KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Martial Arts

Martial Arts
Started by: spidergrl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (60): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
spidergrl
Living

what belt are you in taekwondo and have you gone into any competitions??

Made by the wonderful Barker .. Thanks Darling

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 03:48 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

ive been told that tkd use bo staffs...what else do they use?

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 03:56 AM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

taekwondo ppl use a wat??

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 04:00 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

was Green Belt, didnt do any tae kwon do competitions, i was training for a kick boxing fight, but that didnt end up happening.... my school taught a lot of stuff like bo staff, katanas, all kinds of stuff, other stuff i dont know the names to, like when you were a more advanced student at a certain belt level... i think they started everyone at the bo though. I dont think that is strict tae kwon do, but there are a number of schools out there that teach that, but not all.

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 08:22 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

that doesnt make much sense...why would a korean style use japanese weapons? can you please explain that to me?

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 08:04 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

quote:
Originally posted by Turbo-Cajun
was Green Belt, didnt do any tae kwon do competitions, i was training for a kick boxing fight, but that didnt end up happening.... my school taught a lot of stuff like bo staff, katanas, all kinds of stuff, other stuff i dont know the names to, like when you were a more advanced student at a certain belt level... i think they started everyone at the bo though. I dont think that is strict tae kwon do, but there are a number of schools out there that teach that, but not all.

ok. I have 2 clubs near me and they're both strict. its nothing to do with our school, they don't really know what it is. but ours are strict and care about what you do in school etc and how your education goes

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 08:47 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

what about you girl? what weapons does your school teach?

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 08:51 PM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Tae Kwon Do is punches and kicks, mostly kicks....anything else i think is outside of true tae kwon do. Our school's master was pretty big into jeet kun do for a while so we learned stuff from all over, including japanese weapons, as well as disarming knives, as well as disarming a pistol, as well as joint breaks and grappling usually taught in ju jitsu as well as a bunch of other shit....

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 03:35 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

as for my school(samurai jiu jitsu) we subliminally learn the art of the samurai sword...other weapons include
Boken
Jo staff
kobo
hambo
yawara
Jutte
tensen-fan
Hojo-rope
tanto
handcuffs

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 03:46 AM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Do you spar often?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 03:50 AM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

nah...but i will start doing that soon enough with one of the brown belts...

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 03:57 AM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

i used to spar like all the time, there was a time where i training alot and i sparred like an hour or two a day, everyday...it was baddass. I did twenty rounds in the ring once....it was brutal, i was in hella good shape back then, i need to get back into that shit.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 04:00 AM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

i would sword spar with my friends but since school has started we dont really have much time anymore...also it doesnt really help that my boken and kendo are starting to show major signs of wear and tear.>_<

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 04:04 AM
spidergrl
Living

i love to spar/fight. i travel all round the world competiting smile

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 08:08 AM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

sweet, i just found a new sparring partner today....i got to get all my equip from my parents house smile

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 11:35 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

Woo 'bout time we had a decent martial arts thread around here!

I do Ju Jitsu which I love because of the variety, we do all sorts of techniques from unarmed to armed combat.
The weapons we use are -

Sword - with either live blades or bokkens
Bo
Jo
Han Bo
Tan Bo
Tonfa
Nunchaku
Sai
Kama
and hopefully soon we going to introduce the Naginata.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 07:36 AM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

i would love to do martial arts with sword or something. taekwondo doesn't really use weaponds, its more of a foot and hand combat. its real fun and all but if you think about it, if someone comes up to you on the streets with a stick or metal or something like that then you're really not going to get out of that one easy are you. thats why i think they should bring in weapons and teach them to the older and mature teenagers etc

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 08:00 AM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

You should do something like jeet kun do then....or at least read Bruce Lee's book on it, its pretty good stuff

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 10:28 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

Hey Spidergrl,

Do they not have unarmed against weapons techniques in TKD. The ones we use basically involve you getting as close to the assailant as possible, this will not only surprise your attacker but it also takes the energy out of their attack.
Quite simple in principle but I found it took a bit of getting used to the idea of moving in to a weapon attack rather than away from it.
Aikido utilises these sorts of techniques quite a lot. smile

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 07:33 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

quote:
Originally posted by Baylin
Hey Spidergrl,

Do they not have unarmed against weapons techniques in TKD. The ones we use basically involve you getting as close to the assailant as possible, this will not only surprise your attacker but it also takes the energy out of their attack.
Quite simple in principle but I found it took a bit of getting used to the idea of moving in to a weapon attack rather than away from it.
Aikido utilises these sorts of techniques quite a lot. smile

Hey Baylin eek! hello !!

no we don't use any sort of weapon where i practice taekwondo. like for tournaments you can hit each other but thats only with your hands and feet. we occationly get a fake knife to muck around with or stuff buts thats as far as we go. one of our instructors does karate as well and well that beathing stuff is as boring as hell, so we normally go round the back and do our own stuff.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 08:16 PM