KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Smaug vs. Balrog

Smaug vs. Balrog
Started by: quanchi112

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Absolutely not.

I meant Smaug's pit, not the Balrog/Gandalf scene.
Youtube the Gandalf/Balrog scene. They fall for over a minute.

He's rather large and being bigger/heavier isn't necessarily an advantage when falling.

Just saw it. Yeah, it does appear much deeper than the pit Smaug fell into. But still, Gandalf was able to survive the fall:

So Gandalf's durability is higher than Smaug's iyo? To me, this is like that scene in TDK where Batman and Rachel are falling down several storeys on a taxi, and Rachel somehow manages to survive but smh either ways.

Your body needs to be very durable simply to carry the immense weight at that size. The way Smaug was portrayed in that movie, he seemed the size of a hill or something. Plus his scales are also stronger/tougher than iron armor.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:05 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
A Balrog is far more powerful then a dragon.
No, it isn't. This is also a generalized statement and it depends on the dragon and on the Balrog. Smaug is far mightier than the Balrog. Greater feats, smarter, more durable, faster, and bigger. Smaug has all the advantages.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:09 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by ares834
Irony. I'm not the one adamant on hanging on to that statement at all. I'm the one saying it shouldn't be taken literally.
lol. The context of this discussion has got your number brah.

Again, you need to actually watch the LoTR trilogy and stop youtube debating. Gandalf made it clear that normal weapons wouldn't harm it.

Only if we take Gandalf's statement as literal. And we shouldn't considering a few moments later we see Gandalf hurting the Balrog with his sword.

So what precedence from the movies are you using to contest the notion that the Balrog can only be harmed by magical weapons?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:10 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by quanchi112
No, it isn't. This is also a generalized statement and it depends on the dragon and on the Balrog. Smaug is far mightier than the Balrog. Greater feats, smarter, more durable, faster, and bigger. Smaug has all the advantages.

But a Balrog is an old world demon while a dragon is a living magical creature. No dragon could ever stand to a Balrog. Balrogs cannot be killed by mortals, and dragons are mortal.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:12 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Epicurus
I meant Smaug's pit, not the Balrog/Gandalf scene.

Just saw it. Yeah, it does appear much deeper than the pit Smaug fell into. But still, Gandalf was able to survive the fall:

So Gandalf's durability is higher than Smaug's iyo? To me, this is like that scene in TDK where Batman and Rachel are falling down several storeys on a taxi, and Rachel somehow manages to survive but smh either ways.

Your body needs to be very durable simply to carry the immense weight at that size. The way Smaug was portrayed in that movie, he seemed the size of a hill or something. Plus his scales are also stronger/tougher than iron armor.

No, I'd not say Gandalf is more durable. Though he's clearly far greater than his form appears with surviving smacks from the Balrog and surviving a fall like that. He's also much smaller than either the Balrog and Smaug; he was also riding the Balrog so it took the lion's share of the impact.

I'd not say "size of a hill", though hills vary in size. Regardless, we go by movie feats and I think just about everyone knows how Smaug dies in the 3rd film. So unless Jackson does some of his own writing in making Smaug more bad-ass, the Balrog has better feats thus far.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Dec 18th, 2013 at 08:18 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Tzeentch
lol. The context of this discussion has got your number brah.

Um, what?

Originally posted by Tzeentch
So what precedence from the movies are you using to contest the notion that the Balrog can only be harmed by magical weapons?

The fact that it is never stated.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:14 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

But a Balrog is an old world demon while a dragon is a living magical creature. No dragon could ever stand to a Balrog. Balrogs cannot be killed by mortals, and dragons are mortal.
This is the movie version only. Acting like the No mortals can kill it is applying a fictional no limits fallacy.

Smaug would decimate the movie Balrog. Again, based off the movies he is smarter, bigger, faster, can fly, and has greater feats.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:15 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Balrogs were killed by mortals. Hell, in HoME Tuor (a human) killed 5 Balrogs in a single battle. Now, admittedly, this is before Tolkien decided there should be only a handful of Balrogs but the notion that they can't be killed by mortals is not shared by the books.

Plus, Morgoth's final defense wasn't Balrogs but winged dragons. And their onslaught was so fierce they temporarily drove the very armies of heaven back.

Last edited by ares834 on Dec 18th, 2013 at 08:21 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:17 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is the movie version only. Acting like the No mortals can kill it is applying a fictional no limits fallacy.

Smaug would decimate the movie Balrog. Again, based off the movies he is smarter, bigger, faster, can fly, and has greater feats.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I am only basing what I know from being a dungeon master, years ago. If we are limited to Tolkien only, then I don't know.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:20 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

I haven't seen the movie yet. I am only basing what I know from being a dungeon master, years ago. If we are limited to Tolkien only, then I don't know.
That explains your opinion. Once you see the movie its obvious Smaug decimates the Balrog.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:21 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Um, what?

The fact that it is never stated.
Which isn't evidence. It isn't stated that non-magical weapons can hurt it, either.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Dec 18th, 2013 at 08:43 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:41 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

No, I'd not say Gandalf is more durable. Though he's clearly far greater than his form appears with surviving smacks from the Balrog and surviving a fall like that. He's also much smaller than either the Balrog and Smaug; he was also riding the Balrog so it took the lion's share of the impact.

I'd not say "size of a hill", though hills vary in size. Regardless, we go by movie feats and I think just about everyone knows how Smaug dies in the 3rd film. So unless Jackson does some of his own writing in making Smaug more bad-ass, the Balrog has better feats thus far.

I doubt any of the feats shown so far indicate that he'd be hurt from a fall like that.

I don't think that he can beat Balrog here, simply based on the nature of the opponents; one breathes fire to incinerate his foes, the other becomes fire to burn them alive. I am not 100% sure, but I think that iffy sword of Balrog's could likely penetrate Smaug's armored hide. What are its best feats?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 08:49 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

That explains your opinion. Once you see the movie its obvious Smaug decimates the Balrog.

I will get back with you so. Maybe I can see it after Xmas.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 10:23 PM
quanchi112
Disney

I will get back with you so. Maybe I can see it after Xmas.
Anything Cumberbatch touches turns to gold.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2013 11:45 PM
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Anything Cumberbatch touches turns to gold.

Well, the Midas touch didn't really end well for its last user...

Old Post Dec 19th, 2013 08:11 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Epicurus
Well, the Midas touch didn't really end well for its last user...
That is because it wasn't Benedict's golden touch.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2013 05:05 PM
Supra
Restricted

Account Restricted

Smaug wins

Old Post Dec 19th, 2013 05:07 PM
Supra is currently offline Click here to Send Supra a Private Message Find more posts by Supra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Supra
Smaug wins
Quit riding my coattails.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2013 05:08 PM
Supra
Restricted

Account Restricted

Quit riding my coattails.

oh that which you dont have?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2013 05:09 PM
Supra is currently offline Click here to Send Supra a Private Message Find more posts by Supra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Supra
oh that which you dont have?
Based on ?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2013 05:11 PM