KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?
Started by: The Nuul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
QFT.

I think most people are familiar with his origin, so limiting it to the opening credits or something similar is better, imo.

But yeah, as cool as TDK was, the formula with its success doesn't auto-translate into every superhero movie...despite the fact that most writers and producers believe it does. Hell, even Batman stretches "realism" as a character, no matter how grounded he is. Superman pretty much craps on "realism" in comparison. I think the semi-divine angel allegory was made already in Superman Returns (which had a lot of messiah like allusions made to Superman).

Regardless of how they take the film, it needs to have a villain who can physically challenge Superman somewhat. That much is obvious.

And not Zod either, sorry but beyond his "kneel before Zod!" the guy was boring.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2010 04:02 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Theres nothing realistic about Supes at all. Its about time that we get a comic book Superman on film.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2010 08:24 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

I agree with that sentiment but not everything in the comics translates well in live action film. Take for example costumes, Batman's costume in live action doesn't look anything like it does in the comics, if it did it would look something like the 60's campy Batman costume.

I think a Superman movie going in the right direction will (for instance) make certain changes to the costumes and the alien costumes of Kryptonians in general.

It has to look like something an advanced alien race would wear without looking like an Iron Man costume. The artistic choices aside, a physical threat to Supes is a must.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2010 11:42 PM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Allankles
I agree with that sentiment but not everything in the comics translates well in live action film. Take for example costumes, Batman's costume in live action doesn't look anything like it does in the comics, if it did it would look something like the 60's campy Batman costume.

I think a Superman movie going in the right direction will (for instance) make certain changes to the costumes and the alien costumes of Kryptonians in general.

It has to look like something an advanced alien race would wear without looking like an Iron Man costume. The artistic choices aside, a physical threat to Supes is a must.

Something like Superman One Million's costume but with a more conventional S-shield?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2010 11:58 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

You really think it would look that bad to compare it to the 60s costume (Batmans)? Glad to see Nolan on Superman though. Maybe we can get someone else other then Lex all the time!

The Word

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 01:25 AM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i don't think they really need to make that many changes to a superman costume. they tried in returns and straight up made a mess of it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 07:23 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by -Pr-
i don't think they really need to make that many changes to a superman costume. they tried in returns and straight up made a mess of it.

With that sorry excuse for an S-Shield?

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 02:30 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Omega Vision

I liked the raised shield. I think DC should actually do that.

For Superman on film, if they want to streamline his appearance for something that looks less comic book like and more futuristic - this is the 21st century - look at the once proposed "Ultimate" look.

http://hallofheroes.free.fr/Images/...DC/superman.jpg

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 06:31 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

fanboys would shit bricks of they altered the costume that much. honestly, i didn't have any problems with the returns costume.. yes they changed it, but it was still identifiable.

although i wouldn't mind seeing another super suit..

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 07:21 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

yep.

Originally posted by roughrider

For Superman on film, if they want to streamline his appearance for something that looks less comic book like and more futuristic - this is the 21st century - look at the once proposed "Ultimate" look.

dc did and still does do that. pete woods' art on superman almost always has him with a raised shield. its just not tiny.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 09:06 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by roughrider

maybe that will be how Superman Earth One will look

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 11:46 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I think the movie Superman's costume should take some hints from Kal Kent's from DC One Million.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 11:47 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

yep.

dc did and still does do that. pete woods' art on superman almost always has him with a raised shield. its just not tiny.

I guess the debating still is, removing the red shorts from him or not.
I think it would streamline his look to take them off, or have him wear ones that are blue and match the costume.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 03:43 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Something like Superman One Million's costume but with a more conventional S-shield?

Something like that, an update for the big screen.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2010 07:07 AM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

The returns costume had issues with the S shield and they made his briefs smaller which made it worse. Personally if they really wanted to make changes they should have made the red briefs area larger, and make it not look like they're boxers, make it look like just part of a one piece suit with red splashed on.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2010 07:10 AM
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Originally posted by kevdude
You really think it would look that bad to compare it to the 60s costume (Batmans)? Glad to see Nolan on Superman though. Maybe we can get someone else other then Lex all the time!

Batman's costume in the comics (and most other costumes for that matter) lack texture. So making a direct translation into live action will have it looking like nothing more than spandex.

I think Supes costume needs more texture, so far they've made it look like spandex, it should look less like spandex and something like alien fiber (not necesarilly body armor either).

Old Post Mar 21st, 2010 07:16 AM
Mr Parker

With Nolan taking over,we should have another great Superman movie in the future. Happy Dance to date,we only have superman one and two to enjoy.what would REALLY be awesome is if he took over the reboot spiderman that they have in the works.He redeemed that pathetic Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise and we finally got a great Batman movie to enjoy thanks to him.Thats why I am sure he will work the same magic with superman.Just wish somehow he could take on spiderman as well.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2010 05:46 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
newark

Batman's costume in the comics (and most other costumes for that matter) lack texture. So making a direct translation into live action will have it looking like nothing more than spandex.

I think Supes costume needs more texture, so far they've made it look like spandex, it should look less like spandex and something like alien fiber (not necesarilly body armor either).

I just hope it doesn't end up like body armor.

Old Post May 13th, 2010 07:24 AM
newark is currently offline Click here to Send newark a Private Message Find more posts by newark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by Mr Parker
With Nolan taking over,we should have another great Superman movie in the future. Happy Dance to date,we only have superman one and two to enjoy.what would REALLY be awesome is if he took over the reboot spiderman that they have in the works.He redeemed that pathetic Burton/Schumacher Batman franchise and we finally got a great Batman movie to enjoy thanks to him.Thats why I am sure he will work the same magic with superman.Just wish somehow he could take on spiderman as well.

For me at the time, Burtons batman was great and it still is a good watch.
But i seriously think Superman needs to be rebooted like batman was. don't continue on after superman returns just do a complete reboot. and if they want they could still use Brandon Routh as clark and superman.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2010 06:17 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The returns costume had issues with the S shield and they made his briefs smaller which made it worse. Personally if they really wanted to make changes they should have made the red briefs area larger, and make it not look like they're boxers, make it look like just part of a one piece suit with red splashed on.

i'd be fine with that.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 14th, 2010 11:25 PM