KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » CHARACTER RULING THREAD - Suggestions

CHARACTER RULING THREAD - Suggestions
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

CHARACTER RULING THREAD - Suggestions

All right, basically, Badabing and I are working on a "Character Ruling" thread, where certain characters will be better defined under the forum rules, and as such, should be easier to debate. It will serve to destroy misconceptions about certain characters, which can only help people.

Examples of this are things like defining Hulk's "base" level, and what "Full Confidence" Gladiator means, which Badabing and I have already decided on.

So this thread is for people to submit their own ideas. If it's a good enough idea and Badabing and I like it enough, it will end up in the thread, and will set the tone for the entire forum.

So yes, we're giving you fine people the chance to influence the forum itself. So please, post (reasonable) suggestions.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 08:57 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Wally should be first on the agenda 'cause haters be hatin'.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:18 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

A note will probably be made about Flash, yes, though you should probably add more detail stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:19 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Wally should not be assumed to operate at full speed all the time and therefore basically unhittable. He should use speed as he does in MAJORITY of his showings in comics.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:21 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iceman24567

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starscream M
Wally should not be assumed to operate at full speed all the time and therefore basically unhittable. He should use speed as he does in MAJORITY of his showings in comics.
So we should treat him like a Pis written speeding retard?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:23 PM
iceman24567 is currently offline Click here to Send iceman24567 a Private Message Find more posts by iceman24567 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by Starscream M
if that's the case, "speedblitz" needs to be removed as an option from the matches entirely 'cause if we operate on your system, it's a complete double standard. You can't in one thread say "Superman blitzes" and then say "errr, no, Flash can't blitz" in another thread... you're penalizing Wally for having a higher level of speed.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:26 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by marwash22
if that's the case, "speedblitz" needs to be removed as an option from the matches entirely 'cause if we operate on your system, it's a complete double standard. You can't in one thread say "Superman blitzes" and then say "errr, no, Flash can't blitz" in another thread... you're penalizing Wally for having a higher level of speed.
I think we should come up with how we should count wins

ie, I would suggest a percentage basis

ie, if I think superman speedblitzes about 20% of the fights he's in, than I still factor in speedblitz in my overall determination. BUt I don't assume he does it 100% of the time.

I think that will actually lead to more reasonable results...ie Superman can still beat a slower herald for majority, but it won't be 10/10 SPEEDBITZ COMBO STOMP!!111

So Flash can still win majority against thor or surfer, but it won't be like 'OMG he's untouchable....SPITE!"

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:30 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Speed is most likely going to be a happy medium, ie something like: Wally won't get tagged by someone like Wolverine or Batman, but he won't be IMP'ing from the get-go either.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:36 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I think for Flash it might be prudent to specify in threads whether its 'normal' Flash or 'okay enough ****ing around, lets get serious' Flash.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:44 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

Originally posted by -Pr-
Speed is most likely going to be a happy medium, ie something like: Wally won't get tagged by someone like Wolverine or Batman, but he won't be IMP'ing from the get-go either.

so then do feats like DS tagging flash become pis? (I think they are anyways, just wondering)

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:45 PM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
so then do feats like DS tagging flash become pis? (I think they are anyways, just wondering)

That's up for debate, but without any sort of prep or foreknowledge, then no, Deathstroke probably shouldn't see Wally coming.

Regardless though, guys, no rulings are going to be made until the thread gets a fair few responses and ideas.

Even what I just said might not be final, as Badabing and I have to discuss everything.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 09:59 PM
Smurph
------

Paul, could we get some sort of example? I feel like this is going to miss the point without a little direction, as people are going to get caught up in disagreements rather than misconceptions.

But maybe that was the point and I'm misunderstanding.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:01 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Existere
Paul, could we get some sort of example? I feel like this is going to miss the point without a little direction, as people are going to get caught up in disagreements rather than misconceptions.

But maybe that was the point and I'm misunderstanding.

All right. So much for thinking people would understand, but...

The most obvious one is "base" Hulk; the assumption that the Hulk starts off at this mythical level before he can get angry enough to compete with the people he usually does.

That's not how he is, and it's going to be corrected, so that when someone states Savage Hulk, he's at the average portrayal of Savage Hulk from the get-go. Same with WWH, Grey Hulk, and everyone in between.

There's no base level he starts at before reaching said level.

These rulings are designed to add a more definite designation to characters, and to eliminate misconceptions.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:06 PM
Badabing
Karen

Flash is already in the rules. And it's very simple to follow:

Originally posted by Digi
Full Capacity
It is assumed that each contestant will fight to his/her best ability, but still within the character's personality, unless specified otherwise. That means they will use any powers at their disposal. For example, even though The Flash doesn't clock each of his own opponents in the first millisecond in his own comic, it is assumed that is a viable tactic on this board since it is a proven fact that he possesses that level of speed.
It is also assumed that the characters fight at their optimum levels of ability - not explicitly weakened or unusually powered up for those who have variable power levels.

Default forum setting bring the fight from a featureless arena. That means no collateral damage to buildings or injuries to bystanders. Not only does this let us debate the characters at full power, it takes a lot of PIS out of the matches.

Honestly, if people disagree that's too bad. We're not going to start hamstringing characters just because a few self righteous posters feel they know best. My advice is to either accept the way the rules are set or don't debate threads which conflict with your opinions of characters.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:11 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Badabing
Flash is already in the rules. And it's very simple to follow:

Default forum setting bring the fight from a featureless arena. That means no collateral damage to buildings or injuries to bystanders. Not only does this let us debate the characters at full power, it takes a lot of PIS out of the matches.

Honestly, if people disagree that's too bad. We're not going to start hamstringing characters just because a few self righteous posters feel they know best. My advice is to either accept the way the rules are set or don't debate threads which conflict with your opinions of characters.

thumb up

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:15 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

Would character prep fall under this thread?

Because Reed, Doom, Thanos, or banner or anyone like that, even with like 10 min prep, always seem to get an auto win.

I'm not sure what would be done about it but it just seems like a topic up for deciding something about.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:18 PM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I don't really have many suggestions or input aside from one, really.

It's come to my attention that certain characters, say, World War Hulk, when they are used in threads, have a great deal of feats they accomplished as a weaker incarnation, such as Savage Hulk, rendered null and void as "WWH wasn't as impressive as x feat Savage Hulk performed, therefore he's weaker" when it's clear that based on dialogue, statements from people who would know, and overall common sense that WWH - and WBH - are > stronger than your typical Hulk.

I would think that specific incarnations of characters, especially at a different power level than the norm, should still be able to access feats and abilities shown from their clearly shown/depicted to be weaker "forms" unless there's a specific reason said feat couldn't be replicated.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:28 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

Originally posted by JakeTheBank

It's come to my attention that certain characters, say, World War Hulk, when they are used in threads, have a great deal of feats they accomplished as a weaker incarnation, such as Savage Hulk, rendered null and void as "WWH wasn't as impressive as x feat Savage Hulk performed, therefore he's weaker" when it's clear that based on dialogue, statements from people who would know, and overall common sense that WWH - and WBH - are > stronger than your typical Hulk.

I would think that specific incarnations of characters, especially at a different power level than the norm, should still be able to access feats and abilities shown from their clearly shown/depicted to be weaker "forms" unless there's a specific reason said feat couldn't be replicated.
thumb up

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:29 PM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank

TBH, that's the way Bada and I actually see it as being. Maybe we'll need to further clarify it in the thread that it IS how things are done.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:29 PM
carver9

We need to make a tier thread basically showing speed... how fast a character can fight, how durable a person is, etc, etc...

That would eliminate a lot of confusion and would be a focul point on where we can guide someone with questions on how fast, strong this person is. Then some people see feats kind of different and if the majority see a certain feat in a certain fashion then it should hold credit.

This is all on where it comes down to. We need to follow the 3 time rule. Provide evidence that Glads can fight at light and if its a character without much history then 1 time should be enough.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 10:31 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote