KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Guild Wars 2 finally starts to come to life

Guild Wars 2 finally starts to come to life
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (55): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, definitely agreed on Warriors, though possibly split them up a bit so there are more melee classes... which could possibly bring a Paragon-ttpye back into it. Youn could have a tank wariror, a rogue-warrior and a buffing warrior.

Still, we have no idea how many professions they want, or how your race might effect it. If Asurans are messing around with golems al the time now, it might make standard professions not quite applicable.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 09:04 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Talking of Monks- they were always a mistake. One of Guild War's innovations was to remove healing potions etc. and give everyone their own healing solution.

But then they made Monks BETETR at healing... which means that, reltaively speaking, it was exactly the same as every other fantasy game, that a healer was essential.

Which is exactly how it is- virtually every single party in GW MUST have a Monk in it. And that should never happen.

Nah, the monks are a good touch, the only problem is they allowed skills to become to imbalanced. Like you said with Warriors.

Can't have a solid Fantasy RPG without the Priest! - or in our case, the monk. /healer.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 09:06 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't mean dump the Monk- I mean they made a mistake with them. And who takes a Smiting Monk seriously?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 23rd, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 09:08 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

If they could successfully re-tune Paragons into being Bards (as they basically are, without the music) then that would be fine as well. As I say, there IS an archetype for a party buffer. It is always difficult though, as you have the problem that if a party has LOTS of party buffers in it bcomes a nightmare to balance. And Monks did defensive party buffing anyway, so that was half of what Paragons do already done.

(and what is the central skill of the only to-class Paragon build? A Warrior shout...)

This is one of the bgi reasons they wanted to start again from scratch. None of what they did was BAD, and as I say I love my Paragon, but it was just getting out of control and was going to be impossible to balance if they carruied on like it. So simplicity is the key for the re-start and I will be very surprised if thy don't cut out classes that overlap.

And you can't not have Warriors in a fantasy game!

Bah! Warriors are boring. There's a reason mine doesn't get much play. Other than the fact that she's never going to leave Pre-searing, of course.

And I will be sad if they cut out Dervishes. I love my Dervish, damnit. Whiiiich is why I want to know what they're doing, profession-wise. Because there was definitely at least one character in the trailer that resembled a Dervish (I'm not even going to lie here - I love their armor designs...). And I think I read something along the lines of that armor is not going to be quite as profession specific. If I was able to create a Warrior and set up skills similar to how my Dervish works, and get armor that looks similar...I'd be happy with that.

Originally posted by Juk3n
@PEACH Thats where i gotta disagree, Can't have an RPG without the holy trinity (Warrior/Nuke/Monk) ;p. Im a Warrior to the Bone, i hated dervish because they were a hybrid class that negated the whole dual class system. They took Monk-ish skills and Warrior-ish skills and made a clas that could outlast/damage both over a short time. They were impressive to see, but they're not COre like the straite up warrior. I could stand a variation on the Rogue/assassin though, another melee is definetley needed, they just need to make sure it's balanced from the Go.

Warriors bore me, Monks bore me (I freaking hate playing support, I like to be up front causing damage, not standing back and healing/buffing everyone else), and nuking is fun but I find it bores me quickly. Which is why, despite my love of magic and making things go boom, I've never been able to play an Elementalist for very long. Blowing things up via hexes is fun, though, and I definitely hope that the Mesmer concept sticks around, because that's not only very different from the usual archetypes, but also awesome. Tricky, but awesome.

Talking of Monks- they were always a mistake. One of Guild War's innovations was to remove healing potions etc. and give everyone their own healing solution.

But then they made Monks BETETR at healing... which means that, reltaively speaking, it was exactly the same as every other fantasy game, that a healer was essential.

Which is exactly how it is- virtually every single party in GW MUST have a Monk in it. And that should never happen.

Though, to be fair, most of the self-heals the different professions have aren't strong enough to keep them alive on their own for long. I've got one enchantment with my Dervish that can make me able to out-survive a heck of a lot of damage, but it's dependent on me having several other enchants going at once and it's a huge strain on my energy at that point, as well as paying close attention to what I've got up so I can recast things as they run out and bah.

It does get annoying having to make sure I've always got at least one Monk with me while doing things, though.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Last edited by Peach on Aug 22nd, 2009 at 09:17 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 09:14 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I don''t mean dump the Monk- I mean they made a mistake with them. And who takes a Smiting Monk seriously?

Smiting Monks are the sole reason I sometimes get bored and make a PvP Mesmer to play with in Jade Quarry. They get so lost if you interrupt them...hehehehe...

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 09:15 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Even if you find Warriors boring, there is no way you can defend a psoition of not having them in the game How can you not have a basic melee fighter in a fantasy game?

Warriors are the core of core professions.

-

Meanwhile- the ONLY reason that the self-heals aren't good enough is because the damage is all calibrated for the superior Monk heals, else Monks would be indestructible see? That's the problem. Basic game design issue.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 23rd, 2009 at 08:05 AM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 10:13 PM
Peach
mordrem

Hey, I never said they shouldn't be there. Just that I don't like them and would rather have other melee options!

And yeah, I know. Personally, I think the self-heals that the different professions have should be stronger/easier to use/whatever so that there's actually reason to bring them along instead of just relying on a Monk.

I mean, with how I've been playing my Dervish lately, I've pretty much dropped my self-heals off my bar entirely because I simply need the space and energy for other things more...

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 10:18 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

To go back to the persistent world thing from earlier in the thread, I'm sure they'll do something like you mentioned with having districts or what have you. There are many things being done in other presistent world games that are really doing away with the real problem areas of that style of gameplay.

They may implement something like WoW's phasing system, which sort of creates an instance within the game world for you and allows for the world and area to change for you without changing it for others. And while you're in that area, other players can't see you, though it's still a seamless world without load times or anything of the light to distract from the adventuring. I'm sure they have good ideas.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 01:21 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Oh my god, this is just awesome.

All my titles though, I'll have to earn them again.

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 03:57 AM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I was going to comment that I didn't know you played GW, but now that I think about it, I think I vaguely remember you and my brother talking about it in another thread at some point.

I need to actually start caring enough to work on titles. I have...um...one maxed out? If I even get five done, it'll be a damn miracle. That is where the grind comes in, and I don't have the attention span for it stick out tongue Though I should really finish mapping Prophecies, I'm at something like 93% on that...

Also, still very curious what the Hall of Monuments is going to give us in GW2. I want to know if working on titles will even be worth it...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 04:05 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by BackFire
To go back to the persistent world thing from earlier in the thread, I'm sure they'll do something like you mentioned with having districts or what have you. There are many things being done in other presistent world games that are really doing away with the real problem areas of that style of gameplay.

They may implement something like WoW's phasing system, which sort of creates an instance within the game world for you and allows for the world and area to change for you without changing it for others. And while you're in that area, other players can't see you, though it's still a seamless world without load times or anything of the light to distract from the adventuring. I'm sure they have good ideas.

Well I am certainly looking forward to seeing what they do with it. But it does seem their big plan- this 'Event' system- is dependent on a standard persistent outside world with lots of people having no choice but to play in the same place as others, and I am not yet convinced it will work as well as they hope it will.

Still, we'll see.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 23rd, 2009 at 04:28 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 08:07 AM
Peach
mordrem

Yeah, I dunno. I do rather like the standard quest system.

Also I get the feel that this 'event' system will suck for people who don't play quite as much. One of the big lures of GW was that it's so easily accessible for casual players, but this strikes me as a move away from that.

