KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Captain Mar-Vell 2012

Captain Mar-Vell 2012
Started by: JakeTheBank

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Captain Mar-Vell 2012

(please log in to view the image)

We already know Mar-Vell is supposed to return during the Avengers vs. X-Men event, but whether or not it's the real Mar-Vell or someone else taking up his mantle is still unclear. It's also unclear whether or not this teaser is referring to the tie in issue of Secret Avengers or in fact is hinting at a mini-series or ongoing. It'd be nice if Genis came back, but I'm really hoping for the real Mar-Vell. "The Death of Captain Marvel" was easily one of the best graphic novels and stories Marvel ever produced as well as one of their best character deaths, but the return of "the most cosmic superhero of all" if handled by an all star team would bring back a sorely missed and underrated character as well as still pay homage to the original graphic novel.

Details will be revealed on Saturday at WonderCon.

Last edited by JakeTheBank on Mar 12th, 2012 at 08:15 PM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 08:12 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Sounds cool, but from a marketing standpoint I think they should be trying to steam line Marvelman projects into production to combat Before Watchmen.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 09:26 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i hope its Mar-Vell, but will be glad the character is back nonetheless

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 09:35 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Apparently it's Ms Marvel (according to Bleedingcool...).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03...captain-marvel/

If that's true it should be Major Marvel, that's her military rank I think... Captain Marvel is a demotion. lol

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Mar 12th, 2012 at 09:39 PM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 09:36 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

If it's Carol, that is some shamelessly misleading advertising there.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 09:55 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

From the Secret Avengers cover I thought it was going to be Hulking taking up the mantle

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/asset...06ecf9af8d0.jpg

"SECRET AVENGERS #27
RICK REMENDER (w) • RENATO GUEDES (A)
Cover by ALAN DAVIS
• AVX TIE-IN!
• Captain Marvel reborn to unite all Kree!
• Captain Marvel, The Protector and Ms. Marvel vs The Avengers!
• Who is Minister Marvel and why has he drawn the Phoenix to the Kree homeworld?"

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 09:58 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
If it's Carol, that is some shamelessly misleading advertising there.

True enough, but Marvel doesn't have any on goings anchored by a female lead right now (X-23 and Ghost Rider are ending), so we can expect a few new ones to pop up soon. They've tried Ms. Marvel a few times and it hasn't really stuck, if they wanted to push her again they'd need a gimmick, like the title Captain Marvel for instance, to get a reader push.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 10:07 PM
Facee
Lord of Pretty

I just hope it's Mar-Vell. If that happens I will be a very happy emperor.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2012 06:39 PM
Facee is currently offline Click here to Send Facee a Private Message Find more posts by Facee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

It's better to leave Mar-vell dead. Still gives him significance. And other characters seem to venture enough behind Death's veil that he continues to make appearances anyway.

If Carol is getting a new costume, that's good. The one she's had for 30+ years is pure cheesecake, with no practical meaning to the design.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 13th, 2012 07:57 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Assuming the Carol thing is legit, I gotta say I'm disappointed in Marvel. Again with the Mar-Vell teasing? C'mon. Yes, I realize that Mar-Vell's death was impactful and one of the best handled ones in Marvel. Yes, I understand a good deal of people would prefer he stay dead. But seriously, death in comics has long since been killed. So long as a character's death and revival are done well, it shouldn't matter as that's the nature of the industry. It's even been lampshaded by events such as Blackest Night and Brightest Day and Chaos War: Dead Avengers.

Back to Carol: I feel that yes, Marvel really ought to give a high profile heroine a solo book, and of those available, she's likely one of the few who can sustain a book for a long time (her previous series was pretty good).

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 06:27 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I wanted Genis, damnit!!

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 06:30 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 04:20 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vansonbee
Isee

Cool to have Ms. Marvel back on the comic lines again! She looks like Powergirl a bit here, cept the smaller racks.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 04:34 AM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

The question right now is: how the hell did this not happen before? It would seem that Carol has been the obvious choice for the title "Captain Marvel" for years now. I guess she is not kree enough?

Also the character has one of the most convoluted stories of Marvel comicdom, she has interacted with so many characters that she rivals the champions of guest-starhood such as Namor.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 06:13 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Don't like the hair style, but I love Carol. Will check this out

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 06:14 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Not a fan of the new look. At all.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 07:51 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

I agree; it isn't nearly slutty and impractical enough for a female comic character.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 07:53 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Meh, I could like the costume and look if it fit into a really great and new take on Ms. Marvel.

The pitch sounds meh though.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 04:58 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I actually like the new costume/look. embarrasment

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 05:10 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I actually like the new costume/look. embarrasment
Yeah, I sort of feel the same way, but I'm left uninspired when I read about how they want to approach the story.

Early judgements, meh. Maybe it'll be great?

Either way, I already feel more engaged in this take on Carol Danvers than what she's been sporting for the past while so hopefully it's all positive change.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2012 05:16 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote