KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » STAR TREK: The Forum...

Star Trek forum?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes... 42 70.00%
No... 18 30.00%
Total: 60 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAR TREK: The Forum...
Started by: Raoul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
Well there is a Smallville discussion and a Heroes discussion...Star Trek is way more popular than any of those programmes and the movies are also very popular

I personally don't like Star Trek but it totally deserves a discussion.

That's not a relevant argument; external popularity has no bearing on hiow successful it would be as a forum here. We just had this discussion re: Doctor Who and we've seen the logic fail with Lost.

Bardock- there is an important principle that only forums that will have worthwhile use are allowed else the front page will quickly fill with garbage. There has to be some reasonable criteria of use.

And for sure- it will not be as popular as Potter, POTC and Star Wars. We've seen not even a fraction of a demand as there was for the first two and the last is the heart of the site.

The new film is not out until '09. That's a notable way off. I advise waiting to see if a buzz for it grows.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Apr 24th, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Old Post Apr 24th, 2008 10:11 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Personally I think KMC is hardly in danger of that, it is extremely well organized.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2008 10:19 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Impediment
I own all of the Star Trek movies on DVD, but, admittedly, I don't own any of the series sets on DVD. However, I've always been fond of The Next Generation.

Personally, I don't know how we've ever gone without a Star Trek forum.

I own all the series on dvd as well as the movies. Star Trek is such an enjoyable series and I'd be happy talk with anyone and everyone about it. Fans and non fans

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 24th, 2008 10:19 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Bardock42
Personally I think KMC is hardly in danger of that, it is extremely well organized.

Yes, in part because we only allow new areas that are worthwhile.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 24th, 2008 11:17 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Troop
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Star Trek forum is around still so I disagree. ninja

Old Post Apr 24th, 2008 11:20 PM
Troop is currently offline Click here to Send Troop a Private Message Find more posts by Troop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

14 movies, 5 TV shows, comics, novels and a cartoon. There's enough material to discuss.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 03:11 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Badabing
14 movies, 5 TV shows, comics, novels and a cartoon. There's enough material to discuss.

You'd think, but there's so very little discussion on it now.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 03:22 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CyborgHolliday
Vagrant

Originally posted by Peach

Really? A new movie, constant conventions, 40 years of television shows, we have a Star Wars thread, but a movie hasn't been made in 3 years. Yeah your logic is about as fool proof as spawing unwanted life...*ahem*

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 03:49 AM
CyborgHolliday is currently offline Click here to Send CyborgHolliday a Private Message Find more posts by CyborgHolliday Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Probably because having an entire forums worth of content condensed into one obscure, disorganized, alienating thread is both a poor measure of the popularity of a subject and completely misses the mark of a forum's ability to spread out, and pander to the specific wants rather than random, uncontrolled conversation.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:01 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Maybe that you're involved with. But need I remind you how you took a stance against one of the more popular forums in the past? It's popularity was so high it spilled over into the creation of other forums rather than the destruction you'd hoped for?

So apparently you have no real concept of what's popular. I'm guessing that since you are obviously unfamiliar with this fandom's popularity you'd be unfamiliar with the popularity of slightly more obscure fandoms such as transformers and that its'd surprise you to know how strong the fandom is, and how many differet other message board sites are dedicated to this forum.

Also Peach? You have this nasty habit of attaching yourself to names that I like with slight variations. And no I'm not very fond of you based on my encounters with you in the past and from the horror stories I've heard about you.

So what I want to know is why do you want to deprive this site of potentially more varied discussion, potentially drawing in more members?

More traffic means more ads being seen that I'm guessing are their to help support the site. Since you Don't want the possability for that extra traffic, you're denying the site potentially more support and thus more money that doesn't have to come from Raz's pocket?

Why do you unintentionally and ignorantly want Raz to pay more in that fashion.

Yes, yes I'm well aware of bandwith and the like, but I've hosted a site before personally the extra traffic was welcome ads it meant more people to see the adds... Heck, I was 17 in the positive from this sort of thing.

So why don't you want it arround? You doubt its popularity because you personally haven't seen much discussion of Star Trek?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:15 AM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I believe a Star Trek Forum is completely viable. The fan base is comparable to just about every other franchise which has a forum on this site, and it's creation will likely lure more fans of the franchise to the site as word spreads of it's existence. We have a James Bond Forum, a Smallville Forum, an Indiana Jones Forum, and a Terminator Forum. There's no logical reason that a franchise that is as popular if not more so than all of these does not deserve it's own forum other than personal bias against the narrative.

Star Trek should have a forum. thumb up

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:20 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CyborgHolliday
Vagrant

Ush and lana don't believe in democracy is all fellas, don't cha understand?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:30 AM
CyborgHolliday is currently offline Click here to Send CyborgHolliday a Private Message Find more posts by CyborgHolliday Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Creshosk
Maybe that you're involved with. But need I remind you how you took a stance against one of the more popular forums in the past? It's popularity was so high it spilled over into the creation of other forums rather than the destruction you'd hoped for?

So apparently you have no real concept of what's popular. I'm guessing that since you are obviously unfamiliar with this fandom's popularity you'd be unfamiliar with the popularity of slightly more obscure fandoms such as transformers and that its'd surprise you to know how strong the fandom is, and how many differet other message board sites are dedicated to this forum.

Also Peach? You have this nasty habit of attaching yourself to names that I like with slight variations. And no I'm not very fond of you based on my encounters with you in the past and from the horror stories I've heard about you.

So what I want to know is why do you want to deprive this site of potentially more varied discussion, potentially drawing in more members?

More traffic means more ads being seen that I'm guessing are their to help support the site. Since you Don't want the possability for that extra traffic, you're denying the site potentially more support and thus more money that doesn't have to come from Raz's pocket?

Why do you unintentionally and ignorantly want Raz to pay more in that fashion.

Yes, yes I'm well aware of bandwith and the like, but I've hosted a site before personally the extra traffic was welcome ads it meant more people to see the adds... Heck, I was 17 in the positive from this sort of thing.

So why don't you want it arround? You doubt its popularity because you personally haven't seen much discussion of Star Trek?

What the hell are you even babbling about? I've never said anything against creating any forums that went on to become popular. Nor do I have any idea where this 'name' thing of yours came from considering the only other name I've used on KMC while you've been a member was my actual real-life nickname

And I don't really see why people think popularity = interest. Yes, Star Trek is very popular. There's no denying that. But, what interest has been shown for it on KMC? How much discussion about is has there been on THIS forum? How many movies and TV shows and etc. is completely irrelevant. Transformers is incredibly popular but how active is that forum here on KMC? People begged for a Terminator forum but look at how that turned out. A dozen times people have asked for a Doctor Who forum - immensely popular show, massive fandom...but almost no discussion on here, and what there is is generally between about a half-dozen of us. People begged for a LOST forum but that failed very quickly.

I'm not saying a Star Trek forum would inherently be a failure. I'm just saying you cannot judge the success by how popular it is in other places and how big other forums about it are and how much discussion there is elsewhere - what matters is now much discussion there is HERE. And I won't say 'yes' because I know I personally would not post in it ever, and so far with every new forum created, the majority of the people who vote yes for the creation never post in there.

Last edited by Peach on Apr 25th, 2008 at 04:37 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:34 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

What the hell are you even babbling about? I've never said anything against creating any forums that went on to become popular.
Not creation, but destruction. then after this another one of the same type was indeed created.

Nor do I have any idea where this 'name' thing of yours came from considering the only other name I've used on KMC while you've been a member was my actual real-life nickname
How does that invalidate what I said?

And I don't really see why people think popularity = interest.
Gee.. So people are interested in things that aren't popular? OR are you more trying to equate KMC to an elitest clique?

Yes, Star Trek is very popular. There's no denying that. But, what interest has been shown for it on KMC? How much discussion about is has there been on THIS forum? How many movies and TV shows and etc. is completely irrelevant. Transformers is incredibly popular but how active is that forum here on KMC? People begged for a Terminator forum but look at how that turned out. A dozen times people have asked for a Doctor Who forum - immensely popular show, massive fandom...but almost no discussion on here, and what there is is generally between about a half-dozen of us. People begged for a LOST forum but that failed very quickly.
So lack of knowledge of the existence of something is tatamount to people not being interested?
I'm not saying a Star Trek forum would inherently be a failure.
Then why compare it to such? I see nothing that you stand to gain from a denial of the very tance that you just tried to affirm.

