KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Hall of the Honored Fallen

Hall of the Honored Fallen
Started by: DigiMark007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Re: Hall of the Honored Fallen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by darthgoober
Sounds like my match with you and Scoobs... shifty

We would've had to have been trying for it to be an epic loss.

stick out tongue

Lose to me in Evangel's tourney....twice?....and we'll talk. If you want that spot in the Hall bad enough, you're going to have to show me that you deserve it. Now go copy an old DevilHulk post and use it as your writeup for our match.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 11:59 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Originally posted by DigiMark007
You're in the middle of tourneys, so I'm obviously not including that. Among completed tourneys, however, only 2 people (jin and Kahn) retired undefeated...because they won the only tourney they entered, then stopped. You'd have to win all 3 of your current ones to qualify.

Other news:

I'm going to try and do some fun analysis of various tourney aspects. Hardest tourney to win (relative to the debating skill and drafts in the tourney), easiest to win, most powerful single tourney character(s) ever (undoubtedly amalgams), best team or amalgam name, best debaters, most diligent with research, etc.

Could be fun. Any other suggestions for categories I should make?

Inductions

Loot (formerly Norrin Radd) won the first ever KMC tourney, but is being honered is our hall for his noble efforts in tourney VII. He faced the dred beast Scoobless, slayer of mortals, no less than 3 times, and despites losses in the first two, fought until his dying breath. Truly, such courgae in the face of an insurmountable foe is to be honered!

Most insane strategy or failing that, worst tourney BS.

Best potential idea.

Worst prep ever.

Most obscure choices.

Historic moments like first anime character used, etc.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 12:41 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Thanks for the ideas Trick. I'll try to work them in.

The Lists: Entry #1

"Hardest/easiest tournament" uses the following criteria: If an average debater from today were to enter each tourney, how hard/easy would it be for them to win? It does take into account era, so it is assumed that no scans would be allowed in the early tournaments (I-III or IV), even for our hypothetical modern participant.

Hardest Tournament:

3 - Iron Man Team Tournament (V) (Winner: Blair Wind)
Why: It was the tournament where the "old guard" vets seemed to meet the newest debaters of the current generation. There were precious few easy-outs, even in a 16 man tourney. Scan-heavy posts also made the scene for the first time, making it a rough transition for some.

2 - Herald Team Tournament (VI) (Winners: Leo and Kahn)
Why: Very little prep put an emphasis on character debating more than any tourney in the modern era, and partner tournaments are always a shade tougher because you have to coordinate plans with our partner and also make sure both partners are dedicated enough to win.

1 - Under Thanos Team Tourney (VIII) (Winners: Darkcrawler and Blair)
Why: Competition. There was one team that was a pushover, then every other team in the whole tourney was not only strong but a threat to win it all. Many felt that the best team, bran and goober with Adaptoid, Despero, and Earth X Absorbing Man, was actually the best in the tourney. And they lost in the semis. Not that crazy plans hadn't happened until this point (they had) but "prep time" took on a whole new meaning as teams went from a groups of herald types to Skyfather-busting meshes and beyond. And the finals match probably had more tourney experience in it than any match before or since, and was decided 3-2 by a hair's length.

Differing opinions? Thoughts?

I figure NJ's and Hawkeyes's current one has a chance to take a spot in the top 3 due to the list of vets involved in it, but the current ones are still under evaluation, and at least ill's tourney had a few too many dropouts to be considered as cutthroat as these others.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 9th, 2008 at 01:08 AM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:06 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

"Hardest/easiest tournament" uses the following criteria: If an average debater from today were to enter each tourney, how hard/easy would it be for them to win? It does take into account era, so it is assumed that no scans would be allowed in the early tournaments (I-III or IV), even for our hypothetical modern participant.

Hardest Tournament:

Why: It was the tournament where the "old guard" vets seemed to meet the newest debaters of the current generation. There were precious few easy-outs, even in a 16 man tourney. Scan-heavy posts also made the scene for the first time, making it a rough transition for some.

Why: Very little prep put an emphasis on character debating more than any tourney in the modern era, and partner tournaments are always a shade tougher because you have to coordinate plans with our partner and also make sure both partners are dedicated enough to win.

Why: Competition. There was one team that was a pushover, then every other team in the whole tourney was not only strong but a threat to win it all. Many felt that the best team, bran and goober with Adaptoid, Despero, and Earth X Absorbing Man, was actually the best in the tourney. And they lost in the semis. Not that crazy plans hadn't happened until this point (they had) but "prep time" took on a whole new meaning as teams went from a groups of herald types to Skyfather-busting meshes and beyond. And the finals match probably had more tourney experience in it than any match before or since, and was decided 3-2 by a hair's length.

I figure NJ's and Hawkeyes's current one has a chance to take a spot in the top 3 due to the list of vets involved in it, but the current ones are still under evaluation, and at least ill's tourney had a few too many dropouts to be considered as cutthroat as these others.

I agree with these

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:12 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Hardest Tournament:

love

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:18 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Could be fun. Any other suggestions for categories I should make?

Best bullshitter!

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:20 AM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I like how Trick brings up things where his name might get mentioned...

You might as well put:
Person who ruined the best potential tournament before it started.

That's because I had to drop out...

Last edited by One Big Mob on Mar 9th, 2008 at 01:25 AM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:21 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Glad you guys approve for the most part. ALL tourneys are tough, but those stand out to me.

I'll make more as I can.

Originally posted by jinzin
Best bullshitter!

Hehe...I don't know if I want to get overtly negative with the lists. It'll probably be a lot less controversial topics. But I'll keep it in the back of my head in case there's just 2-3 people that absolutely need recognition for BSing.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:27 AM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

I remember Vsing Digi in that tourney...

I vaguely remember Souja trying to make Juggernaut a giant conductor,and we tried burying Thor in a hole with him.

Good times

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 03:43 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Speaking of the most humiliating losses... shifty

Someone say it, so I don't have to...

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:07 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Martian_mind
I remember Vsing Digi in that tourney...

I vaguely remember Souja trying to make Juggernaut a giant conductor,and we tried burying Thor in a hole with him.

Good times

The other participants enjoyed our match for whatever reason....I was overly harsh with Souja a few times and I think they thought it was funny. Your team was fine but you had no way of making Juggernaut mobile. We just left him on the ground, and you guys resorted to saying he'd jump up and down at us.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:23 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Any other suggestions for categories I should make?
Most/Least successful use of a highly obscure character.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:28 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Re: Re: Hall of the Honored Fallen

Originally posted by darthgoober
Sounds like my match with you and Scoobs... shifty

You totally should have won that.

BTW, Illadelph's should get some kind of mention as the worst judging in tourney history.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:30 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Re: Re: Hall of the Honored Fallen

Originally posted by King Kandy
You totally should have won that.

BTW, Illadelph's should get some kind of mention as the worst judging in tourney history.

Keep the bashing out of the thread Kandy.

And regardless of whether you agree with his decisions, ill reads the entire fight and provides reasoned opinions for his judgments. I may not agree with every decision from ANY judge, but that's all one can ask of potential judges.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:36 AM
King Kandy

No, not the quality of the judging, the quantity. As in, the inability to get enough judges to judge the matches. The Judges themselves were superb.

I'm sorry if I said that wrong, I didn't mean the decisions were bad.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:38 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Also,do i win most crushing defeat?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:38 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Maybe. It was pretty funny the way your amalgam didn't work at all in Goober's tourney.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:40 AM
One Big Mob
Dead

You should... shifty

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:41 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Oh, then co-signed. Though some isn't his fault. Apparently some judges that were initially confirmed either didn't show or had to drop out for different reasons. Not a total excuse, but something, since I can vouch for how hard it is to get consistent judges for a whole tourney.

Against who, us? Probably not, since it was round 1, but that would be a fun list to make.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:41 AM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Trickerpriest.

i want some consolation for that shitfest

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:43 AM