KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Which is the better show: Naruto/shippuuden vs Avatar: TLA/LoK

Which is the better show: Naruto/shippuuden vs Avatar: TLA/LoK
Started by: psycho gundam

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Which is the better show: Naruto/shippuuden vs Avatar: TLA/LoK

Basically this is a thread devoted to figuring out which -- at this point legendary series is the better of the two.

Just the naruto animated series because it has to be balanced as much as possible.

(Characters, story, action, etc are things that should be criteria for this.)

I love them both but....which one is the best?

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 06:51 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:15 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

The anime for Naruto has worse pacing than the manga even before you get into filler.

Show wise, there's no contest, Avatar wins.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:20 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I think it's closer than the two above me probably do, since I do like Naruto action more, but yeah Avatar wins. A dumb ending does not compare to the mountain of filler episodes.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:48 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:49 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Come to think of it, why is LoK mentioned? It's got like two episodes lol.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:52 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Avatar the Last Airbender is one of the more tightly designed shows. In the entire three seasons, which episodes are worth losing?

Great Divide and... that's about it.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:53 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I could get rid of that one episode where Katara was helping the village in the Fire Nation or something. I don't remember what happened there, if anything.

That said, I have quite a few complaints with it lol. It just is objectively better than Naruto lulz.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:59 PM
Demonic Phoenix

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
I think it's closer than the two above me probably do, since I do like Naruto action more, but yeah Avatar wins. A dumb ending does not compare to the mountain of filler episodes.

Yeah, I don't think it is very close at all. For me, Avatar has got the better plot and pacing, a higher number of interesting and developed characters, and better humor. Naruto fights are more fun to watch though, and while I do find Avatar's history and mythology extremely cool, I think Naruto's background mythos has the edge right now.

Note that I am comparing it to the manga, not the Anime, which I find to be worse than the Manga in most areas except fight choreography.

And of course, female fighters are actually incredibly badass in Avatar.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 09:02 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I'll agree with everything you said except characters. Mostly cause several characters in Avatar were hit and miss with me. But that's merely a personal preference. And it's not like I like every Naruto character lol. In that regard, I personally consider them relatively close.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 09:10 PM
Demonic Phoenix

Originally posted by Q99
Avatar the Last Airbender is one of the more tightly designed shows. In the entire three seasons, which episodes are worth losing?

Great Divide and... that's about it.

In Season 1, there's "The Warriors of Kyoshi", "Jet", "The Great Divide", and The Fortuneteller". 'Jet' gave us Jet and the Freedom fighters, but Jet was not important to the plot.
For that last one, while it does hint at the Aang-Katara pairing, nothing else important happens iirc.

Season 2, there's really only "Avatar Day" that I can think of, though it was still an episode I really liked.

Season 3, there's "The Headband", "The Painted Lady", and "Nightmares and Daydreams" which was mind-numbingly stupid.

Given that Avatar only really started following a serialized format somewhere in Season 2, a fair number of episodes from Season 1 weren't very important to the characters or to the overarching plot.

I'll agree with everything you said except characters. Mostly cause several characters in Avatar were hit and miss with me. But that's merely a personal preference. And it's not like I like every Naruto character lol. In that regard, I personally consider them relatively close.
Yeah, I suppose it is fairly close.
I think I like more Avatar characters than I do Naruto ones, and I think the Aang-Zuko dynamic was far better than the Naruto-Sasuke one has been, even though Naruto and Sasuke are better as characters.

The problem with Naruto is that characters who are not Naruto or Sasuke tend to get tossed aside for a long time after they've gotten some development and a flashback or two.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 09:30 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Yeah, I suppose it is fairly close.
I think I like more Avatar characters than I do Naruto ones, and I think the Aang-Zuko dynamic was far better than the Naruto-Sasuke one has been, even though Naruto and Sasuke are better as characters.

The problem with Naruto is that characters who are not Naruto or Sasuke tend to get tossed aside for a long time after they've gotten some development and a flashback or two.

Eh, I haven't kept count. But of those four, if I listed my favorites it would go Zuko>Naruto/Sasuke>Aang. I would like Aang a lot more were it not for the end of the series. Though I saw the relationships as being roughly equal. I think it's hard to compare though cause Sasuke and Naruto are rivals while Aang and Zuko...well, it's complicated.

Eh, I think that is more true in part 2 than 1. Which makes sense because part 2 is about Naruto trying to bring Sasuke back. But eh.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 09:40 PM
Demonic Phoenix

Eh, I haven't kept count. But of those four, if I listed my favorites it would go Zuko>Naruto/Sasuke>Aang. I would like Aang a lot more were it not for the end of the series. Though I saw the relationships as being roughly equal. I think it's hard to compare though cause Sasuke and Naruto are rivals while Aang and Zuko...well, it's complicated.

Eh, I think that is more true in part 2 than 1. Which makes sense because part 2 is about Naruto trying to bring Sasuke back. But eh.

My favourites are Zuko > Sasuke = Aang > Naruto, but I do think Naruto and Sasuke are better characters.
Yeah, but in Part 2, the NS relationship has been extremely one-sided. It was great in Part 1, which is one reason why I think the VotE fight was an excellent ending to Part 1, but it has fizzled out until recent events.

Part 2 has been going for on longer than Part 1 has.

Also, you aren't using 'eh' correctly. It has to appear at the end of your sentences, like it is at the end of your post. stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 09:55 PM
wakkawakkawakka

Avatar wins for having badass/competent/first-class female fighters that actually contribute regularly to the plot. On top of the superior pacing and art quality, Naruto animation in Part 2 sucks, in Avatar.

That and Sokka>>>Anime Narutoverse cool

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 10:07 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Imo, naruto is better at creating emotional moments, there a ton in part one but the death of jiraya and naruto moping around after......man tears

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 11:28 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by psycho gundam
Imo, naruto is better at creating emotional moments, there a ton in part one but the death of jiraya and naruto moping around after......man tears

I can see that, though I would argue it's something Avatar can do as well, particularly with Zuko. "Zuko Alone" is a very emotional episode.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 11:30 PM
Demonic Phoenix

Originally posted by psycho gundam

Clearly you did not watch the Tale of Iroh.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 11:57 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Old Post Apr 14th, 2012 12:04 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
In Season 1, there's "The Warriors of Kyoshi", "Jet", "The Great Divide", and The Fortuneteller". 'Jet' gave us Jet and the Freedom fighters, but Jet was not important to the plot.
For that last one, while it does hint at the Aang-Katara pairing, nothing else important happens iirc.

Both Jet and the Kyoshi Warriors become very important to the plot later on and keep showing up in later episodes, so those actually are important episodes. In particular the Kyoshi Warriors since they're who find Appa and they're who allow Azula to take over Ba Sing Se and since Suki arguably becomes a main character and full-fledged part of the Gaang in season 3.

Last edited by Nephthys on Apr 14th, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2012 12:18 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Double poast.

While I agree that the end was a major cop-out and a complete dethroning moment of suck for Aang, at least Aang didn't hyperventilate because his boyfriend doesn't love him anymore . That moment of Naruto being a gigantic throbbing pussy completely overshadows the end of Avatar imo.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2012 12:44 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote