KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel

Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
The Dark Knight in 2008 was maybe the Best film that year, and one of the Best of the decade. It actually shook up the Oscars, as they realized they were being too snobbish towards genre films, that they could be the equal of any indie drama. So the Best Picture nominees got expanded from five to ten the next year.

Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers, but it's disappointing hearing this from him as he's long been a lover of all film history. Now he's just another sourpuss complaining about Marvel & other Comic Book films sucking up almost all the attention from audiences; he and Steven Spielberg should start a club for grumpy old directors.

Complaining about these genre films is the same as the decades long complaint about Science Fiction & Fantasy films being the dominant genre in Hollywood, ever since Star Wars in 1977. You'd think these guys would be used to it by now.

thumb up thumb up

If the MCU was half as dominant, he wouldn't be saying anything at all. Comic Book related movies were just a weird genre that used to 'over there'; now they're sucking all the oxygen out of the room, and Scorsese just made a movie that will mostly be seen online via Netflix. He's clearly frustrated.

thumb up

90 years ago, talkie movies replaced silent movies, and silent screen stars like Lillian Gish complained that the movies were ruined, that talkies were an inferior art form. The older generation often complains about what replaces them.

Of these older directors, the one I don't hear making complaints about Comic Book movies is George Lucas. Maybe because he's retired and rich AF, but maybe because he's the only other one who knows about building a massive movie universe that can't be contained by one film.

exactly

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 08:30 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Poor Little Brucie. So Bitter and Hate Filled inside.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 08:36 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

90 years ago, talkie movies replaced silent movies, and silent screen stars like Lillian Gish complained that the movies were ruined, that talkies were an inferior art form. The older generation often complains about what replaces them.

Of these older directors, the one I don't hear making complaints about Comic Book movies is George Lucas. Maybe because he's retired and rich AF, but maybe because he's the only other one who knows about building a massive movie universe that can't be contained by one film.

Right on the money here.

I agree with plenty on this thread: Scorcese is right in some aspects, wrong in others. Are there plenty of Justice Leagues, Suicide Squads, and Iron Man 2's out there that are dumb spectacle-driven fun? Yes. Do some of those bust out and become great movies even on that foundation like GotG or Thor: Ragnarok? Yes. Are there some Dark Knights, Logans, even Infinity Wars that have their roots in comics and a cinematic universe that can have Oscar-caliber performances, character-driven drama and suspense, and nigh-perfectly paced plotting and action? Sure. Do some comic book films juggle all of the above? Most definitely. Can I enjoy a Man of Steel as much as a Prisoners, a Winter Soldier just as much as I can an Interstellar? Yes, both pairs were among my favorite movies of 2013 and 2014, respectively.

I see where he's coming from with studios seeing comic book films as the latest cash cow, and it'd be a shame if movies like Blade Runner 2049 and La La Land don't get made anymore due to everyone chasing the next billion-dollar box-office gross superhero flick. If he is talking about the latest Batman v Superman or Captain Marvel, agreed.

The emotional resonance thing though...completely disagree. I felt Black Panther's rage and desire for revenge against Bucky, Thor's heartache when he bore his heart to Rocket, and got goosebumps when Cap wielded Mjolnir and Thor landed in Wakanda. I'll admit I shed some tears when Tony died, when Logan died, when Steve finally got to have his dance with Peggy, and when Billy Batson learned that his mother left him at the fair on purpose. Scorcese is off base there.

It's funny that the current comic book film that is turning the genre on its head, Joker, is primarily inspired by Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, both Scorcese pictures.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 02:17 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Wasn't Scorsese the producer of the movie "The Snowman"?

Not that it matters, but that is in my top 5 shittiest movies I've ever seen.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 03:37 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Trocity

Step up your game. You clearly haven't seen nearly enough shitty movies.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 03:54 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Link

(please log in to view the image)

What a snob.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 05:01 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote:
“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn’t like his stuff either. There are a lot of Italian-Americans that don’t think he should be making films about them like that. Everybody’s got an opinion, so I mean it’s okay. Ain’t going to stop nobody from making movies.

From Sam L Jackson.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2019 12:32 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Right on the money here.

I agree with plenty on this thread: Scorcese is right in some aspects, wrong in others. Are there plenty of Justice Leagues, Suicide Squads, and Iron Man 2's out there that are dumb spectacle-driven fun? Yes. Do some of those bust out and become great movies even on that foundation like GotG or Thor: Ragnarok? Yes. Are there some Dark Knights, Logans, even Infinity Wars that have their roots in comics and a cinematic universe that can have Oscar-caliber performances, character-driven drama and suspense, and nigh-perfectly paced plotting and action? Sure. Do some comic book films juggle all of the above? Most definitely. Can I enjoy a Man of Steel as much as a Prisoners, a Winter Soldier just as much as I can an Interstellar? Yes, both pairs were among my favorite movies of 2013 and 2014, respectively.

