KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Most important person in the world

Most important person in the world
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Most important person in the world

Who is it and why?

A political leader?
A religious figure?
A scientist?
A businessman?
Someone else entirely?

Important by your definition of course.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 07:04 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I'm the most important person in the world.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 12:36 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

It's Astner.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 12:44 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
I'm the most important person in the world.

Of course you are. Please, dont wake up. smile

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 12:44 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by riv6672
Of course you are. Please, dont wake up. smile

It's not that I'm wrong, it's how you worded the title of the thread.

The word you were looking for was influential.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 01:22 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

No, the word i was looking for was important. I chose it quite deliberately.

Now, go back to sleep. The rest of us are....fading a....waaaaay....wink

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 01:30 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

No, the word i was looking for was important. I chose it quite deliberately.

So who in their right mind would consider anyone but themselves to be the most important person in the world?

Let me put it like this: I'd be the last person on the planet that I'd have dead.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 01:32 PM
riv6672

Never in my responses did i say you were wrong. My OP said by YOUR definition.
My OP didnt say i couldnt goof around with you over your answer.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 01:35 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Never in my responses did i say you were wrong. My OP said by YOUR definition.
My OP didnt say i could goof around with you over your answer.

"I was wrong," would've sufficed.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 01:36 PM
riv6672

I know, but i'm pretty sure you'll never admit you were, from what i've seen if your posts in the past.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 01:41 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I'm very impressed with Malala Yousafzai. She survives a bullet to the head by barbarians (who are, no doubt, more afraid of her than ever); she addresses the world at the UN, will be the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. It's almost like a superhero origin. She is a tremendous inspiration for the rights of girls and women worldwide to have an education, and I can't imagine that her influence won't be felt for decades to come.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Oct 19th, 2014 at 02:14 PM

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 02:11 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

So who in their right mind would consider anyone but themselves to be the most important person in the world?

Let me put it like this: I'd be the last person on the planet that I'd have dead.

By that measurement, there are people who would put other people's lifes over their own.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 05:00 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Probably the US President. There isn't anyone nearly as close in terms of funding, a platform from which to influence others, and the system in place to make changes happen. Billionaires have the same kind of money, but not the same ability to enact legislative change, either nationally or internationally. Other major world leaders would be similarly positioned, so they'd be next.

Societally we could point to influential figures like Oprah, Bill Gates, etc. and, collectively, they may have had more importance/influence than any single US President and/or world leader. But my answer is that the office of the President, as a whole, is the most important position in the world.

"I was wrong," would've sufficed.

Yes, let's derail the thread over a semantic squabble, instead of easily discerning what he meant and answering the question. We're all in awe of your ability to pedantically gain the upper hand in internet arguments.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Also, there are other uses of important that make perfect sense, not just your egocentric one, if we want to truly be pedantic.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 19th, 2014 at 06:36 PM

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 06:21 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I'm with Astner on this one. The OP says according to my own definition.

In the end, all that matters to you... is you. All that matters to me... is me. Such is the way of things.

So yeah, me. thumb up

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 06:58 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by NemeBro
I'm with Astner on this one. The OP says according to my own definition.

In the end, all that matters to you... is you. All that matters to me... is me. Such is the way of things.

So yeah, me. thumb up

Lol, ok. But there's still context being ignored. He's asking about politicians, businessmen, etc. We can define what is important differently - scientific discovery, political influence, social change, etc. - but it's clear the OP was talking about cultural relevance. Astner's probably right that riv should have used "influential" instead. But in saying that, he's showing us that he knows what Riv intended, and is deliberately ignoring it for the sake of a smug semantically correct but contextually worthless answer.

Again, no one's stopping you guys from being pedants. But it's contributing very little, and substituting a potential conversation on worldwide influence for "Haha, me."

Last edited by Digi on Oct 19th, 2014 at 07:12 PM

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 07:09 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I have influenced this world more than any politician, businessperson, religious leader, or scientist that has ever lived.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 07:20 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by NemeBro
I have influenced this world more than any politician, businessperson, religious leader, or scientist that has ever lived.

In that case, I stand corrected.

thumb up

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 07:28 PM
NemeBro

It's okay, you have My forgiveness. thumb up

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 07:31 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Digi
Again, no one's stopping you guys from being pedants.

Your very post goes to prove that

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 08:24 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Mindset
It's Astner.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 08:41 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote