KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Who is Scientist Supreme in the DCU?

Scientist Supreme!
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Batman 6 35.29%
Will Magnus 2 11.76%
Professor Stein 0 0%
Ray Palmer 3 17.65%
Steel 2 11.76%
Professor Haley 1 5.88%
Mr. Terrific 0 0%
T.O. Morrow 1 5.88%
Dr. Sivana 2 11.76%
Rip Hunter 0 0%
Total: 17 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Who is Scientist Supreme in the DCU?
Started by: Prep-Man

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

Question Who is Scientist Supreme in the DCU?

Please vote.

Last edited by Senor Cage on Feb 27th, 2010 at 09:57 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 09:55 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Who is Scientist Supreme in the DCU?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Please vote.
im not registered to vote

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 10:04 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Well, iirc, Pym was chosen as Scientist Supreme because of his unique approach on science, not just pure intellect. I'm not sure who here would meet the same criteria as Pym being "the Mage", but the argument could be made for most.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 10:08 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Well, iirc, Pym was chosen as Scientist Supreme because of his unique approach on science, not just pure intellect. I'm not sure who here would meet the same criteria as Pym being "the Mage", but the argument could be made for most.

Who do you think it would be, then? I might say Will.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 12:32 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I vote for Alexander Luthor, Jr.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 12:39 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Pym as in Giant Man? confused

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 03:19 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Pym is among the best scientists in Earth, his feats are proof for it.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 03:44 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

But hes in DC? thats what I meant....

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 03:50 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

He was just addressing how Pym got his Scientist Supreme stitch to transpose it into the DCU.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 03:54 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

batman

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 04:14 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Desaad

That sort of fevered, almost unstable, need to create, to build, to achieve wonders - the criteria by which he was chosen for his role as scientist supreme - most accurately characterizes Will Magnus. They even both have history of mental instability.

Steel represents the Stark-like desire to enact social change through the power of innovation. He's about transforming the global community through his creations, more than he is about the love of creation itself.

Ray Palmer is a professor and an adventurer, and really values the understanding of a concept or principal more than he values the creation of a device or object. His technology, his innovations, tend to serve as tools for further information gathering, exploration, learning.

In terms of who has created the most impressive stuff? T.O. Morrow probably takes the cake, but Atom and Niles Caulder give him a run.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 04:36 PM
Desaad is currently offline Click here to Send Desaad a Private Message Find more posts by Desaad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Special mention for Lex Luthor.. The guy's a beast with raw materials.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 05:04 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I note that most DC scientists are more specialized. Atom's great but you'll almost never see him build a robot, for example, and likewise Will Magnus will rarely do something in particle physics. Mr. Terrific and Batman are generalists, but tend not to do as crazy stuff.

Hm, Professor Ivo should be on the list if we're including villains, though
X Supreme does seem to mostly be limited to heroic types.

I don't even know who Professor Haley is. Scoop?

T.O. Morrow is probably my bet of the list. Magnus does point out how awesome he is for making a robot soul, and he made a device to view 100 years into the future (though admittedly, this does mean he had a knowledge advantage in building his stuff after that) as well as a device to create space that he used on Black Adam during 52. The Red Tornado (Volcano, Torpedo, Inferno) series is quite impressive, and Tomorrow Woman is crazy-awesome (though a collaboration).

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 05:34 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

How is Lex Luthor not on the list?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 05:47 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Desaad

Originally posted by Q99
I note that most DC scientists are more specialized. Atom's great but you'll almost never see him build a robot, for example, and likewise Will Magnus will rarely do something in particle physics. Mr. Terrific and Batman are generalists, but tend not to do as crazy stuff.

Less specialized than you might think. Besides building Time Machines, Ray Palmer's greatest feat is probably overcoming the Hourman virus, which was 853rd Cen technology. And Caulder has done everything from creating Nanomachines and robots to time machines.

quote:
I don't even know who Professor Haley is. Scoop?

He's the Professor of the Challengers of the Unknown. He's never really accomplished anything on the level of the others on the list. I believe his greatest feat was not being driven made from the information on how to traverse Hypertime, which was given to him by Metron.

quote:
T.O. Morrow is probably my bet of the list. Magnus does point out how awesome he is for making a robot soul, and he made a device to view 100 years into the future (though admittedly, this does mean he had a knowledge advantage in building his stuff after that) as well as a device to create space that he used on Black Adam during 52. The Red Tornado (Volcano, Torpedo, Inferno) series is quite impressive, and Tomorrow Woman is crazy-awesome (though a collaboration).

Note that he first invented tesserect technology when he was 15, and altered an iPod to become a death ray. That said, Magnus makes it clear that he himself is the superior 'soul creator' when he's off his meds, and both seem to value that particular feat above all. In some ways, it makes sense, as building a synthetic soul is pretty insane.

I believe the implication with Tomorrow Woman was that Ivo created all her physical abilities, being that his specialty is creating super powerful robots, while T.O. Morrow created her brain.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 06:26 PM
Desaad is currently offline Click here to Send Desaad a Private Message Find more posts by Desaad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Desaad

Originally posted by Endless Mike
How is Lex Luthor not on the list?

His Post Crisis history of genius has been spotty at best. Only recently is he getting anything approaching a push in that regard.

If you take into account all his Pre Crisis stuff, and htose Pre Crisis stories appear to be back in continuity, then he would be insane, but kind of stupidly insane -- building time machines out of tin cans and assorted garbage.

Either way, none of these guys would be the Scientist Supreme of the DCU, since that is a decidely heroic/protector role.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 06:27 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Lex has done some pretty impressive stuff lately, he cured a paraplegic with some random ingredients in a few hours and then undid it.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 06:45 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Desaad

Which is why I said he's gotten a renewed push.

But prior to that, there wasn't a lot. Basically from Man of Steel until the Johns/Busiek era he became a business man, a Kingpin and a political manipulator. He had pockets of brilliance - Alan Moore's Swamp Thing had him design a device in under 60 seconds to destroy the Swamp Thing during his Plant-Elemental phase (when nothing else could) - but for the most part he hasn't been that impressive.

But, again, given that a lot of that Pre-Crisis stuff seems to be in continuity again, yeah, he's probably got the most outlandish stuff of the present day DC characters.

Nothing beats Brainiac 5, though.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 06:51 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I think Metron should be on this list.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 06:55 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Desaad

He's a god. It's a bit like saying the Celestials should be on the list.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2010 06:59 PM