I'm just saying you cannot judge the success by how popular it is in other places and how big other forums about it are and how much discussion there is elsewhere
So because there are people whom exist that are interested in the discussion, due to them being unaware of the existence here means that there is no one that would be willing to come here to discuss it?

- what matters is now much discussion there is HERE. And I won't say 'yes' because I know I personally would not post in it ever,
Nor would I expect you to, butsurely you're not going to vote against something simply because you yourself wouldn't use it would you?

That ounds incredibly selfish don't you think?

"I wouldn't use it, therefore it shouldn't exist."

and so far with every new forum created, the majority of the people who vote yes for the creation never post in there.
So you're going back on your denial of your affirmation of this particular position?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:55 AM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yes, in part because we only allow new areas that are worthwhile.
Your bias is showing.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:57 AM
Peach
mordrem

Um, I still have no idea what you're talking about. I've never said anything about the destruction of any forums, either. There are forums I dislike, yes, but that doesn't mean I want them to go away

And I never said I invalidated anything you said, but that what you said makes no ****ing sense.

And really, I have no idea what you are babbling about, anyway. I never said KMC was an elitist clique. What I am trying to get across is that just because something is popular does not necessarily mean there will be enough interest here on this specific corner of the internet to keep a forum HERE going. We have sections here that are immensely popular and that you can find tons of discussion about on other forums but do not do so well here. Just as we have sections here that are huge that don't do well on other forums. It's simply a quirk as to how the internet can work.

And in all honesty, I'd think that if people were interested in discussing something, they'd be seeking out forums/threads to discuss it in. Such threads ARE available on KMC, but as has been pointed out by other people in here already, they are not terribly active threads.

I am wondering where you got "I wouldn't use it so it shouldn't exist" from anything I've said. It really is a fact that most people who vote for the creation of a forum - people who DO say they are interested - then go on to never post in there. It's been seen on here a number of times. Thus someone like me, who isn't interested, saying yes would be simply nothing but false support. I won't say no - but I won't say yes either.

I honestly have no idea why you're jumping all over me for expressing an opinion based on something I've seen happen many times on here. If people want to discuss Star Trek then go for it. It doesn't bother me. I'm just extending a...cautious warning, I suppose, based on how things have gone down on KMC in the past (multiple times) and how "popularity amongst the entire fanbase" doesn't always equate to "huge amount of interest in discussion on KMC".

Your bias is showing.

I wonder what bias that could be because, unless my memory has completely and totally fried, Ush does like Star Trek.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 05:28 AM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Not creation, but destruction. then after this another one of the same type was indeed created.

How does that invalidate what I said?

Gee.. So people are interested in things that aren't popular? OR are you more trying to equate KMC to an elitest clique?

So lack of knowledge of the existence of something is tatamount to people not being interested?
Then why compare it to such? I see nothing that you stand to gain from a denial of the very tance that you just tried to affirm.

So because there are people whom exist that are interested in the discussion, due to them being unaware of the existence here means that there is no one that would be willing to come here to discuss it?

Nor would I expect you to, butsurely you're not going to vote against something simply because you yourself wouldn't use it would you?

That ounds incredibly selfish don't you think?

"I wouldn't use it, therefore it shouldn't exist."

So you're going back on your denial of your affirmation of this particular position?

Dude, I think you're missing an important point here. Peach isn't saying that a Star Trek forum would be BAD. She's not AGAINST it. She's saying that based on previous evidence, it's not a sure thing that such a forum would do well here, specifically, on KMC.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 05:39 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Um, I still have no idea what you're talking about. I've never said anything about the destruction of any forums, either. There are forums I dislike, yes, but that doesn't mean I want them to go away
You totally don't recall when you were supporting the notion of getting rid of the versus forums?

And I never said I invalidated anything you said, but that what you said makes no ****ing sense.
Captain Obvious: IT doesn't make sense when you don't understand what the person is saying.

You invalidated one of YOUR arguments when you tried to show evidence that invalidated another one of YOUR arguments.

"I'm not trying to say that it would instantly fail like all the other ones that have instantly failed, but all the other times a new forum was begged for it instantly failed."

And really, I have no idea what you are babbling about, anyway. I never said KMC was an elitist clique. What I am trying to get across is that just because something is popular does not necessarily mean there will be enough interest
Because popular things aren't interesting...

here on this specific corner of the internet to keep a forum HERE going. We have sections here that are immensely popular and that you can find tons of discussion about on other forums but do not do so well here. Just as we have sections here that are huge that don't do well on other forums.
Got proof of this last part? You know the whole concept of KMC having exclusive forums?

It's simply a quirk as to how the internet can work.
Riiight... You related to Al Gore?

And in all honesty, I'd think that if people were interested in discussing something, they'd be seeking out forums/threads to discuss it in. Such threads ARE available on KMC,
AS SMurph already said, a single thread might become complicated to try and follow discussion in when anything you want to say about a topic with a vast array of subjects is all crammed into one.
"Oh the other day I was talking about phaser modulation, now I have to sift through pages of tribble talk to find it"

And you claim to know how the internet works.

but as has been pointed out by other people in here already, they are not terribly active threads.[b/]
THREADS... These people obviously know how the internet works. Obfuscation of ability to discuss things related to a fandom really does wonders to sustain interest in the THREAD... or you know not, people don't like being confused.

[B]I am wondering where you got "I wouldn't use it so it shouldn't exist" from anything I've said.
Your arguing against the idea coupled with statments about how you wouldn't use it OBVIOUSLY...

It really is a fact that most people who vote for the creation of a forum - people who DO say they are interested - then go on to never post in there.
And you're arguing against it and one of your arguments is that you personally would not use it.

It's been seen on here a number of times. Thus someone like me, who isn't interested, saying yes would be simply nothing but false support. I won't say no - but I won't say yes either.
But you will argue against it, and you'll try and stem support for the idea... that's tatamount to saying no without saying the word no itself.

"Its a bad idea"
"Don't say no."
"I didn't, I'm just sayuing its a bad idea."

So basically ... you're trolling again. trying to start fights with the supporters by attacking their ideas, but you're not ACTUALLY opposed to the idea, even though you're arguing with the supporters against it?

I honestly have no idea why you're jumping all over me for expressing an opinion based on something I've seen happen many times on here.
Trolls get attacked... its probably why they troll.

If people want to discuss Star Trek then go for it. It doesn't bother me. I'm just extending a...cautious warning,
A rather vocal warning you mean.

I suppose, based on how things have gone down on KMC in the past (multiple times) and how "popularity amongst the entire fanbase" doesn't always equate to "huge amount of interest in discussion on KMC".
So you attack the idea, argue with the supporters but aren't opposed to the idea?

Doesn't that sound fishy to you?
I wonder what bias that could be because, unless my memory has completely and totally fried, Ush does like Star Trek.
Uh huh... pull the other one. He clearly stated that its not worth while... but star wars apparently is...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...%3A6+userid%3A8

Lore check on my name before you say word one about my "bias".

Originally posted by General Kaliero
Dude, I think you're missing an important point here. Peach isn't saying that a Star Trek forum would be BAD. She's not AGAINST it. She's saying that based on previous evidence, it's not a sure thing that such a forum would do well here, specifically, on KMC.
That'd be credible if
a.) You weren't her pet.
b.) What you said didn't contradict her statements and actions.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 06:11 AM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

That'd be credible if
a.) You weren't her pet.

laughing out loud Holy crap did I call that. I love it. Every single time I get called on that, it's hilarious because it's all that ever happens.

quote:
b.) What you said didn't contradict her statements and actions.

Wrong, try again. What I said is precisely what she was saying before you obfuscated everything. She even said she wasn't saying "No" to the idea, just that she wasn't saying "Yes", either. Based on previous experience, within KMC specifically, a Star Trek forum would not last.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 06:39 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

If the forum has use, why not?

If it gathers dust, ban everyone but me who voted yes.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 06:39 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote