KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Cap's shield vs adamantium shield

Which is more durable?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Pure Adamantium Shield 2 28.57%
Cap's Shield 5 71.43%
Total: 7 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cap's shield vs adamantium shield
Started by: h1a8

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
h1a8

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stoic
Be that as it may, back in those days power on Galactus' level wouldn't have destroyed that shield, and Galactus has nearly always been portrayed to be superior to Sky Fathers. My stance remains that the shield has been vulnerable to magical attacks, or magical characters. Non magical attacks that dismantled it came by way of molecular manipulation, or powers that ranged well beyond low to mid Cosmic characters on Galactus' level.
Prove it. Give feats for the shield Pre secret wars.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 07:02 AM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Be that as it may, back in those days power on Galactus' level wouldn't have destroyed that shield, and Galactus has nearly always been portrayed to be superior to Sky Fathers. My stance remains that the shield has been vulnerable to magical attacks, or magical characters. Non magical attacks that dismantled it came by way of molecular manipulation, or powers that ranged well beyond low to mid Cosmic characters on Galactus' level.
I was simply responding to this post of yours:
Owen's control over matter has always been well above cosmic characters like Galactus. His ability to manipulate matter is nearly as effective over matter as magic is, if not on par. Unless of course you believe that a Sky Father level power like the Serpent is on par with a guy that was capable of doing battle with the Beyonder at his most powerful?
Again, just pointing out that when Owen disassembled the shield, he was not transacting Beyonder-esque levels of power(not even remotely close). Back then, it would be a stretch to say that he was even depicted at Skyfather-level consistently, in terms of actualized power... More times than not, Owen was actually quite pathetic(despite his massive potential), due to his self-imposed mental blocks.

It wasn't until Doom removed Owen's mental blocks a few years after the shield feat, that we saw the truth depths of his power.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 01:04 PM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 12:47 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Still, his power over inanimate matter... or at least specifically over simple objects with no advanced internal mechanisms (like Tony's suit), seemed absolute.

I mean, you can't find more indestructible items than Surfer's board, Mjolnir and Cap's shield.

And Owen was most impressed with the shield, confirming it as the top dog.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 01:05 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That was Owen's best feat up to that point, for sure.

Still nothing that should be beyond the ability of a Skyfather-ish matter manipulator, though... Unless I'm missing something?

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 01:39 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

If you want to be technical about it (and "technical" is your second name)...

Both FI Cul and Standoff Thor only succeeded in damaging the shield (and Thor fixed the dent later, but still).

Owen completely obliterated and recreated it from nothing.

Yes, it's way beyond anything the pussy skyfather tier has to offer.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 01:56 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Different abilities, though.

KT hit the shield with his hammer to physically dent it. Cul used rune magic to physically rip it apart. Owen used matter manipulation to disassemble it.

I am curious, though: are there any instances of the shield being able to resist explicit matter manipulation? If so, what were the level of the beings who tried, and failed? Because all jokes aside, I've always been curious what would stop any decently competent matter manipulator from doing what Owen did to the shield. /shrug

Also, is KT using a casual eye-beam to blow a hole through the shield considered canon?:
https://ibb.co/X2Vq7MD
Never been exactly sure where The Reigning fits into continuity.

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 02:44 PM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 02:36 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Earth-3515:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-3515

Only the likes of Rage considered it canon... and he's quite dead, his corpse being fucked by Somalians.

Yes, KT hit it with his hammer, but I feel confident saying only the Odinforce allowed him to put a dent in the shield --- goes nicely with him fixing it... we only see him using the hammer, but he does mention it's only possible because of the power of Odin.

Shield sometimes no-sells Magneto's powers, other times it gets controlled by Lensherr much like every other metal.

Myron MacLain was unable to separate a single molecule for analysis.

Other than that, I don't remember it facing matter manip, no.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 02:53 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Earth-3515:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-3515

Only the likes of Rage considered it canon... and he's quite dead, his corpse being fucked by Somalians.

Yes, KT hit it with his hammer, but I feel confident saying only the Odinforce allowed him to put a dent in the shield --- goes nicely with him fixing it... we only see him using the hammer, but he does mention it's only possible because of the power of Odin.

Shield sometimes no-sells Magneto's powers, other times it gets controlled by Lensherr much like every other metal.

Myron MacLain was unable to separate a single molecule for analysis.

Other than that, I don't remember it facing matter manip, no.
Ah yep. That link made me remember that The Reigning storyline is officially listed as an alternate universe in the OHOTMU as well:
https://ibb.co/nLGyYrX
https://ibb.co/phC4DKK
thumb up

Oh I have no doubt that KT was channeling the Odinforce on some level when he dented(and later repaired) the shield. Makes sense, as we know the shield's durability fails against Skyfather-level power.

That's what I thought, as I'd never seen an instance of the shield resisting explicit matter manipulation.

So this goes back to what I was saying about Owen's power: him using matter manipulation to disassemble the shield, while impressive in its own right, doesn't really seem to slingshot him above the Skyfather tier, imo. Jokes aside, I see no reason why a guy like Firestorm, for example, couldn't do the same basic thing to the shield(like transmute it into an inert gas or somesuch)..?

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 03:05 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

(please log in to view the image)

We see the same yellow bs energy when Thor hits the shield.

So yeah, hammer imbued with the Odinforce can do what the standard hammer can't.

Remember what happened to Stormbreaker?

Originally posted by Galan007

Oh I have no doubt that KT was channeling the Odinforce on some level when he dented(and later repaired) the shield. Makes sense, as we know the shield's durability fails against Skyfather-level power.

thumb up

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 03:05 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

So this goes back to what I was saying about Owen's power: him using matter manipulation to disassemble the shield, while impressive in its own right, doesn't really seem to slingshot him above the Skyfather tier, imo. Jokes aside, I see no reason why a guy like Firestorm, for example, couldn't do the same basic thing to the shield(like transmute it into an inert gas or somesuch)..?

laughing out loud

I f*cking knew it would be about Firestorm. I f*cking knew it.

Just didn't think you would mention him so soon, lol.

Yeah, I see your point. Matter manipulators are tricky - when they appear in the story, their power rarely fails. So it's hard to argue the shield would withstand Firepower's power. Safe to say most writers even ignore the uru enhancements, as the scar was visible only in the final issue of Fear Itself.

Ah yep. That link made me remember that The Reigning storyline is officially listed as an alternate universe in the OHOTMU as well:
https://ibb.co/nLGyYrX
https://ibb.co/phC4DKK
thumb up

Yes.

I might not be a fan of Superfags, but I can't say I'm not glad you DC guys helped me with my plan to eradicate the thorbags.

We are finally free from the decades of their lies.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 03:25 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

laughing out loud

I f*cking knew it would be about Firestorm. I f*cking knew it.

Just didn't think you would mention him so soon, lol.

Yeah, I see your point. Matter manipulators are tricky - when they appear in the story, their power rarely fails. So it's hard to argue the shield would withstand Firepower's power. Safe to say most writers even ignore the uru enhancements, as the scar was visible only in the final issue of Fear Itself.
laughing out loud You should know by now that I will always work FS into a discussion whenever possible... Always. big grin

Yeah, that's all I was really getting at. If the shield doesn't have some sort of defined, passive resistance to direct matter manipulation, then it's hard to say what 'level' of power would be required to disassemble it like that -- but most matter manipulators with decent competency *should* be capable of doing the same thing.

Surfer, for example, should also be able to do it... But in a comic, he'd just spam generic 'cosmic blasts', which the shield would soak.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 05:56 PM
qwertyuiop1998
The Vampire

Yes.

I might not be a fan of Superfags, but I can't say I'm not glad you DC guys helped me with my plan to eradicate the thorbags.

We are finally free from the decades of their lies.

Hmmm, Im genuinely curious. This forum seemingly really hates Surfer and Thor. What did their fans do to put them in their position today?

Some links/quotes can be helpful

Last edited by qwertyuiop1998 on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 06:10 PM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 06:07 PM
qwertyuiop1998 is currently offline Click here to Send qwertyuiop1998 a Private Message Find more posts by qwertyuiop1998 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Captain America’s shield 🛡 is weighted to senses so it could block speed assaults. When wielding it has perceptive that respondes so that anything alive is stopped.

Attachment: e04edc6f-398c-405f-adc5-54431f2b4433.jpeg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 06:13 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

laughing out loud You should know by now that I will always work FS into a discussion whenever possible... Always. big grin

Yeah, that's all I was really getting at. If the shield doesn't have some sort of defined, passive resistance to direct matter manipulation, then it's hard to say what 'level' of power would be required to disassemble it like that -- but most matter manipulators with decent competency *should* be capable of doing the same thing.

Surfer, for example, should also be able to do it... But in a comic, he'd just spam generic 'cosmic blasts', which the shield would soak.

stick out tongue

It's worth noting that Surfer commented that Owen's power - even pre-unlock - was limitless and very much superior to his.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 06:56 PM
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Well the shields 🛡 interaction is honed so that an honest throw can hit its mark. That’s what Captain America needs to teach to Hawkeye to give Hawkeye his performance 🎭 dream.

Attachment: 9af121bf-3b65-41f9-a44f-ae563b915433.jpeg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 07:41 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

stick out tongue

It's worth noting that Surfer commented that Owen's power - even pre-unlock - was limitless and very much superior to his.
Yes indeed. Owen's always had massive potential. Even in his very first appearance in 1963, Uatu stated that Owen had the power to wipe out universes:
https://ibb.co/xgDVtCX

That's why I keep referring back to potential power vs. actualized power... Because Owen's actualized power at any given time is completely dependent on his mental state.

Back when the mental blocks were in place, Owen was typically treated as a c-list dipshit, who the F4 could handle with mid-diff(his insane potential notwithstanding.) After Doom removed his mental blocks, however, Owen could finally access the depths of his potential, and became a multiversal powerhouse(second only to the Beyonder himself.)

IOW, Owen's raw potential doesn't change. His ability to access said potential is what fluctuates.

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 10:08 PM

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 10:03 PM
DarkSaint85

Mental block Owen should be valid for a meta tier BZ

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 10:07 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magnificent M

Pretty sure Sersi transmuted the shield during the Galactic Storm story line.
Captain America #399.
At least the implication is there, as it isn't seen again until after she changes the Avengers back.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2021 02:07 PM
Magnificent M is currently offline Find more posts by Magnificent M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote