KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Understanding Exar Kun's spirit.

Understanding Exar Kun's spirit.
Started by: AncientPower

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Understanding Exar Kun's spirit.

So given that people are making threads like these on a whim, I thought I'd do the same, in an attempt to make clear what Exar Kun's status really was by this point.

Many people dismiss Exar Kun's feats in Jedi Academy as being amped by Yavin IV, whilst Kun's spirit does utilise the focusing points of the temples on Yavin IV, this merely sustains his will over four millennia:

quote:
Exar Kun-who didn't technically die so much as merge with the dark side and retain his identity-resisted the dissolution of his spirit by drawing on the remarkable focusing energies of the Massassi temples on Yavin 4.

Source: The Dark Side Sourcebook

Exar Kun instead subsides off of the residual energy of the students of Luke's Jedi Praxeum, allowing him to remain a presence:

quote:
For a time, he is able to subside by feeding on their residual energy, but soon he will need worshippers if he is to grow more active.
-Jedi Academy Sourcebook

Exar Kun eventually corrupts Gantoris, Streen and Kyp Durron; but even their Force reserves cannot afford Exar Kun his full powers:

quote:
Exar Kun himself possessed a great many other dark powers that he was unable to harness without the energy he needed to fuel his disembodied will. Some of these powers he was able to channel through Kyp, Gantoris, and Streen to achieve his ends.
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook

This is interesting given that the Jedi Academy trilogy has stated that if Kyp Durron was corrupted to the dark side, his powers would rival Darth Vader's:

quote:
If Kyp had fallen to the dark side, he could become another Darth Vader. Perhaps even worse…
- Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice_

Exar Kun's plan infact is to resurrect himself by draining power from Luke Skywalker and all of his students:

quote:
With a nucleus of followers to provide him energy-providing anger and fear, Kun will have enough power to escape his exile and take on human form.
-Jedi Academy Sourcebook

quote:
Exar Kun corrupted Luke’s most powerful student, Kyp Durron, and attempted to resurrect himself by draining power from Luke and the other trainees.
-Jedi VS Sith The Essential Guide to the Force

This resurrection would entail regaining his long lost reserves of energy from before his 'death' and regaining physical form:

quote:
Eagerly but cautiously, Kun observes each arrival, probing for weaknesses and the power he needs to restore his lost reserves of energy.
-Jedi Academy Sourcebook

Clearly sources have established that Exar Kun had never reached parity with his physical prime, for if he had regained that power via any means, he would have taken physical form.

So Exar Kun in his living prime is clearly fully capable of replicating all of the powers he displayed in Jedi Academy, but with even greater magnitude.

These feats include dominating Master Luke Skywalker with Force lightning; Force choking the melded Jedi Streen, Brakiss, Dorsk 81, Cilghal, Tionne, Kam, Jaina, Jacen and Kirani Ti; Summoning vortexes capable of launching multiple Jedi thousands of feet into the air; Telekinetically manipulating the circuitry of the Suncrusher whilst it was stuck inside the core of the sun Yavin Prime; Mentally manipulating Kyp Durron from across the galaxy; and senses capable of becoming one with an entire solar system.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2016 06:30 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Good work.

Exar Kun is truly formidable.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2016 06:52 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Despite my love of PT/OT wank I still respect characters like Valk and I even put Exar Kun as one of the most powerful Sith.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2016 07:03 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I was going to respond to this when it was initially posted, but was pressed for time.

However, AP seems inclined to construe this as some kind of game changer, which it really isn't, and has asked me to share my thoughts. So I'll oblige. smile

Note that most of this is essentially recycled arguments from SWTOR that AP has conceded to me in the past. First off regarding this quote from the JA sourcebook:
quote:
Exar Kun himself possessed a great many other dark powers that he was unable to harness without the energy he needed to fuel his disembodied will. Some of these powers he was able to channel through Kyp, Gantoris, and Streen to achieve his ends.
To paraphrase myself this statement is in a word, non-descript. Kun prior to this event absorbed the Force power of thousands of Massassi to empower his spirit, that may very well have significantly increased his capacity to wield the Force, as Nathema did to Vitiate.

Kun was also capable of many powers that went beyond his natural capabilities by way of amulets, ritual apparatus, Sith temples etc. and in his spirit state, was completely unshackled from mortal limitations, in particular having a logically infinite capacity to store Force energy.

