KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Conversion to a different religion

Conversion to a different religion
Started by: GRRRR

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
GRRRR
Restricted

Account Restricted

Conversion to a different religion

What do you think about it?
Would you convert?
Would you convert for your partner if he/she insisted?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 01:52 AM
GRRRR is currently offline Click here to Send GRRRR a Private Message Find more posts by GRRRR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shabazz916

why wud u

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 03:06 AM
Shabazz916 is currently offline Click here to Send Shabazz916 a Private Message Find more posts by Shabazz916 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I did convert from Christianity to Buddhism.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 06:39 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Is it necessary to quit being christian to become a buddhist?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 06:47 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Bentley
Is it necessary to quit being christian to become a buddhist?

No, not at all. I quit being a Christian when I was in my twenties. I found Buddhism in my forties. I spent twenty years in the wilderness before God brought me to Buddhism.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 06:52 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

No, not at all. I quit being a Christian when I was in my twenties. I found Buddhism in my forties. I spent twenty years in the wilderness before God brought me to Buddhism.

That makes sense.

Did you still feel that becoming a buddhist was a conversion from your former religion?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 06:54 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Bentley
That makes sense.

Did you still feel that becoming a buddhist was a conversion from your former religion?

In a way, it was. But I like to use the lost in the wilderness analogy because when I found Buddhism, it was like finding the promised land.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 06:58 AM
dyajeep

me from Catholicism to Christianity...

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 07:31 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by dyajeep
me from Catholicism to Christianity...

Catholicism is Christianity. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 07:37 AM
riv6672

Re: Conversion to a different religion

Originally posted by GRRRR
I think its fine, depending on the reasons behind it. By that i mean, i've known people who did it to piss their parents off. Their business, but, i dont think much of that.

Would you convert?
Would and have.

No.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 07:51 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

forgot to answer the 1st post... here goes...

freedom of religion...

Would you convert?

yes... already did...

nope, personal choice as it should be...

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 07:56 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

I would "convert" for my wife in as much as I would superficially convert to appease her family, belief is belief, it doesn't change because it's asked to... Like sexual preference, gay men marry women all the time to be accepted by family/society

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 09:36 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Not the most apt analogy, but not going to harp on that; i see what you mean.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 09:45 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scoobless
I would "convert" for my wife in as much as I would superficially convert to appease her family, belief is belief, it doesn't change because it's asked to... Like sexual preference, gay men marry women all the time to be accepted by family/society
once i thought i would do this for a woman. we thought we might get married and she would get disowned if i didn't. thinking back on it now i am pretty sure that wouldn't have worked anyway. i guess maybe i'm just not dedicated enough to keep up a ruse for that long but to me it seems that would almost certainly fall through eventually.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 10:14 AM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

It's easy for me to answer like that purely because I don't follow any religion... I imagine that if I did my answer may be very different

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 04:31 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GRRRR
Restricted

Account Restricted

️Thank you all!
For self conversion it's understandable. The person makes their own choice.
But with forced conversion...Here is the problem. This peer pressure. Families going Romeo-Juliet style, no you won't be together because you are of different religions. And then you either "appease" or stand your ground and go away un/defeated. What about free will? What about tolerance? Why does someone's disrespectful judgement has to impact lives? We are not apes, we are human beings, we have to be civilized.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 05:02 PM
GRRRR is currently offline Click here to Send GRRRR a Private Message Find more posts by GRRRR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GRRRR
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 05:05 PM
GRRRR
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scoobless
I would "convert" for my wife in as much as I would superficially convert to appease her family, belief is belief, it doesn't change because it's asked to...

lying to self and everyone around you?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 05:05 PM
Scoobless
sselboocS

lying to self and everyone around you?

Yes, actually. I'm pretty ok about that in this context, purely because I don't have belief in any organised religion.

So as I have no "church" to betray I am free to make choices that can make other's lives easier.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 05:13 PM
juggerman

Re: Conversion to a different religion

I think it's just fine. As long as you convert to the RIGHT oneangel

Would you convert?

I have. I once was lost, but now I'm foundbig grin

Negative smokin'

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Nov 14th, 2014 05:14 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote