KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Why do people like Halo that much?

Why do people like Halo that much?
Started by: LeAtHerRFace

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cal31
Let's Win Twins

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Well, I pit it against Half Life regularly. That was out in 1998.

If you think Halo is overrated, Half Life is the most overrated game ever. The only thing new it basically had was graphics, but like Halo, it wasn't just one thing that made it great, it was the sum of all the things about the game that made it so good.

Last edited by cal31 on Aug 26th, 2004 at 09:16 PM

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 09:13 PM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

quote:
Originally posted by Stormy Day
I like the game but it might be spoiled for some because of all the "Best game on X-BOX" talk that goes around but its good none the less and a great game to play with others.

No...it really is ONE of the best games on X-Box.

I just don't know if that's saying something good for the game, or bad about the system. embarrasment

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 10:09 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote:
Originally posted by cal31
If you think Halo is overrated, Half Life is the most overrated game ever. The only thing new it basically had was graphics, but like Halo, it wasn't just one thing that made it great, it was the sum of all the things about the game that made it so good.

Half Life was far more revolutionary then Halo was. The list of things Half life did for the genre is simply huge...

It was one of the first story driven FPS games. It did this 3 years before Halo did it as well.

It had the best A.I. of any FPS game before it, period.

The multiplayer aspect was second to none, still is. It spawned so many great multiplayer mods that influential on their own.

It also had great graphics, and great sound effects. It's atmosphere was also incredible at the time.

Bottom line, Half Life is not over rated, much of Halo's success is due to this game and some of the things it pioneered into the genre.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2004 10:27 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Half Life was definately not overrated... the sound algorithms alone are still unmatched even by todays gaming

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 02:05 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Its funny how people are still comparing new shooters to Half-Life.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 05:37 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

quote:
Originally posted by Samas-adian
Its funny how people are still comparing new shooters to Half-Life.
Thats simple, it was ahead of its time when it was released. A rarity for current games to carry that kind of hefty innovation power under thier belts.

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 06:29 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

I know it wasn't overrated, but if people think Halo is overrated, then half life is, because they were both just as revolutionary. Half life had the best AI, then Halo beat it, Half Life had the best multiplayer, Halo beats that, Halo was a story driven FPS, check that, all of this on a console.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 06:50 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

It's funny to think what would've happened if Halo was released on Mac first as it was originally planned. How big do you think it would've gotten?

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 06:52 AM
ScarFace Clone
Restricted

Account Restricted

Halo is so over rated it isent even funny. but i guess it has a reason to be overratted because it was like the first game for x-box and they only made like 3 game in the first year so they needed to brag about something?

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 03:52 PM
ScarFace Clone is currently offline Click here to Send ScarFace Clone a Private Message Find more posts by ScarFace Clone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Umm no, they had many releases, and I like how you bring your sorry ass in here and say it's overrated with no facts to back yourself up, and have a dumbass thinking process when you say xbox only made 3 games the first year. There was about 40 titles released in 2001, along with Max Payne, Project Gothem, Tony Hawk 3, and many more I don't have the time to name. Not surprised an idiot like you would think it's overrated.

Last edited by cal31 on Aug 27th, 2004 at 04:06 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 03:57 PM
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

lets calm down now cal...

fact is, Halo created it's own hype. You didn't hear about Halo months before the realse of X-Box, you heard about it once X-Box was released. It got it's "hype" from word of mouth. I've never seen a Halo commercial, I've only heard good things about it from word of mouth.

The only people I've ever heard complain about it is on this site, and most of those people complain because they either have PS2 and are haters...or because they are comparing it to Half Life.

Halo never claimed to be innovative....it just claimed to be a good game. And it is a good game.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 04:11 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarFace Clone
Restricted

Account Restricted

what i ment by 3 games, is games that are only for x-box so yes i did have some facts. like tony hawk and max payne those are both for other systems, the only games i say the first year were like munches oddisey and halo and gothom racing

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 04:31 PM
ScarFace Clone is currently offline Click here to Send ScarFace Clone a Private Message Find more posts by ScarFace Clone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
No...it really is ONE of the best games on X-Box.

I just don't know if that's saying something good for the game, or bad about the system. embarrasment

Not "The Best" and not "The reason to buy an X-BOX" yes

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 05:43 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Halo is a great FPS...the thing that really stands out the most is the awesome multiplayer mods.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 06:10 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarFace Clone
Restricted

Account Restricted

its so fake though- Like when you are sniping your gun stays perfictly still you are fightinh aliens with plasma rifels and i just do not like it.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2004 06:50 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote:
lets calm down now cal...

fact is, Halo created it's own hype. You didn't hear about Halo months before the realse of X-Box, you heard about it once X-Box was released. It got it's "hype" from word of mouth. I've never seen a Halo commercial, I've only heard good things about it from word of mouth.

The only people I've ever heard complain about it is on this site, and most of those people complain because they either have PS2 and are haters...or because they are comparing it to Half Life.

Halo never claimed to be innovative....it just claimed to be a good game. And it is a good game.

Not true, I heard quite a bit about Halo months before it was released. It was a pretty big deal.

Halo may have never claimed to be innovative, but there are a lot of people that do claim it is. It is a good game, no doubt about it. But it's not worthy of the praise of "best FPS ever" that it often gets.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2004 12:14 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do people like Halo that much?

quote:
I was just messing around on Halo...i haven't played it in months.

My time has been spent playing 3 of the best FPS out right now, so don't give me that load about not trying something new.

I have FarCry, I have Doom 3, and I beta test CS: Source. All are graphically better than Halo. FarCry and Source have better aiming than Halo.(Doom does not)

I haven't played URT2004, but I own 2k2 and 2k3. They are good games, but not much to my liking. Always fun when company is over...

laughing out loud ok

i agree with you on the aiming. but otherwise, doom3 rocks halos world.

hell yeah, land parties rock!!

Old Post Aug 28th, 2004 02:20 AM
LeAtHerRFace is currently offline Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Who's bitchin here? And how I'm not on topic? I clearly asked why do ppl compared a console game to a pc game? From Halo to Doom III? At least answer my try to answer my simple question.

because we want to. and its too damn over rated sad

Old Post Aug 28th, 2004 02:21 AM
LeAtHerRFace is currently offline Click here to Send LeAtHerRFace a Private Message Find more posts by LeAtHerRFace Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

quote:
I run an extremly similar PC.

Differences being i have
-7 fans
-200 gig harddrive
-2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 w/ Hyperthreading
- 21" monitor
- 550 watt power supply (came with the case)

either you're lying about the specs on your PC, or you're completely full of crap when it comes to your comparison of Halo on PC vs. Halo on console.

Halo is a much much better game on PC than it is on console. A processor that fast, that much gig, and that nice of a graphics card will run any game on the market smoothly. Your biased hatred of Halo shines through all too much.

iam not lying. i made this comp by myself. i just think its a lil faster on the xbox. because ive only played halo twice on my custom pc and the g5. stick out tongue

no argue on the graphics though. i just dont like halo: 1.overrated 2.the levels do suck balls 3.its nothing compared to the other fps out now

Old Post Aug 28th, 2004 02:24 AM
LeAtHerRFace
Founder Of Fight Club

I agree with BF. Halflife is far superior than the likes of Halo. And so will the sequels when they come out this year

Old Post Aug 28th, 2004 02:26 AM