KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Obi-Wan Kenobi - The Series

Obi-Wan Kenobi - The Series
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NemeBro

First episode was kind of bad but not as bad as Boba Fett so hey man improvement.

Old Post May 29th, 2022 08:14 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
"Something adults could watch too". Your words. And "kids" is a horrifically vague term. Hell, Lucas has flat out said that Star Wars was aimed initially at twelve-year old boys. That's not so true anymore, is it.

The toys thing is a different argument, and nowadays has shifted dramatically.
I think it's difficult for those who weren't almost 12 year old kids at the time to get it. I was almost 11 when it was first released in the UK.

Old Post May 29th, 2022 08:44 PM
Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Originally posted by ares834
confused

Disney is still selling tons of stuff from the EU. Hell, currently the most anticipated SW video game is a remake from the EU. It's far from being forgotten.

As for Lucas's claim that the films are for kids, he's always been a a bit of a liar when it comes to his revisionism. Like his claim that Vader was always meant to be Anakin. Any film that is centered on political maneuvering and trade disputes is clearly not meant to be only for kids. Now whether it was good or not is a different matter entirely.
Survivor is not from the EU

Old Post May 29th, 2022 09:45 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Then, following what I said, it's clearly not the most anticipated upcoming SW game. FYI, IGN recently did a poll and the KotOR Remake crushed all the competition including FO2. So this wasn't just some random claim by me.

Old Post May 29th, 2022 09:53 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

IGN is gay, you queer.

Old Post May 29th, 2022 10:06 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I know they aren't what they once were, but I can't stop going there for my video game news... It's a habit I can't break. Same reason why I post on this dying forum.

Last edited by ares834 on May 29th, 2022 at 10:35 PM

Old Post May 29th, 2022 10:32 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know they aren't what they once were, but I can't stop going there for my video game news... It's a habit I can't break. Same reason why I post on this dying forum.
This forum has been dying since 2009, it's presently probably got a wider variety of people posting than for a long time. I'm not talking about individual posters like Surt, TI or even me; I'm talking about volume of posters. In the working week, particularly, discussions happen. Not debates, discussions, most of us lost interest in debate years ago.

Old Post May 29th, 2022 10:50 PM
Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Lucy = Lucas

And here we were sure you were talking about Lord Lucien.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 30th, 2022 12:33 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

This forum has been dying since 2009, it's presently probably got a wider variety of people posting than for a long time. I'm not talking about individual posters like Surt, TI or even me; I'm talking about volume of posters. In the working week, particularly, discussions happen. Not debates, discussions, most of us lost interest in debate years ago.
I agree.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post May 30th, 2022 01:09 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think it's difficult for those who weren't almost 12 year old kids at the time to get it. I was almost 11 when it was first released in the UK.

I'm not sure I know what you're getting at. Are you saying that when you originally saw it, you believed it was aimed at you? I mean, I don't think that's an unfair assessment. Star Wars has a very broad appeal. Or at least, it did back then and to be fair, does now.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 30th, 2022 02:37 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by -Pr-
I'm not sure I know what you're getting at. Are you saying that when you originally saw it, you believed it was aimed at you? I mean, I don't think that's an unfair assessment. Star Wars has a very broad appeal. Or at least, it did back then and to be fair, does now.
I'm saying in 1977, the cinema was mainly full of kids.

Old Post May 30th, 2022 06:30 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Come on guys, Whirly's not being crazy here. SW was initially aimed largely at children in 1977 and it just grew into a something for everyone franchise.

IIRC, Lucas himself said similar in the 70s.

Edit: Found this: "It's aimed at kids - the kid in everybody" George Lucas, Star Wars and Children's Entertainment

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on May 30th, 2022 at 05:10 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2022 04:57 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

SW is a family film not merely a kid's film. Hell, that very quote you posted essentially says as much. Now, yes, after the release of TPM Lucas did use the "it's for kids" excuse to deflect criticism, but I found such an argument to be entirely unpersuasive. As I said before:

As for Lucas's claim that the films are for kids, he's always been a a bit of a liar when it comes to his revisionism. Like his claim that Vader was always meant to be Anakin. Any film that is centered on political maneuvering and trade disputes is clearly not meant to be only for kids. Now whether it was good or not is a different matter entirely.

