KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey

Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's not that un-PC, plenty of people hate it.

The only un-PC thing to do is to not like people because they like it, which has been seen on these boards before.

Yes, HAL does play chess in 2001 (beating Frank Poole with little difficulty, though sounding apologetic about it); he is 'infallibly' intelligent- however, there is debate in the storyline as to whether he is alive or not (he is interviewed by the BBC, and the interviewer beforehand says that some people thinks he mimics rather than acts).

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Monolith thinks he is alive though

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 21st, 2005 12:11 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

im ...afraid dave
a computer thats afraid?!

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Feb 21st, 2005 01:55 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Could be mimiced, though. You can programme a computer to seem like it was afraid. Kubrick leaves it open.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 21st, 2005 05:07 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yes, HAL does play chess in 2001 (beating Frank Poole with little difficulty, though sounding apologetic about it); he is 'infallibly' intelligent- however, there is debate in the storyline as to whether he is alive or not (he is interviewed by the BBC, and the interviewer beforehand says that some people thinks he mimics rather than acts).

Thanx for answering my question. Do you know if he was smarter than the computer from 'War Games'? And do you know what other programs or how many programs he was able to run?

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Feb 21st, 2005 08:45 PM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

has anyone saw the sequel?
ive heard it is pretty good
is it worth seeing?

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Feb 21st, 2005 10:01 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

^^You're talking about 2010 right? When did that one actually come out?
And was it a theatrical release or str8 to DVD?

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 01:19 AM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

not sure when it come out
in the 80's i think

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 03:27 AM
PIZZA WARRIOR

quote:
Originally posted by dean7879
i just about coped with the slow pace
im still puzzled at the special effects in the film

Well, this was more of a look into the future than sci-fi.

Kubrick was always very deliberate, and very detailed, which exlained the slow pacing.

By the way, though he was wrong with some of the dates, he was pretty damn accurate about his vision of the future.

Can't wait to get to the moon, and Jupiter !!!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 11:33 AM
PIZZA WARRIOR is currently offline Click here to Send PIZZA WARRIOR a Private Message Find more posts by PIZZA WARRIOR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PIZZA WARRIOR

quote:
not sure when it come out
in the 80's i think

Wrong, it was made in 1968, which makes this film all the more remarkable.

By the way, this movie was a favorite of the astronauts, becuase Kubrick got it right about spaceflight.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 11:35 AM
PIZZA WARRIOR is currently offline Click here to Send PIZZA WARRIOR a Private Message Find more posts by PIZZA WARRIOR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PIZZA WARRIOR

quote:
Originally posted by RZA
^^You're talking about 2010 right? When did that one actually come out?
And was it a theatrical release or str8 to DVD?

OOPS, SORRY !!!

Didn't keep track here.

You're right 2010 came out in the 1980's.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 11:37 AM
PIZZA WARRIOR

quote:
has anyone saw the sequel?
ive heard it is pretty good
is it worth seeing?

Excellent, though not as deep as the original.

Did a good job of tying up the whole story.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 11:38 AM
Deano

cool...i'll try and get my hands on it if i can

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 05:11 PM
RZA
Shaolin Monk

Hey Pizza guy..er..dude...er...Warrior, sorry couldn't remember name, Do you know if HAL was smarter than the computer from 'War Games'? And do you know what other programs or how many programs he was able to run? What was his primary function or programming, Space flight?

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2005 11:46 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by PIZZA WARRIOR
Wrong, it was made in 1968, which makes this film all the more remarkable.

By the way, this movie was a favorite of the astronauts, becuase Kubrick got it right about spaceflight.

Well, he got a lot of things right, but he wasn't universal; astronauts tend to be very picky in that regard.

2010 is... ok. Too much chat, too much narration, too much bad use of music, too happy an ending (different from the book) and ironically it dated faster than the original (because the Cold War vibe is overplayed). But well made, the sets have been re-created perfectly, and as a story in its own right it is not bad.

Of course, if you don't like the way Kubrick does films, being so much more mainstream you would probably prefer 2010.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 11:32 AM
Deano

big grin

Old Post Feb 28th, 2005 02:46 PM
RZA
Shaolin Monk

^^Nice smilie

Btw, can someone please answer my question? sad

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 12:02 AM
Deano

HAL:
Capacity to understand natural languages: natural language processing.

Facility with logic: expert systems and logic programs.

Visual ability to understand what it is seeing: neural networks for image processing.

Ability to monitor and control the spaceship: robotics.

i have no idea about the computer from war games

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 01:09 AM
OB1-adobe

I actually like 2010 better.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 03:58 AM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

quote:
HAL:
Capacity to understand natural languages: natural language processing.

Facility with logic: expert systems and logic programs.

Visual ability to understand what it is seeing: neural networks for image processing.

Ability to monitor and control the spaceship: robotics.

i have no idea about the computer from war games

Thanx, good show lad thumb up

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 06:12 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He's way past the War Games comp, to be honest.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 06:51 PM