KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Why do people like Halo that much?

Why do people like Halo that much?
Started by: LeAtHerRFace

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Most of halo's supposedly "revolutionary" a.i. was scripted events. Personally I found them to be quite stupid, as they would run for cover but leave thier head exposed to recieve sniper fire. :sigh: oh well.. each games have thier fans. Im sure this question has been more than answered in any case.

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 07:57 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Not really, the only answer I've seen for people like Halo so much is simple ignorance and inexperience when it comes to FPS games.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 08:58 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Not really, the only answer I've seen for people like Halo so much is simple ignorance and inexperience when it comes to FPS games.
Yes, ignorance and inexperience...which after 5 pages is what ultimately makes up this thread.

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 10:00 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarFace Clone
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:

I agree.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 04:22 PM
ScarFace Clone is currently offline Click here to Send ScarFace Clone a Private Message Find more posts by ScarFace Clone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The True Fear
Restricted

Account Restricted

yes

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:38 PM
The True Fear is currently offline Click here to Send The True Fear a Private Message Find more posts by The True Fear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

yes yes

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 07:15 PM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

no

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:32 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

big grin

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:32 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The whole thing about how each battle in Halo was never the same. That was also true in Half Life. Encountering the commando's, you could stay behind but get shelled by grenades and then get flanked. Or you could attack directly and they would disperse. Or if you injured one of them, he would limp to safety. The AI was great. The game was great.

Im currently playing Halo, and im having mixed feelings. The fights are good, but not great. The elite just go back and forth, wow dodging ability, SO AMAZING.

That was sarcasm if didnt notice.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 04:21 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

no really

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:17 PM
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

the only decent display of AI is near the very end of the game when you come back to the Pillar of Autumn.

There are some silver-ish looking Hunters that are pretty impressive. They dodge for cover until their shields replenish, and they have amazing accuracy with both their Plasma Rifles and Grenades.

By no means was it SPECTACULAR. But it was pretty interesting. Almost like fighting a human being. (when on Legendary)

Cutting edge? Revolutionary? ground breaking? No

Fun? Enjoyable? Definitly.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:26 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

quote:

You're the fricken ignorant one, I've quoted reviews saying it had some of the best AI ever, some of the best gameplay ever, some of the best graphics up till then of any FPS, and that's from people who've played more FPS than days that you have lived, so if that is inexperience, than we're all screwed. So what the hell are you talking about the only answer you got was ignorance. If you would if you would actually listen for once you could maybe understand, but instead you have to say you don't like and don't care what made it such a good game and nothing will change that. If you were so right about how halo wasn't that good, why is it rated so good on every site, why is it the best selling xbox game ever, why is it the most popular game to play at college all around the U.S.?
Just wondering, how many of the people in here that don't like Halo have own only ps2 or a pc and not xbox?

Last edited by cal31 on Aug 30th, 2004 at 03:31 PM

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:26 PM
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

confused i've played all the games you spoke of and Halo still rocks when i look back on it confused i've played and owned a lot of FPS since the very beginning of the genera confused console and computer alike confused Halo has this kind of aura when you sit ajnd play it that is like nothing else. nothing has ever moved as smooth ever since. I regularily play 1942 and Vietnam and UT2004 i own them confused but they move like all the others.... nothing that ensares one.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 05:02 PM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

quote:
Originally posted by RaventheOnly
confused i've played all the games you spoke of and Halo still rocks when i look back on it confused i've played and owned a lot of FPS since the very beginning of the genera confused console and computer alike confused Halo has this kind of aura when you sit ajnd play it that is like nothing else. nothing has ever moved as smooth ever since. I regularily play 1942 and Vietnam and UT2004 i own them confused but they move like all the others.... nothing that ensares one.

Exactly!!!!!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 05:22 PM
ScarFace Clone
Restricted

Account Restricted

Cal i have a friend and he owns all three systems X-box,PS2, and game cube and he likes Ps2 the best and yes he dose own halo. i agree with him when he says that halo gets boring after about 45 minutes. so you coment about only owning ps2 and not listening and all that crap is wrong.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 05:54 PM
ScarFace Clone is currently offline Click here to Send ScarFace Clone a Private Message Find more posts by ScarFace Clone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

I can attest to that. Halo's worst and best features are their levels. Some levels take like an hour to beat, which is fun if you're drawn into the game, but tedious if you were looking to just fly through.

Most of the indoor levels are boring and repetitive, but the outdoor levels are lots and lots of fun.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 06:13 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote:
Originally posted by cal31
You're the fricken ignorant one, I've quoted reviews saying it had some of the best AI ever, some of the best gameplay ever, some of the best graphics up till then of any FPS, and that's from people who've played more FPS than days that you have lived, so if that is inexperience, than we're all screwed. So what the hell are you talking about the only answer you got was ignorance. If you would if you would actually listen for once you could maybe understand, but instead you have to say you don't like and don't care what made it such a good game and nothing will change that. If you were so right about how halo wasn't that good, why is it rated so good on every site, why is it the best selling xbox game ever, why is it the most popular game to play at college all around the U.S.?
Just wondering, how many of the people in here that don't like Halo have own only ps2 or a pc and not xbox?

Wow, you quoted reviews, good for you. Way to let other people argue for you. Maybe instead of quoting some online reviews from people who weren't good enough to get into the game mags you should set up your own argument instead of "gamespot said this so it much be true , duh". That's not how it works. A review is not proof of anything. It's just one persons opinion, it's no more valid then anyone elses.

Again, you're showing your inexperience. The game DID NOT have the best graphics of any FPS ever when it came out. Maybe compared to console FPS games, but not compared to some PC games that were out at the same time.

Perhaps if you actually READ my posts you would have noticed that I said IT IS A GOOD GAME. But not worthy of the massive praise it gets, and certainly not worthy of the title of "Best FPS" it often gets. Also, you would have noticed that I've given plenty of statements to back up my statements. Statements that aren't lifted directly out of a review. Again, the argument of "it got good reviews, so it's good" is not valid. You're just telling me that some loser who couldn't get a job at Gamepro liked it. Wow, what credibility.

And it's funny, you use the same tired arguments to defend the game - "If it's not good then why did it sell so well, why is it so popular, why does it get good reviews" I'll tell you why it's the best selling X-Box game ever, because it's the only GOOD X-Box game that isn't also available on another system.

And to answer your final question, I don't own an X-Box, I have a PS2 and a nice PC that can run any game I throw at it, so why would I want to buy an X-Box, which is essentially a poor mans PC.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 07:37 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

I've given reasons why Halo is great;great controls,best multiplayer ever, great gameplay, great AI, great graphics, so if those aren't giving my own reasons I don't know what is. But you didn't agree with that, so I gave reasons from experts, you still won't listen. Yeah they arn't in the magazines so they must suck, by the way which game magazine do you work for if you know so much more than them, gamespy and Ign are two of the biggest game sites on the web, so you must be a ****ing genius if you know so much more. Don't tell me this shit about how inexperienced I am, I've played plenty of FPS, so shut the hell up. Halo is available on pc, so yes it is on another system, and even if it was just for xbox, why does that affect its sales. If a good game is released for xbox, ps2, and pc, do you think people who own an xbox won't buy it just because it's on other systems? No, they would buy it because it's a good game, it just show how great Halo is because it appealed to a huge age group.

Again you prove you do not comprehend things you read. I said it had some of the best graphics in a fps, not the best, you just totally ignored that part huh?
Xbox is a poor man's pc, that's why I have both, but PS2 is a pile. Most people who think Halo isn't that great are Ps2 owners, plain and simple.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 08:26 PM
BackFire

"I've given reasons why Halo is great;great controls,best multiplayer ever, great gameplay, great AI, great graphics, so if those aren't giving my own reasons I don't know what is."

Holy shit, those are such cookie cutter statements that is boggles my mind. Those statements could be said about just about any game, they are so broad that they are silly. WHAT is it about the controls that you like so much? WHAT is so great about the graphics? WHAT is so great about the A.I. (actually, it's already been established in this thread that the A.I. is nothing more then decent). WHAT about the multiplayer is so great? If you're going to make such generic and dimwitted statements, back them up if you wish to be taken seriously by anyone with a brain.

"But you didn't agree with that, so I gave reasons from experts, you still won't listen. Yeah they arn't in the magazines so they must suck, by the way which game magazine do you work for if you know so much more than them, gamespy and Ign are two of the biggest game sites on the web, so you must be a ****ing genius if you know so much more."

hah, predictable. There's always some short minded S.O.B out there who will always use the tried and true dipshit defense of "well they know more then you because they work for a game publisher/website". Again, that's false. They didn't get that job because they know alot about games. They got that job because they have solid writing skills. Also, so what if I don't work for a game mag/website? I'm not using game mags or reviews as the basis of my arguments. I prefer to come up with points of my own, and back them up with my own thoughts/statements, rather then lifting arguments from other people.

"Don't tell me this shit about how inexperienced I am, I've played plenty of FPS, so shut the hell up."

I don't have to tell you, you're proving me right with every post you make. By saying Halo has "great A.I." you're just proving to me that you havne't played any FPS games that actually DO have great A.I. As someone stated above, the A.I. is nothing special. The monsters strafe, wow, that's amazing. If you think A.I like that is something special then that just suggests to me that the only FPS games you've played are the likes of Doom or Quake. Not games that actually do have great A.I. You say you've played plenty of FPS games, I don't believe you. Because from my experience the people who love Halo so much HAVE NOT played very many FPS games. Halo is usually the only solid FPS game they've ever played. People who have played alot of FPS games recognize Halo as a fun game, but not the great, revolutionary masterpiece that it is falsely recognize as by so many inexperienced people.

"Halo is available on pc, so yes it is on another system, and even if it was just for xbox, why does that affect its sales. If a good game is released for xbox, ps2, and pc, do you think people who own an xbox won't buy it just because it's on other systems? No, they would buy it because it's a good game, it just show how great Halo is because it appealed"

Holy shit, are you serious? It effects sales because for everyone who bought an Xbox, it was the only option they had. And what is this huge age group? lvl 17-25? Most FPS games apeal to the same age group, so I don't know what that argument is all about.

"Again you prove you do not comprehend things you read. I said it had some of the best graphics in a fps, not the best, you just totally ignored that part huh?"

Best graphics, some of the best graphics, it makes no difference, either way that statement is hugely incorrect. It had good graphics, nothing more. They were not among the best, They were not THE best, they were just good. Gnitpicking over something so silly is just proving that you have a weak argument and you are trying desperately to hurt my credibility by saying I can't comprehend what I read because I left out the word "some" from something I quoted you on. Keep trying, kid, maybe one day you'll learn how to argue.

"Xbox is a poor man's pc, that's why I have both, but PS2 is a pile. Most people who think Halo isn't that great are Ps2 owners, plain and simple."

And most people who love Halo are Xbox owners, what's you're point? People who love Halo always say it because they know it's the only redeaming value of their shitty, unnecessary system. At least PS2 has some exclusive games that are worth playing.

Oh, by the way, I'm still waiting for this proof of your claim that "halo 2 is already the best selling game".

Last edited by BackFire on Aug 30th, 2004 at 09:05 PM

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 09:01 PM
KidRock

Halo 2 doesnt show anything special to me..it doesnt seem to bring all that much to the table. HL2 is going to have a great story with the best physics in a game to date(or so I am told). Doom3 and Far Crys graphics (IMO) blow away the graphics I saw in the halo 2 movies. I also agree with what BF said about PS2 having more exclusive games (GTA, MGS)

EDIT: BackFire I think where he said "Halo 2 sells more copies" or something like that...he is reffering to an article I read where HALO 2 has the most pre-orders? or something or that sort. which is total bullshit becuase I didnt pre-order HL2 and I am going to be buying that and not halo.

Last edited by KidRock on Aug 30th, 2004 at 09:51 PM

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 09:47 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote