KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Cap's shield vs adamantium shield

Which is more durable?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Pure Adamantium Shield 2 28.57%
Cap's Shield 5 71.43%
Total: 7 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cap's shield vs adamantium shield
Started by: h1a8

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stoic
Avenger

Kulan Gath infused with Shuma Gorrath's power (magical power) just took a bite out of the shield.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2021 05:17 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stoic
While reading the OP my very first thought on the subject was that America's Shield would win hands down. However, the comments that followed has left me wondering.

The shield had been weakened over time. Evidence suggests that it's damage threshold was well above Galactus' power output during the first Secret Wars, as it was damaged by the Beyonder but not fully destroyed. It is later dismantled by a strike from Thanos wielding the Infinity Gauntlet, which showed us it's full limit.

Later, the Serpent does the same thing, but he assaults it with magic. Because of the type of assault that he used against it, things become a bit murky. The shield was at that time weak against magic, however that doesn't mean that it was weak against non magical forces.

I do not believe that Galactus could destroy, or even damage the shield as it was written pre Secret Wars. Thor later rumples it, but again, King Thor was a magical being.

Since Adamantium should be vulnerable to the same forces that America's Shield was before the final upgrade, I'd vote that the shield would on average surpass the strength of Adamantium, but it wouldn't be by a lot.
molecule man casually made it fall apart around the time of secret wars, back when Tigra was an avenger. Whatever happened to Tigra?

Old Post Sep 15th, 2021 10:08 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Molecule Man also regarded the shield as having the weirdest molecules of all Avengers' weapons.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2021 11:27 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
molecule man casually made it fall apart around the time of secret wars, back when Tigra was an avenger. Whatever happened to Tigra?

Owen's control over matter has always been well above cosmic characters like Galactus. His ability to manipulate matter is nearly as effective over matter as magic is, if not on par. Unless of course you believe that a Sky Father level power like the Serpent is on par with a guy that was capable of doing battle with the Beyonder at his most powerful?

As I mentioned, Kulan Gath just bit a chunk out of the shield during the latest issue of the Savage Avengers, which descrbed him to be omnipotent but not omniscient. Kulan Gath is a magical being.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2021 03:34 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

The shield 🛡 can spin like a exorcist possession to fight evil.

Attachment: c123898b-074e-4479-9da5-2c368c6ba90b.jpeg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Sep 15th, 2021 04:58 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Owen's control over matter has always been well above cosmic characters like Galactus. His ability to manipulate matter is nearly as effective over matter as magic is, if not on par. Unless of course you believe that a Sky Father level power like the Serpent is on par with a guy that was capable of doing battle with the Beyonder at his most powerful?

As I mentioned, Kulan Gath just bit a chunk out of the shield during the latest issue of the Savage Avengers, which descrbed him to be omnipotent but not omniscient. Kulan Gath is a magical being.

Yeah no shame in the shield failing against the likes of Owen, Beyonder-power or IG users.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2021 07:52 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Lmao I suddenly wondered about what the shield's PAINT was made of.

It's just normal titanium nitride. Considering some of the attacks it has gone through....

Also, how does it bounce? If it has vibranium in it which absorbs KE (so Cap doesn't get turned into paste), why does it suddenly bounce with perfect conservation of energy?

Also, did you guys know Vibranium isn't considered an element in Marvel?

Fun fact, the paint was completely removed in one issue.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 08:43 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO TIGRA!

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 09:35 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

She's been khanned.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 09:39 PM
DarkSaint85

Tigra will appear in the next Moon Knight issue iirc.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 09:41 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Tigra will appear in the next Moon Knight issue iirc.

Pretty sure Whirly just wants Hood and Jigsaw to rape her and record it again sad

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 09:46 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

For some paintless shield action, check out issue 304, by the way.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 09:49 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

To be fair, Owen deconstructed the shield in Avengers #215 (1982):
https://ibb.co/2Z9FfSz
*At the time, Owen's abilities were [extremely] limited by his own self-imposed, subconscious limitations.

A few years later, during Secret Wars #11 (1985), Doom would remove Owen's mental blocks, which allowed him to utilize the full breadth of his power:
https://ibb.co/Hqb6MLg

Point being, Owen wasn't yet at his SWII/Beyonder-contending levels when he mucked with the shield... And lip-service aside, I don't recall Owen preforming any feats that were above the Skyfather tier before Doom unlocked him.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 10:05 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

The power has always been inside him, even if he didn't fully realize it.

Fun fact, Gambit has the same self-imposed limits regarding the organic matter. But unlike with Owen, unlocking his potential was only temporary.

Better question... was Owen the one who misplaced that one molecule of Cap's shield when recreating it, which many years later caused the vibranium cancer story arc? Or we don't really know?

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 10:14 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
The power has always been inside him, even if he didn't fully realize it.
Indeed the power itself was always there, but it wasn't always fully accessible to Owen due to his own self-imposed mental limitations. My point was only that the Owen who deconstructed the shield was orders of magnitude weaker than he became after Doom removed the blocks -- IOW, SWII Owen >>>>>>>>>> Avengers #215 Owen. That's a factoid that I don't think Stoic took into consideration in his post.

We don't really know what level pre-SW-unlock Owen was operating at, but I don't recall him doing anything above the Skyfather tier until after Doom jailbroke him.

Fun fact, Gambit has the same self-imposed limits regarding the organic matter. But unlike with Owen, unlocking his potential was only temporary.
Owen's fragile mental state has always been an issue for him -- even after Doom's unlock:
https://ibb.co/3km08Nh

Better question... was Owen the one who misplaced that one molecule of Cap's shield when recreating it, which many years later caused the vibranium cancer story arc? Or we don't really know?
Steve himself inadvertently caused the cancer in his shield:
https://ibb.co/k45gVkn

It was a callback to when he wished his shield back together at the end of the original SW:
https://ibb.co/Yf7YMzZ
https://ibb.co/b64xpwq

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 11:06 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordGod
The One

Originally posted by Galan007
[B]We don't really know what level pre-SW-unlock Owen was operating at, but I don't recall him doing anything above the Skyfather tier until after Doom jailbroke him./B]
He recreated all the stars in a galaxy. Thats well above Skyfather tier.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2021 11:48 PM
LordGod is currently offline Click here to Send LordGod a Private Message Find more posts by LordGod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Owen preformed that feat in SW #12:
https://ibb.co/gTJjC8B
...So after Doom removed his mental blocks.

As mentioned: lip-service aside, I am fairly certain that Owen never preformed any feats above the Skyfather tier prior to Doom's unlock in SW #11. He has always been touted to have massive potential ever since his first appearance in 1963, but potential power =/= actualized power... Especially when we're talking about a guy whose actualized power at any given time is fully dependent on his mental state.

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 27th, 2021 at 12:24 PM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2021 12:14 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Those mental blocks were only in play when dealing with organic life forms. That excludes his control over the molecules that compose the shield. Or, am I missing something?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2021 03:36 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Owen's mental blocks inhibited his power across the board.

Prior to the unlock, Owen didn't realize that he could manipulate organic molecules... Or recreate/reignite all the stars in a galaxy... Or repair multiversal damage... Or unleash blasts that could destroy billions of dimensions. Etc.

The unlock essentially took Owen from a second-rate goon that the F4 could handle, to a being who could rival Beyonder.

As mentioned above: Owen's actualized power at any given time has always been fully dependent on his mental state.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2021 12:28 PM
Stoic
Avenger

Be that as it may, back in those days power on Galactus' level wouldn't have destroyed that shield, and Galactus has nearly always been portrayed to be superior to Sky Fathers. My stance remains that the shield has been vulnerable to magical attacks, or magical characters. Non magical attacks that dismantled it came by way of molecular manipulation, or powers that ranged well beyond low to mid Cosmic characters on Galactus' level.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2021 05:41 PM