KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why is American High School Education like American Sport generally so poor?

Why is American High School Education like American Sport generally so poor?
Started by: Putinbot1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
No bias there -_-

Are you dumb? US news is an organization headed by Wharton School of Business and multiple international data collection organizations.

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 01:13 AM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
Are you dumb? US news is an organization headed by Wharton School of Business and multiple international data collection organizations.
Bias is everywhere kid. You'll learn academic Integrity falls to all agendas when you are older. Your post reveals your lack of understanding of the world. you are ridiculously naive.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 08:40 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Putinbot1
Haha, I guess that's an interesting American mathematical perspective DDM. I would have chosen "of" instead of about... but then I learnt English in the UK. wink

Don't worry, it's a regional thing:

https://lingohelp.me/preposition-af...bout-for-in-to/

Also, where I'm from, "learnt" is frowned upon because it is seen as an uneducated use of "learned" similar to using the word "ain't." It is still correct. But, don't worry, I won't criticize you for it - even indirectly - because the great American Education I received also taught that language is quite fluid.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:05 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Don't worry, it's a regional thing:

https://lingohelp.me/preposition-af...bout-for-in-to/

Also, where I'm from, "learnt" is frowned upon because it is seen as an uneducated use of "learned" similar to using the word "ain't." It is still correct. But, don't worry, I won't criticize you for it - even indirectly - because the great American Education I received also taught that language is quite fluid.
Yeah, I can understand why having learnt might be frowned upon in the US. But I won't criticise you for the way you destroy a beautiful language. smile

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:09 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Yeah, I can understand why having learnt might be frowned upon in the US. But I won't criticise you for the way you destroy a beautiful language. smile

Right, 'learnt' is frowned upon in primary school in English speaking countries but it is still picked up in the less educated parts of the population. I suppose you were ill or on holiday when they taught this lesson in your primary school class?

Do not worry, I will not criticize you for your inappropriate corrections of English, as well. We are good pals.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Right, 'learnt' is frowned upon in primary school in English speaking countries but it is still picked up in the less educated parts of the population. I suppose you were ill or on holiday when they taught this lesson in your primary school class?

Do not worry, I will not criticize you for your inappropriate corrections of English, as well. We are good pals.
Learnt is actually not frowned upon at all.

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Both are acceptable, but learned is often used in both British English and American English, while learnt is much more common in British English than in American English.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/u...arnt-vs-learned

There you go.

Facts! Something Americans hate.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:21 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

As someone who studied English at university I can tell you all that the only important thing I learned about grammar and spelling is that its all a crock of horseshit a bunch of old rich bastards just decided was 'correct' and then forced everyone to conform to.

If it carries your meaning across then its proper English. There's no inherent right or wrongness to any way someone speaks and language is constantly evolving in how people use it.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:30 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nephthys
As someone who studied English at university I can tell you all that the only important thing I learned about grammar and spelling is that its all a crock of horseshit a bunch of old rich bastards just decided was 'correct' and then forced everyone to conform to.

If it carries your meaning across then its proper English. There's no inherent right or wrongness to any way someone speaks and language is constantly evolving in how people use it.
I remember when I did my CELTA between degrees 29 years ago, I ended up thinking exactly the same thing.

But there is no excuse for Roadman dialect.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:33 PM
dadudemon

Learnt is actually not frowned upon at all.

Actually, it is.

http://www.writing-skills.com/60-se...arnt-or-learned

quote:
In British writing, for instance, it appears about once for every three instances of learned. In the U.S. and Canada, meanwhile, learnt appears only once for approximately every 500 instances of learned, and it’s generally considered colloquial.

I messaged a British primary school teacher. She confirms that she teaches the children "learned" as "learnt" is the lazy uneducated version. This just so happens to coincide with other British English speakers reporting that they were taught to spell it with "learned" in primary school but kept the colloquial "learnt" as adults.

It's as if language is fluid and communication occurs if the message is okay. Perhaps linguistic elitism is for the small minded and uncouth?

Facts! Something Americans hate.

Do you understand that you're playing a game that makes my exact point? smile I think you are getting too old to play these games. thumb up

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:34 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually, it is.

I messaged a British primary school teacher. She confirms that she teaches the children "learned" as "learnt" is the lazy uneducated version. This just so happens to coincide with other British English speakers reporting that they were taught to spell it with "learned" in primary school but kept the colloquial "learnt" as adults.

It's as if language is fluid and communication occurs if the message is okay. Perhaps linguistic elitism is for the small minded and uncouth?

Do you understand that you're playing a game that makes my exact point? smile I think you are getting too old to play this games as the player is getting played
Well perhaps she should write to the Oxford Dictionary and tell them they are the wrong DDM. Afterall she, I am certain is better qualified than the compilers there are. As I am sure is your website's compilers.

Last edited by Putinbot1 on Apr 9th, 2018 at 04:39 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:36 PM
Scribble

Actually, it is.

Do you understand that you're playing a game that makes my exact point? smile I think you are getting too old to play these games. thumb up
I personally use 'learnt' because it reduces confusion in text when referring to someone who is 'learned' (i.e., Learn-Ed), but overall I agree with your statement that language is fluid and can and should change to suit the needs of the user.

It's not an excuse to get their / there / they're wrong, though, to me that just shows an adversity to detail and a desire to learn (not that you do this, you don't, but many other users on this forum do, and it makes it slightly harder to believe that their political beliefs are particularly well thought through).

