KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Wheres the god damn hockey?

Wheres the god damn hockey?
Started by: ragesRemorse

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (58): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Right, you're entitled to your opinion. I of course like the Sens, but unlike you I have a valid reason.

I'm not very sure about Heatley's prior life. I do know he got in an accident and one of his Thrashers teammates died because of it, but I think the family of that player forgave Heatley and as a result he didn't go to jail. As for Spezza, I don't believe he is the most overhyped or overpraised player. He is not mentioned as much compared to people like Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin..ECT. Plus, you're from Ottawa, so that must have some kind of influence over your opinion.

He is a good player. He does get fancy which bugs me sometimes, but other times his fanciness pays off. Take the popular overtime goal against the Canadiens for instance.

Of course he doesn't play defense...that was a bit of a stupid point.

You go way over the speed limit in a fast car, reckless driving and wrap the car around a pole and then kill somebody in that car should be somebody who gets convicted for vehicle manslaughter. Doesnt matter if the person parents forgive him.

Also, yes, I think Spezza is overpraised and hyped. Everybody talks so good about him in Ottawa like he is the second coming for their team and has done nothing.

That popular overtime goal, yes, was a pretty good goal but 2-3 years ago and tries it everytime and loses the puck.

He is a good player but not elite.

And yes, a forward that plays defense. A very valid point. He strictly plays 1 way and doesnt help his defenceman when in the thier own end. Why do you think the coaches harp to him about it? Brian Murrey and Martin hated Spezza for his lack of defense.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 02:06 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Originally posted by Shadow_King
well during there post match interview, the senators are usually riding the exercise bikes, i was just wondering why that was. no other team does that.

It's probably a cooldown. Usually after rigorous excerise or running you stretch to keep the muscles from cramping or getting sore.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 05:56 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Originally posted by Smasandian
You go way over the speed limit in a fast car, reckless driving and wrap the car around a pole and then kill somebody in that car should be somebody who gets convicted for vehicle manslaughter. Doesnt matter if the person parents forgive him.

Also, yes, I think Spezza is overpraised and hyped. Everybody talks so good about him in Ottawa like he is the second coming for their team and has done nothing.

That popular overtime goal, yes, was a pretty good goal but 2-3 years ago and tries it everytime and loses the puck.

He is a good player but not elite.

And yes, a forward that plays defense. A very valid point. He strictly plays 1 way and doesnt help his defenceman when in the thier own end. Why do you think the coaches harp to him about it? Brian Murrey and Martin hated Spezza for his lack of defense.

It's not like he intentionally meant for it to happen. He was under the influence of alchohol. Granted, it's still unacceptable for someone to drink and drive, but I think he was aware of that because he was ready to go to jail and he believed that he deserved to go to jail. You can't judge a person's character on one mistake.

Yeah there you go, that's what I thought. Your opinion is based on what other people in Ottawa say. Spezza is one of the greatest things that happened for Ottawa(Hockey)-Fact. So is Alfredsson and Heatley. And you can't say he does nothing when he registers enough points(goals and assists) to be in the top 10 in the NHL.

Of course he isn't elite. Don't let bias hockey fans in Ottawa leave you a negative imprint of Spezza.

Ok, fine. He isn't the greatest defensmen. That's why he's a foward. Not everyone has multiple skills, some people can play both very well, others can't. Many hockey players are like that.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 06:57 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

He drank and drive and then killed somebody while doing it. If I did it, I would go to jail. It's manslaughter. Pure and simple.

He should be in jail, or atleast out of it.

Well, when I say overhyped and overrated wouldnt that direcly involve what people in Ottawa say and precisely my point?

You are aware that forward are required to play defense in the NHL? Right? The whole two way forward?

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 07:02 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

If you did it, you "might" go to jail. It all depends on whether or not the family of the person who died objects with you going to jail. As is the case with Heatley.

I agree he should. But he is not, so no point continuing to argue this. He is a great hockey player. Let's leave it at that.

First of all, you said he the most overrated and overhyped in the NHL. Which is clearly not true. That's what I'm arguing.

Yes, I am aware, but that doesn't mean the person playing it has to be good at it. Some people are multi-skilled others lack skill in one area, but compensate in another.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 08:44 PM
Admiral Akbar

Alright, playoff time is here. This is how I think it's going to go down.

Canadiens vs. Bruins-
Canadiens will win. Bruins might be effective when playing against a team like the Sens, but against Montreal I think not. Plus, the Habs have been on a bit of a hot streak lately.

Capitals vs. Flyers-
I don't really know too much about these two, I would guess the Flyers would win. The Caps are a good team, but Ovechkin, their prize star can't do everything alone just like Crosby couldn't carry his team past the Sens last year.

Penguins vs. Senators-
This one is easier than the others. It must be because the Sens are my favorite team. I know them the best out of the 16 others and I conclude that they will lose against the Pens this year. Not only have they struggled throughout the second half of the season, but their captain and a few others are out with injuries. The Pens on the other hand are a winning team and have the momentum to push beyond the first round.

Devils vs. Rangers-
This one should be a good matchup. Both are close to one another in the standings and have recently played a game that went into overtime, but I were to choose I would say the Rangers would win. No reason really, both have experience, both are skilled, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

That's Part 1. I'm going to do the Western Conference another time.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2008 06:56 PM
Shadow_King
-

agree with you on all of them except cap vs flyers, think caps can beat them.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2008 09:55 PM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I've never admitted to being a hockey fan, but I do watch the playoffs when the Pens or Canes are playing. (when you're in the middle of a lifelong love affair with the NFL, there's not much room for other sports).

That being said, I do "cheer" for the Penguins and Hurricanes whenever they happen to be in the playoffs. Here's one thing I've always noted. I don't care how good these teams are, or if they're winning the Stanley Cup in '06, whatever...but it seems like every time they're on TV in a playoff game, the following graphics come up on the TV screen at some point:

"[Pens/Canes] have gone 12:52 without a shot on goal"

or

"Shots on Goal, 2nd period: [opposing team] 18, [Pens/Canes] 2"

Last edited by botankus on Apr 9th, 2008 at 07:10 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2008 07:03 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Man, I think the NFL has some sort of invasive disease.

I used to watch hockey a bit, and when I was a kid I loved hearing and watching Lemieux play. I remember being in a bar in Sarnia with my dad and it was Lemieux return game against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I distinctly remember asking the bartender if I could watch the game and some guy in the corner asked why. I told him that it was Lemieux return game from retirement. They guy then says, "who gives a shit, he's over the hill and done, should stay retired." What happens next is Lemieux scores an assist in his first shift and then scores a goal minutes later. He ends up with 3 points in his first game back in a couple of years and then goes on to score 76 points in 43 games.

Anyways, once I really got into the NFL 5 years ago, I basically stop caring what happened in the NHL. I used to follow players like I do for football, but I just dont care anymore.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2008 04:00 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Man, I think the NFL has some sort of invasive disease.

I distinctly remember asking the bartender if I could watch the game and some guy in the corner asked why. I told him that it was Lemieux return game from retirement. They guy then says, "who gives a shit, he's over the hill and done, should stay retired." What happens next is Lemieux scores an assist in his first shift and then scores a goal minutes later. He ends up with 3 points in his first game back in a couple of years and then goes on to score 76 points in 43 games.

lol thats a great story. Lemieux is the god damn man. It is only a shame that his career was shortened by hodgkins. That man has done a lot for the the city of Pittsburgh and single handedly kept the Penguins in the city, numerous times.

Pens rocked the Sens in their last game 4-0. even though the score tells a story of domination, it was actually a very intense and close game up until the dwindling minutes of the third period. It was a great playoff game and the Sens actually played a much better game than i had anticipated. The Penguins penalty kill may have been responsible for the win here. They killed off two 5 on 3's and numerous other minor's. You all might just want to watch some of this series. I think it is going to be a sweep for the pens or strung out to 7 hard games

Old Post Apr 10th, 2008 05:41 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, it is.

Another funny thing was when after he scored the goal, the guy basically resigns and said something similiar to, "well **** me..l"

It was awesome.

I have a few good stories about him.

Another one was when he played in 2002-03. I was talking to a guy who adored hockey. We had numerous discussions about #66 and he basically said he was done also. Well, it turns out he was a torrid scoring spree in the first couple of weeks and ends up with 91 points in 67 games. It was hilarious when he basically said, "yeah, your right."

Something else similar happened during the Olympics in 2002. Friend of mine said he shouldnt even be on the team and during the game that night, he scores two goals to single handily beat Germany. Lastly, he does the crazy fake shot while the puck goes between his legs and Kariya puts it home.

If he wasnt injured all the time, he would easily of taken the scoring record.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2008 05:53 AM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
lol thats a great story. Lemieux is the god damn man. It is only a shame that his career was shortened by hodgkins. That man has done a lot for the the city of Pittsburgh and single handedly kept the Penguins in the city, numerous times.

Pens rocked the Sens in their last game 4-0. even though the score tells a story of domination, it was actually a very intense and close game up until the dwindling minutes of the third period. It was a great playoff game and the Sens actually played a much better game than i had anticipated. The Penguins penalty kill may have been responsible for the win here. They killed off two 5 on 3's and numerous other minor's. You all might just want to watch some of this series. I think it is going to be a sweep for the pens or strung out to 7 hard games

Right on, they were a penalty killing machine last night. The Sens had a few chances in those 5-on-3's, of course, but not the usual barrage that one would expect from those opportunities. I think for about 10 minutes out of a 20 minute stretch, the Sens had a 1 or 2 man advantage, and basically it seemed like the Pens had them matched man-for-man.

