society. however he is clearly prejudiced for singling out a white woman to attack. but this does not change the privilege of white people in society at large, who actually have the power to oppress and discriminate minorities and deny them opportunities.

What whites? What positions of power?

White "trumpers" are generally looked down at as uneducated hicks who work at Wendy's.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 09:23 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

okay it looks like a lot of white ppl are flipping out when i call out their privilege. i am not saying that people of other cultures cannot be poor or say prejudiced things, but white ppl have a special privilege and place in society due to slavery and oppression and also colonialism. in their native countries this gives white people the power to turn their prejudice into racist policy that discriminates against other people. you cannot say that policy crafted to help minorities who have no power is racist because they are simply correcting the wrongs that already exist, and actually don't have much representation or ability to escape/improve their condition as whites do.

Informing you that you are wrong is not flipping out. You talking about white privilege only makes sense if you just time traveled here from the 1950s.

And yes, a policy created to prioritize race is indeed racist. Notice the policy wasn't "if you have people from a variety of different races and they are all equally qualified, just put their names in a hat and pick one" or anything like that. It was "if everything else is equal, factor in race".

And yes, what Chuck Schumer did was also racist and anyone who doesn't see that is mentally challenged. His only concern should have been if the person was or was not qualified. If the situation was different and it was Republicans complaining about there being too many blacks chosen...the Democrats would have an utter meltdown.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 09:35 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

it would come in a combination of many different forms. of course there are cash payments but also infrastructure projects with jobs reserved for black ppl. also we need more housing and give black people the same help that white people got for mortgages. then we need much more investment into the education in black areas where the schools are struggling. these are just a few of the solutions and experts could probably list many more.

Your only legitimate point there is investment in education.

Seems to me the only true reparations is to return descendants of slavery to the pre-slavery state. That was tried in Liberia and Sierra Leone and didn't exactly turn out too well despite colossal initial investment.

Some great examples of how it went were the American Liberians seizing power and preventing indigenous Liberians from voting. The American Liberian population splitting into factions based on wealth. They received hundreds of millions of dollars of investment without stipulation and squandered it all via corruption and embezzlement. Economic mismanagement caused their own currency to collapse and forced them to adopt the US Dollar. Then in 1927 it was found that the Liberian government was, ironically, using indigenous slave labour. Jog on a few years and you get 2 civil wars, genocide, child slave soldiers, general butt naked and his redemption and now the mighty AC Milan player George Weah as President so at least things are looking up if his phenomenal goal against Verona is anything to go by.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 10:26 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Education has problems that need more then money to correct.

Deep rooted, systemic problems.

We all went through "the system", so you probably know what I'm talking about. There's too many competing priorities, due to the very nature of a buraucracy at the public level.

And higher ed isn't much better.. At that level, it becomes about research grants, publishing in journals, the presteige of the school and the money brought into it. Education itself is literally the lowest priority.

Basically, we have a major competing interest here: The needs of the kids vs the needs of the people who work in the industries, to advance their own careers.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 10:33 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

okay it looks like a lot of white ppl are flipping out when i call out their privilege.

Congratulations on derailing the thread just when it seemed like it was going to start getting productive. thumb up

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 11:04 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

@nibedicus: no but he can be prejudiced. he doesn't have the power to oppress and discriminate in a meaningful way however and so that prejudice cannot be translated to true racism.

Google the definition for racism. Power in society is no where mentioned in the definition. You're trying to shift the definition into something else so that it can't be used against racist members of minorities, but your definition is in no way factually accurate.

Last edited by darthgoober on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 11:47 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 11:41 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jaden101
Seems to me the only true reparations is to return descendants of slavery to the pre-slavery state.
One of the most ridiculous regressive attitudes out there. Centuries of slavery and oppression don't just get returned for a refund...

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 06:40 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
Informing you that you are wrong is not flipping out. You talking about white privilege only makes sense if you just time traveled here from the 1950s.

And yes, a policy created to prioritize race is indeed racist. Notice the policy wasn't "if you have people from a variety of different races and they are all equally qualified, just put their names in a hat and pick one" or anything like that. It was "if everything else is equal, factor in race".

And yes, what Chuck Schumer did was also racist and anyone who doesn't see that is mentally challenged. His only concern should have been if the person was or was not qualified. If the situation was different and it was Republicans complaining about there being too many blacks chosen...the Democrats would have an utter meltdown.
Racism doesn't affect white people as badly as it affects minorities. THAT is privilege.

And when almost everyone in power is white, ideally that should be because they're all the most qualified and it's all a crazy coincidence. Unfortunately, that's not the reason. There's such a diverse pool of qualified people to choose from and yet the only nominations are for more white people, again and again.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 06:46 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Yup. Cuz the “privilege” sure helped her here. Tell me, at what time did that woman have the power to oppress that black guy in that scenario? At what time could she deny him any opportunity?

Methinks you have a very specific, very skewed and very biased view on what qualifies as racism.
Your thinking is on a very micro level. That person is speaking "broadly"

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 06:49 AM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by Firefly218
Your thinking is on a very micro level. That person is speaking "broadly"

Irrelevant. This scenario was on a micro level. Bringing up the macro to excuse the vile racism of another just showcases his bias and racial prejudice (aka racism).

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 06:53 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Irrelevant. This scenario was on a micro level. Bringing up the macro to excuse the vile racism of another just showcases his bias and racial prejudice (aka racism).
A white person can suffer racism just as a black person can, that is not under dispute. Skin color alone doesn't mean a thing, it's the social structures behind it that are the problem.

For example, a white man named Bob owns a bar and a black man named John walks in.

If John is racist towards Bob, he'll just get refused service and it won't affect Bob. John has no power over Bob.

If Bob is racist towards John though, he has the power the kick him out of the bar and refuse him reentry.

The skin color alone didn't mean a thing, you see what I mean?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:02 AM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

A white person can suffer racism just as a black person can, that is not under dispute. Skin color alone doesn't mean a thing, it's the social structures behind it that are the problem.

For example, a white man named Bob owns a bar and a black man named John walks in.

If John is racist towards Bob, he'll just get refused service and it won't affect Bob. John has no power over Bob.

If Bob is racist towards John though, he has the power the kick him out of the bar and refuse him reentry.

Did you read the scenario I posted or did you just skim thru the posts? That literally has no bearing on what I just posted.

Also, you understand that there are laws preventing the Bb scenario and Bob may wll be crucified by both the media and social media, right?

Somehow I don’t see the opposite happening in this day and age if John owned the bar and kicked Bob out of it for being white...

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:08 AM
darthgoober

The person he's debating is of the opinion that minorities can't be racist, only white people can. That's actually the very thing being disputed in their discussion.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:11 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah I just skimmed dude.

The laws are great, but I was using that example not literally but as a kind of metaphorical allusion. In America, white people still own the bar.

If John owned the bar and kicked out Bob, that would metaphorically be an example of black privilege. And would be equally wrong to white privilege. There's no double standards here.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:15 AM
Silent Master

Originally posted by darthgoober
The person he's debating is of the opinion that minorities can't be racist, only white people can. That's actually the very thing being disputed in their discussion.

Firefly is just here to White Knight and cheerlead,

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:18 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Nah I just skimmed dude.

The laws are great, but I was using that example not literally but as a kind of metaphorical allusion. In America, white people still own the bar.

If John owned the bar and kicked out Bob, that would metaphorically be an example of black privilege. And would be equally wrong to white privilege. There's no double standards here.

I know what you were trying to do and my point applies to the metaphorical as well as the literal. The media/social media would crucify anyone who would excersize said “privilege” in such a manner.

Now stop skimming and actually read what the guy I am debating with has been implying, it’s barely 1 1/2 pages back.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:20 AM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by darthgoober
That's just a semantics thing, you're arguing definitions. That person's definition of racism is different from yours.

You say that any discrimination based on skin color is racism, right? He says racism can only come when those in power discriminate based on skin color.

Ultimately you can at least agree that both types of racism are wrong

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:20 AM
darthgoober

Nah I just skimmed dude.

A black man just held the deed for 8 years...

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:21 AM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

That's just a semantics thing, you're arguing definitions. That person's definition of racism is different from yours.

You say that any discrimination based on skin color is racism, right? He says racism can only come when those in power discriminate based on skin color.

Ultimately you can at least agree that both types of racism are wrong

Power is relative (as per my example). His definition of what “ppl in power” can be is very specific to white ppl while ignoring other examples of similar nature. That is because he is racist.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 07:23 AM