KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Slayer

Slayer
Started by: Rob Owns You

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rob Owns You
Ok now proove the fact that he's average. You cant have a fact without proof

It's general consensus of guitarists. There are tons who are better, and there are tons who are worse. He's in the middle, making him average. I'm still surprised that so many people don't know this.

Whatever, I'm sure you could call this opinion, but it's a well founded opinion. Simple story, do your reading instead of accepting general consensus. When you read up on things, you tend to be more educated on something than the crowd that just says "Yeah, I agree!"

This sig was brought to you buy CorderaMitchell and Piggle. Blame them.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 06:36 AM
RagnaViper is currently offline Click here to Send RagnaViper a Private Message Find more posts by RagnaViper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pantera
< insert random comment >

Basically I could give a shit less if everybody else thinks that he sucks, I would still like him because In my opinion he's a good guitarist

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 06:49 AM
Pantera is currently offline Click here to Send Pantera a Private Message Find more posts by Pantera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

Originally posted by RagnaViper
It's general consensus of guitarists. There are tons who are better, and there are tons who are worse. He's in the middle, making him average. I'm still surprised that so many people don't know this.

Whatever, I'm sure you could call this opinion, but it's a well founded opinion. Simple story, do your reading instead of accepting general consensus. When you read up on things, you tend to be more educated on something than the crowd that just says "Yeah, I agree!"

Psssh. He's come up with more great songs and riffs than most of these elitist fools who think that unless you're busting out 20 minute solos on every track you're ''average'' could ever wish to in their wildest dreams.

He makes great music, so he's a great guitarist. Maybe not technically, but technicalities are not what music, or any other art form for that matter, is about.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 10:45 AM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by Rob Owns You
Ok now proove the fact that he's average. You cant have a fact without proof

He can't.

Whatever, I'm sure you could call this opinion, but it's a well founded opinion.

Opinion isn't fact, regardless. I think Kerry King's above average, and Jeff Hanneman is FANTASTIC. Besides, it's Hanneman that writes all of he and King's riffs.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 01:47 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

slayer are ok but in all honesty, they dont yank my crank so to speak. in small doses, their fine, but i dont think i could listen to them for more too long

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 02:08 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
He can't.

Opinion isn't fact, regardless. I think Kerry King's above average, and Jeff Hanneman is FANTASTIC. Besides, it's Hanneman that writes all of he and King's riffs.

Well at least we agree on one thing. Jeff Hanneman is an excellent guitarist.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 08:19 PM
RagnaViper is currently offline Click here to Send RagnaViper a Private Message Find more posts by RagnaViper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm convinced Slayer can do no wrong. Easliy by thousands of miles my favorite band.

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 07:15 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kerry King (according to popular belief): F**king awesome!
Kerry King (according to FACT): Average

Meaning: Kerry King sucks.

Cooked and done.

Can I ask with what scientific devices you made this leap? By leap I mean "He's average" (Seconds later) "He sucks".

Just curious.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 10:00 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Can I ask with what scientific devices you made this leap? By leap I mean "He's average" (Seconds later) "He sucks".

Just curious.

-AC

Ugh. I did explain this elsewhere. The fact of the matter is that Kerry King is an average lead guitarist, but people think that he's awesome. He's not. That gap makes me say he sucks. Simple as that.

Confusing? Thought so.

Anyway, here's my full uncut opinion on Slayer. Overrated crap with a good drummer. Seriously, Lombardo's the only thing holding the band against the wave of better thrash bands such as Kreator. Kerry King is an average guitarist. Plus, he sucks at life. Then again, I'm actually glad he left Megadeth. That way we got Chris Poland and the godly Marty Friedman. So, I'm dropping my issue with Kerry. ^_^

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 07:49 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not a good one at making reasonably correlated and established ideas it seems.

I don't care what you think of him, that's up to you. Just seemed very illogical and a bit silly to go from being average to sucking in about a second.

You let what people think and do bother you too much it seems.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 07:55 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

Not a good one at making reasonably correlated and established ideas it seems.

I don't care what you think of him, that's up to you. Just seemed very illogical and a bit silly to go from being average to sucking in about a second.

You let what people think and do bother you too much it seems.

-AC

I don't think you understand what I said. I've had the same opinion of Kerry for a long time. I believe he sucks (opinion) and that he's an average guitarist (fact).

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 07:59 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I assumed we were speaking solely about musical ability.

Apparantly not.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 08:06 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Anyway, here's my full uncut opinion on Slayer. Overrated crap with a good drummer. Seriously, Lombardo's the only thing holding the band against the wave of better thrash bands such as Kreator. Kerry King is an average guitarist. Plus, he sucks at life. Then again, I'm actually glad he left Megadeth. That way we got Chris Poland and the godly Marty Friedman. So, I'm dropping my issue with Kerry. ^_^

King only played with Megadeth in a handful of live shows, that is, before he and Hanneman CREATED thrash metal with this little band named Slayer...

..who have yet to release the kiss of death for metal bands, a greatest hits album.

I assumed we were speaking solely about musical ability.

Apparantly not.

-AC

Don't even bother. I've been down this road before. People's bias cloud their ability to recognize and respect innovation.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 01:27 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Short story for Slayer: Kerry King = Sucks
For the most part, yeah.

Anyway, slayer are slayer, can't really say anything bad about them. Stuck to their guns as their 3 peers went more mainstream. The only thing that really bugs me is the lack of diversity in their musicianship.

SITA is my fav.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 10:05 AM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

Originally posted by Deathblow
Psssh. He's come up with more great songs and riffs than most of these elitist fools who think that unless you're busting out 20 minute solos on every track you're ''average'' could ever wish to in their wildest dreams.
Uhh, you do know that jeff write the majority of the songs/riffs, right?
quote:
He makes great music, so he's a great guitarist. Maybe not technically, but technicalities are not what music, or any other art form for that matter, is about.
He didn't say it was, he WAS talking about his technical ability.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 10:08 AM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
King only played with Megadeth in a handful of live shows, that is, before he and Hanneman CREATED thrash metal with this little band named Slayer...
Huh? You DO know that bands such as anthrax, exodus, metallica, venom, tank etc...were playing thrash/thrash type before slayer, right?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 10:11 AM
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exodus and Anthrax werent Around before Slayer. And Venom and Slayer Both Basically Inspired Extreme Metal, Just slayer were more influential.

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 10:14 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

Originally posted by SlipknoT
Exodus and Anthrax werent Around before Slayer. And Venom and Slayer Both Basically Inspired Extreme Metal, Just slayer were more influential.
Come on kid, at least get your info right before posting. Exodus formed in 1981, shortly after the first incarnation of metallica did. Anthrax also formed in late '81 early '82 on the other side of the country. Slayer's first show of note was in march of '82

While slayer certainly did influence extreme/death metal more than venom, that was never my point. The other guy said slayer created thrash, which is simply untrue.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 11:43 AM
jks

Oh yeah, the new exodus cd is badass, get it when it comes out.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 12:01 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by jks
Huh? You DO know that bands such as anthrax, exodus, metallica, venom, tank etc...were playing thrash/thrash type before slayer, right?

Anthrax's first album was released in 1984, and was more speed metal/punk influenced more than anything. Not a thrash metal innovator. Exodus formed the same time as Slayer, and didn't even put an album out before Slayer had 3, including a live record. Nothing there either. Metallica, neither. Venom, I credit with, creating BLACK metal, not so much thrash metal.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 01:33 PM