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:40 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
I personally use 'learnt' because it reduces confusion in text when referring to someone who is 'learned' (i.e., Learn-Ed), but overall I agree with your statement that language is fluid and can and should change to suit the needs of the user.

It's not an excuse to get their / there / they're wrong, though, to me that just shows an adversity to detail and a desire to learn (not that you do this, you don't, but many other users on this forum do, and it makes it slightly harder to believe that their political beliefs are particularly well thought through).
I always got taught to remember the there and their difference as T-here for location. It saves confusion.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:43 PM
dadudemon

Well perhaps she should write to the Oxford Dictionary and tell them they are the wrong DDM. Afterall she, I am certain is better qualified than the compilers there are. As I am sure is your website's compilers.

Yes, I'll ask them why they list "learned" first, why "learnt" only appears in only 1 out of 3 instances of British English, and request an etymology of when 'learned' evolved into 'learnt." Good idea! Oh, wait, I'm not a linguistic elitist and it doesn't matter to me. thumb up

thumb up

I do not care for the idea of being a spelling and grammar Nazi. I care more about the message. For example, there are several physicists who have atrocious spelling and punctuation but are leaders in their field of study. They are definitely not idiots or stupid.

Also, I have used the incorrect versions of 'your' on several occasions. When you're typing fast, you're correct, it's just not paying attention to detail. I am a frequent offender of making careless mistakes like this. And the damn edit function on KMC has brought down post quality since it broke, in my opinion.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:50 PM
Scribble

I always got taught to remember the there and their difference as T-here for location. It saves confusion.
I think the best way to learn is just to be aware of resources that can help you remember which is applicable, and to refer to them any time you have any doubt. After a while, it'll just come naturally. Same with any other grammatical details, or even with learning a new language entirely.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:51 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the best way to learn is just to be aware of resources that can help you remember which is applicable, and to refer to them any time you have any doubt. After a while, it'll just come naturally. Same with any other grammatical details, or even with learning a new language entirely.
I agree, when I first learnt Arabic, the three versions of each letter was a struggle. I miss Marius, I have no one to use my terrible German on here.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 04:58 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, I'll ask them why they list "learned" first, why "learnt" only appears in only 1 out of 3 instances of British English, and request an etymology of when 'learned' evolved into 'learnt." Good idea! Oh, wait, I'm not a linguistic elitist and it doesn't matter to me. thumb up

thumb up

I do not care for the idea of being a spelling and grammar Nazi. I care more about the message. For example, there are several physicists who have atrocious spelling and punctuation but are leaders in their field of study. They are definitely not idiots or stupid.

Also, I have used the incorrect versions of 'your' on several occasions. When you're typing fast, you're correct, it's just not paying attention to detail. I am a frequent offender of making careless mistakes like this. And the damn edit function on KMC has brought down post quality since it broke, in my opinion.
My English is Excellent, but English is not what any of my three degrees are in. But I have no need to brag re-qualifications, I got them long ago. I make very few errors to be honest in English. I mean really a comma between "elitist" and "and" is needed, but who cares. As you say we are not grammar nazis. I do like to read decent prose though.

Last edited by Putinbot1 on Apr 9th, 2018 at 05:06 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 05:04 PM
dadudemon

My English is Excellent, but English is not what any of my three degrees are in.

My English is Super Excellent, but English is not what any of my 5 degrees are in.

But I have no need to brag re-qualifications, I got them long ago.

You're right: no need to brag about them. I got my last degree 3 years ago and my last Professional Certification a few months ago. No need to brag about these things as that would be just lame and terrible.

I make very few errors to be honest in English. I mean really a comma between "elitist" and "and" is needed, but who cares. As you say we are not grammar nazis. I do like to read decent prose though.

Nah, it's not needed. It would be incorrect to add that. This is why you're only Excellent and I'm Super Excellent. You're still making simplistic mistakes like that.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 05:10 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

My English is Super Excellent, but English is not what any of my 5 degrees are in.

You're right: no need to brag about them. I got my last degree 3 years ago and my last Professional Certification a few months ago. No need to brag about these things as that would be just lame and terrible.

Nah, it's not needed. It would be incorrect to add that. This is why you're only Excellent and I'm Super Excellent. You're still making simplistic mistakes like that.
AS for professional certification, I have the highest in my field. But yes no need to brag, I also have nowhere to go career-wise as I am at the very top of a very competitive field. I would have chosen simple over simplistic in that sentence. Yes, you make lots of English errors.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 05:28 PM
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Putinbot still butt hurt that the Waffen-SS put many of his ancestors six feet under.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 05:49 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

AS for professional certification, I have the highest in my field. But yes no need to brag, I also have nowhere to go career-wise as I am at the very top of a very competitive field. I would have chosen simple over simplistic in that sentence. Yes, you make lots of English errors.
So you possess much market value I assume? After all, the entire point of higher education is to gain market value so that you can make a return on your investment spent on hefty tuition costs. For example, choosing to pursue a degree in philosophy, english, or liberal arts over, say, electrical engineering would be incredibly asinine since it's extremely unlikely you'll ever make back the tuition spent on a "hobby" degree—which in the eyes of an employer means nothing.

Of course I know you wouldn't have made such a foolish mistake since you seem to hold yourself in high regard on these forums smile .

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 9th, 2018 06:17 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote