KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Religion using science

Religion using science
Started by: Da Pittman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Religion using science

So in my last debate got me thinking of something, I tried a post search and couldn’t find it but here it is so sorry if it is a dup thread.

So most every time I get into a debate about evolution or the Bible being true historical fact comes up with the use of science to prove how old something is. Well the part that confuses me is that when the general accepted age of the Earth is 4+ billions years old which many religious people say is wrong according to the Bible and that the science and math used to come up with that age of the Earth is wrong.

However when it comes to proving that the Arc is this old, or a flood happened her or this city is this old and so on and now the math and science is perfectly good?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 01:31 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Religion using science

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Da Pittman
So in my last debate got me thinking of something, I tried a post search and couldn’t find it but here it is so sorry if it is a dup thread.

So most every time I get into a debate about evolution or the Bible being true historical fact comes up with the use of science to prove how old something is. Well the part that confuses me is that when the general accepted age of the Earth is 4+ billions years old which many religious people say is wrong according to the Bible and that the science and math used to come up with that age of the Earth is wrong.

However when it comes to proving that the Arc is this old, or a flood happened her or this city is this old and so on and now the math and science is perfectly good?

Well, the Earth IS 4.5 Billions years old and the universe is a little more than 14 billion years old. Thus sayeth some Mormons.
There is no official doctrine on evolution or creationism.

However, it is known inside the Mormon religion that knowing such things is not necessary for salvation.

If you want to read a nice artcle from a long standing Apostle in my religion, here is a compilation from Elder Henry B. Eyring.

http://eyring.hplx.net/Eyring/faq/e...eflections.html

If anything, this should show how organic Mormon's are with science. Even if the prophet and leader of the Church holds one belief on science and God, that doesn't mean it is spread as official doctrine or is accepted as offical doctrine. Some hold that this is evidence no divine nature of your leaders. Great.

Edit-I think your idea on the theists refusing to grow because science contradicts them is just plain stupid of the Theists...meaning I agree with your point. As long as the Mormons continue to be receptive to new science, I will be a Mormon.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jan 9th, 2009 at 02:43 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 02:39 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, the Earth IS 4.5 Billions years old and the universe is a little more than 14 billion years old. Thus sayeth some Mormons.
There is no official doctrine on evolution or creationism.

However, it is known inside the Mormon religion that knowing such things is not necessary for salvation.

If you want to read a nice artcle from a long standing Apostle in my religion, here is a compilation from Elder Henry B. Eyring.

http://eyring.hplx.net/Eyring/faq/e...eflections.html

If anything, this should show how organic Mormon's are with science. Even if the prophet and leader of the Church holds one belief on science and God, that doesn't mean it is spread as official doctrine or is accepted as offical doctrine. Some hold that this is evidence no divine nature of your leaders. Great.

Edit-I think your idea on the theists refusing to grow because science contradicts them is just plain stupid of the Theists...meaning I agree with your point. As long as the Mormons continue to be receptive to new science, I will be a Mormon.
Pretty good article, thanks for posting that. I do have to say that you are one of the most open minded Mormons that I have ever talked to.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 03:13 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Pretty good article, thanks for posting that. I do have to say that you are one of the most open minded Mormons that I have ever talked to.

Thanks man! big grin

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 03:37 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Religion using science

Ah, the power of intellectualization...why I find psychology so fascinating.

What I often wonder is, why do those who obviously know their science keep on debating with those who obviously don't (yet insist that their "religious" view is as legit as a scientific one)? It becomes apparent right off the bat you're not going to get anywhere, so why expend the time and energy (especially since there are those "religious" folk who debate just to screw with your mind)?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 04:07 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Mindship
Ah, the power of intellectualization...why I find psychology so fascinating.

What I often wonder is, why do those who obviously know their science keep on debating with those who obviously don't (yet insist that their "religious" view is as legit as a scientific one)? It becomes apparent right off the bat you're not going to get anywhere, so why expend the time and energy (especially since there are those "religious" folk who debate just to screw with your mind)?
Same reason that I like to shove spoons in my eyes. big grin smile wink erm no expression

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 04:58 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Same reason that I like to shove spoons in my eyes. big grin smile wink erm no expression
It hurts less than using a grapefruit knife?

btw, great avi.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 06:08 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think we finally got to your guy that was giving you a hard time with his religious science stand point.. he logged off as soon as we started pointing out all his flaws in his argument. :P

bye the bye you stole my daimond example from me in the previous page.. its cool though i dont mind.

Attachment: 88483-2590-deadpool_super.jpg
This has been downloaded 103 time(s).

Last edited by Dark Riddick on Jan 9th, 2009 at 08:40 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 08:34 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Mindship
It hurts less than using a grapefruit knife?

btw, great avi.

Or grapefruits. eek!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 08:41 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Re: Religion using science

Its called hypocrisy.

It makes them look foolish.

It makes us question their other points.

Thread solved! smile

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 09:31 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i think we finally got to your guy that was giving you a hard time with his religious science stand point.. he logged off as soon as we started pointing out all his flaws in his argument. :P

bye the bye you stole my daimond example from me in the previous page.. its cool though i dont mind.
actually, i'm kicking your ass in the other thread. Your common sense was wrong.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 09:38 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
actually, i'm kicking your ass in the other thread. Your common sense was wrong.

Only in your mind. The rest of us are scratching our heads trying to figure out how you got to such a profoundly wrong position.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 09:47 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Wild Shadow

Sorry didn't see that post, great minds think alike I guess. stick out tongue
I'm still waiting for you to post something worthwhile.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 09:49 PM
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

i posted two qoutes from your scientist and the link page that you have bn using to support your believe and you question the qoute thinking it was mine and called me a dumbass..

calling me a dumbass when it was your scientist and link page arguing against the extreme global warming.. that leads me to believe you did not read the entire artical or you dont seem to understand that your scientist you are referencing dont show the same view as you... and are calling their theories and mathematical equations as you put it "Dumbass".

there is a word called critical thinking learned it in school it is what allowed me to make a similar argument in my previous post similar to what was just mention here with the ice sheets and the equator.. take a look at my last post. i am no scientist but you can see the similar thinking and common sense at play.

Attachment: 88483-2590-deadpool_super.jpg
This has been downloaded 91 time(s).

Last edited by Dark Riddick on Jan 9th, 2009 at 09:55 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 09:52 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh and you failed to address my calculations because you don't understand basic algebra?

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:11 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

oh and you failed to address my calculations because you don't understand basic algebra?

You can't hide behind math.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:13 PM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You can't hide behind math.
because you don't understand it? when your opposition's arguement is too advanced for you, its time to concede.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:15 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

because you don't understand it? when your opposition's arguement is too advanced for you, its time to concede.

But you have not even tried to communicate your ideas. Now you are coming across as an ego maniac.

Please start over, and keep it simple. If I'm as stupid as you think I am, then you need to show your math step by step.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:19 PM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
But you have not even tried to communicate your ideas. Now you are coming across as an ego maniac.

Please start over, and keep it simple. If I'm as stupid as you think I am, then you need to show your math step by step.
fine. i will do it here. attached is the mathematics required to figure out how much the north and south poles change.
(please log in to view the image)

now just a brief estimate, but the distance between the earth of the sun according to the diagram of the orbit appears to be about 1/3 of what it is now. 1/3 of 93 million is about 31 million. now you take the "maximum difference" from the picture above and divide 31 million by it. i got 19. now take your hot temperature summer day and multiply it by that factor. 100 degree's farenheit *19= 1900 degrees when 60million miles closer to the sun.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:36 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

fine. i will do it here. attached is the mathematics required to figure out how much the north and south poles change.
(please log in to view the image)

now just a brief estimate, but the distance between the earth of the sun according to the diagram of the orbit appears to be about 1/3 of what it is now. 1/3 of 93 million is about 31 million. now you take the "maximum difference" from the picture above and divide 31 million by it. i got 19. now take your hot temperature summer day and multiply it by that factor. 100 degree's farenheit *19= 1900 degrees when 60million miles closer to the sun.

So, is that all you going to do?

Now remember, you think I'm stupid. So, you are going to have to brake it down more.

First off: Why should I believe any part of your diagram?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:42 PM