Old Post May 30th, 2022 06:02 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

SW is a family film not merely a kid's film. Hell, that very quote you posted essentially says as much. Now, yes, after the release of TPM Lucas did use the "it's for kids" excuse to deflect criticism, but I found such an argument to be entirely unpersuasive. As I said before:
As someone who watched it at the pictures in 77 and had a Darth Vader poster from the poster magazine (aimed at kids) on one wall and a Chewie poster from the poster magazine on another, bought Marvels Star Wars weekly (aimed at kids) with Warlock and Starlord interestingly as the back up strips. I can tell you 100% it was aimed at kids. For those of you who found it much later when it had become geek culture you may see it differently.
Originally posted by Robtard
Come on guys, Whirly's not being crazy here. SW was initially aimed largely at children in 1977 and it just grew into a something for everyone franchise.

IIRC, Lucas himself said similar in the 70s.

Edit: Found this: "It's aimed at kids - the kid in everybody" George Lucas, Star Wars and Children's Entertainment
thumb up Exactly

Old Post May 30th, 2022 08:50 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by juggernaut74
I agree.
hi Juggy, I haven't seen you around in forever, good to see you.

Old Post May 30th, 2022 08:52 PM
ares834

As someone who watched it at the pictures in 77 and had a Darth Vader poster from the poster magazine (aimed at kids) on one wall and a Chewie poster from the poster magazine on another, bought Marvels Star Wars weekly (aimed at kids) with Warlock and Starlord interestingly as the back up strips. I can tell you 100% it was aimed at kids. For those of you who found it much later when it had become geek culture you may see it differently.

You've said this multiple times, but it's ultimately irrelevant to my point about the distinction between kid and family films. Pixar films are family films, Marvel films are family films, and yes SW films are undeniably films. They are films that can and are meant to be enjoyed by the whole family.

Old Post May 30th, 2022 11:53 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Robtard
SW was initially aimed largely at children in 1977

Old Post May 31st, 2022 01:58 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Whether or not SW is aimed primarily at kids or not is rather beside the point and ares looks like a butthead for getting caught up in arguing that irrelevant tangent. For the record I would say Star Wars' primary audience was probably kids, particularly the preteen/early teen demographic.

But being aimed at kids is no excuse for being bad. Plenty of things aimed primarily at kids are actually quite good, and we should demand more of art aimed at people in their formative years than this show. Avatar the Last Airbender, most Pixar films, and the DCAU are all examples of primarily kid-aimed works that stand the test of time and hold up as excellent works of entertainment that people of all ages can enjoy.

Does this show? Not at all based on the first episode but we'll see. ares brought up the chase scene and for good reason, it was laughable in its execution as these adult actors are obviously trying their best not to immediately just grab this little girl. You can literally see them trying to "run" as slow as possible so they don't immediately catch up to her lol. Chase scenes in these shows have all been terrible, like the car chase scene in the Boba Fett show.

Old Post May 31st, 2022 02:51 AM
Psychotron

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Kids were tougher back then. When I was growing up, I watched stuff like Terminator and Predator.

Old Post May 31st, 2022 03:09 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by NemeBro
But being aimed at kids is no excuse for being bad. Plenty of things aimed primarily at kids are actually quite good, and we should demand more of art aimed at people in their formative years than this show. Avatar the Last Airbender, most Pixar films, and the DCAU are all examples of primarily kid-aimed works that stand the test of time and hold up as excellent works of entertainment that people of all ages can enjoy.

Which is exactly what I was arguing. That's the distinction between a family film and a kid's film.

Old Post May 31st, 2022 05:37 AM