I see where he's coming from with studios seeing comic book films as the latest cash cow, and it'd be a shame if movies like Blade Runner 2049 and La La Land don't get made anymore due to everyone chasing the next billion-dollar box-office gross superhero flick. If he is talking about the latest Batman v Superman or Captain Marvel, agreed.

The emotional resonance thing though...completely disagree. I felt Black Panther's rage and desire for revenge against Bucky, Thor's heartache when he bore his heart to Rocket, and got goosebumps when Cap wielded Mjolnir and Thor landed in Wakanda. I'll admit I shed some tears when Tony died, when Logan died, when Steve finally got to have his dance with Peggy, and when Billy Batson learned that his mother left him at the fair on purpose. Scorcese is off base there.

It's funny that the current comic book film that is turning the genre on its head, Joker, is primarily inspired by Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, both Scorcese pictures.

Very intelligent reasoning here.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 8th, 2019 01:31 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Kazenji
quote:
“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn’t like his stuff either. There are a lot of Italian-Americans that don’t think he should be making films about them like that. Everybody’s got an opinion, so I mean it’s okay. Ain’t going to stop nobody from making movies."
From Sam L Jackson.

As is often the case, Sam Jackson puts it succinctlly and wisely.

Although, I'm surprised there wasn't a "motherf##ker" in there. ha..

Old Post Oct 9th, 2019 11:25 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scottie
poiuytrewq

Lost a bit of respect for Scorces after this, i mean hes passing alot of critical judgement on something which he cant be arsed to watch which comes of pompas and ignorant.

~ This person is my favourite person on KMC ~

Old Post Oct 9th, 2019 09:12 PM
Scottie is currently offline Click here to Send Scottie a Private Message Find more posts by Scottie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Re: Martin Scorcese Slams Marvel

Link

(please log in to view the image)

I understand what he is saying. I actually had the exact same reaction walking out of Endgame. While the film was a spectacle, it lacked any meaningful emotional core beyond punching bad guys in the face en masse. I personally like to think that all good films are rooted in an primary emotional conflict which drives the protagonists to create the plot by making emotionally reactive and ethically questionable decisions and deal with the consequences, highlighting said primary emotional conflict (such as the political machinations of GOT, which is a large macroscopic plot that is rooted in the emotional conflicts of it's characters, or similarly Breaking Bad and The Wire, often considered the best shosw of all time precisely because their entire plot is centered around the emotional and ethical dilemmas of it's characters).

With a lot of comic book films, especially MCU ones, there is a lack of this emotional core, as the film's plot is usually driven by a bland villain with nebulously evil goals. Emotional and ethical complexity is discarded and replaced with the childishly simple view that there is absolute good and evil and the best way to defeat said evil is by punching it. While the MCU seems to have an emotional core due to the emotional subplots given to the characters, these subplots are usually meaningless to the story in general and only serve to generate melodrama and thus superficial sympathy for the characters (such as Cap's relation with Agent Carter, Thor's relationship with his mom, and Tony's relationship with his daughter, all of which are meaningless to the story but empathetic to the chaarcters), alongside a lot of self-referential humor which, along with the spectacle, helps serve as a gimmick of the film, but not an emotional core.

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of comic book films (such as the Dark Knight) and even MCU films (such as Dr. strange) that extend far beyond the standard popcorn flick and deliver amazing pieces of art. But, for the most part, comic book films are known for being simplistic in the exploration of it's themes, which is perfect when it comes to selling the franchise to kids and families, but somewhat unengaging for non-fanboy adult audiences beyond basic spectactle.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2019 10:09 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drsoe08
Nutjob

Completely agree with Scorsese. Marvel movies to cinema is what The Spice Girls are to music. Brainless "fun". Do they have their place? Of course, but dont try and pretend they are on the same level as true artistic films.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2019 12:14 PM
Drsoe08 is currently offline Click here to Send Drsoe08 a Private Message Find more posts by Drsoe08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Scorsese has a right to voice his opinion but that doesn’t mean he’s right.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 10th, 2019 12:27 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trocity

No he wasn’t

Old Post Oct 10th, 2019 01:59 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ He actually is listed as an "executive producer" for The Snowman.

But it doesn't really mean anything. He didn't direct the film.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2019 03:03 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Impediment
Scorsese has a right to voice his opinion but that doesn’t mean he’s right.

fabtabulous point

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 10th, 2019 09:16 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Drsoe08
Brainless "fun". Do they have their place? Of course, but dont try and pretend they are on the same level as true artistic films.

They're far from "Brainless" fun. The Fast and furious films is that and the MCU films are far from being in that ball park.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2019 06:32 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Oct 16th, 2019 07:31 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

He probably didn't see similar films like Star Wars or whatever they had for comic book films back then when he was younger.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2019 07:49 AM
Darth Thor

He’s doubled down

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...k-films-1247268

Ill get the popcorn and watch as people lose their shit.

Dont forget to post Jennifer Anistons comments as well.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2019 08:00 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote