KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Slayer

Slayer
Started by: Rob Owns You

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RocasAtoll

Slayer is great. IMO one of the best bands I've heard.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 02:42 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

JKS, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about do you? Realistically.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 04:03 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Anthrax's first album was released in 1984, and was more speed metal/punk influenced more than anything. Not a thrash metal innovator. Exodus formed the same time as Slayer, and didn't even put an album out before Slayer had 3, including a live record. Nothing there either. Metallica, neither. Venom, I credit with, creating BLACK metal, not so much thrash metal.
No one said anything about when their first albums were released, we're talking about when they FORMED and started playing wink

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:18 PM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well in that case, none of the bands formed thrash metal in their garages did they?

Let's be honest.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:22 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
JKS, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about do you? Realistically.

-AC
LMAO!

You amuse me. You do nothing but say "ur teh wrongorz" over and over and over and over. *YAWN

Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:22 PM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
You amuse me. You do nothing but say "ur teh wrongorz" over and over and over and over. *YAWN

Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that.

A) I've never actually said that.

B) You base the second comment on what?

I'll await your retort. Sure it'll be hilarious.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:29 PM
jks

Well in that case, none of the bands formed thrash metal in their garages did they?

Let's be honest.

-AC
Uhhh yeah...Do you actually know anything on the subject?
Thrash was born out of bands basically playing covers of bands like maiden, priest, sabbath etc... and also covers from punk bands and they justended up fusing the musicianship of nwobhm bands with the sppeed and attitude of punk bands.

Metallica is widely considered to be the first true thrash band, despite bands like venom and tank who had thrash elements to their music. Exodus formed shortly after up in SF and slayer soon followed in huntington park.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:29 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Uhhh yeah...Do you actually know anything on the subject?
Thrash was born out of bands basically playing covers of bands like maiden, priest, sabbath etc... and also covers from punk bands and they justended up fusing the musicianship of nwobhm bands with the sppeed and attitude of punk bands.

Yes, but the true definition of what thrash metal is wasn't formed when they were doing covers, was it? Because thrash metal wasn't born from covers.

Thrash metal was born when the people who aspired to do something different started recording their own songs in their own styles. Hence their albums, aka what Cine was referring to.

Originally posted by jks
Metallica is widely considered to be the first true thrash band, despite bands like venom and tank who had thrash elements to their music. Exodus formed shortly after up in SF and slayer soon followed in huntington park.

Yes.

Where does this disprove what I've said?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:32 PM
jks

A) I've never actually said that.
Of course not, not even you would be dumb enough to say "ur teh wrongorz", but you do keep implying that.

quote:
B) You base the second comment on what?
The fact that I continually display more knowledge than you.

quote:
I'll await your retort. Sure it'll be hilarious.

-AC
And I'll await your next reply telling me how wrong I am. LMAO

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:33 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Of course not, not even you would be dumb enough to say "ur teh wrongorz", but you do keep implying that.

You're the only one saying it, so what does that tell us?

Originally posted by jks
The fact that I continually display more knowledge than you.

We've talked about Slayer.

That's it. Again: What do you base the previous "Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that." on?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:35 PM
jks

Yes, but the true definition of what thrash metal is wasn't formed when they were doing covers, was it? Because thrash metal wasn't born from covers.
Of course it was. Like a said, those bands played those covers from those two genres and they ended up fusing them

quote:
Thrash metal was born when the people who aspired to do something different started recording their own songs in their own styles. Hence their albums, aka what Cine was referring to.[quote]Which is naturally the second step in the progression. If they don't play those covers from those 2 very different genres, they don't become fused into what will become thrash.

[quote]Yes.

Where does this disprove what I've said?

-AC
You said thrash wasn't formed in their garages, metallica for one is notorious for being a "garage" band.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:38 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Of course it was. Like a said, those bands played those covers from those two genres and they ended up fusing them

....on their albums. With their own songs. Which is, as I just said, when true thrash metal was born. It wasn't "born" until then, it may have been conceived, but not "born" because it wasn't an independant genre or sound yet.

Originally posted by jks
You said thrash wasn't formed in their garages, metallica for one is notorious for being a "garage" band.

Read what I said.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:40 PM
jks

You're the only one saying it, so what does that tell us?
It tells us you are too daft to recognize how your posts can be summarized like that.

quote:
We've talked about Slayer.

That's it.
And thrash. And guitar playing ability.....
quote:
Again: What do you base the previous "Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that." on?

-AC
Again, because I have displayed more knowledge in the posts than you.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:41 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
It tells us you are too daft to recognize how your posts can be summarized like that.

No, it tells us that you're dumb enough to say it, despite saying I am. Moving on...

Originally posted by jks
And thrash. And guitar playing ability.....

Yes, so why does that show that: "Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that." What are you basing that on? Let's see:

Originally posted by jks
Again, because I have displayed more knowledge in the posts than you.

I'm still waiting for your reasoning behind claiming that you know more bands than I do, despite us only ever discussing one band and one "genre".

Here's what you said: "Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that."

How could you possibly believe you are aware of the extent of my knowledge considering the one subject overall that we've discussed?

Waiting.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:44 PM
jks

....on their albums. With their own songs. Which is, as I just said, when true thrash metal was born. It wasn't "born" until then, it may have been conceived, but not "born" because it wasn't an independant genre or sound yet.
Metallica started in 1981 and recorded various covers and demos of original meterial. Their first live show was on march 27, 1982. They played 6 songs, 3 originals and 3 covers. Their first album wouldn'r be released for another full year

quote:
Read what I said.

-AC
Read what I said wink

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:46 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Metallica started in 1981 and recorded various covers and demos of original meterial. Their first live show was on march 27, 1982. They played 6 songs, 3 originals and 3 covers. Their first album wouldn'r be released for another full year

Exactly. Which songs were the thrash metal ones? The original ones, weren't they? Wanna tell the audience what songs they play? Originals? I'm sure we both know.

Better yet? What was the first ORIGINAL song Metallica ever wrote and recorded? Hit the Lights? Yes.

Where did that end up? Oh yeah, on Kill 'Em All. Their debut ALBUM.

Step away.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:49 PM
jks

No, it tells us that you're dumb enough to say it, despite saying I am. Moving on...
No it tells us you're too stupid to realize that it sums up your posts and your
"elite" attitude perfectly. Moving on.....

quote:
Yes, so why does that show that: "Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that." What are you basing that on? Let's see:

I'm still waiting for your reasoning behind claiming that you know more bands than I do, despite us only ever discussing one band and one "genre".
The posts speak for themselves. I'm posting about the history of the genre, what happened in the early 80's and how it all started. You're posting what you [b]think
had to happen.

quote:
Here's what you said: "Just because I have forgotten more about metal music/bands than you will ever know is no reason to embarrass yourself like that."

How could you possibly believe you are aware of the extent of my knowledge considering the one subject overall that we've discussed?

Waiting.
Because you have yet to post anything that would let anyone know you have any knowledge greater than what you read on the internet. I am still waiting for YOU to display said knowledge rather than resort to your tried and true tactic of changing the aargument.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:51 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by jks
"elite" attitude perfectly.

Would you say it's akin to the attitude of the fictional character Alan Partridge?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:56 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
"elite" attitude perfectly. Moving on.....

The issue was that stupid internet slang line that you associated with me. You're the only one saying it.

Originally posted by jks
The posts speak for themselves. I'm posting about the history of the genre, what happened in the early 80's and how it all started. You're posting what you think had to happen.

Considering we're about to see me prove you blindingly wrong, when you reply to my other post, you're wrong there also.

How does this show that you know more bands than me though? It doesn't.

Originally posted by jks
Because you have yet to post anything that would let anyone know you have any knowledge greater than what you read on the internet. I am still waiting for YOU to display said knowledge rather than resort to your tried and true tactic of changing the aargument.

Why would I start showing off knowledge of all the bands I know in a thread discussing Slayer and thrash metal? That's what idiots do. Me? I like to stay on topic.

If you'd like to believe I read what I know on the net, to make yourself feel better, go for it. You're wrong and you've been "spanked."

Next time, reply all at once, let's not have two different discussions in one thread.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:56 PM
jks

Exactly. Which songs were the thrash metal ones? The original ones, weren't they? Wanna tell the audience what songs they play? Originals? I'm sure we both know.

Better yet? What was the first ORIGINAL song Metallica ever wrote and recorded? Hit the Lights? Yes.

Where did that end up? Oh yeah, on Kill 'Em All. Their debut ALBUM.

Step away.

-AC
Good lord, you really are clueless. It's ok, I understand. Ok, do you even know what their setlist was? Do you know how similar in style hit the lights is to a song called "set the stage alight" by a band called weapon? Seriously, download it if you can find it. Hit the lights can damn near be called a cover of that song, and hit the lights is considered to be the first "true thrash" song, so with them being almost identical, what does THAT tell us?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 06:58 PM