Pens looked swift and confident. Sens looked nervous and unprepared.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2008 12:15 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Nice of you to give the Sens a bit of credit, but we must have been watching different games because I thought the Sens sucked beyond belief. I didn't expect much from them, I knew they were struggling. With injuries and with the team as a whole. Last nights game was embarrasing to watch, honestly, they played so poorly I stopped watching after the second period. I don't think it's going to go to 7 games. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Apr 10th, 2008 12:50 PM
jinXed by JaNx

oh damn, The penguins just got finished embarrassing the Sens. Even though, the Sens fought the good fight and almost pulled out an upset. I noticed something. The Penguins just might be the team with the most hustle. When it comes to it, this team has legs, legs and drive. Although this penguin team holds only two superstars, the rest of the team is mediocre, but they play their god damn game and bust their asses doing it. A great in game quote from lang "the penguins came into this game expecting more from the senators, but it is the Penguins who came with the big game"
I cant say enough about this team, but they are by no means the best, i just think they are of the hardest playing. It could very easily be anyone's game at anytime when it comes to this young team, but i think their chemistry is something special.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2008 03:04 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Yeah, it is.

Another funny thing was when after he scored the goal, the guy basically resigns and said something similiar to, "well **** me..l"

It was awesome.

I have a few good stories about him.

Another one was when he played in 2002-03. I was talking to a guy who adored hockey. We had numerous discussions about #66 and he basically said he was done also. Well, it turns out he was a torrid scoring spree in the first couple of weeks and ends up with 91 points in 67 games. It was hilarious when he basically said, "yeah, your right."

Something else similar happened during the Olympics in 2002. Friend of mine said he shouldnt even be on the team and during the game that night, he scores two goals to single handily beat Germany. Lastly, he does the crazy fake shot while the puck goes between his legs and Kariya puts it home.

If he wasnt injured all the time, he would easily of taken the scoring record.

i can remember as a kid, always feeling safe when 66 was on the ice, the come back was never to far away.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2008 03:07 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

oh damn, The penguins just got finished embarrassing the Sens. Even though, the Sens fought the good fight and almost pulled out an upset. I noticed something. The Penguins just might be the team with the most hustle. When it comes to it, this team has legs, legs and drive. Although this penguin team holds only two superstars, the rest of the team is mediocre, but they play their god damn game and bust their asses doing it. A great in game quote from lang "the penguins came into this game expecting more from the senators, but it is the Penguins who came with the big game"
I cant say enough about this team, but they are by no means the best, i just think they are of the hardest playing. It could very easily be anyone's game at anytime when it comes to this young team, but i think their chemistry is something special.

I say your giving the Penquins little less credit than they deserve.

Malkin and Crosby our great, but Roberts is old but is very useful when the playoffs come (just ask Sens fans when the Leafs had him), Malone is good, Hossa has all star talent. Sykora is good, while Staal will be great. I think they have a good team, not mediocre.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2008 03:57 AM
Admiral Akbar

A great in game quote from lang "the penguins came into this game expecting more from the senators, but it is the Penguins who came with the big game".

It wasn't hard to pull a win against a struggling team. They don't need to play hard to win at this point.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2008 05:07 AM
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

Damn Flyers choked a lead, and that one goal was bullshit when the Ref didn't stop play when our guy got injured.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2008 04:53 PM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

I agree that was a bs play; they should have stopped. If they can stop plays after clean "vicious checks" then there should have been a stoppage in play after the blocked shot.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2008 02:20 AM
jinXed by JaNx

I say your giving the Penquins little less credit than they deserve.

Malkin and Crosby our great, but Roberts is old but is very useful when the playoffs come (just ask Sens fans when the Leafs had him), Malone is good, Hossa has all star talent. Sykora is good, while Staal will be great. I think they have a good team, not mediocre.

Oh, i wasnt trying to sell this team short. I believe their talent and skill makes them top competitors. I wouldnt say for certain that there is a team they could not best. Being young in skill definition though, i wouldnt say for certain that there is a team they could best...,if that makes any sense. I think Ruutu, Sykora, Whitney and talbot are all very good players. But...,i believe the chemistry has much to do with their performances. I wouldn't look for any of them in an all star game.
They seem to have great drive and hustle, but i think this is a team that plays well off of each other. Malkin and Crosby are those players that make everyone else around them better. Without the right chemistry i would say most of the players making up the Penguins lines are mediocre...,not poor by any means though. The team as whole, however, is definitely a force. I'm sure many of the players will grow into all stars from the experience gained from playing on this team.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2008 12:51 PM