KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Rise of Kylo Ren (comic series)

The Rise of Kylo Ren (comic series)
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Hmmm. You know something as incredibly important as this would have been nice to see in the films rather than regulate it to some obscure comic...
Indeed it would have. The fact that information THIS detrimental to the plot needs to be gathered from supplementary material tells you what a horrible failure the films have been.

On that note, I found this bit from the solicit very intriguing as well:
"With the new Jedi school in ruins and fellow students hot on his trail for the murder of their master, Ben Solo flees to the only friend he has left in the galaxy...a man named Snoke."

This implies that the surviving students believed Luke was dead in the wake of Ben's betrayal. So does that mean Luke faked his death, and/or hid himself from the students afterward? Or was he still just KO'd from Ben's attack when they left the planet?

Furthermore, it also implies that the surviving students were hunting Ben down to avenge Luke's "death", and didn't necessarily join his cause and turn to the dark side like many of us originally suspected.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 24th, 2019 at 07:55 PM

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 07:43 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Originally posted by Galan007
According to the cover/solicits for issue #2, Luke and Ben will actually be shown fighting the Knights of Ren in a flashback... Which is something I didn't expect to see:

(please log in to view the image)

*I'm guessing the Knight who's holding the red lightsaber is their previous Master. Ben will ultimately kill him and become "Master of the Knights of Ren".
Wow. If I wasn't interested in this before, I definitely am now. thumb up

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 07:52 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

Actually looks pretty cool

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 07:56 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

When does this come out? Also was it ever explained how they got Luke’s old lightsaber back from Bespin?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 07:57 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Cover/Solicits for issue #3:

(please log in to view the image)
quote:
"BEN SOLO, KNIGHT OF REN?"

-Soon, BEN SOLO'S path will end in a place of fire and blood, and a shadow will rise to take his place. He is with the KNIGHTS OF REN now, and they will welcome him, if he can pay their price.

-But before that destiny is fulfilled, a battle must be fought at an ancient JEDI Outpost on the planet ELPHRODA - between Ben and those who know what he could have been... and fear what he might become.

-Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Everyone here is afraid - Ben Solo most of all!

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 26th, 2019 at 11:57 PM

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 08:23 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Wow finally, something that is interesting....I still feel something bad though..

Old Post Oct 24th, 2019 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to this mini quite a bit, because it seems like it's going to do quite a bit of character/world-building, and fill in some of the holes left by the films.

It's unfortunate that I have to read comic books to get this info, but here we are...

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 25th, 2019 at 01:21 AM

Old Post Oct 25th, 2019 01:14 AM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

^That could be cool actually. Some nice action for Kyle. His fight against Rey and Luke were lackluster

Old Post Dec 7th, 2019 07:44 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, it's interesting. The overall plot of the first 3 issues seems to be:

-Snoke starts corrupting Ben.
-Ben betrays Luke.
-Luke's other students think he's dead, and rush after Ben to get some revenge(which isn't very Jedi-like, btw.)
-Ben must defeat the previous master of the Knights of Ren(who he and Luke had evidently encountered years prior) before he can properly become "Kylo Ren", lead the KoR, and become Snoke's apprentice.
-The other students find Kylo, and he presumably fights/kills them.

But I also have a feeling that Kylo won't be portrayed as definitively 'evil' in this. It will still show us that there's still good in him, etc.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 7th, 2019 at 08:28 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2019 08:25 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

I still wonder about Luke.. why the heck didn’t he try to contact his apprentices? I must have seen that some of his Padawans were missing among the dead bodies of the temple. Why not seek them?
Also, do you remember in episode 7, Rey has a vision with the Knights of Ren and several bodies on the ground? That may be the setting of Kylo vs Jedi

Old Post Dec 7th, 2019 09:04 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Hopefully Luke tries to rescue his apprentices, but by the time he finds them they've already been killed or w/e. I'd prefer that to be the final straw that makes him renounce the force and go off the grid(even though that in itself is still retarded), as the alternative would be Luke just up and quitting without even going after his apprentices... Which would be an even bigger "f*ck you" to his character.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 7th, 2019 at 10:08 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2019 10:05 PM
Darth Thor

Hopefully Luke tries to rescue his apprentices, but by the time he finds them they've already been killed or w/e. I'd prefer that to be the final straw that makes him renounce the force and go off the grid(even though that in itself is still retarded), as the alternative would be Luke just up and quitting without even going after his apprentices... Which would be an even bigger "f*ck you" to his character.

It really is Lose Lose.

But yeah letting his apprentices die first would be even worse. But kind of expected from the Luke who sat around for years whining about being a Jedi whilst his best friend and the entire new Republic were getting murdered and slaughtered.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 12:16 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I'm still not really understanding the Rens choice of weaponry honestly.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 12:20 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to this mini quite a bit, because it seems like it's going to do quite a bit of character/world-building, and fill in some of the holes left by the films.

It's unfortunate that I have to read comic books to get this info, but here we are...

Yep, Comicbooks should be about Kylo getting punked and saved by Hux

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 06:54 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

A few tidbits from Soule about the series:
https://www.starwars.com/news/marve...o-ren-interview

But the one that stood out was this:
quote:
An integral part of Ben Solo's journey involves the Knights of Ren, a mysterious helmeted posse we've only just glimpsed in The Force Awakens, but will meet again in the upcoming film Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Soule was inspired by motorcycle gangs, classic Westerns, and Samurai tales as he dramatized some of the lore behind the masked marauders. "They can all use the Force, the dark side of the Force, to varying degrees," he reveals. "They're not as powerful as a Jedi or a Sith, but they use it when they fight... They have some sort of a code, like a motorcycle gang, but it's not elaborate. They're flexible." Like all good galactic thugs and scoundrels, they're in it for themselves. "Mostly they're just kind of out to live their lives the way they want to live them and take what the galaxy will give them and eat what the dark side sends," Soule says.

So the KoR are indeed lower-level force users... I think that's the first official confirmation we've gotten.

It is also stated in the interview that there will be 3 Jedi students(that happened to be off-world during Ben's betrayal) who will be going after him in this... And it also mentions that Snoke will be "very different" in this than he was in TFA/TLJ.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 04:54 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

So the Knights of Ren are kind of like the FO's version of the Inquisitorious or what?

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 05:40 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Sheev
So the Knights of Ren are kind of like the FO's version of the Inquisitorious or what?

A gang as Soule says, really doubt it's anything like the Inquisitorius from the description.

I somewhat expected something like this I suppose, so I guess I'm not that surprised.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 05:52 PM
Rebel95

I think the Force Awakens visual dictionary already confirmed that the knights were force users, but it’s good to hear that hasn’t been retconned. It’ll be cool to see [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Kylo fight them in TROS

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 07:13 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
A gang as Soule says, really doubt it's anything like the Inquisitorius from the description.

I somewhat expected something like this I suppose, so I guess I'm not that surprised.
thumb up

Almost seems like they're basically a ragtag group of bounty hunters who can use the force... Much less formalized than the Inquisitorius by the sounds of it.

Originally posted by Rebel95
I think the Force Awakens visual dictionary already confirmed that the knights were force users, but it's good to hear that hasn't been retconned. It'll be cool to see [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Kylo fight them in TROS
Oh it did? Couldn't remember off hand.

Ah well, at least it's for sure the canon angle that Soule is going with. I'm just curious to see how formidable they are.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 07:30 PM
Zenwolf

Well if they aren't on the level of a Jedi or Sith, I can't imagine they'd be that great with The Force. Perhaps some enhanced physicals and standard precog, but I'm not expecting them to have any great huge TK prowess or anything.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2019 07:37 PM