KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » KMC Writer's Tournament

KMC Writer's Tournament
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

I like this idea. I am terrible with deadlines, but I think I could commit to writing 8 pages a month at least.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 04:58 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
I like this idea. I am terrible with deadlines, but I think I could commit to writing 8 pages a month at least.

thumb up We would be glad to have you. I think I will leave this open for the next week and a half to give anyone else a chance to join. Then we can start the rest of the process.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 08:12 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I'm getting an idea for a Doctor Strange/Thor crossover...

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 04:22 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Judges
Badabing
Newjak
Galan

Participants:
PR
Oliver North
Curryman

Possibles:
Leonidas
Bardock
Endless Mike

Let me know if you three definitely decide you want to receive the honor and glory that comes from this tournament.

"It is not the critic who counts....The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

smile

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 09:37 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Bardock42
I expect you to enlist in this tourney

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 10:05 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I have a general outline of my story in my head.

I'm going to be writing an X-Men story about Cyclops and Emma, and how they've been driven apart by what happened during AVX. There's also going to be some flashbacks where I retcon some little things from the distant past, and a side plot involving Colossus being pursued by the Avengers.

It's primarily a story about Cyclops coming to terms and being confronted with all the things that he's done over the past few years, but I'm hoping that it ties together somehow.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Feb 5th, 2013 at 02:23 AM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 02:21 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

thumb up

I am going to open up a thread in about a week for you guys to talk about what stories you want to tell, the characters in them, and what tone we might expect (action, drama, comedy, thriller?). So, be thinking about your ideas!

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 02:24 AM
Gecko4lif

Im reading the rule sim interested

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 03:19 AM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by -Pr-
I realised that I have a bunch of scenes I really want to write, but no arching plot. God dammit.
exactly my feeling as well...I have certain fight scenes I want to write, but don't really have an entire storyline

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 02:47 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Gecko4lif
anybody wanna team up with me in the writer tournament

Gecko is looking for a writing team up - if anyone who might be lurking but hasn't decided to join yet is interested, just PM him.

Originally posted by Starscream M
exactly my feeling as well...I have certain fight scenes I want to write, but don't really have an entire storyline

Character A needs/wants something (artifact, magical entity, money) and Character B thinks that they should not have it for reasons XYZ.

And then they fight. I mean, if you want to write a fighting action based story, just pick a subject two characters or groups disagree on.

Last edited by Blair Wind on Feb 5th, 2013 at 05:53 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 05:50 PM
Starscream M

Originally posted by Blair Wind

Character A needs/wants something (artifact, magical entity, money) and Character B thinks that they should not have it for reasons XYZ.

And then they fight. I mean, if you want to write a fighting action based story, just pick a subject two characters or groups disagree on.
ok, count me in as a writer then

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 07:24 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

And Starscream steps up to the plate!

Judges
Badabing
Newjak
Galan

Participants:
PR
Oliver North
Curryman
Starscream

Possibles:
Leonidas
Bardock
Endless Mike

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 07:30 PM
Gecko4lif

Put me on participates

Is it weird ive already written issue 1?

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 07:52 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Action oriented books might be even more difficult in this format than dialogue heavy ones, just because of the page minimums.

The frame by frame style of script would help, but short of very detailed descriptions of the art, there are probably going to be some solid "issues" that fail to make the 8 page mark. Just my 2cents on the matter, maybe a "soft limit" at the minimum? (ie: if it is a full issue, why punish people for concision?) Not a big deal for me, I'm trying to figure out how to write some action in...

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 08:13 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Put me on participates

Is it weird ive already written issue 1?

No Gecko, it's not weird. It's smart.

Judges
Badabing
Newjak
Galan

Participants:
PR
Oliver North
Curryman
Starscream
Gecko

Possibles:
Leonidas
Bardock
Endless Mike

Originally posted by Oliver North
Action oriented books might be even more difficult in this format than dialogue heavy ones, just because of the page minimums.

The frame by frame style of script would help, but short of very detailed descriptions of the art, there are probably going to be some solid "issues" that fail to make the 8 page mark. Just my 2cents on the matter, maybe a "soft limit" at the minimum? (ie: if it is a full issue, why punish people for concision?) Not a big deal for me, I'm trying to figure out how to write some action in...

If you want to write action, look at the example I gave in the rules:
http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/scriptsample.pdf

I can see action scenes taking up more space than other things in a script actually - especially if you use the method described above.

I'm not going to be very strict on maximum pages (As long as it doesn't go over a reasonable amount, and please, be kind to the judges), but the minimum has to be at least 6-8 pages. I can't see anyone going any lower than that and it not affecting the writing.

Last edited by Blair Wind on Feb 5th, 2013 at 09:34 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 09:31 PM
Starscream M

is it 6-8 pages singlespaced or doubled space? makes a huge difference

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 09:50 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Starscream M
is it 6-8 pages singlespaced or doubled space? makes a huge difference

Look at the examples I've given already. If I was using Word, I'd personally use single place for the prose sections, double space for character name, and then single space for dialogue so I could have more space - but that's just me. I use Final Draft though and it automatically edits everything for me. You can get a 30 day free trial demo if you want to try it out (it only lets you write up to 15 pages for the demo, but that shouldn't be a problem).

Last edited by Blair Wind on Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 11:57 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I suppose I'll give this a go.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Feb 6th, 2013 03:49 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I know a lot of stuff is still up in the air, but I'm trying to budget my time with school/work stuff, when is the earliest that a full proposal of my idea would be due? not trying to get a solid date or anything, just sort of wondering how urgent getting all the threads I've got going on in my head together is.

Also, I agree, less than 6-8 pages will hurt the writing, I was just wondering about more action oriented stuff. I'll admit, I don't have a lot of experience with writing, but save a full description of panel-by-panel art, I don't see how action oriented stuff would be longer than dialogue, but this could be an entire misconception on my part, haha smile

Old Post Feb 6th, 2013 04:25 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I don't think I'll be participating, I can't really think of anything except the opening scene (but IMO it's an awesome scene)...

Want to hear it anyway?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 6th, 2013 07:20 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote