KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Something everyone wonder, WHO WOULD WIN, WITCH KING OR GANDALF?

Something everyone wonder, WHO WOULD WIN, WITCH KING OR GANDALF?
Started by: Incanus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Incanus
Istari

Thats what ive been trying to say the whole time........ But movie Gandalf also isnt as powerful as the one in the book. At least to me he isnt, anyine else agree? He never shot fireballs in the movie or anything....... He also relied on his staff to much in the movie.........

Isil
Turgon aran Gondolin tortha gar a matha, i vegil Glamdring gud dae lo, dam an Glamhoth.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 10:42 PM
Incanus is currently offline Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
This confrontation is similar to that of the First Age [possibly between Melian? and a Morgoth aligned sorcerer] in which 'Songs of Power' or some such were used as a form of magical duel by proxy. Gandalf the White matched Sauron in a contest of Wills, which is analogous to innate power.

While this is good proof it is ultimately faulty. First, Gandalf was never alloweed to actualy battle Sauron mono e mono as you seem to belive. Second it was not really a battle of wills. IN the fellowship of the Ring we see the outcome of the fight. In it Sauron tells Frodo, "Verily I come, I come to you." While Gandalf says, "Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off. Take off the ring!" Ultimately the two voices nutralize each other and Frodo takes off the ring. However, it also says he "one remaning instant to do so," suggesting Sauron's will would soon push bask Gandalf's. Also Sauron's will had not yet found Frodo yet but was very near him (It was over Tol Brandir).

Old Post Jul 4th, 2009 05:39 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

That is not the occasion I meant? I quoted it several times. This [my example] took place after Gandalf the White had been manifested and Frodo & Sam had left the Fellowship.

So unless you can point me to the passage you're talking about I'm gonna have to think that you are mistaken.

A little.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2009 03:12 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
That is not the occasion I meant? I quoted it several times. This [my example] took place after Gandalf the White had been manifested and Frodo & Sam had left the Fellowship.

So unless you can point me to the passage you're talking about I'm gonna have to think that you are mistaken.

A little.

I know what example you were talking about. I read the quote and it refers to my example. It's in TFotR in the chapter "The Breaking of the Fellowship" when Frodo puts on the ring.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2009 03:56 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

A while back I read somewhere about Gandalf's seemingly imminent defeat at the Witch-King's hands in the film to be simple cinematic eye candy. That the the idea that a Maiar, recently reinvigorated by the Vala, would lose to a decrepit shadow-being of a Man (albeit Sauron's chief lieutenant) was unfounded and frankly ridiculous when taking in to account what the Istari (including the Grey) and even weaker Maia were able to do.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 05:36 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Incanus
Istari

^ i know that is stupid of them to do that.........

Isil
Turgon aran Gondolin tortha gar a matha, i vegil Glamdring gud dae lo, dam an Glamhoth.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2009 12:02 AM
Incanus is currently offline Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khamul 666

witch king vs gandalf gandalf wins in the first book when gandalf the gray arrived at amon sul he obviously fought the nazgul the witch kin in hooded form with them so gandalf escped and they set up an ambush for frodo and friends now add a major boost to gandalf for turnin into the white than take away the other nazgul in hooded form gandalf wins in full armored form gandalf wins in assault for gandalf wins (full armor form was in the war between arnor and the north ) assault form the battle of minas tirith hooded form is nazgul robes

Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2009 08:19 AM
Khamul 666 is currently offline Click here to Send Khamul 666 a Private Message Find more posts by Khamul 666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

That hurt my head to read.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2009 05:12 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Incanus
Istari

Owowowowowowowowow my head still hurts from the lack of sense

Isil

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2009 02:33 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Actually, I was referring to the grammar...

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 01:56 AM
Incanus
Istari

Thats why it dosnt make sense, the grammar isnt god and it is just one sentence.........

Isil

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 01:26 PM
Khamul 666

sorry i typed that quickly and im not the neatest typer especially on a mac

Slays king ruins town,

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:52 PM
Khamul 666 is currently offline Click here to Send Khamul 666 a Private Message Find more posts by Khamul 666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Gandalf's power could equal to the power of Sauron/ Not sure though, if he ever wouldn't go that far; he'd be corrupted just like a Balrog. Either way, Gandalf and the other Miars were sent to help the people of Middle-Earth against Sauron; not to win the war themselves.

As for Witch-King vs Gandalf, I'll go with Gandalf when it comes to who is more powerful. However, thw WK can't really be killed by a man. Gandalf must be either a woman, or have a enchanted blade like Glorfindel (was it him)

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 03:03 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The Witch-King can't be killed by a Man, and Gandalf isn't a Man, he's a Maia. The movie made it clear to the audience that Movie-Gandalf was inferior to Movie-Witch-King. And the movie is the only (and non-canonical) place where that is inferred.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 08:27 PM
xJLxKing

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The Witch-King can't be killed by a Man, and Gandalf isn't a Man, he's a Maia. The movie made it clear to the audience that Movie-Gandalf was inferior to Movie-Witch-King. And the movie is the only (and non-canonical) place where that is inferred.

Yes, I know what Gandalf is, but it doesn't change the fact that he is still in a body of a man. That's all that matters.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 08:57 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Actually when it comes to Tolkien, it ultimately matters who you really are, not what you look like. The powers of a Maia such as Gandalf the White, even if he were in the body Man that barely ages over 2000 years, will defeat a corrupted Man who can't be killed by fellow mortals.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 09:06 PM
xJLxKing

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Actually when it comes to Tolkien, it ultimately matters who you really are, not what you look like. The powers of a Maia such as Gandalf the White, even if he were in the body Man that barely ages over 2000 years, will defeat a corrupted Man who can't be killed by fellow mortals.

Whether or not you like the answer this is how Tolkien wanted it. This is why even Glorfindel couldn't kill the Witch-King without a enchanted sword. Yes, I do know that Gandalf is a powerful Maia.

Also, i forgot which Glorfindel is which, but I do know that one killed a Balrog=Maia

That's how I view it. Unless Gandalf is more powerful then the enchantment/prophecy, which is up to you to prove.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 09:27 PM
Khamul 666

I dont think either would kill the other just wound each other and flee . huh

Slays king ruins town,

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 10:10 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by xJLxKing
Whether or not you like the answer this is how Tolkien wanted it. This is why even Glorfindel couldn't kill the Witch-King without a enchanted sword. Yes, I do know that Gandalf is a powerful Maia.

Also, i forgot which Glorfindel is which, but I do know that one killed a Balrog=Maia

That's how I view it. Unless Gandalf is more powerful then the enchantment/prophecy, which is up to you to prove.
'Kay man, Glorfindel didn't kill the Witch-King, so whether the enchanted sword would work or whether he could isn't told. He forced the Witch-King to flee and prophesies to him that he would not be killed by a Man. The Witch-King in turn interpreted that to mean he can not be killed by a Man. If you can point me to a source by J.R.R or Christopher Tolkien stating just exactly what the f*ck it all means, I'd be grateful. Does it mean the WK CAN'T be killed by a man, does it mean he WON'T be killed by a man, does Eowyn fall in to those parameters? What?

Either way, in Return of the King, the Witch-King demanded Gandalf step aside, and Gandalf didn't budge. A Maia spirit of enhanced magical ability sent back by the Vala and wielding an Elven sword can't handle a corrupted Man?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 12:32 AM
Khamul 666

and Eowyn didnt really fall into those regulations since Man is a shortened name for the human species and even though gandalf looks to be human he is a demigod

as much as i love the nazgul
i think that if one had to die the WK would

Slays king ruins town,

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 12:48 AM