KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » An Oscar Performance?

An Oscar Performance?
Started by: GangusGrievous

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Korri

ok kes who else do u think would make a good neo?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:18 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

John Goodman?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:23 PM
GangusGrievous is currently offline Click here to Send GangusGrievous a Private Message Find more posts by GangusGrievous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

Llaughing out loudL nah the film wudnt be the same without keanu

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:27 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

I dont know. But i think I would have liked the movie with some other actor playing Neo. He is not want makes the movie good. Did you know will smith was supposed to do it?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:31 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

u know, we would probly be having the same convo if Will Smith was Neo and we were talking about Keanu maybe being Neo. It is a good point.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:33 PM
GangusGrievous is currently offline Click here to Send GangusGrievous a Private Message Find more posts by GangusGrievous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

yehsmile

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:39 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

keanu rocks love

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:41 PM
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

Yes. Becus of his overall backround, I would say this is the first movie that caught my eye of him. I thought he was a mexican in Speed and an idiot in Bill and Ted. If you told me he was going to be a Superhero in 1995, I would think u were Bullsh%^&ing me. On the other hand, if it was Will Smith, I wouldnt be surprised becus he did fight the Aliens of the Universe in MIB.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:44 PM
Kes
Philie

quote:
Originally posted by AliasNeo15
Yes. Becus of his overall backround, I would say this is the first movie that caught my eye of him. I thought he was a mexican in Speed and an idiot in Bill and Ted.

lol A mexican?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:47 PM
Korri

yeah so it did him justice big grin i luv the guy now

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 04:47 PM
Bad_Hair_Day

who knew of him be4 the Matrix anyway, i think only minor things or maaaybe special effects or music

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 05:53 PM
Bad_Hair_Day is currently offline Click here to Send Bad_Hair_Day a Private Message Find more posts by Bad_Hair_Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

I did!Very well!stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 05:55 PM
Moosh

Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving are easily the best actors in the films, but that isn't saying much. Some of Fishburne's parts in Reloaded were awful though (HIS SPEECH ACK). Weaving is even better now he is a bit more human.

As for Keanu; he tries his best, but...

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 09:38 PM
Moosh is currently offline Click here to Send Moosh a Private Message Find more posts by Moosh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

wut the Fu&^ does that mean!!!

LOL laughing out loud
JK smile

Old Post Jul 7th, 2003 10:07 PM
nickjs21

it means keanu reeves is a god-awful actor. to say otherwise is nonsense. "Think of another movie coming out this year for the Oscars that has a better actor then what Keanu did in Reloaded." WHAT? anything! my dog could act better than keanu reeves. you can't be serious when you say he's versatile, either. go back and watch every single movie he's ever been in . . . SAME f*cking character. same facial expressions, same voice. and whoever pointed out that he did a great job acting "dry" for his role as neo, you fail to notice that he's dry for every role he's ever done in his life. save for maybe in bill and ted. but do you know why he seemed so natural in that movie? because that's just how he really is! he dropped out of acting school, so what do you expect?

i saw carrie-ann moss in memento. it was a pretty good flick. she acted better in that one than she did in the matrix, but she's still not that great. weaving and fishburne are pretty accomplished actors, and probably the finest on the cast (although i agree with the comment on that zion speech).

the matrix isn't gonna get snubbed because the academy is biased against action flicks. it's gonna get snubbed because it won't deserve to win anything other than the minor stuff like visual effects. did you walk out of m1 going, "wow, what an amazing screenplay," or did you walk out saying, "those special effects kicked ass!" the academy doesn't award the latter so much as the former.

and the academy doesn't suck just because the matrix won't win. to say that is nothing short of stubborn ignorance. the academy just holds higher standards and, yes, prefers more "arty" flicks that pull the heartstrings. but every best picture movie i've seen deserved it (save for shakespeare in love over saving private ryan). and, btw, gladiator won best picture -- and obviously that is an action movie.

listen, i love the matrix. it blew me away. but it won't win. and keanu did not do a good acting job. those are just facts.

"what we obtain too easily, we esteem too lightly." -- Thomas Paine

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 05:02 AM
nickjs21 is currently offline Click here to Send nickjs21 a Private Message Find more posts by nickjs21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

Oh okay.......he has no acting chops whatsoever.......I take it you don't watch many movies then.........

The Devil's Advocate.........Keanu Reeves plays a Georgia lawyer put into the big city of New York.........

Point Break.........Keanu plays a California surfer guy type character....except he's a cop, kind of like Don Johnson's role in Miami Vice....except with a little more youth.

The Gift.........Keanu plays a wife beating redneck who looks and sounds as if he was born and imbred in the mountains of Virginia......think Brad Pitt in the movie Kalifornia if you havn't seen Keanu's perfromance in The Gift.

