KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Coded Speak - The New PC?

Coded Speak - The New PC?
Started by: PVS

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PVS
well, im just pointing out part of the method. placate and console the opposition while driving a knife through their back.

I understand. I'm simply saying that it goes beyond the motivation for some, and influences the posting habits of other members.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:42 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i can see what you're getting at...but then if you use

"a large number of arfican americans are incarcerated for criminal activities"

you dont get banned from the forum

but if you use

"i think ******* are ****ing criminal bastards who need locking up"

then you would get banned

the media are obviously the biggest users of this coded language but i dont think its about hiding an opinion...the fact is that media outlets DO recieve huge numbers of complaints about using inappropriate terminology in print or in broadcasting...i guess they are just covering their backs

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:44 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jaden101
i can see what you're getting at...but then if you use

"a large number of arfican americans are incarcerated for criminal activities"

you dont get banned from the forum

but if you use

"i think ******* are ****ing criminal bastards who need locking up"

then you would get banned

the media are obviously the biggest users of this coded language but i dont think its about hiding an opinion...the fact is that media outlets DO recieve huge numbers of complaints about using inappropriate terminology in print or in broadcasting...i guess they are just covering their backs

all i see the use and lack of racial slurs.
i miss your point

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:49 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think that would address the intent behind pointing out that opinion/fact

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:51 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS

i miss your point

you invariably do

quote:
all i see the use and lack of racial slurs.

which is the point...racial slurs are bannable....pc comments are generally not

is this the point at which you once again falsely accuse me of being a racist and begin a tirade of irrelevant abuse again?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 08:59 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

you invariably do

which is the point...racial slurs are bannable....pc comments are generally not

is this the point at which you once again falsely accuse me of being a racist and begin a tirade of irrelevant abuse again?

abuse? man you are off your rocker today. you want a hug?

no, i will just point out the complete irrelevence of your statement. i know that such methods are used by the media, and you were barking up one of the right trees....but alas...swing and a miss.

and racial slurs are not bannable. you cant get arrested for calling someone a n**** in america. however, you're employer can be pressured into firing you.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 09:03 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
abuse? man you are off your rocker today. you want a hug?

no, i will just point out the complete irrelevence of your statement. i know that such methods are used by the media, and you were barking up one of the right trees....but alas...swing and a miss.

a hug?...yes please

so what would you prefer...that every goes back to the "good ol' days" of calling a spade a spade?

i do get your point about the terms used by people...particularly the one about substituting the word "black" for anything and everything else

i don't know how bad it gets in the US but in the UK they have gone to silly extremes...no longer using the term blackboard but instead "chalkboard"

kids no longer singing the nursery ryhme "baa baa black sheep"

the word christmas being erradicated from government issued Christmas cards...instead "seasons greetings" and "winter festival" being used

as for on KMC...i imagine people use it to prevent being banned as i've said.

but it seems you're laying out a catch 22 situation...people using the term "african american" to hide their racism...perhaps in some contexts but i dont think it can be a blanket statement

the fact is that there aren't many non black people who could use the word "******" without coming across as racist whether they meant to be or not...

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 09:13 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

as for on KMC...i imagine people use it to prevent being banned as i've said.

but it seems you're laying out a catch 22 situation...people using the term "african american" to hide their racism...perhaps in some contexts but i dont think it can be a blanket statement

the fact is that there aren't many non black people who could use the word "******" without coming across as racist whether they meant to be or not...

why would someone be banned from kmc for being a racist? i have yet to see that happen. *checks kidrocks profile* yup, still here. why? because he consciously avoids typing racial slurs in his many troll posts.
you dont have to use the n- word to type hate speech.
watch:

"all african americans are criminals and should be locked up"

see? thats hate speech lacking any racial slurs. in fact that would kinda be PC hate speech...in a sense.
but dont we digress? the topic is not of words, but of a manner
in appealing to those with like minds while avoiding the scrutiny of
the opposition. consciously disguising the true meaning of what you say,
and leave the baiting conclusion to be taken.

Last edited by PVS on Feb 21st, 2006 at 09:22 PM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 09:18 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

so what would you prefer...that every goes back to the "good ol' days" of calling a spade a spade?

Yes, and no. At least, in my opinion. If a spade is a black man, rather than an african american, then a spade IS a spade. If a spade is a well placed hypocritical comment, yes. Say what you think, the way you think. It would make cleaning house here on teh forums a lot more black and white process for the mods. And, when you get right down to it, that's a big part of this behavior. People don't want to get banned for writing exactly what they think, so they spice it with a measure of political correctness and sell it as a relevant opinion that should be considered on the same level as any other.

Hiding your opinion behind political correctness is the central issue here, not calling a black guy a ****** or a gay man a ******.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 09:25 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
why would someone be banned from kmc for being a racist? i have yet to see that happen. *checks kidrocks profile* yup, still here. why? because he consciously avoids typing racial slurs in his many troll posts.
you dont have to use the n- word to type hate speech.
watch:

"all african americans are criminals and should be locked up"

see? thats hate speech lacking any racial slurs. in fact that would kinda be PC hate speech...in a sense.
but dont we digress? the topic is not of words, but of a manner
in appealing to those with like minds while avoiding the scrutiny of
the opposition. consciously disguising the true meaning of what you say,
and leave the baiting conclusion to be taken.

i know what you mean but the fact is that people are entitled to their opinion and the means to express that opinion

as for kidrock...i never know whether or not to take him seriously...the trolling seems to be designed to get a response more than to put across an opinion on something

there are perfectly valid opinions and concerns about issues such as immigration, gay marriage or adoption that people should be allowed to give without allegations of xenophobia or homophobia

thats said...there some people with offensive opinions who do try to disguise it...so i do agree with that...but i'm asking what you think should be done about it...

notice capt_fantastic's post has words censored...that shows a reason why, at least on KMC, people deliberately dont use those words

what if right now i was to type **** **** ****** ***** ******* ****** kyke wop slanty eyed retard bastard shit

thats why kidrock cant give his real opinion wink

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 09:47 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

thats said...there some people with offensive opinions who do try to disguise it...so i do agree with that...but i'm asking what you think should be done about it...

it should be recognised. simple as that.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 09:51 PM
Fishy

But thats the entire reason they do it, to not get recognized... Besides jus tthink of how bad a government would be if they would say what they thought. You would have about half a million political party's, each with a small part in the senate, and the guy with 200 votes or more would be president. It simply doesn't work... Although it would be nice if it did.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 10:58 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

A similar phenomenon to damning with faint praise, I think.

'He's a good little writer', (He's actually quite shit, but decent for an idiot)

'He's honest and hard-working', (Idiotic but will do what you say).

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 12:25 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Re: Coded Speak - The New PC?

Coded speech seems to me to be the same as an insinuation. Both imply something indirectly - and often derogatory - without stating it explicitly.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 12:38 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

In other words, it's cowardly.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 12:40 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

It can be cowardly, but it can also be an art.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 12:43 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Cowardly art.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 12:44 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by PVS
...placate and console the opposition while driving a knife through their back.

I dont think it's always that intense; but nicely phrased, nonetheless.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 01:09 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by BackFire
Cowardly art.

Coded speak/insinuation involves knowing how people think, react and communicate on a subtle level. It requires intelligence, gut feeling, and certainly the desire to use this power for evil.

It is sometimes cowardly. It is always an art.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 01:19 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

No it isn't. It's just insinuating something because you're too much of a pussy to say it bluntly. It doesn't require intelligence.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2006 01:21 AM