KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » The Ashes and the Rugby World Cup its great to be English

The Ashes and the Rugby World Cup its great to be English
Started by: Princess Diana

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Having played both sports I have to say, though rugby takes a little more endurance, the level of athletic ability, skill, strength and speed needed to successfully play American football dwarfs that of rugby.

When people criticise the use of pads and helmets (thereby making it easier or wussy) they are showing a lack of knowledge about the game and sports in general.

American Football players are (on average) much larger and stronger than their rugby counterparts. Football is also a sport that is playe with the participant often in full sprint and the collisions of two players in a full sprint is far more brutal than most rugby tackles.

Unfortunately, the addition of helmets and pads has seemed to reduce the player's thoughts of self preservation, and now hit with abandon without personal regard to injury.

I disagree having seen how Canadians play rugby I understand your point of view though.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:06 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Originally posted by Princess Diana
eh no - in America perhaps but not the rest of the world where after real non american football - it is the big show. The Rugby World Cup has teams from more than one country - pretty weird huh confused

Lol please..a retard could play Rugby. It involves no skill whatsoever. I have played it before..dont believe the hype about the "sport" folks.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:14 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

They put a ridiculous amount of padding on to play a softer version of Rugby league, the players only play about ten minutes each and the game is divided into quarters for advertising.
They use a large leather glove to catch a softer ball than a cricket ball, in a game of rounders!
They turn Football (real football) into a girls game.
WTF is a time out

No one else plays these games - why?

Its obvious, because they are rubbish!

No wonder the US are champs at them all!

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen on the KMC forums. American football players can be upwards of 320 pounds and still run a 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds. (Hint: A lot faster than you.) It'd be like being hit with a freight train if there were no padding.

I agree Rugby, is a tough sport, but many of the players are physically inferior to average NFL players. Let's face it, a lot of the rugby guys don't have the combination of size, strength, and speed needed to compete in the NFL. If you've never played football with padding, you have no right to talk about it. You probably don't realize how hot and taxing the padding makes playing the actual game. Buy a football helmet (forget the pads for now), and try running sprints in it on a hot day. It'll be an eye opener.

Calling it "girling" it up is ludicrous.

Why don't they play it in countries like Ethiopia? Well, pads are expensive. That, and there is no established history of the sport in that country like there is in the U.S.

Knocking baseball? Who plays cricket other than aristocratic limey blokes who take tea time breaks before the next paddling. "Ello 'gents! The scones are dandy wot wot!" You think any of their pitchers could smoke a 98 mph fastball by anyone? You think their paddles could hit one? My guess is that those paddles would shatter upon any contact.

Cricket, to me, is one of the most sissified sports in existence.

Is cricket played aroundt he World more than baseball? Highly doubtful. Baseball is the premiere sport of choice throughout the caribbean and Japan. It is also very big in Korea. In fact, a large percentage of players in the United States MLB are foreign born. The only countries that play cricket were coincidentally part of the British Empire as well. Why not take a look at the list of teams that participate in the Little League World Series? That'll give you a really good idea of how widely played the sport is.

Or are we counting Cuba, Dominican Republic, Curasao and all those other countries in the caribbean as part of the United States now?

It's a selective arguement you've chosen Princess, and a poorly made one at that. Why not ask Canadians why curling isn't the dominating sport in other countries? Or ask Holland why Speed Skating is so popular there but not as popular everywhere else?

Of course, let's ignore basketball because that debunks your whole arguement completely :P. Nobody plays that right?

I hope i've enlightened you a little bit because your first post was sheer ignorance. Did you honestly think anyone here would care who won the rugby title across the pond?

Doop Lives...

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:25 PM
8bitChris is currently offline Click here to Send 8bitChris a Private Message Find more posts by 8bitChris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by KidRock
Lol please..a retard could play Rugby. It involves no skill whatsoever. I have played it before..dont believe the hype about the "sport" folks.

well all the tough parts, rucking, mauling etc have been removed in American football no one is rucked with studs. Even Scrums have gone.
If you have ever played prop or hooker with someone biting your ear smile you'd know what a tough sport is.

basketball does not really debunk my argument as proper football -and rugby have a passion a non contact sport could never elicit.