Parenthood/Bill and Ted movies.......Keanu plays basically the same character as both Todd and Ted,......teenage slacker who wants nothing more than to have a good time......not too bright surfer/skateboarder types (even though he does neither in either movie....just using that as a stereotype of the personality of the character).

Sweet November and A Walk in the Clouds...........both chick movies.....plays basically the same dramatic "I love you" type romantic characters........makes me puke.

those are just a few examples............yeah, all those characters are pretty similar alright < /sarcasm >

If you can honestly say that if Keanu Reeves had played the Neo character like he played the Ted Logan character, The Matrix would have been the same movie.......you are out of your mind. Or if he played the same role in "The Replacements" as he did in "The Devil's Advocate" that the movie would have been the same.........you are nuts.

You don't like Keanu Reeves.........fine.......your perogotive.......I cannot fathom why you bash his acting skills though just because you don't like him.........he made $80million + for his role in Reloaded and Revolutions......he must be doing something right........when is the last time you made $80 to do an acting job, much less $80 million. I don't like Kevin Spacey........but he can act.....I don't like Garth Brooks music but I'm not assinine enough to say he can't sing well.......he must be able to sing pretty damn well to have made all the money he has at it.......just because those performers aren't my cup of tea doesn't take away from their abilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Oscars usually do pick great movies to win picture of the year........they do however shun great roles just because they don't like the movies. Look at Jim Carey's role as Andy Kaufman in "man on the moon"........Oscar worthy performance.......great acting job......nailed Kaufman dead on.........was he even nominated? Hell no........not because his acting performance wasn't great, because Jim Carey is a comedian who has also played in movies like Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura. Oscars should be about individual performances........not careers. Actors should not be omitted from nominations simply because they have played lesser roles in the past. If Keanu Reeves had played Kevin Spacey's role in "American Beauty" he would not have been nominated...........simply because he had played Ted Logan in the Bill and Ted movies.

By the way........Gladiator was not an action flick......it was a drama. It was the story of one man's tribulations in overcoming all odds to avenge the deaths of his wife and children. Now T2:Judgement Day, that is an action film.......

and Gladiator did deserve to win the Oscar.........it was a great movie.......I can't stand Russel Crowe, he's a pompus ass, but that movie was great and he acted his ass off in it.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 05:31 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

yea and neo is alot like his role in bill and ted...cough cough

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 05:53 AM
Stovenutts is currently offline Click here to Send Stovenutts a Private Message Find more posts by Stovenutts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

he is not a gawd-awful actor sad

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 01:30 PM
Kes
Philie

Originally posted by Evil Dead

The Oscars usually do pick great movies to win picture of the year........they do however shun great roles just because they don't like the movies. Look at Jim Carey's role as Andy Kaufman in "man on the moon"........Oscar worthy performance.......great acting job......nailed Kaufman dead on.........was he even nominated? Hell no........not because his acting performance wasn't great, because Jim Carey is a comedian who has also played in movies like Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura. Oscars should be about individual performances........not careers. Actors should not be omitted from nominations simply because they have played lesser roles in the past. If Keanu Reeves had played Kevin Spacey's role in "American Beauty" he would not have been nominated...........simply because he had played Ted Logan in the Bill and Ted movies.

I dont agree. Lots of good performance have gone unnoticed. I dont think it has anything to do with the actors previous work.
Every actor has crappy movies in his/hers carreer.I mean Tom Hanks is a comedian.
Yes sometimes the academie does give out bad oscares like any oscar Shakespear (sp) in love won.messed

By the way........Gladiator was not an action flick......it was a drama. It was the story of one man's tribulations in overcoming all odds to avenge the deaths of his wife and children... and Gladiator did deserve to win the Oscar.........it was a great movie.......I can't stand Russel Crowe, he's a pompus ass, but that movie was great and he acted his ass off in it.

Gladiators core story is a drama but it has lots of action. Just look at the biginnig.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 01:46 PM
Kes
Philie

quote:
Originally posted by nickjs21
the matrix isn't gonna get snubbed because the academy is biased against action flicks. it's gonna get snubbed because it won't deserve to win anything other than the minor stuff like visual effects. did you walk out of m1 going, "wow, what an amazing screenplay," or did you walk out saying, "those special effects kicked ass!" the academy doesn't award the latter so much as the former.

I think the Matrix has a great script. Very new (at the time) with lots of links to several different things (like religion and stuff) and a new idea. But the action did make the movie great. And not the script.
The problem is lots of ppl didn't understand it. Maybe the juries were some of does stick out tongue

Also think what movies were around that year. (i dont remember thou messed )

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 01:57 PM