KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » How does Rey understand BB-8?

How does Rey understand BB-8?
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Worried How does Rey understand BB-8?

in the OT, c3p0's whole purpose in life was to interpret R2 and other foreign/droid languages. yet bb-8 goes around whistling and beeping, and everyone understands him. i accept that poe may have learned to interpret the language of his own droid (not really, but it's at least plausible), but how does rey know his language?

at first i though maybe those lights inside bb's eye were actually a text message window like in luke's xwing, but half the time rey replies to him, she's not even looking at him.

unless they've standardized droid language, how is this even possible?

did jj abrams get confused and take universal translators from the star trek universe? is this just a gaping plot hole? help me.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 08:45 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I was always under the impression that Luke and Anakin could understand him.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 08:59 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

in ESB we see luke reading r2's messages in text form via his xwing's dashboard. when out of his ship, and lacking the assistance of c3p0, luke only has one-way conversations with r2, like one might have with a cat or dog. i dont recall anakin ever understanding r2's language. then again i dont recall much from the PT.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 22nd, 2015 at 09:17 PM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 09:12 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I guess they have canonised that it is possible for an organic to learn droid beepy-speak.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 09:22 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Rey was also able to understand Chewie as well.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 09:38 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Perhaps BB uses a different form of beep speech that humans can understand.

Rey does seem extremely gifted with languages generally though, perhaps force related, though would make more sense with living things rather than droids.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2015 11:30 PM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Rey was also able to understand Chewie as well.

i didnt notice that. if you're correct that would just be awful, lacking a future explanation.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I guess they have canonised that it is possible for an organic to learn droid beepy-speak.

i could accept it in the case of pilot and bb unit, since it could stand to reason that they made a new astromech droid language which pilots could understand, for safety's sake, since reading texts while driving is dangerous. no but seriously it would just be more efficient if they didnt have to rely on text like with r2/luke, especially in an intense situation.

that aside, rey had no reason to ever study bb'ese so how could she just happen to know it? all i can guess is that she's like rain man and just spent all those years in her AT-AT-hut studying weird languages she'd likely never need to speak.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 12:29 AM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i didnt notice that. if you're correct that would just be awful, lacking a future explanation.

When Finn and Han rescued Rey, Chewie mumbled something, Finn asks what Chewie said and Rey stated that Chewie said it was his idea. Or something close to that.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 12:41 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewLanceWindu
Keeper of the Prophecy

How is it awful? Han can understand Chewie no problem and that never needed an explanation.

Rey has been bored on Jakku while waiting for her parents, maybe she taught herself a ton of seemingly useless skills.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 02:55 AM
Click here to Send NewLanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by NewLanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
How is it awful? Han can understand Chewie no problem and that never needed an explanation.

i don't know, maybe han understood chewie because he lived with him all his life, and rey likely never even met a wookie before. am i grasping for straws?

Rey has been bored on Jakku while waiting for her parents, maybe she taught herself a ton of seemingly useless skills.

this is the only thing that makes sense to me. but i just said pretty much exactly that. however if rey has this ability of "i know as many languages as c3p0", imho it's very significant and should have been referenced in the film. i hope it's addressed later, at least in some minor way.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 23rd, 2015 at 03:36 AM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 03:32 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: How does Rey understand BB-8?

in the OT, c3p0's whole purpose in life was to interpret R2 and other foreign/droid languages. yet bb-8 goes around whistling and beeping, and everyone understands him. i accept that poe may have learned to interpret the language of his own droid (not really, but it's at least plausible), but how does rey know his language?

at first i though maybe those lights inside bb's eye were actually a text message window like in luke's xwing, but half the time rey replies to him, she's not even looking at him.

did jj abrams get confused and take universal translators from the star trek universe? is this just a gaping plot hole? help me.
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 05:52 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Didn't Rey understood two other non-standard languages during the film (other than BB-8's beeping and Chewie's growls)?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 06:37 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Re: Re: How does Rey understand BB-8?

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
(please log in to view the image)

babelfish. of course. why didn't i see it sooner.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 02:20 PM
queeq
Chaos

You should have. But now you have taken your first step in a larger universe.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 02:53 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Being a scavenger trading on jakuu with many aliens and probably droids, she picked up a few things while see was there....

I wonder if Luke could understand R2 fully now????although, not much is said on how much time r2 had with Luke in the past 30 years. Just a vision of them together

Last edited by JediRobin23 on Dec 24th, 2015 at 07:03 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 06:57 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i guess it's possible, but i dont like the idea of disney messing with that. of course it never made much sense that an astromech droid isn't able to speak other languages. of course it also doesnt make a lot of sense that they had to make a whole other type of droid, the size of a human, to do nothing more than interpret and shuffle about awkwardly and slowly. if they go too far and try to make sense of it, it's going to be shitty. i just hope they dont continue tinkering with that whole dynamic.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 02:28 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Jakku also seemed to be a hub for several different types of alien races/species. I'd imagine Rey's linguistics would become rather diverse simply by virtue of living in that sort of environment by herself for yearS.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:53 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Re: How does Rey understand BB-8?

I got both "The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary" and "Rey's Survival Guide" for Christmas so I can answer this.

No, he did not get confused and no, this is not a plot hole. In both books it is explained that Rey learned non-human languages, including Wookie and astromech binary, from her interactions with off-worlders. Also she herself notes in her survival guide that she managed to get a computer working at her wrecked AT-AT. She used it to study droid-speak and alien languages so that she could better communicate with people in Niima.

You should check them out. They're great books.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 01:14 AM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ That's what I was thinking/hoping would be the case, so cool. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 03:16 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Re: Re: How does Rey understand BB-8?

Originally posted by chilled monkey
I got both "The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary" and "Rey's Survival Guide" for Christmas so I can answer this.

I heard the Visual Dictionary says the reason for Kylo Ren's flickering saber is that the crystal that it's made from is cracked.

Is this true?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 12:30 AM