So yeah. I'm not sure about that.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 04:27 PM
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

I wouldn't be disuaded so easily by the event system, they say "there prolly won't be exclamaitions marks above npc's heads hahaha" but that just means there will be another symbol to reprezent quests that can be activated. Careful wording for sure to make us think they're implementing something really new, but in a quest heavy fantasy world they'll definetley have more than the event system.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 07:51 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Oh, and on the wish list, i hope the character creation takes a page out of Aions book. GW1 was absolutley clone central sometimes. Plus im a real perfectionist and a serious RPG'er, i like to have as much control over every aspect of my character as i can, and looking unique as possible is a must imo. Aion really raised the standard i think you guys should check out the character customization NCSOFT implemented, it's awsome.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 08:22 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Juk3n
I wouldn't be disuaded so easily by the event system, they say "there prolly won't be exclamaitions marks above npc's heads hahaha" but that just means there will be another symbol to reprezent quests that can be activated. Careful wording for sure to make us think they're implementing something really new, but in a quest heavy fantasy world they'll definetley have more than the event system.

That's exceedingly unlikely. They mean what they say about that. Do you honestly think they would be as petty and pedantic as for that to mean "Oh, we are just using a symbol that is not an exclamation mark"? Of course not. Their intent is to not have that kind of quest structure.

I think too much customisation has a possiblity of narrowing your audience. Some people just want to jump in.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 10:17 PM
Peach
mordrem

I didn't find Aion's customization, while playing the beta, to be anything special anyway. Most of the changes you can make hardly show any differences. Most of the characters I saw still looked nearly-identical.

A bit more customization would be nice, though, I think...but at this point, who can tell how they'll even handle that. I mean, a lot of characters aren't even going to be human in GW2. It should be interesting to see how they do that.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 10:22 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User..._21_August_2009

Confirmed that guns are in, for Charr at least. Hmmm...

And a hint that the Titans are still relevant!

Looks like PAX will be the next place to look for more info.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 09:11 AM
Peach
mordrem

Hehe, I saw that a couple of days ago.

I kind of want to explore Orr myself...

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 01:41 PM
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Still no news about the pvp though, eh?

Guild Wars PvE had me only for about a year. Then for the next three I was just PvPing, and barely ever coming out to PvE.

The PvE was good during Prophecies and Factions, but when they spread the world out way too thin, the people per area became so low that its actually impossible to find a group. It was sometimes hard enough to find a group with Factions and Prophecies, I recall, but after two more continents were added it's just untolerable. You would have to ask your guildmates to team in or get some of your friends.

I also noticed how in the trailer the graphics don't look amazing or revolutionary. Honestly, they look exactly the same as in Guidl Wars except with new objects, continents. The walking animations on the characters are even the same, or so I noticed during the trailer when a group passed by in the forest/hill area.

Heh, I'm also really surprised that Ushgarak and all of you play Guild Wars. Never knew, we should have a few fun PvP's or Elite Missions one day stick out tongue

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 04:52 PM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

PvE is perfectly good single player or with friends, though, that's part of the thing. I mean, sure, PvP seems more your thing, but the amount of PvE material in there is enormous. I've barely tried the PvP, but I've been at the PvE close to constantly for nearly a year, and I've still managed to leave enough undone to keep me going for a while. And ca you really complain that the PvE had you for 'only' a year? That's more than most games, yeah? And no monthly fees involved!

The change with the graphics is mostly SCALE. Did you see the size and detail of those areas? And their fully 3-d nature? And the graphics are a definite upgrade- the issue is, it has to run on moderate computers. It's not an FPS. It's not about psuhing the very limits of the most expensive graphics cards.

Frankly, I think it looks gorgeous. The vision is the thing, and it is top notch.

As for the PvP- I think I mentioned about it being split in two. It's called Structured PvP, which is what you can create a character for and will probably be where the 'professional' competitive side is, and World PvP, which is the casual side that PvE enemies can drop into, and is set in the Mists. World PvP battles are reportedly going to be huge ongoing things with dozens per side (full details are not confirmed).

Lion's Arch is the new home of PvP.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 24th, 2009 at 05:10 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 05:02 PM