KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Krayt vs. Darth Bane DOE

Darth Krayt vs. Darth Bane DOE
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Thats not what she thinks though. It says that he was faster than she could EVER have imagined.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 05:48 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Thats not what she thinks though. It says that he was faster than she could EVER have imagined.

This doesn't refute my point, at all. She credits him with his unbelievable speed because he always held back, which he did not when he attacked her with his orbalisk armor. Ergo, she's not comparing his speed in their final duel to his speed when he actually attempted to kill her, but to his speed when he was not.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 05:51 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
I'd refer to someone as a cousin no matter how far out they are, provided that they are my cousin.

But this is a formal royal family in an Empire that bears their name. Royal rules tend to be far more strict.

quote:

That's Roan Fel, we're talking about Mhogran.

Who was strong enough to be promoted to head of Roan's bodyguard, and shared personal confidence with him. Also strong enough that 'fight his way out of a room full of sith' seemed to be something Roan Fel thought was within the realm of possibilities for him and the other three. While the risk of death was high, protecting the decoy was not expected to be a suicide mission for them even in such circumstances.

He was also able to sense a hiding Calixte- who's skilled at hiding herself in the force and has gotten the drop on lesser force users- and used TK on her.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 06:00 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which might apply the other way around. But as it was Roan who referred to the other as cousin, and kings are priviliged enough to follow whatever rules that govern social conduct they want, there's not a problem.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 06:05 PM
Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Intrepid37
This doesn't refute my point, at all. She credits him with his unbelievable speed because he always held back, which he did not when he attacked her with his orbalisk armor. Ergo, she's not comparing his speed in their final duel to his speed when he actually attempted to kill her, but to his speed when he was not.

No, shes comparing him to all the time shes known him because she says he's faster than she could EVER have imagined. She doesn't directly link his speed to the training either. So she isn't just talking about it in regards to that. Her noting that he had always held back and her noting that he's faster than she could ever have imagined are in completely different paragraphs. Sure it follows on from that, but its separate and its wording ascribes context other than just their training sessions.

Why are you so against this anyway? Just accept it man.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 06:57 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, shes comparing him to all the time shes known him because she says he's faster than she could EVER have imagined. She doesn't directly link his speed to the training either. So she isn't just talking about it in regards to that. Her noting that he had always held back and her noting that he's faster than she could ever have imagined are in completely different paragraphs. Sure it follows on from that, but its separate and its wording ascribes context other than just their training sessions.

<facepalm>

Wrong.

quote:
During her years under Bane, they had sparred hundreds of times. During these sessions she had always known he was keeping something in reserve for the day they would inevitably fight for real. Only now did she realize just how much he had been holding back.

He was faster than she could ever have imagined, and he was using new sequences and unfamiliar moves he had never revealed during their practice sessions. But somehow she had survived the initial flurry, and now she knew what to expect.

She outright attributes his speed to their sparring sessions in which he never fought as fast as he did, which is why he fought faster than she ever imagined.

Why are you so against this anyway? Just accept it man.

<annoyed face>

quote:
His lightsaber still flickered with blinding speed as he performed his martial drills, yet it was the merest fraction slower than it had once been.

A few other hints support this, such as his strength declining.

quote:
He still cut an imposing figure. The powerful muscles built up during a youth spent working the mines on Apatros rippled beneath his skin, flexing with each slash and strike of his lightsaber. But a tiny sliver of the brute strength he once possessed had been whittled away.

And finally, we've got Bane saying that he's weaker than than earlier in life.

quote:
I taught you everything I knew about the dark side. I waited years for you to challenge me. But you were content to toil in my shadow, to remain an apprentice until the ravages of age robbed me of my power.''

Last edited by Intrepid37 on Apr 15th, 2014 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 07:15 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

<facepalm>

Wrong.

She outright attributes his speed to their sparring sessions in which he never fought as fast as he did, which is why he fought faster than she ever imagined.

No, she doesn't. And I don't see how that contradicts my point. Why can it not be that Bane became faster than he was in RoT and concealed it in training sessions? That satisfies both interpretations.

<annoyed face>

Lmao, I'd forgotten that it only says he was 'the merest fraction slower'. Jesus Drew, try not to overstate it or anything.

As I've said numerous times, its probable that Bane became faster than he was in RoT and then got "the merest fraction slower' by DoE.

A few other hints support this, such as his strength declining.

By "a tiny sliver."

And finally, we've got Bane saying that he's weaker than than earlier in life.

No, he only says that Zannah was waiting for his power to diminish. Plus again that doesn't deny the possibility of Bane becoming stronger between books and then declining.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 07:57 PM
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why can it not be that Bane became faster than he was in RoT and concealed it in training sessions? That satisfies both interpretations.

Because Bane himself mused he was slower?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:04 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Slower than when? RoT? I don't think so.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:06 PM
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

Slower than when?

Than when he had the orbalisk armor.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:06 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Thats not what it says.

"it was the merest fraction slower than it had once been."

Thats all. That could mean a frickin' week ago for all we know, lol.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:10 PM
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thats not what it says.

"it was the merest fraction slower than it had once been."

Thats all. That could mean a frickin' week ago for all we know, lol.

Did you even read the book? The entire passage is about how his body had begun to decline in the ten years since he lost the orbalisk armor.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:12 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

No, its about how he was declining, period. It doesn't say what you want it to. I don't see anything about him having declined specifically since RoT.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:19 PM
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, its about how he was declining, period. It doesn't say what you want it to. I don't see anything about him having declined specifically since RoT.

Because you don't want to. It's very clear for most [all?] not worshipping Bane.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 06:29 AM
Q99

Nephthys is right, it does not say how much decline had occurred or from which point.

And I'm no Bane worshipper, I'm on the other side of this fight.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 04:38 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I'm with Intrepid, it doesn't make much sense for an older, un-amped, admittedly degrading Bane to be faster than a younger, significantly amped, In the range of a decade.

Also notice how much better Zannah holds up against Bane's speed in their second fight--An increase in Skill alone would not change the fact that she couldn't even see him.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 04:53 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Don't ignore this:

"The aging process was subtle, but inescapable. Bane accepted this; what he lost in strength and speed he could easily compensate for with wisdom, knowledge, and experience."

Bane had degraded, but its not as if he hadn't improved in experience and knowledge as well. An increase in Force Mastery could easily off-set slight physical weakness.

Zannah improved in more than just skill. Its not like she couldn't get much faster than she was in RoT.

Last edited by Nephthys on Apr 16th, 2014 at 04:59 PM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2014 04:57 PM