I don't know of a basketball world cup confused

Last edited by Sir Whirlysplat on Oct 21st, 2005 at 08:33 PM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:31 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

well all the tough parts, rucking, mauling etc have been removed in American football no one is rucked with studs. Even Scrums have gone.
If you have ever played prop or hooker with someone biting your ear smile you'd know what a tough sprot is.

How can something be removed from American football when it was never there?

Anyway...biteing someone on the ear makes a sport tough? Sounds stupid as hell to me. There is a fine line between tough a stupid..seems like the Brits havent found that line yet.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:33 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

Put any rugby player in the world, without padding heads up against Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp and we'll see which guys steamrolled.

Doop Lives...

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:34 PM
8bitChris is currently offline Click here to Send 8bitChris a Private Message Find more posts by 8bitChris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Originally posted by 8bitChris
Put any rugby player in the world, without padding heads up against Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp and we'll see which guys steamrolled.

The rugby player can be the best in the world but he would leave the field on a stretcher..thats a fact.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:35 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jonah Lomu 20 stone 10.5 second 100 metres in his prime right........

http://www.answers.com/topic/jonah-lomu

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:38 PM
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

This guy....

(please log in to view the image)

Would get pancaked by these fellows..

Doop Lives...

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:48 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

This guy....

Would get pancaked by these fellows..

they wouldn't catch him, in rugby you hand players off in American Football the flat hand pushed into the open face is not allowed and impossible as they wear protection to the face.

smile Lomu 10.5 second hundred metres almost 2 metres tall 20 stone straight arm v big guy that can't run smile

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:51 PM
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

If these guys could catch any running back or receiver in the NFL then they can catch your guy. What? Is he going to run out of bounds and keep running?

Please.

Oh, I thought you said Rugby guys were tougher? Why doesn't he just run Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp over? Because he can't he'd get flattened.

Like I said, even the players well over 300 pounds in the NFL are much faster than you. Can't run? Now you're just being silly.

Doop Lives...

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:54 PM
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

they wouldn't catch him, in rugby you hand players off in American Football the flat hand pushed into the open face is not allowed and impossible as they wear protection to the face.

smile Lomu 10.5 second hundred metres almost 2 metres tall 20 stone straight arm v big guy that can't run smile

Mate you beat me to It !!!!!!!!!!!!!! laughing laughing laughing

So true. smile

Mann Lomu is a monster !!!!!!!

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:54 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by yahman
Mate you beat me to It !!!!!!!!!!!!!! laughing laughing laughing

So true. smile

Mann Lomu is a monster !!!!!!!

The slow American "Blockers" are so funny smile

American Football is funny, you've been on ten minutes have a rest fattylaughing out loud

Last edited by Sir Whirlysplat on Oct 21st, 2005 at 08:59 PM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:56 PM
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis arn't blockers.

That, and the linemen still average the 40 yard dash in 4.5-4.7 seconds.

It's funny how people ignore facts rather than refute them.

You honestly think that guy couldn't be caught by anyone? I have a bridge to sell you mates. A it's a little twig called London Bridge wot wot.

Doop Lives...

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 08:59 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

You honestly think that guy couldn't be caught by anyone? I have a bridge to sell you mates. A it's a little twig called London Bridge wot wot.

so they are slower than Lomu and I suspect smaller smile

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4214

o look Sapp is much smaller smile

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 09:00 PM
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

He can be caught now, but two world cups ago, he was unstopable. smile

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 09:02 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by yahman
He can be caught now, but two world cups ago, he was unstopable. smile

this Sapp is tiny and slow next to Lomu

your point is?

Lomu 6.5 Sapp 6.2

Lomu 270 pounds

Sapp isn't

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 09:03 PM
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mate that eight bit must running out !!!!!!! smile

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 09:04 PM
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

Unstopable by rugby standards hardly counts against a league that is physically superior.

I'm not saying there arn't terrific atheletes in Rugby. I'm just saying the overall physical demand of strength and speed in the NFL is leagues higher than any Rugby i've seen.

Notice there is no one that "can't" be caught in NFL. Sure, there are great players and great runs and break aways. However, there isn't anyone that wont get tackled in a game.

And i'd let Sapp go heads up against that guy without pads anyday.

Doop Lives...

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 09:05 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

this Sapp is tiny and slow next to Lomu

your point is?

Lomu 6.5 Sapp 6.2

Lomu 270 pounds

Sapp isn't

indeed Yahman

Old Post Oct 21st, 2005 09:06 PM