Altogether it is neither implicit that these are powers he'd be, without any kind of aid, naturally capable of in life, nor can we assume these powers would be realised through that natural capacity when, for stated reasons, Kun is capable of going beyond his natural ability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Next let's address the claim that Kun needed "all" Luke's students to resurrect himself, an assertion that appears to be based on the following statements:
quote:
With a nucleus of followers to provide him energy-providing anger and fear, Kun will have enough power to escape his exile and take on human form.
quote:
Exar Kun corrupted Luke's most powerful student, Kyp Durron, and attempted to resurrect himself by draining power from Luke and the other trainees.
Except it's nowhere actually stated here that Kun needed all of them, merely that his resurrection involved Luke and his students, instead it's elsewhere remarked that:
quote:
Taken from Jedi Academy Sourcebook

A few scant years later, Kun is brought sharply awake by the arrival of not one or two, but a dozen humans blazing with the power he needed to live again.
Implying that rather than all 12, any one of them would be sufficient to restore his lost power, it merely being a matter of finding a sufficiently pliable host.

Finally, the assertion that "if he had regained that power via any means, he would have taken physical form", I'm afraid that that is an assumption, not a logical deduction.

What Kun wanted to do was essentially create a dark side avatar, a body, fashioned from the Force, in which to house his spirit. Logically speaking the creation of such a thing would require a considerable amount of power in and of itself, and we've no basis to assume that would entail more power than he ever had when he was alive.

And without physical form, Kun has no means of maintaining pre-existing strength indefinitely, hence achieving that state would be intrinsic to permanently recovering his lost reserves.

Altogether I'm failing to see a valid premise for taking the feats Kun accomplished with aid, at face value as is being suggested. Instead let's review the circumstances of said feats.

First of all, when he put Luke Skywalker in a coma, where we should note the following:
quote:
Taken from Jedi Academy Sourcebook

Over a number of weeks, Kun slowly bends Kyp to his will, and begins to augment his power. He grows very powerful on Kyp's hate, and soon his hold on Kyp is so complete that he can send Kyp beyond the planet to do his will and still retain control over his subject. Ultimately, he has Kyp return to Yavin Four and helps him reclaim the Sun Crusher. He also bolsters Kyp's talents to allow him to defeat Luke and place him in a coma.
So when Exar Kun (and Kyp) recovered the Sun Crusher, and attacked Luke he was, at that point, "very powerful", while simultaneously augmenting Kyp's already profound ability that as AP points out, had the potential to rival Vader's if he turned to the dark side, which he did.

And it's only through their combined strength, by tag-teaming Luke, that he's defeated:
quote:
Taken from Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice

Kyp stretched out both hands and blasted Luke with lightning bolts like black cracks in the Force. Dark tendrils rose up from the gaps in the temple flagstones, fanged, illusionary vipers that struck at him from all sides. Luke cried out and tried to strike back, but the shadows of Exar Kun joined the attack, adding more deadly force. The ancient Dark Lord of the Sith lashed out with waves of blackness, driving long icicles of frozen poison into Luke's body [...]

[...] Against the full might of Kyp Durron and the forbidden weapons of the long-dead spirit of Exar Kun, even a Jedi Master such as Luke Skywalker could not prevail.
Noting that Kyp's unlocked dark side strength, seemingly without Kun's initial aid, is itself capable of generating powerful lightning and dark side tendrils. And that this is the same "full might" that could toss freighters, manipulate black holes and is supposedly Vader tier.

Which brings me onto another claim AP makes, namely that the Yavin 4 temples merely sustained his will rather than being sufficient to empower him. And while this is a reasonable assumption, it was not the case for the individuals that Kun channeled his powers through, Kyp for example taps into it:
quote:

He reached out with his mind, following the paths of the Force that led to every object in the universe, drawing power from the cosmic focal point of the Massassi temple.
Noting of course that Luke confronts Kyp immediately after in this same spot.
quote:

The Sun Crusher hung suspended over the temple, still steaming in the morning air, resurrected from its tomb at the core of the gas giant. Kyp Durron spun around to stare at Luke, his black cape swirling with the rapid motion.
A cosmic focal that Kyp knew how to tap into, not great odds for Skywalker.

Now for the Streen showing, which it should also be noted, was also performed within this cosmic focal point:
quote:
Taken from Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force

Leia suddenly knew what Streen intended to do to them, whether consciously or unconsciously. They would be sucked out of the Great Temple, tossed high into the sky, and then allowed to crash thousands of feet to the spear-pointed branches of the jungle canopy.
Now we can't say with certainty that Streen, like Kyp, was drawing on the temple for strength, but it's certainly a possibility.

