KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Unhosted Role Plays » Unhosted RP Rules/Guidelines discussion

Unhosted RP Rules/Guidelines discussion
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (53): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

I do. :Rolleyes:

Old Post Jun 27th, 2004 08:06 PM
LarryTheArch is currently offline Click here to Send LarryTheArch a Private Message Find more posts by LarryTheArch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

quote:
Originally posted by §wordpoint
I think that

1.Characters; should be allowed to kill the obstacles before them. If characters don't have the abilty to get past the bostacles before them set forth by some domineering person (E.G. someone who wants to win just for the sake of winning). So therefor, I think in rps, anythign that someone throws against another character should be able to be killed, solved, or beaten. Otherwise its not fair.

screw you matt, everybody else doesn't care what you have to say about me, because i have done nothing to them

have a nice day smile

Made by the awesome transforming Hegemon
Don't mess with The Force, because I ownz you. -The Force

Crazy Christian all over your candy arse.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2004 08:10 PM
The Force is currently offline Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yep I see your name written every toher word in there roll eyes (sarcastic) Get a grip, not everything is about you, that was taken from my experience with and summed up to something completely different.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2004 08:22 PM
LarryTheArch is currently offline Click here to Send LarryTheArch a Private Message Find more posts by LarryTheArch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

what the hell are you talking about? you make no sense, try speakin on things that are actually happening

Old Post Jun 27th, 2004 08:29 PM
The Force is currently offline Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dont call me Stormeister wink

And second of all when youve posted in my RPGs no one has replied back ...not to my knowledge.And you can continue to post in my threads I will not change me view because your being arrogant.But you wasting good time even if you just cutting and pasting from the western rpg wink

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Jun 27th, 2004 08:43 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Whoa whoa whoa... let's not turn this into a personal war.

Whilst the thread starter has normally been the creative drive behind an idea, it is probably better if there is a community consensus on how a game will be played from those who express intitial interest rather than the creator always being able to put his foot down.

That said, if in proposing an idea for a game, a person specifies that he wants original character concepts only for when this gsme starts, then anyone not prepared to do that should not be expressing interest in the game. If the game is still popular enough to be played, then that should be fine, and people trying to disrupt that can be reported.

Technically speaking there SHOULD be room for all sorts in here.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 28th, 2004 03:48 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

I tihnk I won... and lost there....

Old Post Jun 28th, 2004 08:50 PM
crAZRick
I'm God here!

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Whoa whoa whoa... let's not turn this into a personal war.

Technically speaking there SHOULD be room for all sorts in here.

USH:

You mentioned something about quality control and making rules and guidelines to govern the quality and quantity of RPs allowed to flourish here, right? And sure there is room for all sorts, but the all sorts that are being allowed right now are all sorts of the same things.. here's the break-down as I counted it, hopefully you can see it clearer here then it is listed on the Front Page of this Forum.

There's space for 50 posts on the page.
Of those 50 posts, there are something like 36 games, and various Registration threads and a few closed or dead threads.

of those games approved and allowed, 4 are high school high RPs!!
all started since October!

Degrassi High: started by: iluvjohnnydepp start date: 10/11/2003
Cuddle Valley High: Captain Claudia start date: 1/18/2004
Sunny Day Valley High: started by: Stormy Day start date: 6/9/04
Sweet Sixteen (Junior) High: FROST start date: 6/10/2004

ok sure the board is populated by teenagers, all with their own ideas of how life in high school goes... still, it's just more classes, lunch, dating, dancing, breaking up, not necessarily in that order, but it's all the same, so could be crammed into ONE SINGLE MASSIVELY MULTI-PLAYER RP rather than the 4, 1 started every couple months, and 2 started what 2 whole days after the real life school year ended? Summer vacation starts (in US any way) so what's a kid to do? go home and RP high school highjinks in 4 separate, so called 'original' high-school high RPs! YAY!!

then, there comes the
Real World

maybe older teens and tweens, not in school, living life in 'the real world'... it's a step toward something original, so Good Job!!

brings us to more TV-show related RPs

Digimon
Rurouni Kenshin (I didnt do research and don't know what this is exactly, so just stuck it here on a guess...)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer -- Buffy leads to other Buffy/Vampire-related stuff

End to the Slayer
Vampire RPG

and more super-hero stuff

Smallville
Spiderman
Super Heroes- in case Spiderman and Superman want to meet up and adventure together, or something...
Future of the X-Men- more X-Men
Real Life Mutants- and more more X-Men but not called X-Men

leads to video game stuff...

Final Fantasy XI, ElmStreetFan01, start date 7/29/03
Final Fantasy X, DBZFan, start date 1/5/2004
Final Fantasy!!!and Kingdon Hearts, 2x2 Eyes, start date 4/24/2004

3 Final Fantasy based games, just as redundant as 4 high school based games, no?? well one less redundant, but you know what I mean??

I know, I know, different characters, different players, different storyline entirely, etc etc...

and XI (#11) was started 6 months before X (#10) how can #11 be allowed to start BEFORE the one before it?!? just an observation...

more video-game based RP

Halo
Resident Evil

and then to the movie-based stuff

Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence (Hellboy)
Day After Tomorrow
Pirates of the Caribbean
Hellsing’s Exile (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)
Halloween
Final Destination 3
Return of the Living Dead 4
Nightmare on Elm Street 8

normal movie stuff leads to 4 Harry Potter-based RPs

new harry potter
the Marauders
Adult Harry Potter
Yule Ball

and finally to the true 'originals' as far as I could tell..
unfortunately, there are only 4 of those too...

Ghost Notes--hitmen for hire, cool

Western-- cowboys and indians, cool

October Theory-- be the band, could be cool as long as it doesn't degenerate into another high school high drama fest

God’s Legends-- god's legends, self-explanatory, possibly cool as long as it doesn't degenerate to a Pokemon meets Buffy meets Harry Potter sort of mish-mash mix and match hodge-podge might and magic retread...

so, of all those 30+ games that have been approved and unleashed just on the front page, the most active played games at this time, according to my settings, there are what, maybe 10 'original' ideas, and probably 20 rip-offs, sequels, copies of copies, or continuations of movie series and sequels...

all that were approved and allowed by the mod-god in charge.
I dunno much about this sort of thing, but seems sorta obvious how to 'control' such a thing as quantity and quality in almost all these cases.

Am I missing something, over-simplifying, or something?

I don't know, to take this to PM or let it air out here in public, so all can read and relate and understand, so I just let it rip here, for all y'all to digest...

there should be more involved in allowing a game to be started then 'hey I got 5 people, can I start another Harry Potter and Buffy meet Pokemon in modern day high-school RP??'

Even just something as simple as mod-god setting your personal settings to view the pages in order of most recent posts posted, then scanning down the first front page and reviewing just how many identical or similar games of the same type have been started within the last 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months... along with just how many players have shown and are still showing interest in those previously started threads, and how many posts and pages of posts each RP has generated over however much time the game has gone on... and, if there are already 17 RPs of similar nature started, DON'T allow another, and simply suggest that the 'new idea' wannaber checks out some of the other 17 threads...

wouldn't that be a simple quality and quantity control measure?
and a good rule or guideline to include in the sticky post?

'IF THERE ARE 37 IDEAS SIMILAR TO YOUR 'ORIGINAL ONE, DON'T EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO START YOURS'

I dunno...

talk amongst yourselves...

'I'm back!'
'Come with me if you want to live!'
'You're terminated!'

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 05:34 AM
crAZRick is currently offline Click here to Send crAZRick a Private Message Find more posts by crAZRick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

SlickRick no matter how long your post are and no matter what you think if people want more HighSchool RPGs there gonna make em roll eyes (sarcastic) .Even Ush cant stop what people want.If somebody wants to make an RPG of any kind and people start joining its not gonna be closed so what the use in arguing SlickRick if its not gonna change anything roll eyes (sarcastic).And how could even bring up Sunny Day Valley and Cuddle Valley High those are two successful threads that people like to play.

That was a very therol essay tho and I give it an ehh.. B- smile

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:28 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crAZRick
I'm God here!

that would be too bad, if not even Ush could stop it, what people want, people get here... hopefully, you are wrong about that, Stormeister.

let's look at the cast of characters from those 2 successful, popular high school high RPs, shall we??

ElmStreetFan: Rowan Langenkamp,
Pyromaniac: Mika Morpheus Alistar Darke,
Captain Claudia: Katherine, Seth
DIBWILLPAY: Allor Anttisdottir,
Darth Revan: Derek Nix,
VallejoKid707: Theo Valencia,
FROST: Eddi Darkhart

Stormy Day: Stormeister,
Beyond Batman: Kyle,
Spaz Gurl: Tammy Jameson,
HeathLedgerGirl: Makenzie Ledger
Captain Claudia: Alexa Luka ,
Darth Revan: Serj Moldovan,
DIBWILLPAY: Gunna Aalto,
VallejoKid707: Romeo del Rosario,
FROST: Edward (Eddy) Darkhart,

see what I see? let me make it more clear, in case you missed it...

Captain Claudia
DIBWILLPAY
Darth Revan
VallejoKid707
FROST

Captain Claudia
Darth Revan
DIBWILLPAY
VallejoKid707
FROST

It's the same cast of players, basically identical high school high drama RP!

if these players

Stormy Day
Beyond Batman
Spaz Gurl
HeathLedgerGirl

had simply joined Cuddle Valley 5 months after it had started in January, rather than starting an all new rehash version of Cuddle Valley, called Sunny Day Valley, in June, it would be the same high school high dramas, but one less thread, thereby controlling quantity and quality all at once...

thats the kind of quality control a mod-god does have, and should use, if they really want to maintain 'quality control' and establish some basic guidelines for RPs here. right?

look,Stormeister, you proved my point about cardboard cut out characters ruining decent RPs, driving players away...

you even changed your name after I called you that repeatedly,

you changed your mind because of an outside influence

for better or worse, things can be changed because someone has an idea how to go in and make and apply changes to the already-established way of doing things, not by starting a brand new thread and rehashing all the same old same old used up ideas...

that's all I'm saying, about the rules and guidelines and what should be allowed and approved, quality and quantity control...

'I'm back!'
'You're terminated!'

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 07:05 PM
crAZRick is currently offline Click here to Send crAZRick a Private Message Find more posts by crAZRick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jesus, slickrick you seem to never post anything under a half-paragraph.

But strmeister, it doesn't amtter how long (Even they are the size of short stories) are, because they have a point, and you really need tos top ignoring that point or else you'll never learn. thumb up

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 09:10 PM
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Stormeister
SlickRick no matter how long your post are and no matter what you think if people want more HighSchool RPGs there gonna make em roll eyes (sarcastic) .Even Ush cant stop what people want.If somebody wants to make an RPG of any kind and people start joining its not gonna be closed so what the use in arguing SlickRick if its not gonna change anything roll eyes (sarcastic).And how could even bring up Sunny Day Valley and Cuddle Valley High those are two successful threads that people like to play.

That was a very therol essay tho and I give it an ehh.. B- smile

Actually he can. By closing the thread after they make it thumb up roll eyes (sarcastic)

no amount of eye-rolling or smiling si goign to change that.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 09:15 PM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol he cant if people start registrating for the RPG Ush isnt going to close it or else he get bad PMs from the people who where interested roll eyes (sarcastic)

SlickRick,Just ask the people if they like what there playing then youll see how wrong you are

p.s. stormeister was kindof catchy

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 09:27 PM
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Again you are wrong. It is needed to prevent these carbon-cloned threads from popping up every two days from the same annoying newbies oer and voer again.

I sujjest something... a thread that lists all the currently active roleplays (active meaning after a week of no posting its no longer active)

Sure it would be hard to maintain, but noobies and toher people would know what had already been made and would prevent them from making it. And if they do, just close it. thumb up

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 09:37 PM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dont you hate it when you wanna join and RPG but everything is already so full but then something good comes along that you can join and have fun with? just a thought.

Hey why is Holy Man on your moron list?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 07:19 AM
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dotn change subjects on me now. miffed:

No I don't hate it. It's enver to full, because its not real, and everyone can make room. There is always enough room roll eyes (sarcastic) That "good thing that comes along" ruins the oringiality of the other "full" one, and makes it so that fewer, and fewer people want to play either becasue it becomes stale and boring.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 10:54 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, let me make something clear.

I am NOT going to veto ideas that people want to play because of any opinion *I* have on the subject. I am not picking and choosing what does and does not get played. The approval system is NOT a form of quality control. It has one purpose only- to stop people opening threads that no-one wants to play.

So if someone has an idea and people want to play it, it WILL be approved, no matter how crap other people think it is, or how repetitive. If people want to play it, that is ALL I am interested in, ok?

I hope people understand that, because that is not changing under any circumstances, and if you do not like it, feel free to move on elsewhere. This area is an open area and anything that is popular and legal will be played.

Slickrick- frankly, your ideas are pretty naive. If we force new arrivals in an area to join existing games, chances are they just won't play. New posters setting up their own game is the main way people get into this kind of thing, and part of the point of this area is to accomodate that. If that means things seem a little repetitive- tough. It so happens I do talk with people who PM me ideas that already exist in the area on the same subject about whether it is worth it but I am not willing to do more than that.

So clearly some people have the wrong idea about what this area is for- and if I only get suggestions like the above from now on, I am minded to close this and give up on the exercise. It is becoming mainly an excuse to lay heaps of criticism on other players and I am not interested in that kind of thing in this thread.

I want ideas on community self-improvement, not a critique of the basic way this section is run, because that is not changing.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 30th, 2004 at 11:08 AM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 11:05 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

quote:
Originally posted by Stormeister
Dont you hate it when you wanna join and RPG but everything is already so full but then something good comes along that you can join and have fun with? just a thought.

Hey why is Holy Man on your moron list?

i don't know roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 03:35 PM
crAZRick
I'm God here!

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Ok, let me make something clear.

Slickrick- frankly, your ideas are pretty naive.

do you mean naive as in
naive adjective(1) marked by unaffected simplicity, natural

OK, I agree... my ideas are simple and natural assumptions on ways to improve quality control here, in response to your questions posed to the entire community...

or

(2)a deficient in worldy wisdom or informed judgment

hmmm... not so sure about that one, I was using the entire thread, globally, and all the wisdom the entire Unhosted Forum information offered me to make my judgment

or

(2)b not previously subjected to experimentation or a particular experimental situation

I'll give you that one, but only because I haven't seen these ideas tested and experimented on by you, the mod-god mayor in residence...

quote:
If we force new arrivals in an area to join existing games, chances are they just won't play. New posters setting up their own game is the main way people get into this kind of thing, and part of the point of this area is to accomodate that. If that means things seem a little repetitive- tough.

So you are talking quality control with apparently no understanding of the connection between quantity and quality control... and you call me naive???

New posters don't bother to investigate and explore before they have a 'new idea', drop the idea in the Ideas thread, it gets noticed by vets, who say hmm haven't posted to a new high-school high RP in about 10 minutes so lets try it... the new poster gets high and settles in, thinking their idea is da bomb, then wonders why nobody else thought of that idea before, THEN explores a bit, having developed their point-and-click skills to the necessary degree, they find 4 or 8 other similar threads already running, and decide then that their idea was not so great, so THE STARTER of the NEW THREAD goes away to pout about their 'failure' leaving the 5-RP JUNKIE VETS to play thru the retread thread... this is the quality control you are talking about? seems, I dunno... backward thinking to me... but, then again, I'm naive...

quote:
I want ideas on community self-improvement, not a critique of the basic way this section is run, because that is not changing.

How about planting some trees and flowers along the boulevards? (metaphorically speaking, there are so few sturdy trees and pretty flowers here as it is...)

...cleaning up the garbage and the carrion that litter the back alleys (again, metaphorically at least 2 pages worth of that sort of thing.. and since its not about quantity, and the odds that any new posters will ever be inspired or reminded or suggested to wander down the dead dark alleys of posts past 2 months old, close em all??) KEEP UNHOSTED KMC BEAUTIFUL!!

... shutting down some schools?? dealing with the mutant menace??

...shutting down smut shops, porn peddlers, crack houses, and brothels?

...how about teaching our children/posters to READ and WRITE?

...organizing a community sing along or prayer meeting??

...re-striping the lines on the pavement?

... opening a few more parks and other fluff-factories in the forum??

(you can figure metaphors for any or all of those little gems, if you can)

... electing a new mayor? self-improvement, (and self-importance) begins with self...

sorry, maybe you have a different definition of 'community' too?? well, community is a huge paragraph of definition, and I know all y'all in this community hate reading/writing huge paragraphs, so I'll summarize by saying it's a group effort, a team of like-minded goal-oriented folk gathered, living and working together, sharing original ideas, learning and growing as a whole, together...

sharing, learning, growing.. together...
what an original concept! (which is why it probably won't work here for long...)

closing

CLOSED!

'I'm back!'
'You're terminated!'

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 08:05 PM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hmmm slickrick not point in arguing the MOD has spoken roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 30th, 2004 09:01 PM