KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Martial Arts

Martial Arts
Started by: spidergrl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (60): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

quote:
Originally posted by Baylin
Woo 'bout time we had a decent martial arts thread around here!

I do Ju Jitsu which I love because of the variety, we do all sorts of techniques from unarmed to armed combat.
The weapons we use are -

Sword - with either live blades or bokkens
Bo
Jo
Han Bo
Tan Bo
Tonfa
Nunchaku
Sai
Kama
and hopefully soon we going to introduce the Naginata.

you lucky bastard you! we have those weapons too but my soke doesnt use them in jiu jitsu...oh well...maybe ill take up his iaido or karate class...

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 08:34 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

yea i know, i wish that i had weapons like that in taekwondo. its dumb i reackon they should teach us how to defend ourselves and not this breathing crap that they got us teenages doing. mad

Made by the wonderful Barker .. Thanks Darling

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 08:45 PM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

you talking about yoga? if not then i disagree...theres alot of important factors in martial arts... and breathing is a key one..especially for people like me who aernt too good in the stamina department...

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 1st, 2004 10:30 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

no, im not talking about yoga. im talking about standing in one spot for 2 hours breathing in and breathing out and just standing on the spot doing that. fun a?? not.....yea its important to beathe and all but is it really necessary for 2 hours standing there. come on.......!!!

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 01:21 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

messed your teacher must be crazy! 2hours!? at most we only do it for 45 seconds!

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 01:23 AM
spidergrl
Living

yea i no......crazy man!! yes he's stupid and we stand that and you can't help but to crap up laughing

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 05:18 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

What an insolent attitude you people have, breathing is the single most important thing you can do! I try to do it for at least 24 hours a day.... stick out tongue

No seriously, breathing technique is important as it helps improve stamina, focus and power although 2 hours is a bit excessive!

Sounds like your instructor may have forgotten his lesson plan and couldn't think of anything else better either that or he was taking the pi**... laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 09:14 AM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kohldia
Wild One

I've been studying Karate Goju-Ryu for 10 years now, breathing is a good way to learn self control, if you just want to learn how to defend yourself in a few months, go out into the slums and sneak up on someone...that's the only way you'll learn it within a few weeks. In martial arts there is no such thing as a quick fix for self defence...I know that because I was just as naive as you guys...take pride in what you do, question anything you dont understand and never ever make the mistake of getting in a fight too early.

Burned and Scarred, but just as dangerous as a wildthing.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 09:29 AM
Kohldia is currently offline Click here to Send Kohldia a Private Message Find more posts by Kohldia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kohldia
Wild One

Karate

I've been doing Karate for almost a good 10 years now and reached brown belt. Dont get me wrong, the sport is fantastic but the form I practice is Goju Ryu, one of the more demanding and traditional forms of Karate.
Who heres been doing Karate? How long have you been participating in it and what form?

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 01:27 PM
Kohldia is currently offline Click here to Send Kohldia a Private Message Find more posts by Kohldia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

Good way of ending up either seriously injured or dead...

One thing that is often stressed by my sensei is that yeah it's good fun doing martial arts but in putting it into practice can be dangerous as they can lull you into a false sense of security if someone tries to mug you.

You have to remember that the people who really master fighting arts dont just train a couple of hours a week, they have to train all day every day in order to keep their skills well honed.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 01:57 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

We do little bits of Shotokan along side Ju Jitsu at my club. One of the black belts is also a black belt Shotokan of 30 odd years so when we're doing strikes and blocks it tends to be Shotokan styled.

I do find it very fascinating and if I had more time I'd take proper karate lessons along my Ju Jitsu.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 02:03 PM
G.P
living bank advertisement

I've merged the 'Karate' and the 'Martial Arts' threads.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 03:02 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kohldia
Wild One

Kinda noticed...thanks for confusing us all :P

Good to see someone understands me Baylin, I'm glad you understand the finer points of the Art.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 03:07 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

Re: Karate

quote:
Originally posted by Kohldia
I've been doing Karate for almost a good 10 years now and reached brown belt. Dont get me wrong, the sport is fantastic but the form I practice is Goju Ryu, one of the more demanding and traditional forms of Karate.
Who heres been doing Karate? How long have you been participating in it and what form?

i dont think thats too good of an idea...(sorry if i cant detact sarcasm) but yeah i do like jiu jitsu...the only problem is that im just not committed and motivated enough to make a decent amount of progress...do you have any ideas to help me out?

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 06:16 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

Thats fine, like anything else you'll get out of it what you put in and the motivation can only come from within.

You may be inspired by watching films and real fights but unless you can summon the motivation and self discipline from within your self you wont make a decent amount of progress.

Also sometimes you just just need to be patient. When I started out I didnt think I knew anything until I graded and then I was gobsmacked at just how much I had learned without realising...

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 08:14 PM
spidergrl
Living

hey guys just thought that i would let you know that im leaving KMC because Raz thinks im a sock with blackc@t and i don't want my mate to get banned because we're two different people. so carry on this forum and might see you at a tournament one day.
cya no sad

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2004 11:44 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

good luck and goodbye...may you always follow the path of bushido...

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 05:21 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

bu buy sad

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 07:11 AM
spidergrl
Living

guess who's back........................??
:eck: ME !!!!!!!!!!!!! big grin
Raz found out that we weren't socks and im back for good big grin
so where were we ??? big grin

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 08:39 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

YAY! big grin

quote:
Originally posted by spidergrl
so where were we ??? big grin

You were about to demonstrate 2 hours of breathing... wink

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 04:33 PM