More importantly however is the fact that Streen has an innate talent with Alter Environment, capable of for example, countering Exar Kun's Force choke, buffeting a massive Leviathan with a wind storm, and repelling plumes of lava. Evidently if that kind of talent is augmented by a powerful Force user like Kun, the results will be tremendous, but that doesn't mean that Kun, who lacks that innate talent, would be able to achieve that feat without that level of genius.

Finally, in regards to the one notable showing he accomplished without aid, namely Force choking, what has come to my attention to be not just some of Luke's students, but all twelve, while they were employing a Jedi meld.

Now considering that with the powers of the entire Jedi Academy combined where able to Force push seventeen Star Destroyers out of the system, I think it stands to reason that if this feat is interpreted as AP and others have suggested, that it proves, again as AP and others have suggested, that Exar Kun can telekinetically dominate beings in excess of Galen Marek.

And of course we are supposed to interpret this as a low ending showing. erm

Forgive me for being skeptical, when in life Kun was incapable of overpowering a pre-prime Ulic-Qel Droma. Yes, it's been raised that this was before Kun's own prime, but only by a year, and by which point Exar Kun was already fully seated in the dark side. And surely if we consider that Spirit Kun was supposed to be weakened, it really doesn't matter.

The logical explanation of course being that this is an outlier. yes

Is this a reasonable assertion to make? Yes. Exar Kun as a spirit, is completely unbound from the mortal coil, there is therefore, in brief, no limitation to his ability to channel the Force at any given time. Given that, an explosive burst like this seemingly well beyond what he's been shown to be capable of accomplishing in life, as a last ditch attempt that left him seemingly utterly depleted (seeing as he's overpowered and sealed away immediately after), isn't necessarily outside of reason.

And that ends my assessment, your welcome, AP. smile

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 07:29 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good job both of you, now I'm pretty convinced Kun can challenge Savage in a saber combat and will resist Vader's TK for a while

Not sure about more

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:09 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

An marijuana timing smile

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:10 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Btw Palpatine was able to retain his identity through sheer force of will, without the aid of a nexus. thumb up

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:28 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Can't really afford to go biblical with my responses these days,

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:32 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by JKBart
Good job both of you, now I'm pretty convinced Kun can challenge Savage in a saber combat and will resist Vader's TK for a while

Not sure about more
LMAO
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Btw Palpatine was able to retain his identity through sheer force of will, without the aid of a nexus. thumb up
yes

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:32 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by |King Joker|
Paraphrasing past arguments tho. smile

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:33 PM
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Paraphrasing past arguments tho. smile
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: i want u to make dmb squeal

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:35 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Beni, what do you make of the feeble touch temple suncrusher shit that has been used to argue Kun>>Spirit Kun>>>Kyp+Temple?

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 08:44 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by |King Joker|
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: i want u to make dmb squeal
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: keep your dirty fantasies out of this joker
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Beni, what do you make of the feeble touch temple suncrusher shit that has been used to argue Kun>>Spirit Kun>>>Kyp+Temple?
You mean this?

Behind him, Kyp felt the black-ice power of Exar Kun arise, tapping into him and reinforcing his abilities. His own feeble exploratory touch suddenly plunged forward like a blaster bolt. Kyp felt larger, a part of the jungle moon, then a part of the entire planetary system, until he burrowed into the heart of the gas giant itself.

I don't feel it really proves anything really. All that's being referred to here is Kyp's sensory powers, not his overall mastery over the Force. So its not as if its being stated that Kyp is altogether feeble in comparison to Kun, or even comparing him to Kun at all.

That said, Kyp's exploration into the Force is pretty feeble, and he has nothing on Kun's vast knowledge and experience, but that doesn't change the fact that Kyp wields immense raw power, which if anything Kun is here and elsewhere merely helping him to unlock.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 09:05 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

So your suggesting it's a display of mastery over power rather than raw power itself? That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 09:08 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Yes, and particularly in terms of helping Kyp achieve mastery over his own power.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 09:15 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

We can destroy Exar Kun, one AP thread at a time.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 10:11 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 10:49 PM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: keep your dirty fantasies out of this joker

That'd be more a nightmare for you, eh?

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 10:55 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Maybe. smile

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 11:26 PM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Maybe. smile

LOL your tricks won't work on me.

Ik you're a dirty hetero

Old Post Apr 20th, 2016 11:28 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote